December 13, 2019, 03:36:44 PM

Author Topic: The Roy Hodgson Thread  (Read 132789 times)

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The Roy Hodgson Thread
« Reply #675 on: December 05, 2010, 10:53:23 PM »
Cheers Tes, super piece from Dion Fanning.

Unfortunately we will have to put up with mediocrity for a while longer by the looks. I don't know what Henry is waiting for but in my opinion he is definitely waiting for something. Whether its a chance to brush up on all things football or whether hes being advised to bide his time, the guy is definitely formulating some sort of plan. And while he does that we get look look at and listen to all things Roy.

About 6 weeks ago I didnt fancy the thoughts of Rijkarrd becoming boss. As the season progresses I'd hire him in a heart beat.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: December 05, 2010, 10:58:35 PM »
Touching on what Fanning was saying about Houllier, the more and more Houllier speaks about his time at Liverpool and credits himself for the night in Istanbul the more my respect for Houllier wanes. I supported Houllier until the end but I did want him to leave. Hes now looking back on his final few years with rose tinted glasses. As for Carragher, I was very surprised he came out and praised Houllier as he did recently. It wasnt the praise but more the way he seemed to undermine benitez by calling Houllier the best manager that he ever worked for. Lets face it Houllier brought us so far but Rafa instilled a tactical sharpness on the team that was never there under Houllier.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: December 05, 2010, 11:31:48 PM »
About 6 weeks ago I didnt fancy the thoughts of Rijkarrd becoming boss. As the season progresses I'd hire him in a heart beat.

Juan, it's funny you saying that, I was thinking the same the other day when thinking about who was available now or who may be available in the Summer and if that was why Henry & Co appeared to be waiting and who could they be waiting for. Just the thought of us playing a more progressive style and one that increases the chances of winning 3 points or at least positively sets out to, as opposed to settling for 1, made Rijkarrd actually appear appealing, where previously I'd had doubts about him.

It's just that the cloud of the Toxics has been lifted and at least financially we're not going to go bust, but it's been replaced by another cloud, and one that feels like in footballing terms we're on the edge of the abyss. 
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: December 06, 2010, 10:48:47 AM »
yes, it's bad form old boy to score - and potentially make our adverseries sad.
much better to play the game, what.
winning is for losers.

with apologies to a certain Lord Tennyson

'Someone had blunder'd: (Hodgson)
Theirs not to make reply, (Put that white round thing in the opposition net? Whatever next?)
Theirs not to reason why, (Defend men! Even when the opposition defend! Just in case, there's a sneak attack!)
Theirs but to do and die:' (No 3 points even in a winning position, the most important thing to do, is bring on even more defensive minded players instead of hungry, fresh and attack minded players who might sour the wine tasting festivities afterwards)

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: December 06, 2010, 10:50:19 AM »

“I’m just hoping that after 19 games we will be in the top half of the table with a platform to enable us to do a little bit better in the second half of the season.”

That's a new low even for our manager. That's probably the most depressing thing I've ever heard from a Liverpool manager.

Isn't this quote just a sackable offence?

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: December 06, 2010, 12:00:53 PM »
Isn't this quote just a sackable offence?

Paraphrased as: 'If we can be tenth after 19 games, maybe we can end the season reaching as high as 9th or even 8th. Afterall, we finished 12th last season and it would therefore represent a huge improvement and justify my claims that my methods, which are universally respected throughout the world of football, as I am, are the only way to achieve success.'

Roy Hodgson, Fulham manager, 6th December 2010.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: December 06, 2010, 01:05:09 PM »
Paraphrased as: 'If we can be tenth after 19 games, maybe we can end the season reaching as high as 9th or even 8th. Afterall, we finished 12th last season and it would therefore represent a huge improvement and justify my claims that my methods, which are universally respected throughout the world of football, as I am, are the only way to achieve success.'

Roy Hodgson, Fulham manager, 6th December 2010.

Ok, you got me, now i'm scared...

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: December 06, 2010, 03:51:09 PM »
Newcastle have sacked Chris Houghton.

Very very harsh decision and their managerial merrygoround continues. The only problem with Houghton is that he isnt high profile enough for them. Where else does Mike Ashley expect Newcastle to be in the table, challenging for the Champions league places. I hope Ashley learns a tough lesson and they spiral to the relegation zone.

All that said and with the risk of sounding completely hypocritical I find it interesting that a club that has just being promoted sacks their manager because they are 11th in the table yet Liverpool continue to stand by theirs even though they are meant to have an established premier league team with 3 world class players but are a place lower in the league. I dont want to turn into Newcastle but as Shanks once said "Aim for the sky and you'll reach the ceiling. Aim for the ceiling and you'll stay on the floor".

