September 19, 2019, 07:24:20 AM

Author Topic: The Queen is to blame for today's defeat at Sunderland  (Read 4809 times)

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The Queen is to blame for today's defeat at Sunderland
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2009, 07:25:43 PM »
Good points Juan. I'm really frustrated with the Premier league officials with the length of time it's taking them to fine  /ban Red Nose. It's hardly a prison sentence so why all the blasted appeals?  ::) I was hoping the old git would have to sit in the stands at Anfield but it looks as though he'll escape that too!

I'm not sure I agree with flying players home if that's how much it costs. They might get home quicker but I don't think they would have been ready for the Sunderland game mentally (and maybe physically).

Regarding tonight's game it good to see a youngster get a start. What's Kelly like? I don't remember seeing him in any games. Not sure Babel will appreciate Ngog starting ahead of him. I'm predicting a nervy 1-0 win.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2009, 09:19:25 PM »
I'm not sure I agree with flying players home if that's how much it costs. They might get home quicker but I don't think they would have been ready for the Sunderland game mentally (and maybe physically).

Regarding tonight's game it good to see a youngster get a start. What's Kelly like? I don't remember seeing him in any games. Not sure Babel will appreciate Ngog starting ahead of him. I'm predicting a nervy 1-0 win.

I agree ASI I wouldnt necessarily set a precedent of flying players home via private jet but I just thought it was interesting to see what lengths other clubs were willing to go. In certain occasions it may be worth it, would have been a massive boost to have Masch back and starting for last weekend.

Good grief Lyon should have scored. This game is looking pretty open , ASI that 1 nil prediction looks questionable even at this early stage. Heres to hoping though

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2009, 09:23:30 PM »
What a kick in the nuts, Reinas did so well to keep Lyon out for that goal, pitty the defense seemed so static.

With Fiorentina currently winning we really need another goal to keep our qualification hopes alive, otherwise it will be a daunting task indeed

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2009, 09:47:48 PM »
Uh oh..............

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2009, 10:41:47 PM »
What's Kelly like?

Liverpool 1 Lyon 2: match report

By Henry Winter
Published: 9:50PM BST 20 Oct 2009

Running on empty, Liverpool are running out of players, energy and ideas. The pressure certainly mounted on Rafa Benitez on Wednesday night when his team succumbed to modest French visitors, and a brief chorus of disapproval greeted his controversial decision to substitute their best player, Yossi Benayoun.

Having given Liverpool the lead, Benayoun was outstanding yet Lyon fought back, levelling through Maxine Gonalons and then, following Benayoun’s withdrawal, Cesar Delgado swooped in injury time to make it Liverpool's worst run since 1987. Next up? Manchester United.

This had been a game that Liverpool could not afford to lose, that had the Kop standing nervously as the game unfolded, their mood darkening after 25 minutes when Gerrard’s groin injury returned, lifting only when Benayoun struck four minutes from the break.

As Liverpool’s captain sloped down the tunnel for immediate medical attention, Benitez’s faith in his lesser lights was put to the test.

Fernando Torres and Glen Johnson were already missing. David Ngog attempted to fill in for Torres while Johnson’s absence with a groin strain A highly-regarded Academy product, Kelly had only a few games on loan at Huddersfield and eight minutes as a sub against PSV Eindhoven last season to his name but he relished this challenge, making some good tackles and always looking to push down the right. Some of his crossing was exceptional.

The best compliment that can be paid is that Johnson was hardly missed.

Kelly had to recover from a shaky moment as Lyon showed rare ambition after 11 minutes. Aly Cissokho, so impressive down the left for Porto against Manchester United last term, raided upfield, eluding Kelly and lifting over a cross met firmly by Lisandro.

Pepe Reina’s save was of the highest order, the Spainard pushing the ball to safety.

Stung, Liverpool hit back, looking briefly to the reassuring presence of Gerrard for inspiration. Liverpool’s captain took a pass off Benayoun, spun wide towards the left, turned and used that hammer of a right boot to drill the ball towards the far-post.

Dirk Kuyt met it beautifully but the referee had spotted a push by the Dutchman.

Gerrard soon limped from the fray, triggering another re-vamp. Aurelio came on in left midfield, Benayoun switched to the right and Kuyt assumed Gerrard’s role behind Ngog.

Lyon, strangely, lacked a sense of adventure, failing to go for the jugular of the weakened English. Top of the French League? You’re having a laugh.

Liverpool, a class apart, deservedly retained the initiative, performing with a belief lacking in their previous three games. Aurelio gave some pace and energy to the left,
seizing on a long cross from Kelly and firing into the box. After a ricochet, Ngog twisted and hooked in a shot that Hugo Lloris saved.

Even taking into account their own injury problems, Lyon disappointed in the first period, desperately lacking any real support for Lisandro.

Their captain, Sidney Govou, certainly should have scored from a Kim Kallstrom cross. It proved a costly miss. Four minutes from the break, Liverpool were ahead.

Benayoun had been assuming more and more responsibility, taking the game to the French. Fittingly, the Israeli international commenced the attack that led to his goal, setting up Aurelio, whose ball into the Lyons box caused chaos.

The visitors’ centre-halves, Cris and Jeremy Toulalan, never looked secure and both were caught out here, Cris almost caught cold when colliding with a stray boot.

One man kept his head. One player remained calm amidst the storm and flying feet. Controlling the loose ball expertly, Benayoun stroked it firmly past Lloris.

As the Kop breathed a collective sigh of relief, Benayoun ran deliberately towards the home bench, not to Benitez, but to the club doctor, Mark Waller, who was wrapped in a huge embrace.

