November 30, 2020, 07:34:03 AM

Author Topic: The Queen is to blame for today's defeat at Sunderland  (Read 5871 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
The Queen is to blame for today's defeat at Sunderland
« on: October 17, 2009, 10:41:46 PM »
Queen sends back boy's balloon

pa.press.net  Friday, 16 October 2009

A five-year-old was amazed to receive a personal message from the Queen after she picked up his balloon while out walking her corgis.
Charlie Castle was one of around 50 schoolchildren who released balloons during an end-of term farewell at Little Marlow infant school in Buckinghamshire in July.
When the youngster returned to classes this term, he was delighted to receive a letter from the Queen, who came across his green balloon about 14 miles away, in the grounds of Windsor Castle.

http://news.uk.msn.com/odd-news/article.aspx?cp-documentid=150285559

Just trying to cheer myself up.

It's starting to look worrying now. The level of performances, apart from against one or two lesser teams, appears to becoming consistently poor. I hope it's not a sign of dressing room problems.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The Queen is to blame for today's defeat at Sunderland
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 11:05:10 PM »
Rafa's man management skills (or the lack of them!) are damaging the team spirit enormously.

Playing well is all about confidence and you have to encourage your players when their spirits are down. He is totally incapable of doing that. He behaves in a robotic fashion. Always answers questions the same; always makes tactical subs at 60-65 mins and never but never praises his players even when they score hat-tricks.

As much as I hate Ferguson he has man-management skills Rafa can only dream of.

I don't think we'll finish in the top 4 this season and I think Rafa will be gone by this time next year.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 01:42:47 AM »
F**k it, if we bounce back against United, we can take it from there and pick it up again! (Edward from Anfield Road).

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 03:40:25 AM »
F**k it, if we bounce back against United, we can take it from there and pick it up again! (Edward from Anfield Road).

Welcome Edward, good to have a new point of view on board

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 03:48:01 AM »
Rafa's man management skills (or the lack of them!) are damaging the team spirit enormously.

Playing well is all about confidence and you have to encourage your players when their spirits are down. He is totally incapable of doing that. He behaves in a robotic fashion. Always answers questions the same; always makes tactical subs at 60-65 mins and never but never praises his players even when they score hat-tricks.

As much as I hate Ferguson he has man-management skills Rafa can only dream of.

I don't think we'll finish in the top 4 this season and I think Rafa will be gone by this time next year.

Rafas man management skills undoubtedly can be called in to question at times and he can often be stubborn as a mule. But that said if Rafa can get the financial backing along with the owner backing that he deserves i have no doubt that some day soon he will bring us the title.

Rafa Benitez, rafa benitez...................

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 10:12:59 AM »
...if Rafa can get the financial backing along with the owner backing that he deserves i have no doubt that some day soon he will bring us the title.

But that's the problem. He won't be given the money he needs. That's why we ended up with the Greek lad and not Turner from Hull. And once we drop out of that top 4 I think the Yanks will panic and look elsewhere for a manager before the value of the club drops too much.

Gerrard is running out of time and there's no obvious replacement for him who has his motivational skills.

Read the NOTW article here and make up your mind about how much of it is true. http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/football/554495/DOOMSDAY-SCENARIO-FOR-LIVERPOOL.html
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 11:01:12 AM »
But that's the problem. He won't be given the money he needs. That's why we ended up with the Greek lad and not Turner from Hull. And once we drop out of that top 4 I think the Yanks will panic and look elsewhere for a manager before the value of the club drops too much.

Gerrard is running out of time and there's no obvious replacement for him who has his motivational skills.

Read the NOTW article here and make up your mind about how much of it is true. http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/football/554495/DOOMSDAY-SCENARIO-FOR-LIVERPOOL.html

Was cringing checking out the forum this morning because i couldnt remember the last comment i left, i had consumed about 15 beers too many.

I have no doubt that the Americans are already looking for a new man, they probably never stopped after Klinsmann. But I just dont see what a new man will bring that Benitez doesnt already have. If they brought in a top manager, a Mourihno, Capello it would be only a matter of time before they would be having the same problems Rafa is, lack of financial backing and two warring owners who undermine the fans the manager and even each other at every opportunity they get.

