October 14, 2019, 02:19:27 PM

Author Topic: January transfer thread.  (Read 9957 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: January transfer thread.
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2010, 03:31:15 PM »
I will be astounded if this is true.

I am a massive fan of Benni.  He's one of our best players.

If we allow him to leave, then the game is up.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2010, 03:52:40 PM »
This story has now been officially refuted by LFC on their website.

More quality journalism!  :o
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2010, 07:02:05 PM »
This story has now been officially refuted by LFC on their website.

More quality journalism!  :o

So that's it, he's off.  :D
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2010, 07:21:06 PM »
 ;D

well Benni has been linked with all sorts of clubs these few windows.

clubs in cyprus, greece, and now russia.

obviously there is a bit of a black hole in this level of sports journalism - namely, why the fu.ck would you leave a top premiership club, at the peak of your career, to go and play for a noboby, in the arsehole of nowhere.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2010, 07:58:14 PM »
Yes he does seem to have more than his fair share of link stories. As this window is so slow I guess journos need to fill column inches and seeing as we've signed a similar sort of player in Maxi, for little or no immediate layout, we're short of cash, Benny is under long term contract, hence higher value, making 5 has been a really easy task. Makes you wonder about the comments 'attributed' to Dinamo Moscow's Sporting Director Konstantin Sarsania. Lost in translation?

At least Dirk's not off to Juve.  ;D     

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2010, 09:24:54 PM »
Yes he does seem to have more than his fair share of link stories. As this window is so slow I guess journos need to fill column inches and seeing as we've signed a similar sort of player in Maxi, for little or no immediate layout, we're short of cash, Benny is under long term contract, hence higher value, making 5 has been a really easy task. Makes you wonder about the comments 'attributed' to Dinamo Moscow's Sporting Director Konstantin Sarsania. Lost in translation?

At least Dirk's not off to Juve.  ;D     

Chuckles CentennaryJohnny will be happy to hear that.

yes, the quotes from the russian bloke are now highly dubious.

journalists do literally often make it up as they go along.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2010, 09:33:16 PM »
journalists do literally often make it up as they go along.

Like this:

Juventus lay groundwork for summer Rafael Benítez move

Andy Hunter guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 27 January 2010 20.53 GMT

Juventus are close to replacing the manager, Ciro Ferrara, with a short-term appointment as they attempt to pave the way for Rafael Benítez to join in the summer. The Turin club are expected to part company with Ferrara following tonight's Coppa Italia tie against Internazionale and had hoped to install the Liverpool manager as an immediate replacement.

Juventus officials now accept they will have a better chance of luring Benítez at the end of this season, when his position is to be reviewed by the Liverpool hierarchy and may decide he has had enough of the club's internal problems should promised new investment at Anfield fail to materialise.

Juventus are believed to have lined up their former defender Claudio Gentile as a stop-gap appointment until the end of the season, although the former Milan and Udinese coach Alberto Zaccheroni is also under consideration. Gentile has never managed at club level, and last coached in 2006 when in charge of the Italy Under-21 side, but his temporary arrival will enable Juventus to appoint a long-term successor in the summer.

A contract is believed  to have been drawn up by Juventus for Benítez as a demonstration of their intent.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jan/27/rafael-benitez-juventus-summer

Not sure how anything in that report actually shows that Rafa will be at Juve next season.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2010, 05:44:43 PM »
hard to know what to make of all the many stories from journalists.

there will be lots of chaff among the wheat.

I imagine a highly skilled manager like Rafa is always craved (and being seranaded) by many other teams....all the time.  The media just publicise such links when it suits their agenda of the time (i.e. Rafa's under pressure at Liverpool).

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2010, 06:49:32 PM »
Paying more money on a temporary right back, be it wages on a loan signing or a small transfer fee to me is daft.

With Carra, Darby, Kelly just back, Degen when hes back i see it as a complete waste of funds whether it be 10 quid or 10 million.  Johnson isnt exactly a long term injury. We seem to accumulate dead wood.

Why not keep what ever money Rafa is thinking of spending and put it toward a striker

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport-news/football-news/2010/01/28/liverpool-fc-manager-rafa-benitez-wants-right-back-to-fill-in-for-injured-glen-johnson-55578-25709892/

Liverpool FC manager Rafa Benitez wants right-back to fill in for injured Glen Johnson

Liverpool FC manager Rafa Benitez has indicated he is keen to draft in a right-back before the transfer window closes.

Benitez wants to act as Glen Johnson is taking time to recover from medial ligament damage.

In the England international’s absence, Jamie Carragher has been deployed in that role.

However Benitez, whose side face Bolton on Saturday, would like Carragher to return to the centre of the defence.

The Spanish boss knows time is against him to recruit with the transfer window about to close but a fresh face remains a possibly.

"We have to be careful with what we do," Benitez said.

"There are not too many good players around who are available and we will think about it.

"We still have some time but we will not rush if we cannot find the right player for this position."

Benitez does have options to fill in for Johnson.

Martin Kelly has returned to training after a long lay-off while Philipp Degen’s calf problem is not thought to be serious. Stephen Darby is also staking a claim.

Carragher celebrates his 32nd birthday today and Benitez added: "We are really pleased to see him playing as well as he does when he is in the centre of defence or at full-back.

"We have needed him and he is doing well. As for Kelly, he has been injured but has improved."

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2010, 08:10:26 PM »
I agree, Juan.

Like what is the point of the whole reserve/squad and Melwood setup, if it can't even as much as offer us a temporary rightback. 

If we're going into the market for a new defender, let it instead be for a new emerging central defender.....a young Hyppia, Skyrtel or Agger.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2010, 10:14:19 PM »
This is so annoying and sums up Rafa's obsession with defence. As you say dude, what IS the point of reserves if you're never going to call on them?

I can understand the reluctance of H&G to give him funds when he seems to spend them so unwisely.  :(
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2010, 10:52:36 PM »
Journalist: "Rafa, any news on your search for a striker?"

Rafa: "We have to be careful with what we do. There are not too many good players around who are available and we will think about it. We still have some time but we will not rush if we cannot find the right player for this position."

Not quite sure where the Echo gets the idea it's a right back from. Of course, as I don't know the question to which he gave the quoted answer, I could be wrong. The Echo seems to insist it's a right back but even when I try and read between the lines or peer through the smoke I still can't narrow it down to it being a right back. I realise he's talked about Carra and Kelly, but his comments are about Carra playing well in either position. I guess the question asked must have been about a right back if the Echo have stated such. Still confused. It must be coffee time.

So if it is about a right back, what future does Darby have? Degen was one of the favourites to be shipped this window and may be top of the Summer exits list. Kelly's back in training, don't know how close to a full return, but  again where does that leave him for next season assuming Johnson's first choice. Maybe it's just a short term loan signing but the report doesn't indicate whether it's a loan or a permanent signing.

Tomorrow's Echo back page - Benitez sign's Juventus striker.

BandWMisery

« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2010, 11:37:15 PM »
What I don't get with all this is LM, even more so with dismissal of the Yossi rumours correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there 5 fighting for this place.. OK some are versatile but generally with Gerrard, Kuyt and Torres on the pitch it leaves LM.

Yossi
Maxi
Reira
Babel
Ngog

I know you could say Ngog and Babel are supposed to be strikers and Maxi/Yossi can play both sides and probably centre but lets be honest Kuyt is indestructible. I swear in 1000 years time some archaeologist will find him perfectly preserved. Which means more often than not it will be LM, I have to say I don't actually know who is your LM certainly it seems Yossi has started earning it.