November 11, 2019, 10:51:16 PM

Author Topic: January transfer thread.  (Read 10035 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: January transfer thread.
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2010, 12:19:49 AM »
Fiorentina Interested In Liverpool's Ryan Babel - Report

Dec 31, 2009 5:06:41 PM

Liverpool forward Ryan Babel is attracting the attention of Italian outfit Fiorentina.

The 23-year-old is being lined up as a possible replacement for Adrian Mutu, who is said to want a move away from Florence.

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez is looking to sell his fringe players as he seeks to raise money to spend on new players in the January transfer window.

Italian newspaper Corriere dello Sport claims Liverpool are set to offload Babel in the new year and they report that Fiorentina are preparing to table a bid for the Holland international.

Babel revealed earlier on this season that he was hoping to secure a loan move away from Anfield in January to earn a place in the Holland squad for the World Cup finals next summer.

The Dutchman has never cemented his place in the Liverpool side since his £11 million move from Ajax in 2007.

Babel has scored nine goals in 67 league appearances for Liverpool but has failed to become a regular starter for Benitez's side.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/transfer-zone/2009/12/31/1719262/fiorentina-interested-in-liverpools-ryan-babel-report

I would normally ignore anything on Goal.com but as they're taking their story from Corriere dello Sport, I'll make an exception. There may be something in it as Mutu has been linked with West Ham. Let's hope it's a New Year goodbye to (not so) Flyin' Ryan. Even Mother Theresa would run out of patience with him. 
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2010, 12:27:01 AM »
MAXI RODRIGUEZ SET FOR LIVERPOOL MOVE

By Paul Joyce  Friday January 1, 2010

RAFA BENITEZ is planning to bolster his quest for a top-four finish by bringing Argentina midfielder Maxi Rodriguez to Liverpool.

A loan deal for the Atletico Madrid's Rodriguez is being discussed and Anfield officials are hopeful of beating off competition from Boca Juniors in what would be something of a transfer coup.

Liverpool will look to finally offload misfit Andriy Voronin to help smooth the deal and Rodriguez, who turns 29 tomorrow, now looks poised to move to Merseyside for the rest of the season.

Despite speculation linking Real Madrid’s Ruud van Nistelrooy with Anfield, sources in the Spanish capital last night intimated that Liverpool’s business is being done across the city and a switch for Rodriguez would delight his international team-mate Javier Mascherano and also former Atletico club-mate Fernando Torres.

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/149093/Maxi-Rodriguez-set-for-Liverpool-move/

This is being reported by several sources, so who knows. A loan deal could work out very nicely as he could provide an alternative to Kuyt and a move might just be what he needs at this stage of his career. Also, with Torres and Masch at the club, he may just settle in a bit quicker. There's no doubting his quality.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2010, 12:54:30 AM »
From the Mail:

"Meanwhile, Ryan Babel is likely to turn down overtures from Fiorentina and delay Liverpool's hopes of bringing players in.

Benitez knows that he'll have to work in the loan market to strengthen unless he can raise cash by selling or agree exchange deals.

He has been offered Olympiakos right back Vasilis Torosidis as a quick fix to Glen Johnson's absence but Benitez is likely to save funds for attack and wide midfield.

He is ready to part with Babel, Andriy Voronin, Andrea Dossena and Philipp Degen, but they are attracting minimal interest.

Babel, 23, represents their best hope of raising funds. But he is not keen on a move to Florence or Turkey, where there has been interest from Besiktas.

Inter will not be given encouragement if they follow up reported interest in Steven Gerrard."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1239769/Rafa-Benitez-wants-Liverpool-loan-deal-Atletico-Madrid-star-Maxi-Rodriguez.html?ITO=1490

January transfer window 2010 - nothing but let-downs and frustration.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2010, 03:23:00 PM »
if Babel truly wants regular first team football (for the world cup, etc), then he needs to move. 

Rather than move however, I suspect he will be happy to stay and whine.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2010, 05:17:46 PM »
if Babel truly wants regular first team football (for the world cup, etc), then he needs to move. 

Rather than move however, I suspect he will be happy to stay and whine.

Agreed, Dude, he certainly seems like the sort. Mentally, he just doesn't have what's required to be a Liverpool player.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2010, 03:23:44 AM »
Agreed, Dude, he certainly seems like the sort. Mentally, he just doesn't have what's required to be a Liverpool player.

