December 05, 2019, 09:58:56 PM

Author Topic: Pre-Season So Far  (Read 3432 times)

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
Pre-Season So Far
« on: July 26, 2009, 07:48:02 PM »
Good result for the reds today against Singapore 5-0 and a much improved performance from the previous friendlies. Nemeth bagged a couple and with clinical finishes. I had thought he had looked out of his depth with the first team squad before todays game, but today he was alot better.

I've also been impressed by Spearing so far. He looked quite commanding in the Gallen and Vienna games and in the far east has done a job when asked of him, at right back. San Jose has also shown potential and he might have a long term  future at the club.

Its been good to see these youngsters improve since the start of last season. The preseason fixtures so far have been tricky ones and its nice when the youngsters step up especially in front of 50,60, or 70,000 attendances.  With Insua likely to be a first team regular this year, i think we might see a few more youngsters coming through either this season or next.

I'm also hoping we're going to see a different Ryan Babel this year. So far he's looked hungry and eager to make an impact.

What's everyone elses thoughts on pre-seaon so far? Anybody in particular caught your eye? Or even seen postions that need to be filled or we need cover for?

wittsy

Re: Pre-Season So Far
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 12:07:37 PM »
Nemeth and Pacheco look much better playing behind a striker, coming in behind (ala Gerrard). Think Pacheco needs to slow down and look around a bit more but that will come with experience.

Little Jay WILL be a very good player and I think he'll get a few games this year (probably carling cup etc).  He will one day be playing for England I'm sure. Infact most of the youngsters have looked much improved from last season, the future really is bright.

Babel has looked hungrier so far but this always seems to fizzle out as the season progresses so will be interesting to see if Rafa gives him a better crack this year instead of sticking with Riera.

Kuyt has looked very good and I think he will really impress this year and rival Gerrard and Torres at our Kop hero. The man just seems to have no weakness and is the highest form of professional. What ever is asked of him he does a great job.

It has been a slow start with players coming in later on and some players looking at there futures but slowly it's coming together and if the rest of the games go to plan we'll be in great shape to hammer the Spurs on the opening game.

Jas

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 09:46:03 PM »
I expected Babel to push on last season......it didn't happen.

I always had high hopes for the lad.  But my hopes were dampened last year.

But I have to say, that I am not certain that he will now exel at Anfield.....at least not on a consistent basis. 

Hope I'm wrong.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 10:29:57 PM »
I expected Babel to push on last season......it didn't happen.

I always had high hopes for the lad.  But my hopes were dampened last year.

But I have to say, that I am not certain that he will now exel at Anfield.....at least not on a consistent basis. 

Hope I'm wrong.

Hopefully Dude it was just 'second season syndrom' though like you I'm not yet convinced he can be a consistent performer, flashes of brilliance, yes, but a regular threat, no.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 11:14:35 PM »
Hopefully Dude it was just 'second season syndrom' though like you I'm not yet convinced he can be a consistent performer, flashes of brilliance, yes, but a regular threat, no.

agreed, Tes.....flashes of occasional brilliance is about the height of my expectations.

I suspect he will continue to play bit -part roles in games - either being subbed, or coming on as a sub.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

wittsy

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 11:15:15 PM »
I hate to say it but he just doesn't seem to have the game intelligence. He has to stop and look around instead of thinking on the move which is a big problem with the game being so fast in the Prem. I like the lad though and hope he improves this year..

Jas

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 09:36:08 AM »
yes Wittsy, let's hope he pushes on.

Some lads show great promise, but then never gain the necessary consistency.

Robin Van Persie was a lad I thought would push on at Arsenal, over the last 3 or 4 years.  It never happened (mind, injuries hurt him, these last 18 months or so).

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 12:17:38 PM »
With Arbeloa looking certain to join madrid this week, arent we going to be short of cover for johnson? Yeah theres Degen but can he keep fit long enough to challenge for a place. Carra can play there, but with Skrtel injured we suddenly look short of cover

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 12:43:08 PM »
With Arbeloa looking certain to join madrid this week, arent we going to be short of cover for johnson? Yeah theres Degen but can he keep fit long enough to challenge for a place. Carra can play there, but with Skrtel injured we suddenly look short of cover

I would forget about Carra, Skrtel or Masch playing there. Last season Insua stepped up so let's hope Darby can do the same. We need to trust a few of the youngsters when or if they're given the chance and Darby is much closer to the type of player Arby is.

wittsy

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 03:16:43 PM »
From what we've seen of Darby I think he can step up, he may not be an exciting player but he seems solid and reliable. Surely he will only improve with alittle more first team action. I would say he is better defensively than Degen (who I will be fair seems quite effective in attack).

