September 21, 2019, 02:54:52 PM

Author Topic: IAN RUSH: Aquilani can blossom into a Liverpool star  (Read 1724 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
IAN RUSH: Aquilani can blossom into a Liverpool star
« on: January 26, 2010, 07:18:22 AM »
RAFA BENITEZ has been careful in ensuring Alberto Aquilani does not find himself saddled with too much pressure too soon.

If the Italian midfielder continues to play as he did against Tottenham, though, Rafa is going to find it difficult to manage expectations, as Aquilani looks a star.

I’ve been impressed with the way he looks to move the ball forward.

Once he, Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard are working in tandem, the Reds will have a potent attacking force to cause problems.

What really pleases about Aquilani, however, is his attitude and willingness to take a knock for the team.

The bravery he showed to set up Dirk Kuyt’s opener against Spurs will ensure he is held in great esteem.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: IAN RUSH: Aquilani can blossom into a Liverpool star
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 07:19:57 AM »
I agree with Ian Rush.

The lad, despite being out for so long with injury, is showing tantalising glimpses of greatness.

If he can stay injury free, we might just have a real diamond on our hands.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Irish_Mark

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 11:59:11 AM »
Have to hold my hands up I did say he wasn't good enough. But he was superb v Spurs. More of the same please :)

centenaryjonny

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 12:12:15 PM »
The lad has talent, he sees his pass before he gets the ball, and is comfortable in control, my only fear is that he is a little too slow in the same way that Xabi was.

With not much pace he cant get out of trouble and the kind of player he is means that opponents will try and go in on him when they can so I feel a few more knocks on the horizon!!

Hopefully not though, as he does seem to have a bit of class.

I just hope Rafa doesnt play him too deep, and I'd like to see him in front of Stevie where he can do damage with his class.

wittsy

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 06:45:43 PM »
I think the fella has it all but speed. He has the abilty to just flick a pass with any part of his foot at will and has great vision.

Its a must that he plays in that more forward position though, he will have the pleasure of Torres infront of him and if Gerrard plays deeper he will be able to run onto pass after pass from Aquilani which will surely be a good thing.

I think by the end of the season he will be a treasured member of the squad (aleast I hope : ))

This does then ask one question though.......... Masch or Lucas? I don't think it's as obvious as it would seem.

Jas

Irish_Mark

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 07:04:19 PM »

This does then ask one question though.......... Masch or Lucas? I don't think it's as obvious as it would seem.

Jas

Agree completely. I think Lucas has had a very respectable season given what he had to face

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 07:15:19 PM »
good analysis, wittsy.

personally, I'd take Stevie out of the centre and play him on the right again.

heck, if someone offered big money in the summer, I'd use that to transform the team.

time to rebuild/rejuvenate/move-on.  Time to forget notions of building teams around one or two players.  Time to focus on TEAM.

If we focus on TEAM, then we can genuinely see how players like Lucas can perform.  They need to be allowed to come out of the shade and show what they can do.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 07:40:43 PM »
good analysis, wittsy.

personally, I'd take Stevie out of the centre and play him on the right again.

heck, if someone offered big money in the summer, I'd use that to transform the team.

time to rebuild/rejuvenate/move-on.  Time to forget notions of building teams around one or two players.  Time to focus on TEAM.

If we focus on TEAM, then we can genuinely see how players like Lucas can perform.  They need to be allowed to come out of the shade and show what they can do.

*Chucks hard hat to Dude*
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 11:42:54 PM »
*fluffy and dude roughing it in the mountains*

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 02:35:28 AM »
Talking of Aquilani, was he injured last night? Why no appearance, not even as sub?
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.