Liverpool almost had more to celebrate moments later. The lively Kelly, racing down the right again, hoisted over a long cross that Aurelio, speeding in out of nowhere, headed powerfully goalwards. As the Kop prepared to leap into the air with joy, Lloris frustrated them with a wonderful save.

Still Liverpool pressed, exploiting Cris’s departure, and Ngog flicked a header just over. As the second half spluttered into life, Benayoun again shone, chasing down a ball, releasing Kuyt on the right and then heading the Dutchman’s return just wide.

Liverpool really should have made it 2-0 just before the hour-mark.

Kelly, proving a real find, delivered another fine cross towards Ngog, who chested the ball down and shot weakly wide.

Still Liverpool hunted hard for a second. Kuyt thought he had scored with a downward header but Lloris, dropping to his right, saved well.

Lloris was as good as the majority of his colleagues were poor. Miralem Pjanic certainly failed to live up to all the hype. As for Ederson’s supposed talent, Anfield was definitely left in the dark.

Lyons coach, Claude Puel, had seen enough, hooking Edersen, and sending on Bafetimbi Gomis, a tall, muscular striker who began to cause major problems for Liverpool’s tiring defence.

Defending the Kop end, Carragher and company were under siege. Kelly, a real talent in the making, headed clear and then slid in to stop Cissokho.

Lyons pushed and probed, eventually equalising after 72 minutes. Lucas was far too easily bypassed in midfield, Lyons flooding forward, forcing a corner off Mascherano.

Mayhem ruled. Liverpool’s marking was shocking, allowing Lyons three uncontested attempts at goal. Only Reina delayed the inevitable, saving from Toulalan, then Govou before Maxime Gonalons made it third time lucky for Lyons with a header that arrowed into Liverpool’s net and hearts.

Benitez gambled, removing Benayoun, precipitating those boos as Andrei Voronin came on. And when Delgado stroked home Lyons’ winner in stoppage time, the dissent continued.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/liverpool/6389473/Liverpool-1-Lyon-2-match-report.html

Goodbye Degen then, hopefully.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 10:45:41 PM by Tes »
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2009, 11:00:31 PM »
Goodbye Degen then, hopefully.

Kelly was one of the few positives tonight.

There was a lot of dead wood out there that needs shifting.

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2009, 12:13:28 PM »
There was a lot of dead wood out there that needs shifting.

Does that include the manager?  Sorry, naughty of me  :-X
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2009, 08:00:56 PM »
Gurdeep, it's a fair question. Though before even considering the pros and cons of Rafa's suitability to continue we have to consider two things.

1. Financially can the club afford to sack the manager and also pay off the back room staff that would also leave, and then there's also the cost of the new manager and his back room staff.

2.Do you trust Randolf and Mortimer to have the first idea about appointing a suitable replacement even if they were to take advice?

I think we would all place question marks against some of Rafa's lineups, substitutions, tactics, purchases, sales and style of 'man management'.

It's whether there are enough question marks and are there consistent problems not being rectified and mistakes being made repeatedly made to justify removing him.

Then there's the replacement. We don't want a short term solution as that would undermine even further the chance of the club being sold and rectifying (hopefully) the biggest problem at the club. Of the possible names likely to be put forward, there's a case that can be made against each of them.

1. Capello - he's already stated that the England job will be his last and you can understand that winning the World Cup (however likely or unlikely) would be the icing on his career. His age is also against him.
2. Mourinho - apart from Porto, his other successes have been in hugely advantagous circumstances, very different from what he'd get at Anfield. Also with his uncheckable ego we'd be on the front and back pages every day and it would make Rafa's troubles with the owners seem pale in comparison.
3. Hiddink - again, not a long term appointment due to his age and I've never been convinced that Hiddink is a club manager, but rather a club coach. How much would he want to concern himself with matters outside the first team. We would probably need someone to be put in charge of building and developing the club outside of the first team, a job Rafa is and has it seems already spent a lot of thought, time and effort on. So that appointment (not Hiddink's) would be equally as crucial to both short and medium term success and could cause problems for and with Hiddink's successor.
4. AN Other - I guess O'Neill's name would get thrown in, maybe Martinez at Wigan because of our Spanish influence, possibly Rijkaard (Dutch element and relative success with Barca), Klinsmann  :'(, possible outsider in Martin Jol, and there's probably one or two German Bundesliga managers and Van Gaal (if the players think Rafa's distant they'd be rudely awakened by Van Gaal).

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2009, 08:47:03 PM »
Randolf and Mortimer

lol....love that one.
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2009, 08:52:05 PM »
You've mentioned a few names there Tes.  What if I was to suggest, dare I say it.... the return of the King! and were not talking Lord of the Rings shed here either ;)

He's back at the club, involved in something called youth development whatever that is and loves the club to it's core.  If the bat phone rings, maybe Kenny will answer it?

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2009, 12:40:44 AM »
I'd hate to see it. What would happen if he wasn't successful? I think he's been away from management too long now to come in and do the job we all want doing. I'd let sleeping dogs lie on this one. 

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2009, 02:49:36 AM »
Rafa is one of the finest managers in the world.

He's had relative peanuts to spend (net transfer budgets), compared to the usual annual league title winners (united and chelsea). 

If we sack someone of his calibre (a stunning record in the CL and making progress each year in the league), then we deserve to go down the tubes. 

Anyroads, despite having their biggest thinking caps on, Laurel and Hardy's best effort to date, was Klinsmann.  And look what subsequently happened that lad's managerial career.  Anything our two plonkers touch, seems to turn to sh.it

I wouldn't trust those two with organising a p.iss-up in a brewery. 

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.