November 30, 2020, 08:06:25 AM

Author Topic: We are not a team with just 2 players!  (Read 8056 times)

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
We are not a team with just 2 players!
« on: October 21, 2009, 02:01:30 PM »
I've been thinking about this latest cliche that gets bandied about all the time now and it's simply not true in my opinion. There seems to have been a lot of chopping and changing with the side this season for various reasons. There are two problems with this 1.) It's difficult to get the balance right 2.) there's been little continuity i.e. a chance for the same players in the same positions to play together week in week out.

Personally, I feel that there IS enough quality in the squad to win a trophy this season but it has to be a team that does it NOT two players. So I'd rather hear that we don't have the balance right yet!!!!

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
Re: We are not a team with just 2 players!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 06:17:03 PM »
We beat Man U at home last year with Gerrard and Torres on the bench, so hopefully thats an omen for sunday :) Its going to be a belter whoever plays. Liverpool fans are the best around at getting behind their team when we're in a bit of a hole. The atmosphere will be electric. And looking forward to giving Owen a warm welcome ;) Cant wait

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 08:08:40 PM »
So we're a two man team, made up of Torres and Gerrard, yet we're missing Alonso? Journos - you couldn't make up their sh!t.* (Insert - scratches head in puzzlement smiley).

*Yet they still manage to make it up.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 08:11:47 PM »
So I'd rather hear that we don't have the balance right yet!!!!

It's not sensational enough and pundits like Merson and Cascarino wouldn't be able to explain it, so us being a 'two man team' is easier for their tiny minds to remember and keep trotting out.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 02:54:57 AM »
I can't figure how brain challenged morons, like Merson, get paid money to trot out their weekly gibberish. 

But in the wider scale of things, if having to compete in the UEFA Cup (or whatever UEFA is calling it this week), is the price of getting rid of Laurel and Hardy, then I will accept that price.

My only fear is that Rafa will be pushed out, before the banks get to the yanks.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 01:50:21 AM »
Hah and we beat the Mancs (yet again) with only 'half' our team.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 08:17:14 AM »
Let's see how the media can skew our win, away from the other lads, towards our supposed main man (without whom we can never win a match).

I'll go with, a notional dressing room motivational chat by Stevie, ala:

'Captain Fantastic's Half Time call to arms, puts United To The Sword'

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 11:34:23 PM »
Or the Mancs had an uncharacteristic off day, aided by an 'inexperienced' referee who had sent off their defensive lynchpin but failed to send our's off, aswell as missing the blatant penalty which would have altered the game and hence the result, despite their underpar performance. And their was no beachball to help them like Sunderland had had. Still they'll walk the league and the Champions League whilst we struggle to finish fourth, pipping 'arry's brave Hotspurs on the last game of season.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 07:22:51 AM »
Inexperienced Ref Says Carry On, Chopper Carra

or

Late Goal Seals Nervy Win

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 12:02:03 AM »
Either way we won't get any credit and it will be blamed on anything in order to avoid giving Rafa and our 'one man team' any credit, despite the fact even 'The Odious One' admitted we deserved to win, despite Mike Phelan trying his best on MOTD2 to convince the world otherwise.

centenaryjonny

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 11:09:02 AM »
I am new to this site, and am wary of coming across the wrng way, as I know the Rafa lovers have a chip on their shoulder, but here it goes.

Like it or not, we are an AVERAGE team with two really good players.  Torres and Gerrard aside, how many of the current squad will achieve legend status in years to come? How many would START for United, Chelsea, Madrid, Barca? Our rivals for trophies?

Each team has its weakness, and maybe there is a better player for one position at one club, eg Madrid (CB), Barca (DM), United (RB) and so on, but there isnt one other player who would automatically start for all of those clubs.

Take T&G away and you are left with the likes of Dirk or Benny as key players, now whilst each one is ok, they are nothing special, and wouldnt get into any of the above teams.  So, who would? Johnson, Skrtel, Masch?  Maybe masch at Barca, but is he really better than Toure, or Keita? Maybe Johnson at Utd, or Skrtel at Madrid, but the point is that they arent as good as the players they are trying to beat, the rest of te squad is simply awful by comparison to Spurs or Arsenal.