I agree, Tes.

my suspicion would be that off the pitch as well, that he's just not at the level of maturity that is needed.  I doubt if he has mixed well with others at the club.

he's in a different country, dealing with a foreign language, a young lad suddenly being paid big money.....and has possibly got into a comfort zone.....feeling he had made it, when he signed at Anfield.

of course the reality is, that the work has only started, when you arrive at a big club.

you're suddenly not the main cog at your smaller previous club....and now are surrounded by classy players at your new club.

sad, but all too common course of events.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2010, 11:32:39 PM »
Argentine striker Rodriguez heading for Anfield
The Mirror, 4th January

Rafa Benitez will hit the January sales with a vengeance, by offloading two players and bringing in a new signing within the next 48 hours. And the Liverpool boss hopes to swiftly follow that up with another player-in/ player-out deal, that he hopes will allow him to spend upwards of £10million on a big-name striker.

The Anfield manager is confident of completing negotiations to bring Argentina international winger Maxi Rodriguez to Merseyside by the middle of the week, initially on a short-term loan deal. That will be preceded by the swift departure of Andrea Dossena and Andriy Voronin, who were both locked in talks last night with potential suitors who had travelled to Liverpool for negotiations.

Rodriguez was left out of the weekend's La Liga game against Sevilla by his team Atletico Madrid so he could open talks with Benitez over a potential switch to Anfield. And last night the 29-year-old's agent Jurgen Milewski revealed a move was close to being finalised. "I can say the chances of a transfer are high," he said.

Atletico are keen on a sale right now at a cut-price rate, with the Argentine winger out of contract in the summer, when they would get nothing for his services. They have also mooted a possible swap deal, with a cash balance, for an exchange between Rodriguez and Italian full-back Dossena. But Benitez is always reluctant to do swap deals, and instead he is trying to conclude a loan for the player until the end of the season, with a view to signing him on a permanent basis then.

Rodriguez wants regular football as he tries to force his way into the Argentina squad before the World Cup Finals in the summer, and is even prepared to take a pay cut on his reported £85,000-a-week wages, to ensure he gets a move to the Premier League.

As the veteran prepares for his imminent arrival, Voronin and Dossena are both in the final stages of negotiations for their departure, after being told they would not play again for the club.

Voronin is poised to complete a near £1.5m switch to Dynamo Moscow, after talks yesterday to conclude the deal, while Dossena met officials from Napoli yesterday for talks over a return to Italy.

Dossena has also had talks with Roma, but Napoli are the only side prepared to meet Liverpool's asking price of almost £5m, which has left him with the one option as Benitez pressures him to go.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2010, 11:35:45 PM »
Benitez fears rift with Villa boss will scupper Heskey signing

The Mirror

The feud with Martin O'Neill has cost Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez the chance to land Emile Heskey in the transfer window.

The pair fell out spectacularly over protracted and bitter negotiations 18 months ago for then Aston Villa midfielder Gareth Barry, and the rift has never been healed.

And Benitez fears that could cost him any chance of landing Heskey, who he has pursued for the past month, as he looks for a striker who can offer support to - and cover for - Fernando Torres.

O'Neill doesn't want Heskey to leave but with an offer of £5million on the table, he has been tempted. Sources at Liverpool though, fear the Villa boss will instead sell the striker to Chelsea for a similar fee, as his feud with Benitez is continued.

Last night, the former Celtic manager was adamant he didn't want to sell Heskey, when he said: "After the Blackburn game on Saturday, someone asked me about Heskey, a hypothetical question about 'What if Emile wanted to go?' and it took me a bit by surprise.

"I haven't really sat down yet and spoken to any of the players about what is going to happen in January.

"I couldn't give you any guarantees about anything, but we are in a situation here where I would be wanting to keep the players who are making an impact at the football club.

"And I think Emile in the last number of weeks has been really excellent for us. Ideally, because we are involved in different competitions at this minute, I would try and keep them if it's at all possible. I just don't know. I will take every situation on its merits."

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2010, 11:38:35 PM »
okay, heskey is a relatively cheap option.

and yes, Emile would hold the ball up for the team...and be a good foil for Torres.

but I suspect Rafa has also identified, that we are seriously lacking height in our team........and that is a key reason why we cannot defend set pieces this season.

we miss big Sami's height....and also Crouch's height.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2010, 11:59:07 AM »
I've seen Maxi a couple of times and he could be a good signing for us especially on a loan deal. He's struggled a bit this season but a change of club might do him good. On heskey, in an ideal world i wouldnt have him back. But given our squad, our finances and the fact he'll offer something different i would take him.

On players going out, the quicker Dossena and Voronin go the better. Also i'd get rid of Degan. Kelly and Darby should be given a chance until the end of the season to stake a claim for the right back cover slot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2010, 11:11:46 PM »
Blues move for Babel

Last updated: 5th January 2010

Skysports.com understands Birmingham have made a move to sign Ryan Babel from Liverpool.

