December 07, 2019, 06:36:58 AM

Author Topic: The Roy Hodgson Thread  (Read 131822 times)

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The Roy Hodgson Thread
« Reply #585 on: November 16, 2010, 12:58:24 PM »
For me this should be the final nail in the coffin for Roy. Ive said it before and I truly believe if Pacheco were English he would have been afforded more chances now. Roy is a disgrace. Comolli was supposedly hired to bring in the top young talent to the club so maybe his first job should be to stop Roy letting one of Spains top youngsters go.

http://www.guillembalague.com/rumores_desp.php?titulo=Begiristain%20move%20to%20Chelsea%20on%20hold;%20Pacheco%20wants%20Liverpool%20exit&id=289

Begiristain move to Chelsea on hold; Pacheco wants Liverpool exit

After three fairly lengthy meetings recently between Chelsea and Txiki Beguiristáin,  the plan for the former Barcelona sporting director to take on a role at Stamford Bridge has been put on hold. Initially, the idea had been for Beguiristáin to join Chelsea in January, but following negotiations, there are question marks over how quickly and to what extent Abramovich wishes to emulate FC Barcelona and revolutionise operations at the London club.

Dani Pacheco wants to leave Liverpool

Dani Pacheco was told by Roy Hodgson that he would be included in his plans, and the fact that the Spanish youngster has spent three years at Anfield, qualifying him as a `home-grown` talent helped him secure a professional contract at Liverpool. However, after failing to be selected by Hodgson, Pacheco wishes to leave Liverpool. Real Sociedad had wanted to take Pacheco on loan last summer.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: November 16, 2010, 02:10:30 PM »
yes, saw that last night,where Hiddink says he was approached in the summer by liverpool.........but has ruled himself out because of age.

just being the devil's advocate here - but has pelegini won much more in europe this past decade than woy?

what about hetzfeld, have you all ruled him out?  Proven winner at bayern.  Possibly perfect senior age.  Would know the german market inside out.  And scolari?

just sayin
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: November 16, 2010, 03:26:52 PM »
Take your point about Pellegrini not winning anything in Europe, dude, but he took Villareal from nowhere to the CL and got them playing decent football and then had a year at Real, where he got the best points total that Real had ever had (only beaten by Barca cos they're even betterer and have the 7 world cup champions (TM))...
Hitzfeld would be a possibility as he was awesome at Bayern...
Scolari didn't really impress at Chelsea, as he got sacked so not sure about him...

Clem

« Reply #588 on: November 16, 2010, 04:47:07 PM »
Anybody ios better than this clown. Is it okay to not care anymore while he's still there. In the mirror today he is selling Johnson to bring a twenty-nine yr old frenchman in. He's called Fanni. Of course he is.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: November 16, 2010, 05:06:49 PM »
Take your point about Pellegrini not winning anything in Europe, dude, but he took Villareal from nowhere to the CL and got them playing decent football and then had a year at Real, where he got the best points total that Real had ever had (only beaten by Barca cos they're even betterer and have the 7 world cup champions (TM))...
Hitzfeld would be a possibility as he was awesome at Bayern...
Scolari didn't really impress at Chelsea, as he got sacked so not sure about him...

my worry is that pelegrini is merely another woy - someone who can get a team playing nice looking football, and who occasionally comes close.............but is not a winner at the top table.

the bloke has won nothing in europe, apart from an intertoto cup in 2004.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: November 16, 2010, 05:09:19 PM »
Anybody ios better than this clown. Is it okay to not care anymore while he's still there. In the mirror today he is selling Johnson to bring a twenty-nine yr old frenchman in. He's called Fanni. Of course he is.

So despite Comolli's supposed search for younger players Roy's idea is to sell exactly the sort of player we're supposed to be looking at and bringing in the sort of player we're no longer supposed to be looking at. Obviously Roy didn't get the memo.
Then again, he let his mate have Smalling for relative peanuts. In every way he's the diametric opposite of Wenger. Henry needs to wise up and realise this, especially if he's wanting to follow the Arsenal method.

Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: November 16, 2010, 05:10:56 PM »
In the mirror today he is selling Johnson to bring a twenty-nine yr old frenchman in. He's called Fanni. Of course he is.
If that rumour is true then it is absolutely outrageous! I'm not sure how it would get past the new guidlines on purchasing players.

