December 13, 2019, 02:30:09 AM

Author Topic: The Roy Hodgson Thread  (Read 132651 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: The Roy Hodgson Thread
« Reply #600 on: November 16, 2010, 09:19:21 PM »
the swiss have very limited talent to call upon tho, Tes.

Agreed, hence them having to play Hodgball. We mentioned Hitzfeld in the Summer and he's definately right up there with the best. Again, like Guuuuuuus, does he want the day to day involvement or is this his way of winding down? Capello I think may also come under this catagory.

To further extend the argument, just as we've (hopefully) sorted out our finances (at least in debt reduction) before the Mancs, we need to get our long term management sorted before Taggart retires, so we're ready to take advantage of his era ending and we're not competing with them to attract the right man.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: November 16, 2010, 10:07:55 PM »
Agreed, hence them having to play Hodgball. We mentioned Hitzfeld in the Summer and he's definately right up there with the best. Again, like Guuuuuuus, does he want the day to day involvement or is this his way of winding down? Capello I think may also come under this catagory.

To further extend the argument, just as we've (hopefully) sorted out our finances (at least in debt reduction) before the Mancs, we need to get our long term management sorted before Taggart retires, so we're ready to take advantage of his era ending and we're not competing with them to attract the right man.

agreed.

yes, those in the know (in football circles) will most likely be aware of the circumstances of individuals like hiddink and hitzfeld.  hiddink has ruled himself out of club mgt.  hitzfeld, who knows.  It is odd that he lets himself manage the turkish national side.  Maybe he too, just wants a quiet number, that will top up his pension.

whoever we get.....and i hope for an experienced type like hitzfeld.....they have to be able to commit for at least 5 seasons.  Stability, with the right people in place, is the key to long term success.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: November 16, 2010, 10:43:32 PM »
Hi Tes,

An excellent reply. I do wonder why they felt it important to hire a director of football now if they don't feel there is value in the January market. Surely a British CE such as Dein or Barwick would be more important to help them with other appointments. I'm sure they're doing their homework on 'soccer' but it doesn't take an expert to know when the fans are unhappy. A quick Google of results against Stoke would show it was a bad result.

Things seem to have stalled in the last couple of weeks which isn't good. They need to take some advice about whether Hodgson is a capable manager. Listening to fan groups is a start but they also need to listen to others and keep an open mind. Unless we start winning games we will lose the chance of finishing 4th with all that that entails. This is proving a strange season and no one club has a stranglehold on the league. This opportunity must not be lost.

If it does take 1-3 years as you suggest I fear we will lose our keeper and Torres and who could blame them. That makes any rebuilding even more difficult. One month into their ownership the momentum MUST not be lost. I hope we see some senior club appointments by the end of the month.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: November 16, 2010, 10:48:16 PM »
Good points TES. You know, a lot of people are talking about a role for Aldo, Thommo etc within the club because of their fanatical support and footy knowledge. Do you reckon it is in this role they can be most effective? Think ASI's call on Barwick would be sensible too, but I don't think the FA have a great track record either - especially about England

Fanatical support is OK as long as it doesn't effect clarity of thought and purpose.

I would take Thommo ahead of Aldo. One of Paisley's captains, successful as reserve team coach and did well covering for Houllier. I think he's the less reactive out of the two.

I like Barwick. His executive experience is broad within difficult to run institutions, obviously is a fan but I don't think that would get in the way of the decision making process and understands the city and people as well as the club.

As for the FA, committees, committees, committees and a host of conflicting interests all pulling in different directions and the chief executive has an impossible task getting anything done due the nature of the setup. 

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: November 16, 2010, 11:19:11 PM »
Hi Tes,

An excellent reply. I do wonder why they felt it important to hire a director of football now if they don't feel there is value in the January market. Surely a British CE such as Dein or Barwick would be more important to help them with other appointments. I'm sure they're doing their homework on 'soccer' but it doesn't take an expert to know when the fans are unhappy. A quick Google of results against Stoke would show it was a bad result.

Things seem to have stalled in the last couple of weeks which isn't good. They need to take some advice about whether Hodgson is a capable manager. Listening to fan groups is a start but they also need to listen to others and keep an open mind. Unless we start winning games we will lose the chance of finishing 4th with all that that entails. This is proving a strange season and no one club has a stranglehold on the league. This opportunity must not be lost.

If it does take 1-3 years as you suggest I fear we will lose our keeper and Torres and who could blame them. That makes any rebuilding even more difficult. One month into their ownership the momentum MUST not be lost. I hope we see some senior club appointments by the end of the month.

Dein is 67 unbelievably, which is why I think a consultantcy role would have probably suited him more.
Barwick is a good shout, at least on the surface, however below is a couple of interesting articles about his tenure at the FA, but I would never put too much weight behind considering success or failure at the FA, as it's like trying to turn a battleship around in your average English river, getting anything done at that place.

