September 19, 2019, 10:03:17 PM

Author Topic: Reds Vs Wolves  (Read 5697 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: Reds Vs Wolves
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2010, 11:31:41 PM »
:'( :'( :'(

This season reminds me of the days under Ged.  We'd win a game then lose, then win, then lose, throw in a couple of draws for good measure and carry on with our consistently inconsistant form as the season progressed. 

exactly, Gurdeep.

when I watch our games, I just see what looks like close season performances.

we just have been unable to get out of second gear, all season.

there is something badly wrong at the heart of this team.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2010, 11:34:19 PM »
Rafa finds positives in draw   ::)

Rafa Benitez treated Liverpool's goalless draw with Wolves as a positive result despite falling off the pace for a UEFA Champions League berth.

The Reds had the chance to return to the top four for the first time since September providing results went their way ahead of their clash against relegation-battling Wanderers on Tuesday night.

But even with the return of fit-again talisman Steven Gerrard, the Merseysiders' toothless display saw maximum points elude them and leave them trailing Tottenham by three points in the race for fourth place.

"I think it was a tough game in the first half," admitted Benitez to Sky Sports.

"We were more in control in the second half, they were pushing (for a goal). It was a tough game for both (sides) and maybe the result is fair.

Positive
"I think it (the draw) is positive - we kept a clean sheet and you can see the team was working very hard and everybody is working for everyone."

The game saw Benitez make two changes to the team that beat top-four rivals Spurs with skipper Gerrard and new-boy Maxi Rodriguez handed starts for the Molineux trip.

But neither player left their mark on the game, with Gerrard - returning from a hamstring injury - looking particularly rusty but the Reds boss was happy with the duo's performances in the draw.

But Benitez reckons Gerrard will be back on top form very soon.

"It was positive for us that he was available, you can see that he has to improve his match fitness but it's a question of time," the Spaniard said.

And on Rodriguez's role he added: "He can give us more competition for each position and that is also good because we have problems in the wide areas."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5887623,00.html

My move to the dark side feels imminent.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2010, 11:40:35 PM »
You don't, because you can't. I fail to understand his thinking in this situation. If we lose we remain on the same points total, however, if we win our total increases by 3, so there's nothing to lose. I realise it's the 'bleeding obvious' but I just don't understand why Rafa fails to get it. I can understand caution against the top 3 and even our direct competitors for fourth (though I'd prefer to try and gain an advantage a win would give us) but outside of those we should have nothing to fear and go all out for victory, no other thought but victory. 
He fails to get it because he's so bloody-minded and stubborn Tes. He clearly has his favourites who he will not drop under any circumstances. He is naturally defensively minded in his tactics and he spouts the same bloody rubbish about "controlling the game" which he's just done now on the post-match interview. He doesn't even look frustrated and thought a point was a fair result. Arrgghh!

I feel like screaming. This cannot go on. He clearly cannot turn things around and for those who say he's entitled to one bad season I say this... If a manager cannot turn things around in over 35 games what makes you think there is the remotest chance he can improve next season when there will be little or no money to improve the squad?

This must be the 4th false dawn. The most frustrating thing is he has the players to win these kind of games but clearly cannot motivate or organise them into a potent attacking force. What skills does he have left? Answers on a postage stamp!
Cheers,
Ray

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2010, 11:45:45 PM »
My move to the dark side feels imminent.

:o :o :o :o :o
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2010, 06:49:56 AM »
Aquilani must be just stunned, sitting there on the bench ALL game... what's he got to do? Excellent against Spurs, Wolves were there for the taking..not even a look in...
Riera played well and got subbed..
Maxi and SG didn't play well and were left on...
Woeful...
irritated beyond belief...

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2010, 02:40:17 PM »
Three attacking players remain on the bench in a game we needed to win.

Draws killed our title challenge last season and with the amount of defeats we've suffered draws are simply not enough to make up for the previous points dropped.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2010, 03:36:42 PM »
Aquilani must be just stunned, sitting there on the bench ALL game... what's he got to do? Excellent against Spurs, Wolves were there for the taking..not even a look in...
Riera played well and got subbed..
Maxi and SG didn't play well and were left on...
Woeful...
irritated beyond belief...

exactly, Barticus.

Rafa says: "Today the decision was to play Gerrard or to play him [Aquilani]," said the Liverpool manager. "I thought that Gerrard had the power and also the leverage that he can change games, he can go forward and support the striker in a different way. Also, the game was very physical, the ball was always in the air, too many challenges and so we preferred to continue with the players we had because we were defending well and on the counter-attack we were a threat."

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2010, 03:39:11 PM »
Three attacking players remain on the bench in a game we needed to win.

Draws killed our title challenge last season and with the amount of defeats we've suffered draws are simply not enough to make up for the previous points dropped.

agreed, Tes.

draws killed our title dreams last season, Tes.

this season, draws will kill Rafa's tenure at Anfield.

centenaryjonny

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2010, 05:35:52 PM »

I do reckon we'll let a daft set piece in though.  So I'm going for 2-0 up, they score around 70 odd minutes, mad panic for the next 10, then we seal it on the break!  Mark my words!!!!

I did expect us to have at 3 shots though!!!!

Another classic performance for Mr 'Go-compare'!  From what I remember we had one actual shot (where the keeper had to move) and that was Rieras clip, chip, chop shot from outside the box with his back to goal.  Dont remember any others!  Joke!!

I'd say Kyriagkos was man of the match, then probably Masch. 
Insua made several mistakes,
Riera was a waste of time,
Maxi had about 3 touches of the ball, he looked bright early on, but then went missing
Carra was turned inside out a couple of times
Dirk was either in his own half, or facing the wrong way
Stevie drifted in and out, couldnt get his touch right
Lucas was his usual waste of space
And Skrtel went from one good tackle to looking like a pub player all night

Ngog did ok when he came on, at least he was facing the right way

No excuse for other attackers not being brought on, especially Aqua man to open them up a bit

Same old story, Rafa would rather not lose than try to win.