Hodgsons in the basement rearranging furniture  ???

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: December 06, 2010, 06:54:12 PM »
Newcastle have sacked Chris Houghton.

Very very harsh decision and their managerial merrygoround continues. The only problem with Houghton is that he isnt high profile enough for them. Where else does Mike Ashley expect Newcastle to be in the table, challenging for the Champions league places. I hope Ashley learns a tough lesson and they spiral to the relegation zone.

All that said and with the risk of sounding completely hypocritical I find it interesting that a club that has just being promoted sacks their manager because they are 11th in the table yet Liverpool continue to stand by theirs even though they are meant to have an established premier league team with 3 world class players but are a place lower in the league. I dont want to turn into Newcastle but as Shanks once said "Aim for the sky and you'll reach the ceiling. Aim for the ceiling and you'll stay on the floor".

Hodgsons in the basement rearranging furniture  ???

Crazy. He got them straight back up, no mean achievement in itself, and are well on the way to re-establishing them comfortably within the league.

7th was rightly regarded as a terrible season but if Roy remains, it'll be one we'd like to swop this one for.

As for being in the basement. He'd get vertigo, so he's digging a below ground two storey extension so he can finally feel at home and settled back in 'his' comfort zone.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: December 09, 2010, 04:35:25 PM »
not been around much for a few days.......meant to reply to Juan's big post (one that originbally got lost when he tried to post it).  Unable to see it.....can't recall the thread it was in.

anyroads, my take on Woy.

I like Woy's positive football.  At Anfield his team presses and is pleasing on the eye.

However, the problem for Woy is that when the chips are down, he is very limited, tactically. 

This is very obvious away from home.  When he has to make changes, he is stuck.  There is no plan b.  There is no good use of subs.  He always ends up reacting too late.  As opposed to being proactive.

Spurs was a case in point.  A top manager would have went on and won that game.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: December 09, 2010, 10:06:25 PM »
Roy's now got himself in a muddle of Lucas' new contract:

Lucas in line for new deal

Last updated: 9th December 2010   

Liverpool are planning to offer midfielder Lucas Leiva a new contract at Anfield.

The Brazil international's future at Liverpool has been the subject of speculation for some time with the player failing to win over some of the club's fans.

However, Lucas has arguably enjoyed his best vein of form for the club in recent weeks since joining from Gremio in the summer of 2007.

Reds boss Roy Hodgson has now revealed the club plan to sit down and hold talks with Lucas over a contract extension.

"A couple of weeks ago Damien Comolli (director of football strategy) mentioned to me about him wanting to get in touch with Lucas's agent to discuss a new contract, but I can't quite frankly remember where we are," said Hodgson.

"Certainly if you ask me the question 'is Lucas welcome at the club and would we like to keep him?' then the answer is a resounding 'yes'."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12874_6563918,00.html

::) Simply state that we're looking to negotiate a new deal with Lucas. Too honest or the beginnings of something more worrying?

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: December 10, 2010, 12:00:15 PM »
not been around much for a few days.......meant to reply to Juan's big post (one that originbally got lost when he tried to post it).  Unable to see it.....can't recall the thread it was in.

anyroads, my take on Woy.

I like Woy's positive football.  At Anfield his team presses and is pleasing on the eye.

However, the problem for Woy is that when the chips are down, he is very limited, tactically. 

This is very obvious away from home.  When he has to make changes, he is stuck.  There is no plan b.  There is no good use of subs.  He always ends up reacting too late.  As opposed to being proactive.

Spurs was a case in point.  A top manager would have went on and won that game.

All very true dude.

In fairness to Roy I think he is starting to show that playing at home isnt a problem, or is less of a problem than the likes of the game against Blackpool suggested anyway. I wont get carried away with the home performances just yet. As Roy proved at Fulham a team can have a great home record without being able to string two wins together all season on the road. At Fulham in alot of ways a very bad away record is acceptable when you produce at home.  But Liverpool is a massive step up from Fulham. Away results are crucial if a team is going to compete. But again competing is the lowest expectation for the fans at LFC, competing should be a given, Roy has to win to be a success.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: December 10, 2010, 12:06:08 PM »
I dont think Roy got the memo on Glen Johnson being played in midfield because even Glen Johnson seems to be up for it.

Its a no brainer. Sometimes I think managers dont want to be seen caving in to media or fan pressure so no matter how good an idea may be they wont give it a chance.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport-news/liverpool-fc/2010/12/10/glen-johnson-i-could-be-liverpool-fc-s-gareth-bale-55578-27800917/

GLEN JOHNSON reaches a Liverpool landmark tomorrow – while admitting he would be open to becoming Anfield's version of Gareth Bale.

