December 07, 2019, 07:37:30 AM

Author Topic: The Roy Hodgson Thread  (Read 131836 times)

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The Roy Hodgson Thread
« Reply #630 on: November 25, 2010, 12:42:12 AM »
If Roy has decided to sell Pacheco on the back of not stepping up against Northampton then is it not fair that the fans want Roy out on the back of almost every away game we've played this season.

Pachecos goal the other night in the reserves gave us a glimpse of what hes capable of. Why Roy is consistently ignoring such a promising talent and would be willing to let him go without any kind of run in the first team (even from the bench) again says more about Roys lack of ability to manage than it does about Pachecos ability.

The sheer fact Pacheco was a star for Spains u-19s this summer should be enough to warrant him a chance with the first team and that's without even acknowledging the reputation he has earned since his days at Barca and at Liverpool up to now.

Mavinga was another that reached the final of the under 19s with France. He was rewarded by being demoted to the reserves. Yet Roy insists on bringing through the English lads like Shelvey even though Pacheco was probably more deserving of a chance. Dont get me wrong its great to have home grown players breaking through but I sense it might be harder for young foreign lads to come through under Roy.

Roy is very quick to call on the fans to give him a chance to showcase his managerial capabilities but he doesnt seem willing to afford blatantly talented players Pacheco the same kind of chance. Hypocrite.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/pacheco-faces-anfield-exit-after-missed-opportunity-2142871.html

Pacheco faces Anfield exit after missed opportunity

By Ian Herbert

Thursday, 25 November 2010

Liverpool are ready to reduce their wage bill in January with Daniel Pacheco, the 19-year-old Spaniard considered one of the Barcelona academy's rising stars when he signed three years ago, among those manager Roy Hodgson may be prepared to lose.

The failure to maintain academy players' development between 16 and 19 has been a recurrent theme at Liverpool in recent years and Pacheco has remained inconsistent. There is considerable interest in him from Spain – including Malaga and Espanyol – and Hodgson has made it clear that the striker missed a major opportunity to impress in Liverpool's Carling Cup defeat to Northampton Town in September. Hodgson said: "He featured in that unfortunate Northampton game and it's a fact of life that it was a great opportunity for those outside the first 13 or 14 to really show me, 'You should be thinking of me'."

There is also uncertainty about the Anfield futures of defender Daniel Agger, whose calf injury continues to worry medical staff, and Ryan Babel, who claimed bizarrely on Twitter yesterday that assistant manager Sammy Lee had ordered him to stop practising during the Benitez era. Babel, whom Malaga are also tracking, wrote: "I wasn't allowed to train extra under our former manager, even when I wasn't involved. I even tried to train extra by doing it secretly, but the assistant manager came to tell me to stop."

Dr Peter Brukner, Liverpool's head of sports science, said Agger's injury, sustained by a kick to the calf on international duty, had caused calcification to a blood clot. The Dane could be a target for a Bundesliga club.

Clem

« Reply #631 on: November 25, 2010, 08:18:27 AM »
Reducing the wage bill by selling our ball-playing centre-back and one of the most promising youngsters at the club. In what universe is this making any sense?  Why is it that there are no complaints against this management of liverpool from anyone other than the fans? The ex-players had plenty to say last season have all gone very quiet.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: November 25, 2010, 06:57:59 PM »
Ronnie Whelan is especially noticable by his silence. The main ins and outs under Royinho have made little to no sense. You wonder how much long term damage will be done by the time NESV have learnt enough about the subject of their chosen 'sports business' to realise that Roy represents the complete antithesis of everything they've said about the club and their plans for it.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: November 25, 2010, 11:12:54 PM »
Agger's injury, sustained by a kick to his calf on international duty

someone kicked Dan's bullock when he was away on international duty?

I had hoped the scouse police had already caught that gang.

I'll get me coat.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: November 25, 2010, 11:16:10 PM »
Ryan Babel claimed on Twitter yesterday that assistant manager Sammy Lee had ordered him to stop practising during the Benitez era. Babel wrote: "I wasn't allowed to train extra under our former manager, even when I wasn't involved. I even tried to train extra by doing it secretly, but the assistant manager came to tell me to stop."

we couldn't afford the lost balls, or the new panes of glass in residents homes beyond melwood's perimeter wall.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: November 26, 2010, 12:44:20 AM »
we couldn't afford the lost balls, or the new panes of glass in residents homes beyond melwood's perimeter wall.

Sammy's obviously an animal lover. He didn't want to see the dead horse being flogged further.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: November 26, 2010, 12:49:49 AM »
someone kicked Dan's bullock when he was away on international duty?

I had hoped the scouse police had already caught that gang.

I'll get me coat.

Luckily for him it was only singular.   :'(  'Tis enough to make the eyes water just thinking about it.

I gather a kick to the calf is veally painful. I once read that on the offal. I'm trying to steak my claim for the worst joke ever. Though my normal load of tripe will take some beating. No doubt someone will have a beef with me about it.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 12:52:53 AM by Tes »

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: November 26, 2010, 01:47:03 AM »
Luckily for him it was only singular.   :'(  'Tis enough to make the eyes water just thinking about it.

I gather a kick to the calf is veally painful. I once read that on the offal. I'm trying to steak my claim for the worst joke ever. Though my normal load of tripe will take some beating. No doubt someone will have a beef with me about it.

as the local butcher says, you can't beat our meat.

