0-0
1 (20%)
Score draw
1 (20%)
Man Utd to win
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: October 26, 2009, 06:20:59 PM

Author Topic: Liverpool v Manchester United  (Read 8641 times)

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Liverpool v Manchester United
« on: October 23, 2009, 07:20:59 PM »
Let's have your predictions lads and lasses.  ;D

Voting closes at 2pm Sunday.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 07:22:03 PM by Ageing Stick Insect »
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Liverpool v Manchester United
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 07:49:42 PM »
The rot has to stop somewhere, we arent as bad as some are making out so what better place to do it than Anfield against the Mancs.

Im going to say 2-0 to the Pool, with the win proving that the title is anyones this season.

Torres and Benayoun to get the goals................. ;)

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 12:22:17 AM »
Not sure about the result it's been too f**king crazy this season so far!

I fancy Voro to get one!!!!!!!!! (Before I get hammered, the scripts for these things are usually quite bizarre and he's a game lad so, if he's on in the last 5 minutes who knows?)

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 07:22:50 PM »
1-0 to Liverpool with an Owen own goal! :P

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 11:29:51 PM »
3 - 2 to Liverpool

hell, maybe even 4 - 3
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Texas_Dawg

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 06:53:56 PM »
What a great win after a horrible run.  Hopefully that will finally get things going.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 07:34:04 PM »
Well Dawg, it can only continue if we have another striker should Torres get injured and that is down to your mate Hicks and his partner Gillett.

So come January it would be nice if Rafa was given some money to strengthen his squad with another good forward.

Pass it on please.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 07:53:29 PM »
What a great win in front of those horrible runts.  Hopefully that will finally get them going and they will leave our club.

Couldn't agree more T.D   ;)
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 08:16:58 PM »
What an atmosphere, what a result! ;D Owen wouldnt even come any where near the kop when he was warming up.Welcome back Michael. Once a manq never a red!!!!! Even met Brian Reade and Peter Hooton in the Salisbury.What a day. Hope it shuts up Benitez doubters for a while :P

FlotionPotion

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 08:39:03 PM »
if all we needed was a bit of motivation then the prem is ours.   That knid of intensity should be given to everyone we face.  Thats how we finished the season last year. But the truth is we will put in half arsed performances against most of the league this year.

We have more balance without Gerrard. Does a below par Stevie G drag the rest of the team down?

I've asked this question before, and don't get me wrong I'm a massive SG fan, but for the good of the team does SG have to go????

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 09:55:10 PM »
Flo have you had a few too many after the game? I've had a few today but not as many as you by the sounds of it :D . Steves one of the best footballers in the world. Stick him in any position on the pitch and he'll be our best player. I dont think people will truely appreciate Steve until he hangs up his boots. He's been part of the furniture for so long maybe we take him for granted

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 01:48:36 AM »
He's been part of the furniture for so long maybe we take him for granted

Ah, but is he a lamp shade or a coffee table?

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 02:05:41 AM »
Alex Ferguson attacks ref but admits Liverpool deserved to win

Published 23:00 25/10/09 By David Maddock

Fernando Torres lifted Liverpool back into the title race, but only after pursuading boss Rafa Benitez to let him play on the bus to the ground.

The Spanish striker proved the crucial figure in an intense, passionate contest with Manchester United that left visiting manager Sir Alex Ferguson again questioning the match official.

Torres said: “This was a massive, massive win that can be so important. We knew that we needed nothing less than a win to stay in the title race, and now we are most definitely back in it.

“This team can beat anyone, and this was a fabulous result because it shows we are capable of challenging. We have got to keep playing at this level, and keep playing as a team and we will be right back in there.”

Ferguson is already facing an FA charge after a withering attack on the fitness of Alan Wiley, and this time he pointedly wondered if referee Andre Marriner was swayed by the intimidating atmosphere at Anfield.

But while the Old Trafford manager complained about key moments in the game, he at least conceded Liverpool were the better side, and Torres the pivotal performer.

It might have been so different though, with Benitez revealing afterwards that he decided the Spanish striker would play only on the bus journey to the stadium two hours before the game.

“We decided literally on the journey to Anfield. It was a difficult decision because Fernando had not been training, but after talking with him we thought it was better to start with him,” he explained.

“I decided that he would play after talking with my staff. I talked with Fernando on the coach and after this I spoke with my staff and we decided to play him from the beginning.

“You could see that he was not 100% and you could see that he was not fresh but still sometimes 80% of Fernando can make a difference, as he did here.”

Torres provided the crucial goal on 65 minutes, and substitute David Ngog confirmed Liverpool’s superiority with a second in injury time, but only after Nemanja Vidic and Javier Mascherano were dismissed after both committed two bookable offences.

While Liverpool were left celebrating a win that puts them within four points of United, Ferguson painted a very different picture as he complained about what he saw as two incorrect decisions that turned the game Liverpool’s way.

“We lost out to one or two major decisions. I felt Carrick in the first-half was a penalty kick, but the controversial one that everyone will be talking about is when Carragher brought Michael Owen down on the edge of the box,” he said.

“He is their most experienced player, their best defender without question, so if he goes off at that stage of the game it would be difficult for them.

“Liverpool got a wee bit caught up in the atmosphere - the wounded animal aspect of it. Their fans were fanatical and every decision, they put the referee under pressure all the time.

“The crowd got Vidic booked, and that put the ref under pressure, but this atmosphere is hard to handle for a referee. Whether he had enough experience or not, I don’t know, but he will certainly learn from it.

“All in all though, Liverpool were the better team. They created more chances and were better than us on the day.”

Ferguson remained defiant despite his side’s poor performance on the day, and he left offering them a challenge as they move on from this defeat.

“At some points of the season, you get disappointments and one was today. We lost here last season and went on to win the league, so that’s the challenge.”

Gary Neville will escape punishment despite making a gesture to the crowd and then getting involved in an exchange with a policeman before the warm-down after the defeat,  while Patrice Evra had to be restrained after a verbal spat with fans.Gary Neville will escape punishment despite making a gesture to the crowd and then getting involved in an exchange with a policeman before the warm-down after the defeat,  while Patrice Evra had to be restrained after a verbal spat with fans.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Alex-Ferguson-attacks-referee-but-admits-Liverpool-deserved-to-win-article201459.html

So whatever punishment Ferguson gets for his attack on Wiley has already been rendered useless, though I doubt he'll get much for that and anything for today's outburst.

Good to see the 'respect' campaign is only being adhered to by those who were expected to go along with it. As with everything else, it appears to be only optional for the Mancs and Ferguson.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 02:10:34 AM by Tes »

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 07:45:01 AM »
why is Ferguson allowed to get away with this continual abuse/bullying of officials.

it's one law for Ferguon, and another for everyone else.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2009, 11:57:38 PM »
why is Ferguson allowed to get away with this continual abuse/bullying of officials.

it's one law for Ferguon, and another for everyone else.

Because..................who the Hell knows apart from the people who let Ferguson and the Mancs do as they choose, but it stinks and is yet another thing that undermines football in this country and just allows the slide to continue. Hopefully, once he's departed things will change or maybe they'll then wheel out 'Sir' Bobby Charlton to try and influence things with their own brand of emotional blackmail.