Beating Utd doesnt prove anything, Burnley beat them last month!  Look at what their squad has won, and what ours has won, that is the true test of who is better.

We have lost 6 out of the last 7, and it just happens to be when T&G are not fit.  Wake up people, we are a decent team with 2 great players, and after 5 years and nearly £300m that shouldnt be the case, especially when Gerrard was already there!

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 11:28:55 AM »
Take T&G away and you are left with the likes of Dirk or Benny as key players, now whilst each one is ok, they are nothing special

take Rooney and Ferdinand out of the Man Utd team and you're left with Park, Nevra, Neville, Brown and Park (and pensioners Giggs and Scholes).

And if you really believe that Dirk and Benny are 'nothing special' then you're following the wrong sport.

Get behind the team.  A team that I might add, has excelled despite being built on a relatively small budget (something like a net average spend of 16 or so million each season) and a team that just a few months ago, hammered both Real Madrid and Man Utd 4-1 in the space of one week.

BTW Welcome to the forum.

centenaryjonny

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 01:08:38 PM »
Hey, I'm just trying to be honest, doesnt mean I'm not behind the team!

That seems to be the problem these days, unless you say that everything is great, and every player is world class, you are apparently 'not a true fan'!

Benny and Dirk are nothing special, why are they?  Would Dirk, (a striker) start in place of Valencia, Ballack, Ronaldo or Messi on the right for the best teams?  Or up front instead of Berbatov, Anelka, Higuain, or Henry.  (None of these are the clubs star striker!)

What about Benny?, Would he replace Malouda, Giggs, Robben or Iniesta?  Of course not!  I love Benny, but he is not the best player in the world!  The likes of Dirk and Benny are Aston Villa or Spurs players, they are good, consistent, but are not the very best in their position.

I dont expect us to be simply buying a group of players like Madrid have, but we have to simpy face facts.  To be the best team in England, you have to have the best team in England, Europe is slightly different, its a cup and you may get the odd fluke. but the PL is about 38 games, and class and quality always tells in the end.

As for taking players from other teams, obviously taking the best players out of teams will make them weaker, but it should not make them average.  Compare the teams, you said Ferdinand and Rooney were Utds best players, so HONESTLY which team is the best?

--------------------------------Van Der Sar--------------------------------------------Silva------------Vidic--------------Brown------------Evra-----------Valencia------------------Carrick---------Hargreaves----------------Giggs------------------------------Owen-----------Berbatov--------------------------Subs: Foster, O'Shea, Nani, Anderson, Fletcher, Park, Scholes

--------------------------------Reina-----------------------------------------------Johnson--------Carragher------------Skrtel-------------Insua-----------Kuyt-----------------------Aquilani-------Mascherano-------------Benayoun- ----------------------------Ngog-------Voronin------------------------------Subs: Cavielleri, Agger, Dosenna, Babel, Riera, Lucas, Aurelio

Now, before any bias comes in, bear in mind that all but 2 of the United squad have PL medals, only one of our players has.  All but 2 were in the CL final last year, and won it the year before, so as tempting as it is to dismiss the United squad, they have been there and done it.

Also Aquilani is unknown, he could be another Gerrard, could be another Lucas!!

If we were without Gerrard and Torres for the entire season, we would struggle to finish in the top 6, whch shows we are average 

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 01:11:20 PM »
I agree with you dude. When we've got our full squad fit we're a team not made up of world class individuals, but a hard working collective unit. This in my opinion is much better. Theres no real big ego's just players working there socks off for each other. We've been hit by a Tsunami of injuries this year not just a wave! Apart from Reina, Carra, Insua, Dirk and Lucas every other player has had some kind of injury this season. In our financial situation and the lack of deph this creates, this is crippling. If you were to ask season ticket holders twist or stick with Rafa,I'd say he still has 85-90% support of them.

P.S Dude where are you on your world adventures at the moment? Last time you said i think you were in Panama

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2009, 01:15:20 PM »
@Jonny

As long as Aquilani stays fit, I can safely say that he's more like Gerrard than Lucas