Maybe Hicks and Gillett would employ a yes man who was just happy to be Liverpool manager, but thats not going to bring us success.

Rafas not bullet proof but I have seen enough of him at this stage to know that if there was proper backing available, like at Man United like at Chelsea and Man City results like yesterday would be rare.

Bottom line is we dont need to change the manager, we need to change the owners.

I havent read the NOW article yet but will do so now

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 11:37:10 AM »

I used to sit up and take note of what Bascombe had to say when he was with the Echo but nowadays i take what he say on board with a pinch of salt. His source in the club is either gone or freezing Bascombe out. Bascombe used to have the inside track, one day you would be reading exclusive developments into something that was going to happen at the Club and 24 hours later they would be fact but thats not the case anymore. For me his has predicted far too much that hasnt come happened.

As for the article itself i have no doubt its contents could become a reality but we have been saying that ourselves about Gerarrd and Torres potential sale for a year or 2 now.

As for the banks I think its a case of actions speak louder than words. Every couple of months city analysts predict that the banks wont sign off on refinancing for Hicks and Gillett but the banks always do. RBS had the chance in the summer to put the club up for sale but like Hicks they vetoed that opportunity and did exactly what every Liverpool fan didnt want and give the Americans the refinancing package they needed. The whole 'Doomsday' scenario  could become a reality but i just think its nothing that we havent read before and when it comes down to it nearly 3 years on and the American b*stards are still here.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 12:39:06 PM »
Was cringing checking out the forum this morning because i couldnt remember the last comment i left, i had consumed about 15 beers too many.

Only 15? Quiet night then!  ;) I agree that another manager would be as hamstrung financially as Rafa is now. I'm not even sure I want a replacement. Bear in mind what I wrote yesterday is a predicition - not a wish. I still see G&H panicking if we don't maike the top 4 and with City 1 point ahead with 2 games in hand things are not looking good.

We haven't scored in 3 games (Gerrard and Torres played in 2 of them) so are clearly going through a tough time. My only bright note is that none of the other top 3 kept a clean sheet yesterday so defences are vunerable.

Rafas not bullet proof but I have seen enough of him at this stage to know that if there was proper backing available, like at Man United like at Chelsea and Man City results like yesterday would be rare.

Bottom line is we dont need to change the manager, we need to change the owners.

The trouble is owners won't be patient like they were when Ferguson and Wenger took over. Champions League footy is expected year after year and the loss of cash should we not qualify will be catastrophic for LFC.

I agree that a change of ownership is required but the noises coming out of the Middle East aren't encouraging.  :(
Cheers,
Ray

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 04:08:22 PM »
I used to sit up and take note of what Bascombe had to say when he was with the Echo but nowadays i take what he say on board with a pinch of salt. His source in the club is either gone or freezing Bascombe out. Bascombe used to have the inside track, one day you would be reading exclusive developments into something that was going to happen at the Club and 24 hours later they would be fact but thats not the case anymore. For me his has predicted far too much that hasnt come happened.

Probably something to do with joining the NOTW staff. Hardly serious journos when it comes to sport but their occasion revelations on airport security are welcome.

As for the article itself i have no doubt its contents could become a reality but we have been saying that ourselves about Gerarrd and Torres potential sale for a year or 2 now.

As for the banks I think its a case of actions speak louder than words. Every couple of months city analysts predict that the banks wont sign off on refinancing for Hicks and Gillett but the banks always do. RBS had the chance in the summer to put the club up for sale but like Hicks they vetoed that opportunity and did exactly what every Liverpool fan didnt want and give the Americans the refinancing package they needed. The whole 'Doomsday' scenario  could become a reality but i just think its nothing that we havent read before and when it comes down to it nearly 3 years on and the American b*stards are still here.

I think if RBS had renaged on the loan and the club had gone into administration they would have incurred the wrath of LFC supporters. Refinancing was probably the better of two bad options though.

Can't see them selling Gerrard though. And Torres seems to have a genuine love for Liverpool and the people. His comparison with Athletico recently had a lot in common such as working-class people supporting the club unlike Real of course. He has said he would like to play for someone else eventually but not just yet.

