September 17, 2019, 05:50:30 AM

Author Topic: 42-day deadline?  (Read 5340 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
42-day deadline?
« on: June 06, 2008, 12:17:59 PM »
OK, we've done the 90 days thread, time for the 42 days one..

What's your feelings on New Labour wanting to extend the time you can be held without charge from 28 to 42 days?

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

raju

Re: 42-day deadline?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 12:55:31 PM »
Dude, I think someone has got their wires crossed on the basis that "42" is the answer to everything.
 :)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 12:58:15 PM »
 :P

and why not 500 days.....or 20000......or as joe public always craves, why not 'throw away the key'
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

I am The Egg Man

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 01:16:23 PM »

and why not 500 days.....or 20000......or as Joe public always craves, why not 'throw away the key'

I think they have used scare tactics to make their case for 42 days, and based on their argument I would disagree, but they can not come up with an example for when a 42 day period would have been advantageuse.  They are talking about having the house of Parliament being able to grant 24 days in excetpional cases.  You could also change the law which say that once you have charged someone you cannot question them any more, at the moment once you have been charged the police cannot question you no more, which is why police cases must be watertight before they will charge you.  so if they change that law it would do the same as 42 days practically and it would be less controversial.

PS.  Why is an American so interested in Labour policy?
PPS.  Are you looking forward to the first black US president?

raju

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 01:21:02 PM »

and why not 500 days.....or 20000......or as joe public always craves, why not 'throw away the key'

Dude, I have no intention in putting my lawyer hat on this issue. my original post was, of course, a reference to the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  "42" being the answer to eveythinng- life, the universe etc.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 02:28:57 PM »
Dude, I have no intention in putting my lawyer hat on this issue. my original post was, of course, a reference to the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  "42" being the answer to eveythinng- life, the universe etc.
oh I knew your reference was to that, raju.   :P  I just couldn't think of anything witty to respond to that angle with.  My brain is slow today....must be a Friday thing.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 02:38:52 PM »
I think they have used scare tactics to make their case for 42 days, and based on their argument I would disagree, but they can not come up with an example for when a 42 day period would have been advantageuse.  They are talking about having the house of Parliament being able to grant 24 days in excetpional cases.  You could also change the law which say that once you have charged someone you cannot question them any more, at the moment once you have been charged the police cannot question you no more, which is why police cases must be watertight before they will charge you.  so if they change that law it would do the same as 42 days practically and it would be less controversial.

PS.  Why is an American so interested in Labour policy?
PPS.  Are you looking forward to the first black US president?
good points, eggs.

Old grand Britannia sure looks like a police state these days.....what with all them  cameras filming you all day long....and the cops shooting folks they don't like in the tube....and bin police.

Has Labour always been an authoritarian fascist party, or is this just something new that Blair introduced?

Aye, Obama finally got the Dems nomination.  I thought someone was gonna have to throw garlic and put a steak though Hillary's heart to put her out of her misery.  Shucks,  I dunno - ain't warmed to Obama much myself....maybe best of a bad washington dc democrat bunch. 

Then again, ANYTHING will be better than dubya or mccain. 

I am The Egg Man

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 02:55:46 PM »
good points, eggs.

Old grand Britannia sure looks like a police state these days.....what with all them  cameras filming you all day long....and the cops shooting folks they don't like in the tube....and bin police.

Has Labour always been an authoritarian fascist party, or is this just something new that Blair introduced?

This country has always been well into its security because of the IRA it just so happens that now they can use CCTV and all the other crap as surveillance so people are now seeing the security at work on a day by day basis so a few are becoming a bit threatened by it, although they are the kind of people who will moan at anything.  Most people like them as it makes them feel secure and they also have the attitude that if you are doing nothing wrong then you have nothing to worry about.  Bin police well the reason for that is people will not bother their arses if they didn't do that, but I do think that they could be a bit more lenient.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 03:04:26 PM »
Most people like CCTV as it makes them feel secure and they also have the attitude that if you are doing nothing wrong then you have nothing to worry about.  Bin police well the reason for that is people will not bother their arses if they didn't do that, but I do think that they could be a bit more lenient.
do all the kids there carry knives to protect themselves from the bin police?

I am The Egg Man

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 03:21:43 PM »
do all the kids there carry knives to protect themselves from the bin police?

It's not actually police that check the bins it's the bin men, they just report people to the council and they then send them to court where they are given a fine.  The kids have gone soft, every day someone is getting stabbed or beaten to death by a gang of unruly kids.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 06:30:26 PM »
It's not actually police that check the bins it's the bin men
then who empties the bins?

they just report people to the council
it's no wonder council taxes are so high there.  Bin men should be emptying bins as part of their job.

The kids have gone soft, every day someone is getting stabbed or beaten to death by a gang of unruly kids.
do the cops do drugs?

I am The Egg Man

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 06:38:26 PM »
then who empties the bins?

it's no wonder council taxes are so high there.  Bin men should be emptying bins as part of their job.

do the cops do drugs?

The bin men do empty the bins.  But new rules have been introduced saying that bins should not be overfilled and the materials should be separeted.  The cops do do the drugs the problems are gangs, yob culture, alcohol and drugs  but if they could solve the drug problem then the world would be a much better place.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 06:47:53 PM »
The cops do do the drugs the problems are gangs, yob culture, alcohol and drugs 
that snob culture thing you guys have going on there is a worry. 

but if they could solve the drug problem then the world would be a much better place.
yeah it's a bummer man when supply's an issue

I am The Egg Man

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2008, 06:55:36 PM »
that snob culture thing you guys have going on there is a worry. 

yeah it's a bummer man when supply's an issue

What do you mean by snob culture?