December 07, 2019, 08:56:47 AM

Author Topic: Another great article from Oliver 'The Red' Kay  (Read 1152 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Another great article from Oliver 'The Red' Kay
« on: August 10, 2009, 01:57:55 AM »
Liverpool may have missed the chance to end Premier League title drought

Oliver Kay

August 10, 2009

As the curtain fell on the last Premier League campaign, with Newcastle United falling on to their sword and Phil Brown leading a singsong at the KC Stadium, Liverpool’s players embarked on a lap of honour at Anfield, basking in the warmth of the crowd and contemplating what might have been.

Those same supporters will be at White Hart Lane on Sunday for their opening game of the new Barclays Premier League campaign, but, while hope may feel as if it springs eternal at this time of year, the feeling persists that Liverpool might not have a better chance to land the title than last season.

Sir Alex Ferguson has some dubious theories where Liverpool are concerned, but he was right in saying that his team’s advantage last season was in the contribution of his foot-soldiers, John O’Shea, Jonny Evans, Darren Fletcher, Park Ji Sung and others.

Liverpool’s fringe players could not match that impact and, looking down their squad list, it is not easy to conclude that they have the strength in depth to go one better this time. More is expected of Lucas Leiva and, if he gets his head right, Ryan Babel, but Philipp Degen, Andrea Dossena, Nabil El-Zhar, Andriy Voronin and David Ngog are not names to inspire confidence.

When you consider that their equivalents at Old Trafford are the Da Silva twins, Nani, Anderson, Michael Owen and Macheda, not to mention Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes, it does not look like a fair fight, even in the post-Cristiano Ronaldo age.

United’s squad includes 25 full internationals, three more than Chelsea. Liverpool have 18, including Degen and El-Zhar. It is also arguable that United’s non-international youngsters (Rafael and Fabio Da Silva, Craig Cathcart, Gabriel Obertan, Danny Welbeck and Federico Macheda) are better equipped to make an impact this season than Daniel Ayala, Damien Plessis, Jay Spearing, Ngog and Krisztian Nemeth.

Under normal circumstances, after a summer in which the purchases of Glen Johnson and Aquilani have been all but offset by sales, Rafael Benítez would be only too keen to point out such “facts”. For whatever reason, he has toed a diplomatic line, not making an issue of the fact that he has had to break even in the transfer market.

The frustration for Liverpool is that Benítez might only have needed a little support from Tom Hicks and George Gillett Jr to effect the final shift in the balance of power, but the Americans’ priority this summer has been to pay the interest on the debts that they brought on the club. Great work, guys. And while we’re at it, how’s that stadium coming along?

http://timesonline.typepad.com/thegame/2009/08/liverpool-may-missed-the-chance-to-end-premier-league-title-drought.html
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: Another great article from Oliver 'The Red' Kay
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 10:11:36 AM »
Oliver Kay has long been one of my fave football journalists. 

He seems to be a fan of the club.

He's right about the depth issue.

But, sadly, with much lesser monies in our pocket, we will always have less depth than Chelsea and Man Utd (and Man City).
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Another great article from Oliver 'The Red' Kay
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 10:25:13 AM »
Oliver Kay has long been one of my fave football journalists. 

He seems to be a fan of the club.

He's right about the depth issue.

But, sadly, with much lesser monies in our pocket, we will always have less depth than Chelsea and Man Utd (and Man City).

There's definately a 'depth' problem at the club - pockets of the owners, understanding of football as a 'business' and consequently definately quality in terms of the squad, and maybe still the best 11.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.