December 06, 2019, 12:30:12 AM

Author Topic: The Roy Hodgson Thread  (Read 131621 times)

Offline Jim B

• Just me
  • Administrator
  • A regular
    • View Profile
    • Anfield Road
Re: The Roy Hodgson Thread
« Reply #840 on: January 09, 2011, 10:52:57 AM »
It's being reported this morning that Roy was dismissed by e-mail. If that is the case then I'm sorry, but that is a shoddy way to sack the manager of Liverpool Football Club. What a contrast to the dignified way Gerard Houllier was dismissed when David Moores and Rick Parry ran the club. It's not a pleasant thing to happen but there are ways of treating people and that just wasn't right.

Was it beyond the capabilities of the owners to fly over and do it face-to-face and then take in the game today?

To be fair that sounds like a load of nonsense aimed at stirring up trouble.

If they were based here they'd have face-to-face conversations followed-up by an exchange of letters to put it all in writing.

They'd talk first, probably to indicate that they needed to sort something out. Then there'd be more talks, probably through lawyers, agents or someone from the LMA, because if Roy resigned he'd lose all the money left on his contract, if the club fired him they'd have to pay him the full amount of his contract.

The only difference with them being overseas is that some of that face-to-face stuff will be done by phone, and some of it will be done by - perhaps - Ian Ayre or Damien Comolli on their behalf. And where a letter would be typed up and handed to Roy under old-fashioned protocol, a letter will be typed up and emailed over instead - as an attachment.

I'm not saying the owners have 100% acted appropriately, but I doubt they've acted too shoddily.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: January 09, 2011, 11:25:31 AM »
Jim,

I'm only reporting what was said on BBC Radio5Live this morning and by some of the newspapers. I agree that there is probably more to it than has been reported. The Daily Mail is not the most reliable of sources.

If we had a CE it would have been far more straight-forward but sadly we're still waiting to hear if anyone will be appointed. There have been no rumours of who might get the job or even who was interviewed. Hopefully this can be resolved soon.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Jim B

• Just me
  • Administrator
  • A regular
    • View Profile
    • Anfield Road
« Reply #842 on: January 09, 2011, 12:05:27 PM »
Jim,

I'm only reporting what was said on BBC Radio5Live this morning and by some of the newspapers. I agree that there is probably more to it than has been reported. The Daily Mail is not the most reliable of sources.

If we had a CE it would have been far more straight-forward but sadly we're still waiting to hear if anyone will be appointed. There have been no rumours of who might get the job or even who was interviewed. Hopefully this can be resolved soon.

By nonsense, I mean the people in the media reporting it. I saw it mentioned in a "what the papers say" as coming from The People; I know that at least one of their senior football writers was one of those who sounded like a big fan of Roy's and ridiculed the idea of Kenny coming back.

From what I've heard a new CEO shouldn't be very far away, although last I heard there were still some talks to be had.

Actually as far as sources go the Daily Mail now has Dom King working there so it's worth reading his stuff. But the Mail on Sunday is a different set of staff and might not be quite so good to trust. Except for Kenny's own column, if it continues.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: January 09, 2011, 12:38:57 PM »
Hi Jim,

Yes, I'm pretty sure you didn't mean me spouting rubbish.  ;)

I'll keep an eye out for Dom King's articles. There is a chap at the Daily Mirror too who has written some good articles. His name escapes me.

God news on the CEO front. Can't come a day too soon.

The team's just been announced. Johnson out 'cos wife in labour (small l)  ;D. Nice to see Kelly and Aurelio back in although I suspect Kelly was a given with Johnson out. Big game!!
Cheers,
Ray

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: January 09, 2011, 03:09:25 PM »
I saw the email thingie too - but I would not trust the media. 

And that's great news re a new CEO.  Excellentae!
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: January 09, 2011, 09:08:57 PM »
From what I've heard a new CEO shouldn't be very far away, although last I heard there were still some talks to be had.

That should improve the executive management of the club. What a huge job awaits the lucky appointee.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline thisisanfield

• Just starting out
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: January 09, 2011, 09:14:11 PM »
[I'm only reporting what was said on BBC Radio5Live this morning and by some of the newspapers. I agree that there is probably more to it than has been reported. The Daily Mail is not the most reliable of sources.]

Wasting time talking about how Roy was sacked unless there is credible evidence, and until then you are just creating negative stuff when we have had enough of it. Players performed for Kenny today, selection, tactics and subs were right, webb destroyed the game. Delighted with the lads performance.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: January 09, 2011, 09:26:16 PM »
In addition to Webb, where was the linesman on that side. His view should have been clear. Probably too busy looking at Taggart's autograph on his flag.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.