I've just compared our goals for/against with the Mancs and we've scored 1 more but conceded 4 more. They had more luck agan yesterday but the press hardly mentions it. They're not invincible but we must have faith and I just think some of our players rely on Stevie for imagination instead of thinking for themselves. Looking forward to seeing Alberto in a couple of weeks though.  :)
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 04:47:26 PM »
Grim reading that article in the NOTW, but it's something I think we've all been aware of in the back of our minds but never wanted to address......or me at least anyway!

I've not seen the freak goal yet, not sure if I want to tbh.  But I wanted to get everyone's thought on our season so far.  Ok, maybe that was a stupid question.....we've been poor generally.  Our defence has taken a bit of a pounding and our midfield looks very weak in the middle.  Mashers head was definately turned by those bounders at Barca (why the hell don't UEFA/FIFA do something about this....gutless, pen pushing twits!) and poor old Lucas....well let's just leave it at poor ol' Lucas shall we?  Still no support upfront for Torres (looks like not bringing Owen in may have cost us), Gerrard hasn't been himself this season, I thought the same even when we gave Hull a 6-1 drubbing. 

There's something wrong with the whole squads mentality, even before the season kicked off.  Do you guy's remember our pre-season?  Well if you don't, then count yourselves lucky.  We were very poor pre-season and to me we've carried that form into the league this year.  Alonso leaving was a huge loss (it shows) but Aquaman may prove to be a player that may rectify that situation.  However, by the time he's match fit the season may all ready be over as it's currently looking at the moment.

Rafa.....should he stay, should he go?  I have no idea!  I do like Rafa alot and feel that if he were to be given a endless pot of gold like Man 'Abu Dhabi' City he would be a manager whose teams would destroy everything that lay before them.  Unfortunately we do not have that luxury thanks to the Moores' n Parry show.  One issue I think Rafa has, is his inability to find good players at low cost like MON or even David Moyes.  His low cost/freebies tend to be for players who just make up the squad numbers (Degen, Vorronin for eg).  If there was one thing I would say to Rafa it would be to take a chance on the youth.  Bring on Nemeth, play Spearing for godsake!  Show the people exactly what the academy can produce!
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 11:14:14 AM »

Juan, alcohol brings with it a certain 'freedom of expression' and the great thing about this forum is we all allow and respect each other's opinions and views without jumping on them if they differ from our own or the main concensus.

BTW, if it was 15 'too many' how many was it in total? (Sounds like a question off a GCSE maths paper.*)

*I'm too old to have taken GCSE maths, I'm from the 'O' level generation. Comparing GCSE maths papers my kids did they're a breeze in comparison. No logrithyms to start with.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 11:25:13 AM »
I've just compared our goals for/against with the Mancs and we've scored 1 more but conceded 4 more. They had more luck agan yesterday but the press hardly mentions it. They're not invincible but we must have faith and I just think some of our players rely on Stevie for imagination instead of thinking for themselves. 

The squad as a whole and the senior players in any given starting eleven need to take on a greater sense of individual responsibility for 'making things happen' when they're on the pitch. I guess it can become too easy to rely on the likes of Gerrard and Torres when you play alongside players of that ilk.

As for the Mancs and their luck - 1 point gained Vs Sunderland - O.G, 2 points gained Vs Man City - extra 'added time', 2 points gained Vs Bolton - O.G (head dropping moment for the Bolton players aswell so early in the game).

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2009, 11:22:13 AM »
I've just compared our goals for/against with the Mancs and we've scored 1 more but conceded 4 more. They had more luck agan yesterday but the press hardly mentions it. They're not invincible but we must have faith and I just think some of our players rely on Stevie for imagination instead of thinking for themselves. Looking forward to seeing Alberto in a couple of weeks though.  :)

ASI as you say the Mancs are definitely not invincible by a long shot. Even though we did win our fair share of penalties and late winners last season United have had massive luck for almost two decades now. The fact that there wasnt a penalty given at Old Trafford against United for almost 10 years is enough to suggest they often receive an unfair advantage.

I think Fergie has developed the art of manipulating referrees, officials, the FA. He taps up players without players actually know they are being tapped up, christmas cards, trips to old trafford, get well soon cards, presents to families, its has been documented from time to time throughout the years but Fergie and United seem above the law.

