January 26, 2021, 11:55:15 AM

Author Topic: Liverpool - Spurs  (Read 7408 times)

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Liverpool - Spurs
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 11:40:33 PM »
Yo Dude,

That's that cleared up then. I'm pleased you get to see the games. Up the mountain eh? Not skiing I suppose. You still in Panama? Mountains in Panama? ???

We know Stevie will get the captaincy back but carra's influence is considerable and he's been a mountain in the last two games. Kyrri has had two good games as well. Slightly lucky moments just before 1st goal and with their disallowed one but Pepe must take some blame for that mess too. But he's settled well considering the pressure on the defence.

Pity Kuyt will move to the right when Torres returns but it does give Rafa the right sort of headache. Dirk missed a couple of easy ones. Spurs seemed to lack belief they can beat a top 4 club. Could be their undoing. Villa shipped goals in the CC semi but scored plenty. Take Tevez out of City and they're not half the side.

Squeky bum time beckons at the weekend.  :P
Cheers,
Ray

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2010, 11:49:19 PM »
lol  yes, squeaky bum times.

I agree re Tevez and City.  Tevez was the reason Utd peaked in Europe these past 2 years IMHO.

Kuyt is a fantastic lad.  He sums up everything good about Liverpool FC

I'd love to see us build a TEAM without Stevie Me dominating it's core. 

No ski-ing in the tropics.  But lovely cooler temps up there.  It was 35 degrees at sea level (I live presently beside the ocean).  Up the mountain (which is some 12 miles/30 mins away) it is 28 or 29 in the day time....and 22 to 25 at nights.  Awesome, year round weather.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2010, 11:53:29 PM »
Great result!

Lots of spirit and character tonight!

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2010, 11:55:52 PM »
I was totally frustrated at Dirk last Saturday but he more than made up for it tonight. Great work rate and total commitment.

You lucky sod! Two weeks ago it dropped to -17.8C just east of me in Woodford, Cheshire. It's now a balmy 3C and will hit 8C tomorrow with Atlantic fronts and heavy rain moving in!  :( Still, better than snow.

Don't get sunburnt dude!  ;)
Cheers,
Ray

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2010, 12:00:30 AM »
You lucky sod! Two weeks ago it dropped to -17.8C just east of me in Woodford, Cheshire. It's now a balmy 3C and will hit 8C tomorrow with Atlantic fronts and heavy rain moving in!  :( Still, better than snow.

Don't get sunburnt dude!  ;)

yes, I watch the UK forecasts online....and this has been an awful winter...worst they say in 30 years.

Amazing that it got to minus 18 with you there.

The weather finally got to me (44 years of drizzle, grey, dark and cold weather)......and I left.  I extended my return ticket twice....and was supposed to come back finally in September 2009.  When the day arrived, I just couldn't leave this weather.

I do miss the scenery tho of home.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2010, 12:13:24 AM »
So what are the London journos going to make of 'arry's Hotspurs being beaten by a two man team with those two men missing?

I guess the bubble will get burst soon enough though.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2010, 01:46:18 AM »
So what are the London journos going to make of 'arry's Hotspurs being beaten by a two man team with those two men missing?

Unlucky Spurs On Off-Night

Johnny Foreigner Benitez Lives To Fight Another Day

Irish_Mark

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2010, 02:47:12 AM »
I think we saw a new Liverpool tonight. It looked as if we'd go very defensive, and for about 20 mins in the second half we took a good pounding when Spurs really upped the tempo, but when was the last time you saw a Liverpool team press so hard for a second goal so close to the end? Really delighted, it goes without saying. Thought N'Gog was outstanding. He looked very confident on the ball, touch was brilliant and could have grabbed a goal himself. He won us the pen and sealed the game. Really offered something different when he came on.

Every player on the pitch deserves credit tonight. They were all outstanding I thought.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2010, 08:13:02 AM »
Excellent and essential result! Nice balance in midfield with riera back...and aquilani played well..all the boys did well..showed good spirit too....
maybe stripping out the dead wood like voronin and dossena has brought some much needed concentration back to the team...
And with no torres or gerrard an added sense of responsibility?