Birmingham boss Alex McLeish has targeted a move for Babel as he looks to bolster his squad in the January transfer window.

Blues owner Carson Yeung is ready to make money available to McLeish to make some big-name signings this month and McLeish has earmarked some of the funds to bring Babel to St Andrews.

Birmingham are understood to have firmed up their interest in the Dutchman with a bid for Babel and they are now waiting to see if Liverpool will accept their offer.

Liverpool are thought to be willing to cash-in on Babel as he has failed to hold down a regular place in Rafa Benitez's side since arriving from Ajax in the summer of 2007.

Benitez is prepared to listen to offers for the 23-year-old as he looks to raise funds for his own transfer plans in January.

Birmingham are hoping the chance of regular first-team football will convince Babel to make the switch to St Andrews as he looks to secure his place in the Holland squad for this summer's World Cup finals.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11694_5833726,00.html

Here's hoping. He's had his chances and despite Rafa's sometime straitjacket tactics has proved at least mentally and tactically he just doesn't have it to play for us.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2010, 11:17:19 PM »
Dossena 'close to Napoli move' - Agent

Andrea Dossena's agent claims a deal to take the Liverpool defender to Napoli is all but done.

The Italy defender has long been linked with a return to his homeland, with Napoli narrowly missing out in the summer. Reports suggest a five million euro (almost £4.5million) fee has been agreed between the two clubs and Dossena's agent Roberto La Florio is confident his client will pen a four-and- a-half-year deal on Wednesday.

"The player will arrive on a permanent basis with a contract for four-and-a-half years," he told Tuttomercatoweb on Tuesday.

He added: "I believe the player will arrive in Napoli tomorrow.

"At the moment there are logistical problems, that is to say he can't leave Liverpool because of the snow."

Dossena has been strongly linked with a move away from Anfield in the winter transfer window, having failed to live up to his £7million price tag since moving to Liverpool from Udinese in 2008.

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/latest-sport-news/2010/01/05/dossena-close-to-napoli-move-agent-84229-25533503/*

Again, here's hoping. With Aurelio out of contract in the Summer and yet to sign any form of contract, we really need to use the money wisely and get a quality leftback in to compete with Insua - but who?

*The Sunday Sun is a very long established Scottish (at least originally) paper and nothing to do with Murdoch's retarded, lie peddling sh!t rag. 

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2010, 11:20:20 PM »
Liverpool playmaker set for January exit?

Greek side Olympiakos are reportedly preparing a bid for Liverpool midfielder Yossi Benayoun.

The 29-year-old Israeli captain has found himself on the fringes of the first team at Liverpool, struggling to secure a place in the starting XI under Rafael Benitez.

Benayoun joined the Reds from West Ham in 2007, signing a four-year-deal at Anfield for a £5 million fee. He has since made 82 league appearances, scoring 17 times in the process.

This season, the former Maccabi Haifa star has scored five times in 20 appearances for the Merseyside outfit, including a Premier League hat-trick against Burnley.

A two-year contract extension was penned in April 2009, but now reports in Greek publication 'Goal' suggest that Olympiakos have already offered €6M.

The Greek Super League champions have already had a move for Marseille winger Hatem Ben Arfa turned down, and are determined to add some strength in depth at the Karaiskakis Stadium.

Reds fans would be unhappy if Benayoun were to be sold, with the slight midfielder one of the top performers at the club this season. However, Rafa Benitez isn't adverse to making bold decisions in the transfer window, and might be interested if an increased offer is placed on the table.

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/liverpool-playmaker-set-for-january-exit-

Not sure about the source but it's not the only source reporting it.

Quite simply, Rafa don't do it!!!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2010, 11:40:16 PM »
From the Daily Fail:

"Liverpool look set to sign Argentina winger Maxi Rodriguez on loan from Atletico Madrid and sell Andrea Dossena to Nnapoli for £4m and Andriy Voronin to Dinamo Moscow for £1.5m."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1240903/Treadmill-toughens-Fernando-Torres-Liverpool-star-works-overtime-bid-battle-injury.html?ITO=1490

If that comes fruition that's 3 positives.

BandWMisery

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2010, 01:05:59 PM »
If this true its going to be quiet...

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-fc/2010/01/06/liverpool-fc-no-cash-windfall-for-rafael-benitez-92534-25535098/

Though Maxi may come to fruition if this is correct the same article seems about in various disguises. But correct me if I'm wrong isn't this generally the case in the Jan transfer window nothing really happens not just with RB but most managers.

I'm sure some will read between the lines whether the imagined will happen or the implied only May will tell.