Johnson is expected to make his 50th appearance for the club when Roy Hodgson's side travel to Newcastle United aiming for back-to-back Premier League wins.

The England international continued his return to form by playing a part in the 3-0 win over Aston Villa on Monday night that moved Liverpool up to eighth place.

Johnson has been much improved since overcoming a succession of injury problems in recent months that ruled him out of six games and had hampered his play earlier in the campaign.

Now the defender is determined to remain on an upward curve and celebrate his half-century with three points.

“It's fantastic to reach milestones in your career,” said Johnson. “That is what most players look for and those are the things you're proud of.

“I'm playing better now than I was at the start of the season. I know that and I always know how well I'm playing. I've picked things up a little bit now but the team's the most important thing.

“If you always knew exactly what it was you'd never have a bad game, but we didn't have a long rest in the summer, then we came back and I got loads of niggling injuries.

“It was hard to get a run in the team and get that consistency every week. Touch wood the injuries are now behind me.”

Bale has earned rave reviews this season having been transformed from a left-back to a left-winger at Tottenham Hotspur, although he was largely subdued by Johnson during Liverpool's trip to White Hart Lane last month.

The Anfield man shares the strong attacking attributes of his Welsh counterpart, and would be willing to move further up the right flank should he be asked.

“I'd be happy to play anywhere,” said Johnson. “It's obviously the manager's decision where I am selected to play. Wherever that is I'd be happy. I've played a few times as a winger before.”

Should Hodgson be tempted to accommodate such a move, Johnson believes there would be no problem filling the vacant right-back slot.

The England man has be impressed by the emergence of Martin Kelly, whose consistency in 12 outings this season earned him a new contract last week.

And Johnson is confident the youngster could follow his lead and represent his country.

“He's a good player, and a nice boy as well,” said Johnson. “He wants to learn and he works hard. I think he'll be a good player for Liverpool.

“He's a good defender. I can definitely see him playing for England one day.”

Tomorrow's trip to the North East is the first of six Premier League games in the next three-and-a-half weeks that are likely to shape the remainder of Liverpool's campaign.

And although seven points adrift of fourth-placed Manchester City, Johnson reckons Hodgson's men could yet make a charge for the Champions League qualification places.

“We've got some fantastic players, great staff in and around the club, and I'm sure if we can keep playing like we are we'll be there or thereabouts,” said the 26-year-old.

Hodgson, meanwhile, has dismissed suggestions that he may choose to cash in on Johnson in next month's transfer window with Juventus leading a number of potential suitors.

“Agents. You don't have to look very far these days,” said the Liverpool manager. “As far as I am concerned Glen Johnson will be a Liverpool player certainly until the end of his contract and possibly beyond it.”

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: December 10, 2010, 03:57:58 PM »
I dont think Roy got the memo on Glen Johnson being played in midfield because even Glen Johnson seems to be up for it.

Its a no brainer. Sometimes I think managers dont want to be seen caving in to media or fan pressure so no matter how good an idea may be they wont give it a chance.

It really does make you wonder. The same things were being said about Bale, but Rednapp's used his common sense. As for managers not wanting to be seen as caving in, it just shows a weakness in their character. If someone suggests something they should always be open to taking it on board for the good of the team, and ultimately, their job.
In reality it shouldn't take the media or fans to point this out. You'd hope the manager and his coaching staff would see these things and then act on them.
It could even be dressed up as giving Kelly more 1st team experience if Roy's pride is such a big deal to him (and I'm not suggesting that's the case). Now even Johnson's floated the idea, surely with the games we have coming up, there should be an opportunity or six to try it over a period of games.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: December 10, 2010, 09:11:02 PM »
All very true dude.

In fairness to Roy I think he is starting to show that playing at home isnt a problem, or is less of a problem than the likes of the game against Blackpool suggested anyway. I wont get carried away with the home performances just yet. As Roy proved at Fulham a team can have a great home record without being able to string two wins together all season on the road. At Fulham in alot of ways a very bad away record is acceptable when you produce at home.  But Liverpool is a massive step up from Fulham. Away results are crucial if a team is going to compete. But again competing is the lowest expectation for the fans at LFC, competing should be a given, Roy has to win to be a success.

agreed, Juan.

Liverpool is a massive step up (from Fulham).  Winning away is a key requirement, every other away game or so (if one is to push for league titles).

Roy has never had that ability, across his career.

It's unfair of us to start expecting a bloke almost about to draw his pension, to change his spots now.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.