Kelly also could step up from what I've seen. OK he may be 4th choice when Skrtel is fit but he seems effective. Carra is now officially the elder statesman now that Hyppia has gone so that still gives us 4 recognised center backs.

I'm more worried about the other side is Dossena goes, it leaves us with Insua and Aurelio, one youngster and one older player who picks us injuries. Surely we will need another to cover..

Jas

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 07:36:25 PM »

I'm more worried about the other side is Dossena goes, it leaves us with Insua and Aurelio, one youngster and one older player who picks us injuries. Surely we will need another to cover..

Jas

It's a shame that Aurelio is made of balsa wood because he's an excellant player. We could probably do with an experienced left back cheap/free transfer to cover certain games or maybe Insua will prove capable of truly making the left back slot his own.

FlotionPotion

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 10:08:32 PM »
I hate to say it but he just doesn't seem to have the game intelligence. He has to stop and look around instead of thinking on the move which is a big problem with the game being so fast in the Prem. I like the lad though and hope he improves this year..

Jas

He reminds me of Cisse.  I remember comparing Cisse to Heskey some years ago and what i said was that the difference between the two was that Heskey would see the move a second too late whereas Cisse just didn't see it. I'm afraid that Babel just doesn't see it too.

It could be that he needs regular games to build a partnership but who is he gonna shove out Torres? Gerrard?  can't see it. Although the Masch and Alonso situation could mean Gerrard back in central midfield

FlotionPotion

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 05:57:24 PM »
Nemeth and Pacheco look much better playing behind a striker, coming in behind (ala Gerrard). Think Pacheco needs to slow down and look around a bit more but that will come with experience.

Little Jay WILL be a very good player and I think he'll get a few games this year (probably carling cup etc).  He will one day be playing for England I'm sure. Infact most of the youngsters have looked much improved from last season, the future really is bright.

Wittsy

I don't get to see the friendlies this year what with Setanta going belly up and I'm not an e-season ticket holder.  Pacheco, Nemeth, Darby and Spearing all went on the pre season tour last year and more or less didn't figure again for the rest of the season. I know its a step up in class even though its a friendly but for me pre season tours are about getting those players that will play in the forthcoming season fit.

i can't find the post but i think it was Tes that said Pacheco is a couple of years and a few fish suppers away from being ready.

I think Darby is ready now, at least as competition, if not a first team regular whereas Spearing will find it hard to break into that midfield.

Nemeth, well, I've always like Nemeth.  Sometimes to greedy but hey he's a striker.  Personally i would like to see these guys play in the League Cup just like Arsenal did.  But let them play if they are fit and don't swap in the big guns if we progress.  Its the only way to be sure if they are ready or not. 

Reserve football, as has been discussed before, is not the breeding ground for 1st team hopefuls anymore.  Lets bleed these kids in the league cup.  Let's ask the big questions of them and see if they have the answers

FlotionPotion

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2009, 10:01:37 PM »
I managed to stream tonights game and I have to say we were brutal at the back. No particular defender to blame, they all seemed to be somewhere else at times.  we need Agger and Skrtel back.

First touch still missing all over the pitch.  Performance not great and seems to be left over from the end of last season when yes, we started scoring for fun but also shipping goals too.  Something wasn't right with the defence in the last few weeks of last season and it ain't right now.

Is Carragher doing too much? Is he trying to be everywhere instead of trusting his defenders?

First time I've seen Degen. I'll not hang a man on his first performance.  Johnson solid enough without flattering. Lucas, still don't get it.

Spearing was physical in the tackles but I found him short of ideas around the 18 yard box.

San Jose was a little out of his depth.

2 weeks to go and that game would have contributed big time to match fitness but friendly or not 3-0 is not good

wittsy

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2009, 11:07:55 PM »
It wasn't a pretty vision to watch. San Jose to me was the wrong choice, Martin Kelly has looked much more sure at CB and Degen had his least impressive game so far. Degen seems to lack conviction when things aren't going his way, he stands around and hopes the ball will go passed him, I'm hoping it's a confidence thing at the mo because his defending was dreadfull.

Lets not be picky though, apart from some long range Gerrard strikes and some decent work from Kuyt nobody really played well and nothing impressed. We really needed someone with clean crisp passing under pressure in midfield,   hmmmmm, I wonder who can give us that....

Not to worry, we'll sort it within 2 weeks I'm sure.

Jas