October 16, 2019, 03:26:03 PM

Author Topic: Pre-Season So Far  (Read 3354 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Pre-Season So Far
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 12:58:35 AM »
I expected Babel to push on last season......it didn't happen.

I always had high hopes for the lad.  But my hopes were dampened last year.

But I have to say, that I am not certain that he will now exel at Anfield.....at least not on a consistent basis. 

Hope I'm wrong.

Very disappointed in Babel today. With Riera out injured and being picked ahead of Yossi, I'd hoped Ryan would seize his chance to make the left side his own. I'm not sure what the problem with him is. Midweek for the Dutch he looked good, today he looked lost. If Rafa drops him against Stoke it could make things worse, but can he really leave out Yossi in order to help Babel? Unless Gerrard suffers a reaction to his groin injury or Kuyt starts on the bench, then I think Yossi will have to replace Babel and we'll be back to square one with him.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2009, 10:08:52 AM »
Very disappointed in Babel today. With Riera out injured and being picked ahead of Yossi, I'd hoped Ryan would seize his chance to make the left side his own. I'm not sure what the problem with him is. Midweek for the Dutch he looked good, today he looked lost. If Rafa drops him against Stoke it could make things worse, but can he really leave out Yossi in order to help Babel? Unless Gerrard suffers a reaction to his groin injury or Kuyt starts on the bench, then I think Yossi will have to replace Babel and we'll be back to square one with him.

The thing about Babel is that hes not a left sided player. Thats not defending his poor showing but I just think being played out of position isnt helping Babel find his form. When quizzed on lack of depth up front last week Rafa countered that argument by asking had people forgotten that Babel is a striker. Why not start playing him there, even if it just coming on from the bench. Its clear by now that hes never going to make it as a left winger.

Tes I dont see how Rafa cant drop him for Stoke. Benayoun is a much more consistent footballer who has the ability to unlock a stubborn defence. Babel may have pace but thats no good when all you can do when you get the ball is put the head down and run. He doesnt even do the simple things properly. For me its use Babel in his more natural position up front or flog him.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2009, 12:17:45 PM »
Babel's played his whole career as a left sided attacker, despite being right footed. It seems it's part of a young striker's education. Being able to work the flanks is an important quality in an all round forward.

As for Stoke, it's a double edged sword. Drop him, it could set him back further. Play him, and we could be potentially playing with 10 men.

I think the only time he would get to start up front is in the absence of Torres. Nando I think is suffering from too much football (pointless confeds cup). Maybe we give him an hour on Wednesday and then bring on Babel, likewise with Gerrard, who also looks as though he's being hampered by injury.

Start Benny on the left, moving him centrally to replace Gerrard and give El Zahr a run out on the left as sub.

Back to Babel. I'm not sure we'd have time to replace him if he were sold or that Rafa would even get the cash from the sale. Maybe he could get a run out with the reserves as a striker until he develops his game and sorts the mental side out. Either way, he could prove to be one of many sources of frustration for us this season.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2009, 02:03:43 PM »
Benny has always been superb IMHO.  I've always been a big fan of the lad.

Babel - I'm not sure his problems are totally related to position. 

I think the lad just won't/can't do the basics for some reason.  For me, when I watch, all I see is someone who constantly gives the ball away.  I rarely see any end-product. 

That has to change, or else he will be coming off the bench again this season (as opposed to starting games).

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.