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2010, 02:23:34 PM »
Excellent and essential result! Nice balance in midfield with riera back...and aquilani played well..all the boys did well..showed good spirit too....
maybe stripping out the dead wood like voronin and dossena has brought some much needed concentration back to the team...
And with no torres or gerrard an added sense of responsibility?

Eggszackerly.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2010, 05:06:27 PM »
yes, I watch the UK forecasts online....and this has been an awful winter...worst they say in 30 years.

Amazing that it got to minus 18 with you there.
Me too. Coldest since 1981/82 winter. 1962/63 still worse with snow but there's still time.  :(

The weather finally got to me (44 years of drizzle, grey, dark and cold weather)......and I left.  I extended my return ticket twice....and was supposed to come back finally in September 2009.  When the day arrived, I just couldn't leave this weather.
You must be a Manchester lad! It can be depressing at times but at least it's rarely life threatening.

I do miss the scenery tho of home.
Crossing the Pennines is breathtaking. Lake District too. Rain is what makes a country beautiful.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2010, 06:02:28 PM »
Me too. Coldest since 1981/82 winter. 1962/63 still worse with snow but there's still time.  :(
You must be a Manchester lad! It can be depressing at times but at least it's rarely life threatening.
Crossing the Pennines is breathtaking. Lake District too. Rain is what makes a country beautiful.

ASI, apart from new zealand (and maybe the rockies that stretch down into the usa), there is absolutely nothing else on this planet, to compare with the beautiful scenery of the British Isles.

Now mind you, the past decade or two has seen the south of england become one giant car park......but above that, Britain is sheer beauty.

I really miss my northern coastline.  I miss the long summer nights.  I miss not being able to walk in the grass and plop down (one has to be careful of snakes here....not that I have had any encounters to date).

But Britain has only decent weather, for at best a few months each year.  Here, I have good weather, all year.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2010, 06:41:16 PM »
Good points Dude. It's probably impossible to have a good climate (warm & sunny) and lovely countryside which needs sun and rain. I often think central France has the best combo. Pity about the occupants though.  ;) NZ is okay but too remote.

No snakes to speak of up here - only the ones trying to slap a ticket on your windscreen in car parks! Now they should be put down! And the bloody politicians of course but you probably think the same of yours.  :o
Cheers,
Ray

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2010, 07:13:14 PM »
Good points Dude. It's probably impossible to have a good climate (warm & sunny) and lovely countryside which needs sun and rain. I often think central France has the best combo. Pity about the occupants though.  ;) NZ is okay but too remote.

No snakes to speak of up here - only the ones trying to slap a ticket on your windscreen in car parks! Now they should be put down! And the bloody politicians of course but you probably think the same of yours.  :o

northland, which is the most northern province of north island, new zealand, would have been my pick, ASI.  It has the best of all worlds...english speaking....sub-tropical climate......and amazingly, no snakes, scorpions or bad bugs (which is unheard of in warmer climes).

I was within a whisker of buying a lovely mountain plot there. 

I have relatives in NZ....they went there in the 50s and 60s.

But ultimately, like you say, it was just too remote. 

Yes agreed re politicians.  As well as the poor climate in the UK, I was also totally fed up with how the govt had ruined the country.

And I was fed up with all the EU rules.  I had 3 or 4 big plastic wheelie bins by the end.  I couldn't as much as go for a leak, without seeking permission from some local quango council body.

If it were up to me, I'd dissolve parliament and all our local councils..........and redefine democracy and start afresh.   Big business and political greed, have hijacked our institutions.

Bliar, Campbell, Straw, Brown, Mandelson, etc should all be in the Hague.   IMHO

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2010, 10:22:32 PM »
I lived in the northern suburbs of Sydney as a kid. Parents emigrated to Oz back in 62 as "10 quid poms" but we returned to UK 2 years later as dad didn't like the climate! Me and mum loved it. 5 weeks on a ship returning across the Pacific and through the Panama canal. Still remember it to this day.

We have the same political opinions. Until we can extracate ourselves from the EU it doesn't really matter which party is in power. Can't see it happening sadly. The long slow demise of a once-great country. Churchill would be so sad.

But forget all that and live for football! It's the one great thing that brings everyone together irrespective or wealth, status or age.  ;D
Cheers,
Ray