I was too chicken to try.

the stakes were high.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: November 26, 2010, 01:46:40 PM »
 ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D

Taxi for Dude and Tes

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: November 26, 2010, 04:01:20 PM »
Its official, Roy Hodgson is insane. Speaking from his psychiatric ward Roy had this to say;

http://football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_6527266,00.html

Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson has no worries over his squad's mentality as they go in search of only their second Barclays Premier League away win of the season this weekend at Tottenham.

So far the only Barclays Premier League victory on opposition turf has come at Bolton, and that is only the second success outside Anfield since December 29 when they beat Aston Villa.

They have an ideal chance to start putting things right at White Hart Lane on Sunday, especially as Spurs' record suggests they are vulnerable after playing in the Champions League in midweek.

Liverpool's last game on the road was a disappointing 2-0 defeat at Stoke, which ended a six-match unbeaten run in all competitions.

However, Hodgson - whose side returned to winning ways with victory over West Ham last weekend - said he did not think playing away from home was a problem for his players.

"The away form has been bad for a long time," said the Reds boss.

"We've had one good victory and a couple of reasonable draws but I'm afraid in this league away victories are hard to come by.

"We've not been a lucky team so far, whatever we've got we've had to battle for.

"I don't think mentality comes into it. Against Stoke we had done well against them until they scored the goal.

"Then we took the game to them and conceded a second and everyone thinks the team played badly and were battered.

"I believe if we continue to play the way we did against West Ham we may get one or two but it is the level of performance which counts.

"Results determine everything and people look at the results and then judge the performance.

"I have to judge the performance sometimes when we win and say 'That was not very good and we could do better' and sometimes when we lose I have to look at it and say it was a bad result but not as bad as all that."

Hodgson will be without captain Steven Gerrard at the weekend as he is sidelined with a hamstring tear but is hopeful Joe Cole, who has not played since October 31 with a similar problem, could return against Spurs.

The 63-year-old is also contemplating using the versatility of full-back Fabio Aurelio now the Brazilian is back to fitness, having made only his fourth appearance of the season as a substitute against the Hammers.

"He can definitely play as a left midfielder," said Hodgson.

"When we re-signed him we were thinking we needed two good left-backs at the club and that he'd be competing for one of those places in the team.

"But I saw him do very well in Trabzonspor when he moved up into midfield, and he tells me that when he was in Valencia he played in midfield very often.

"It's definitely an option. If he can stay fit then it could be a really good boost to our team.

"Already I've got him pencilled in for the game against Steaua Bucharest, so let's hope he can stay fit until then and I can see him in a 90-minute game."

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: November 26, 2010, 04:14:49 PM »
Just in relation to some of the bits I highlighted above I think Roy is speaking through that semi permed hair of his because he is telling lies.

Firstly he talks about luck. If anything hes probably had more luck than most this season. Against Stoke we were lucky not to concede a penalty against Skrtel in the first half. In the second half we were lucky not to lose by more.

Wigan we were lucky to get a draw. Bolton a moment of class won us a game we didnt deserve to win. The list goes on so to say we have not been lucky is a lie.

The second point I highlighted Roy refers to our performance against Stoke and denies it was a bad performance. Although he disputes it we did get battered so im not sure whose rose tinted glasses Roy had borrowed that night.

Finally Roy is claiming results determine how people judge a game. That is normally true. However that has no bearing on the games we have been dropping points on this season, not only have results been poor performances on the whole have been atrocious so how Roy has the cheek to suggest that results are determining fans perceptions on performances is an absolute laugh.

Souness must be delighted that we've finally appointed someone that looks like they will finally overshadow his brutal reign as manager.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: November 26, 2010, 05:18:27 PM »
Insane indeed. This line caught my eye...

We've had one good victory and a couple of reasonable draws but I'm afraid in this league away victories are hard to come by.

Spoken like a true Fulham manager who would only expect to get a couple of away wins each season. For a top 4 club I would expect to win around 35-45% of our away games with only a handful of defeats. Just like the 08-09 season.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: November 26, 2010, 06:57:12 PM »
Insane indeed. This line caught my eye...

We've had one good victory and a couple of reasonable draws but I'm afraid in this league away victories are hard to come by.

Spoken like a true Fulham manager who would only expect to get a couple of away wins each season. For a top 4 club I would expect to win around 35-45% of our away games with only a handful of defeats. Just like the 08-09 season.

I missed that line ASI.

Completely agree "spoken like a true Fulham manager". The fact that hes still coming out with lines like that makes him sound like he still doesnt understand what it means to be a top top manager / manager of LFC.

Clem

« Reply #643 on: November 26, 2010, 06:59:24 PM »

I blame Henry for this.  The failure to dealing with the failure is really making me hate him and them.  I want the G&H reign over - and that means Roy out for me. And now.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: November 26, 2010, 07:41:57 PM »
"The away form has been bad for a long time," said the Reds boss.

Who's away form would that be Roy? Liverpool's or your's in English football?

Juan, I agree with you on luck. We've had results the performances didn't merit. The crazy goal against Sunderland, as opposed to their beach ball goal. As you mentioned, the penalty incident away to Stoke as opposed to a perfectly good goal at home to Stoke etc.

Our 1 defeat in 8. I presume he's including European games also. Hardy a fair comparison, when we we would hope we were doing OK in the second tier competition.