September 17, 2019, 05:20:57 AM

Author Topic: Beatles  (Read 4994 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Beatles
« on: June 06, 2008, 12:23:11 PM »
I must be the biggest Beatles fan on the planet......hundreds of bootlegs bought across the years (to supplement the official releases).

Anyone else like the fab four? 

What's your favourite songs?  Too many to mention I guess.....but one of my all time faves is George's fantastic Here Comes the Sun (mind, it sounds far better on vinyl than it does on CD)

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

I am The Egg Man

Re: Beatles
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 01:17:52 PM »
I must be the biggest Beatles fan on the planet......hundreds of bootlegs bought across the years (to supplement the official releases).

Anyone else like the fab four? 

What's your favourite songs?  Too many to mention I guess.....but one of my all time faves is George's fantastic Here Comes the Sun (mind, it sounds far better on vinyl than it does on CD)

I used to go to John Lennons school, and i live over the road from Ringo's old school.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 02:42:47 PM »
I used to go to John Lennons school, and i live over the road from Ringo's old school.
ahhh.  I was over at Lennon's school a couple of times....taking pictures.  Was Ringo's school down in that same rough area he lived in - toxteth?

as well as doin gthe city centre stuff (cavern etc), my best liverpool days were spent walking my own little beatles tour, on a summer day.....menlove avenue, strawberry fields, woolton, st george's hall/church (where bob paisley is buried BTW), forthlin road....penny lane...newcastle road, etc, etc.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

I am The Egg Man

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 02:48:25 PM »
ahhh.  I was over at Lennon's school a couple of times....taking pictures.  Was Ringo's school down in that same rough area he lived in - toxteth?

Ringo was from Toxteth and his school which is now called Shorefields is in the Dingle, they are both in L8 so basically they are in the same area.  I live across the field that faces the school, I live in Aigburth which is L17 which isn't as bad as L8.  I think it was called Dingle vale boys school when he went there.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 03:10:15 PM »
thanks, eggs

did yoko ever manage to rent out john's old house on menlove avenue?

I saw it for sale (prior to her buying it a few years back) for 150,000 quid (or it might have been 200,000).  I was tempted to put in a bid.

I am The Egg Man

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 03:19:09 PM »
thanks, eggs

did yoko ever manage to rent out john's old house on menlove avenue?

I saw it for sale (prior to her buying it a few years back) for 150,000 quid (or it might have been 200,000).  I was tempted to put in a bid.

The house is not owned by Yoko it is owned by the national trust and so is Maca's.  You can go inside the houses and take a look.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 06:37:10 PM »
The house is not owned by Yoko it is owned by the national trust and so is Maca's.  You can go inside the houses and take a look.
that won't be necessary, I believe you.

being on that noisy big road, yoko probably doesn't get much rent for it.

I am The Egg Man

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 06:41:56 PM »
that won't be necessary, I believe you.

being on that noisy big road, yoko probably doesn't get much rent for it.

It's not actualy on the main road is it its in a road just of it.  It's a very nice area you would like living their. 

When you said that you went to his school to take pictures we used to be sat in class and see loads of people mainly Japs standing at the gate by the park taking photos.

Irish_Mark

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 12:14:56 AM »
I must admit I was never a huge fan, though of late I've been listening to quite a bit of their stuff. They were well before my time in fairness :)

Paperback writer
Something
Hey Jude
She Loves You
Love Me Do
and Get Back are some faves :)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 03:32:40 AM »
I must admit I was never a huge fan, though of late I've been listening to quite a bit of their stuff. They were well before my time in fairness :)

Paperback writer
Something
Hey Jude
She Loves You
Love Me Do
and Get Back are some faves :)

look out for songs like here comes the sun.....and a day in the life

their singles were  great, but it was their album tracks and B sides, which really got me going - songs like If I Fell, I'll Be Back, You've Got to Hide Your love Away, You're Gonna Lose that Girl, etc.

Irish_Mark

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 12:32:26 PM »
Thanks dude, I'll have a look out for them :) Can always appreciate good music. Where would I get a hold of their b-sides?

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 02:15:04 PM »
Thanks dude, I'll have a look out for them :) Can always appreciate good music. Where would I get a hold of their b-sides?

the B-sides, well the good ones, are always to be found on compilations (Love Songs, Ballads)....tho admittedly those great late 70s/early 80s compilations are now discontinued.

If you go over to somewhere like http://musicload.org/ you can search for individual tracks.

Another superb B-side is "This Boy"

Another is  "I'll Get You"

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 02:16:25 PM »
or watch/listen to the tracks over on youtube.

You can download the audio/video if you use the appropriate website/script.