Kelly should be the new RB if Johnson doesn't want to stay. But if he's just piddled off with RH then he should be encouraged to stay with a quite word in Roy's ear. It makes a mockery of being a 'safe pair of hands' if you antagonise a player enough to make him want to leave.
Cheers,
Ray

Clem

« Reply #592 on: November 16, 2010, 05:18:05 PM »
Hate to ad to this, but Pacheco has been written up in the papers as wanting out in January too. He's one of the hottest prospects in world football. Who will Roy get to replace him - Kevin Davis probably.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: November 16, 2010, 05:27:10 PM »
Surely those in power at Anfield will be questioning these decisions just as we are. It's almost as though he's been planted to cause as much damage as possible. Mission accomplished bar the Napoli and Chelsea games.
Cheers,
Ray

Clem

« Reply #594 on: November 16, 2010, 05:43:31 PM »
Don't worry ASI, I think NESV cannot afford to ignore their customers much longer. There is talks on a lot of forums of protest chants throughout the west Ham game. At least that would bring things to a head - henry is going to have to start broaching the subject of Roy head-on.  The fans are the only ones who can change this. We can't afford to allow our club to keep making backward steps....having rid ourselves of the two cancers we need another surgical strike, or the malaise will worsen. From 'Blip' to 'flatline'.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: November 16, 2010, 05:56:34 PM »
Clem,

Unless there are chants of "Hodgson Out" on Saturday (which would be horrible to hear from a traditional point of view) I just don't see Mr Henry reversing a decision that quickly. But I'd be happy to be proved wrong. Roy is doing more damage than good at present.

I do take some comfort from the fact that Mr Henry is listening to fan groups and established journalists. But without a CE or Chairman who is knowledgeable about football matters Mr Henry has no-one who he can turn to for advice.

Brian Barwick's name was mentioned recently. Might he be a suitable appointment for Chairman? He is a fanatical LFC supporter.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: November 16, 2010, 06:57:58 PM »
my worry is that pelegrini is merely another woy - someone who can get a team playing nice looking football,

Dude, that would make him anything but another Roy.  :D

Hitzfeld's Swiss team are playing Hodgball and did in the World Cup.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: November 16, 2010, 07:47:59 PM »
Surely those in power at Anfield will be questioning these decisions just as we are. It's almost as though he's been planted to cause as much damage as possible. Mission accomplished bar the Napoli and Chelsea games.

ASI, I understand what you're saying and we'd all hope for it to be true, but we'd then be making the presumption that they already understand enough about 'soccer' to be able to make that assessment.

So far we've had a 'director of football strategy' appointed on the recommendation of Billy Beane, the general manager of Oakland As baseball team, who just happens to be a friend of Comolli. So why not Txiki Beguiristáin, the former Barca sporting director, who is now rumoured may be joining Chelsea sometime in the near future.

Yes they may have experience of running a sports business, but it's a sports business, based on baseball, in the sporting enviroment of the USA. We on the other hand are a business based on football, run in twin environments of England and Europe.

IMHO, the best first move they could have made was to ask David Dein to be a consultant and work with him a) to be educated and b) to discuss the best setup. If they've looked at Bayern, as was once mentioned in an earlier interview with Henry (if memory serves) they would see the advantages, at least in their case, of a football board. This could be made up of a former CEO of a football club (primarily from the transfer/financial side of operating a football club and player recruitment processes, someone like Dalglish as an ex player and manager and someone like Steve Heighway as an ex academy director with knowledge of the recruitment, education and training of young players.

At the moment their football knowledge extends to just one man, Damian Comolli. We need to have set out a blue print for the playing side, so that every team, at every level plays the same way.
Pep Segura and Rodolfo Borrell would be a good place to start as they will be producing the youngsters and therefore are the starting point of the process. Also Barca seem to have a decent way of playing.
Again, look at the past, the way we used to play, the way that has been adapted by Ferguson.

I have no doubt that Henry, Werner and Co will get it right, they've been too successful in their previous incarnations not to, but I think it will be a long ride over some very bumpy terrain for the first 1-3 years.

Clem

« Reply #598 on: November 16, 2010, 08:07:29 PM »
Good points TES. You know, a lot of people are talking about a role for Aldo, Thommo etc within the club because of their fanatical support and footy knowledge. Do you reckon it is in this role they can be most effective? Think ASI's call on Barwick would be sensible too, but I don't think the FA have a great track record either - especially about England

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: November 16, 2010, 08:39:34 PM »
Dude, that would make him anything but another Roy.  :D

Hitzfeld's Swiss team are playing Hodgball and did in the World Cup.

the swiss have very limited talent to call upon tho, Tes.

I look for winners, or those young coaches who show great promise.  When I see someone who is older, and hasn't won much, and I have to question why.  Pellegrini is 57 years old, and won nothing since he came to manage in europe, apart from an intertoto cup in 2004.

Woy had one good season at fulham, taking them to an Europa League final.

Craig Burley had Ipswich playing great football for a season, finishing 5th in the premiership. 

By 57 years of age, you're either a winner or you're not.  And Pellegrini doesn't come across, to me, as a winner.

He comes across as another Claudio Ranieri, Roy Evans or Martin Jol type.   Great blokes, top managers, but not winners.