Ivan Gazidis at Arsenal, who tookover from Dein, was someone who I'd never heard of and so far I am impressed, so maybe there are others out there. However, Gazidis has the advantage of having an established and experienced board, and of course Wenger.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/more-fa-jobs-to-go-after-exit-of-barwick-907117.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/oct/05/brian-barwick-fa

As far as rebuilding goes, I think there will inevitably be some collateral damage unfortunately and losing Reina and Torres would be the worst case scenario. I don't think there are two better players at the club to spearhead our hopeful rebirth and they are the sort of players we need to get back to attracting, good but not great before coming to us. Greatness being achieved whilst with us. I hope it doesn't prove to be Roy's legacy.

Clem

« Reply #605 on: November 17, 2010, 12:15:00 AM »

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: November 17, 2010, 02:50:31 PM »
Fanatical support is OK as long as it doesn't effect clarity of thought and purpose.

I would take Thommo ahead of Aldo. One of Paisley's captains, successful as reserve team coach and did well covering for Houllier. I think he's the less reactive out of the two.

I like Barwick. His executive experience is broad within difficult to run institutions, obviously is a fan but I don't think that would get in the way of the decision making process and understands the city and people as well as the club.

As for the FA, committees, committees, committees and a host of conflicting interests all pulling in different directions and the chief executive has an impossible task getting anything done due the nature of the setup.

Barwick, was he not in charge when Sven got a new 4 year contract before the WC only for England to have a disappointing WC but because they had given Sven such a huge deal they couldnt fire him.

As for Hitzfeld and Hiddink. Hiddink I would definitely be happy with as manager but saying that I would prefer someone more adventurous, proven if possible but younger and still something to prove in the game. Hitzfeld and Hiddink for me could be that little bit too old. But if it was a choice between them and Roy Id pack Roys bags for him. In fact at this stage I'd give lassie a go at managing the team if it meant getting rid of Roy.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: November 17, 2010, 03:33:01 PM »
I'd not judge any CE of the FA by what they did there. Any CE is just a figurehead and scapegoat for the incompetance of the committees by which the FA is run.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: November 17, 2010, 06:25:48 PM »
I'd give lassie a go at managing the team if it meant getting rid of Roy.

LMAO...comedy! and absolutely true...Lassie would give more feedback and directions from the sidelines.....

and on that theme...the littlest hobo would be world class!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 06:27:53 PM by barticus »

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: November 17, 2010, 06:35:32 PM »
Dein is 67 unbelievably, which is why I think a consultantcy role would have probably suited him more.
Barwick is a good shout, at least on the surface, however below is a couple of interesting articles about his tenure at the FA, but I would never put too much weight behind considering success or failure at the FA, as it's like trying to turn a battleship around in your average English river, getting anything done at that place.
They don't paint Barwick in a very good light but no-one is perfect and I'm sure he would have more passion for the LFC job than that at the FA. Henry and co seem astute businessmen and I have confidence that they will make a good appointment.

As far as rebuilding goes, I think there will inevitably be some collateral damage unfortunately and losing Reina and Torres would be the worst case scenario.
If we can get one quality player in January that would send out all the right signals to the team. I fear if we leave it until the summer Torres will be off if we don't make 4th or better. A lot of water to go under the bridge before then.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: November 17, 2010, 09:43:35 PM »
They don't paint Barwick in a very good light but no-one is perfect and I'm sure he would have more passion for the LFC job than that at the FA. Henry and co seem astute businessmen and I have confidence that they will make a good appointment.
If we can get one quality player in January that would send out all the right signals to the team. I fear if we leave it until the summer Torres will be off if we don't make 4th or better. A lot of water to go under the bridge before then.

I just don't think the current FA setup allows for dynamism or would ever allow a chief executive to make the telling changes neccessary, hence any CE will come out unfairly and inaccurately tarnished as a result.

I think the wateer will get choppy before it starts to flow in the manner we wish it to.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: November 17, 2010, 11:26:45 PM »
LMAO...comedy! and absolutely true...Lassie would give more feedback and directions from the sidelines.....

and on that theme...the littlest hobo would be world class!

Unlike Roy Lassie would at least know when the teams in trouble and go for help.

The littlest hobo hasn't proved it on the big stage like Lassie, Skippy and Flipper.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: November 17, 2010, 11:35:12 PM »
good stuff.

these characters all bring back memories.

skippy, hector's house, jackanory, black beauty, playschool, etc.

I can picture Woy reading a yarn on Jackanory.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: November 18, 2010, 12:02:17 AM »
Unlike Roy Lassie would at least know when the teams in trouble and go for help.

The littlest hobo hasn't proved it on the big stage like Lassie, Skippy and Flipper.

:D Juan on top form tonight.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: November 18, 2010, 12:03:54 AM »
good stuff.

these characters all bring back memories.

skippy, hector's house, jackanory, black beauty, playschool, etc.

I can picture Woy reading a yarn on Jackanory.

Thanks, Dude, I'll be humming myself to sleep to the tune of Black Beauty now.  :D