Back to the point I dont think any of the other top 3 teams from last season are unbeatable. The standard of the top 4 has dropped off. We may be the team suffering the most but there will be more shock results by the time the seasons out. United may be top but with inconsistencies I think it looks like the title could be open to 6 teams this season with Spurs and City having joined the pack.

As for the beach ball it just seems like another of a long line of farcical incidents that has occurred since the Yanks took over that is making this club a joke. Although you cant blame the Americans directly for the beach ball goal, in a way indirectly they are still some way at fault. Had we enough quality playing personnel to take Sunderland apart after that goal then the beach ball goal would just be another horrendous refereeing decision resigned to the history books. And to further back up my point of how the owners contributed to saturdays loss have a read of the following..........

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/premiership/liverpool-pay-price-of-pennypinching-14536339.html

Liverpool pay price of penny-pinching

Tuesday, 20 October 2009

Liverpool were unable to fly Javier Mascherano and Emiliano Insua back from Argentina in time to face Sunderland because, unlike Barcelona and Manchester City, the club was unwilling to pay for a private plane.

Instead, following Argentina’s 1-0 victory over Uruguay that secured their place in the World Cup, both players took scheduled flights from South America via Paris. They arrived at the Liverpool team hotel near Sunderland but their manager, Rafael Benitez, judged that they were not ready to play at the Stadium of Light.

“They came straight to Sunderland from Paris so it was impossible for them to play,” Benitez explained. “I don’t know the exact arrangements but normally the (Argentine) federation arrange and pay for the flights.”

Barcelona hired a private airliner at the cost of £90,000 to bring Lionel Messi back to Spain in time to face Valencia.

Carlos Tevez was also flown back by private plane.

BTW, if it was 15 'too many' how many was it in total? (Sounds like a question off a GCSE maths paper.*)

Lol Tes for me 15 beers too many means 16 beers in total!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2009, 05:54:21 PM »
ASI as you say the Mancs are definitely not invincible by a long shot. Even though we did win our fair share of penalties and late winners last season United have had massive luck for almost two decades now. The fact that there wasnt a penalty given at Old Trafford against United for almost 10 years is enough to suggest they often receive an unfair advantage.

I think Fergie has developed the art of manipulating referrees, officials, the FA. He taps up players without players actually know they are being tapped up, christmas cards, trips to old trafford, get well soon cards, presents to families, its has been documented from time to time throughout the years but Fergie and United seem above the law.

Back to the point I dont think any of the other top 3 teams from last season are unbeatable. The standard of the top 4 has dropped off. We may be the team suffering the most but there will be more shock results by the time the seasons out. United may be top but with inconsistencies I think it looks like the title could be open to 6 teams this season with Spurs and City having joined the pack.

As for the beach ball it just seems like another of a long line of farcical incidents that has occurred since the Yanks took over that is making this club a joke. Although you cant blame the Americans directly for the beach ball goal, in a way indirectly they are still some way at fault. Had we enough quality playing personnel to take Sunderland apart after that goal then the beach ball goal would just be another horrendous refereeing decision resigned to the history books. And to further back up my point of how the owners contributed to saturdays loss have a read of the following..........

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/premiership/liverpool-pay-price-of-pennypinching-14536339.html

Liverpool pay price of penny-pinching

Tuesday, 20 October 2009

Liverpool were unable to fly Javier Mascherano and Emiliano Insua back from Argentina in time to face Sunderland because, unlike Barcelona and Manchester City, the club was unwilling to pay for a private plane.

Instead, following Argentina’s 1-0 victory over Uruguay that secured their place in the World Cup, both players took scheduled flights from South America via Paris. They arrived at the Liverpool team hotel near Sunderland but their manager, Rafael Benitez, judged that they were not ready to play at the Stadium of Light.

“They came straight to Sunderland from Paris so it was impossible for them to play,” Benitez explained. “I don’t know the exact arrangements but normally the (Argentine) federation arrange and pay for the flights.”

Barcelona hired a private airliner at the cost of £90,000 to bring Lionel Messi back to Spain in time to face Valencia.

Carlos Tevez was also flown back by private plane.

Lol Tes for me 15 beers too many means 16 beers in total!

Great points as usual Juan. It makes our current situation all the more frustrating.