September 17, 2019, 05:21:19 AM

Author Topic: Hotmail / Live users  (Read 6163 times)

Offline Jim B

• Just me
  • Administrator
  • A regular
    • View Profile
    • Anfield Road
Hotmail / Live users
« on: June 04, 2008, 08:46:03 PM »
If you use Hotmail or Live.com/live.co.uk to register here you might have problems fully registering.

Hotmail or Live.com/co.uk are not getting their activation emails.

Microsoft actually filter emails out before they get as far as the junk folder. For some reason emails sent automatically by the forum are not getting through to hotmail users, not even in the junk folder. If I use the same address, same server, to manually send an email to hotmail it usually goes into the junk folder.

And they don't even send a bounce message, so there is no way of knowing at this end if you got your mail or not. I set up a test account using a live.co.uk address and it's just not getting through if the forum sends it.

I checked out what was needed to fix this, and fixed it, I think. Trouble is, Microsoft decide to block a server or domain name and it stays that way for weeks, from what I've read, even if you fix things to suit them! They've had no spam from this domain or server (I've got access to a tool they provide to show this) but because the initial invites were sent before I added an SPF record it seems to have fallen into a blacklist somewhere.

Anyway, anyone who uses hotmail, I've now manually activated your accounts, so you can sign in now.

Anyone new who wants to register, if you can then try using a non-hotmail account (Gmail's better anyway!) and you should get your activation email straight away.

If you can't, or if you don't want to, the best option would be to register, then if you don't get the activation email drop me a line so I can activate your account.

email: theforum at anfieldroad dot co dot uk
or: anfieldroad dot com at gmail dot com
or use the contact form on the other part of the site - http://www.anfieldroad.com/contact-us/

I am The Egg Man

Re: Hotmail / Live users
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 01:12:00 PM »
Jim when are you going to remove the beta from the header?

RobbieOR

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 04:07:39 PM »
yeh i got that i had to use me mas email address to register

Offline Jim B

• Just me
  • Administrator
  • A regular
    • View Profile
    • Anfield Road
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 07:40:15 PM »
Set yourself up with a gmail address, it's better than hotmail (in my view) and although some mail will still go into your spam folder at least they let you decide. Hotmail just block some emails off altogether.

I'll change the header soon I think Egg.

I am The Egg Man

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 06:16:29 PM »
Set yourself up with a gmail address, it's better than hotmail (in my view) and although some mail will still go into your spam folder at least they let you decide. Hotmail just block some emails off altogether.

I'll change the header soon I think Egg.

@Jim, why don't you also link the two sites with tabs on the top of the page.  It would be better if we could navigate to the other site without having to leave this site.  It wouldn't be to difficult to link them with a tab at the top of the page would it?

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 08:32:17 PM »
couple of suggestions, for what they're worth

perhaps consider:

click in the settings to have the reply box at the bottom of the thread page.

when the poster sends his post, the page should reload to the thread page (rather than the main forum page).

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Jim B

• Just me
  • Administrator
  • A regular
    • View Profile
    • Anfield Road
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 08:57:49 PM »
@Jim, why don't you also link the two sites with tabs on the top of the page.  It would be better if we could navigate to the other site without having to leave this site.  It wouldn't be to difficult to link them with a tab at the top of the page would it?
It shouldn't be difficult - I'll have a look at it.

Offline Jim B

• Just me
  • Administrator
  • A regular
    • View Profile
    • Anfield Road
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 08:58:57 PM »
couple of suggestions, for what they're worth

perhaps consider:

click in the settings to have the reply box at the bottom of the thread page.

when the poster sends his post, the page should reload to the thread page (rather than the main forum page).

I'll have a look at those - that's how it works for me, but it might be I set that on my own profile.

I am The Egg Man

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 06:59:28 PM »
Jim why don't you have a virtual betting system on the site I have just seen one on this site.  Excuse me for the site

http://www.manutdtalk.com/forums/other-sports/11625-2008-wimbledon-winner-womans-singles.html

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 07:07:38 PM »
Jim, can you make a pot of tea (while you're out there in kitchen).

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 07:08:36 PM »
Jim, there's klingons on the starboard bow (starboard bow)

Offline Jim B

• Just me
  • Administrator
  • A regular
    • View Profile
    • Anfield Road
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 04:31:14 PM »
I'd forgotten about all these requests and ideas.

Been pretty busy of late, but I'll see if I can get onto some of them.

Anyway - it now looks like the hotmail/live.com issue is sorted. My test userid got its activation email after having a spell without it arriving in the hotmail account.

And now it means I don't have to use hotmail again.:D