January 26, 2021, 11:28:04 AM

Author Topic: We've Turned a Corner!  (Read 5137 times)

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
We've Turned a Corner!
« on: January 27, 2010, 01:25:16 PM »
According to Gerrard. I agree with that and am looking forward to the rest of the season. Bizarrely, I think Kyriakos has come in and settled us down at the back and the rest will come with results and players returning.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: We've Turned a Corner!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 02:37:29 PM »
We do seem to have turned a corner, but are now heading back along the same route we have been on for the majority of the season - the road to nowhere.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 03:42:30 PM »
I think it was pure good fortune that Wolves didn't score.  The young Wolves winger Matt Jarvis, made a fool of Carragher several times, down the left flank.

One report says we had one shot on target all game.

Come May time, there are gonna be some hard questions to address.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 04:13:36 PM »
Yip, definitely in May hard questions need to be asked e.g. how come we've got so many friggin' injuries all the time.

& I'm not saying that the world is a perfect place, (we'd all have liked a win last night!) e.g. how does Maxi waltz into the first 11, where did Lucas disappear to in the second half, why can't Gerrard do the hand waving Istanbul thing away to Wolves, why does Skrtel look so anxious in possession and a few other annoyances......

However the pitch at Wolves was like something from eastern Europe (hence no Aquilani I presume), it's another clean sheet and this guy Kyriakos appears to be able to do something which I have failed to see all season (btw Hypia could do it with his eyes closed) HEAD THE BALL AWAY WHEN IT COMES IN THE BOX.

So I'm hoping that when the lads get back from injury we are going to crack on win the Europa cup and finish 4th in the league. At which point it would be the right time to have a serious look at things and make some decisions.

centenaryjonny

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 04:23:53 PM »
Is it me, or do we turn more corners than an Indy500 driver?

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 07:01:25 PM »
e.g. how come we've got so many friggin' injuries all the time.

Mark Hulse. BWM knows who I mean and why.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 07:10:31 PM »
We've turned a corner... and are now in a cul-de-sac of mediocrity!  :(
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 07:59:50 PM »
We've turned a corner... and are now in a cul-de-sac of mediocrity!  :(

But if it's got a 'sort after' post code maybe Hicks and Gillett will cash in.  :D

Irish_Mark

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 10:05:54 PM »
Villa drew tonight so we got away with THAT (kinda). Bolton and Everton coming up. A derby win could do us very good. Don't give up hope yet folks

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 10:18:54 PM »
Watching the pace of the game at OT tonight compared to the tripe we played last night showed me how far we have dropped off. We look pedantic always playing the ball to men stood still. Utd play it into space. Until we can change our style of play we won't see 4th or even 5th.

Bolton will be difficult and with Everton on a roll that will be even harder. Rafa has some serious thinking to do.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 10:24:57 PM »
Villa drew tonight so we got away with THAT (kinda).

Frustrating - yet again.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 11:01:25 PM »
I give out about him a bit but this is the captain of the football club speaking and based on what I've seen it feels right to me (for once this season!):

Steven Gerrard has spoken of his delight at being back in action - and insisted Liverpool have turned the corner in their battle to claim a top four place. The Liverpool skipper completed all 90 minutes of the Reds' goalless draw at Wolves on Tuesday night as Rafael Benitez's side moved into fifth place in the league table.

Although not the victory the Reds craved in the Midlands, Gerrard believes there were enough encouraging signs over the course of the match to suggest the team are heading in the right direction. "It was a frustrating and difficult game tonight," he said. "Wolves defended well and the pitch was difficult to string passes together on.

"We're happy with how we defended as a team and that's four or five games undefeated for us now. We're a more difficult team to beat at the moment. Earlier in the season we'd have lost this game 1-0 but we've turned the corner now. "We will keep fighting for this fourth place. We've a couple of home games to play now and if we can keep the momentum going and take maximum points then we'll edge into the top four.

"If we keep battling and keep defending as we have been then results will follow. "There are a lot of people in the dressing room who are hurt at seeing us lying in seventh and eighth position and you learn a lot from these situations when times are hard.

"We have looked at each other and we want to put it right. The most important thing for me over the last four games has been the character and the desire the players have shown. "As captain, that gives me major confidence as you know the good performances are around the corner if the solid base is there. Nobody is hiding and that's a big positive."

Gerrard, meanwhile, reported no reaction to the hamstring injury which has sidelined him for the past couple of weeks. "It's great to be back, but just disappointing we didn't win the match," he said. "It's good to be back in the group again and I'm just looking forward to the next game now.

"The physios said I'd be out for two or three weeks when I had the scan, but I have healed quickly and there were no problems with the hamstring tonight, so I'm really pleased."

centenaryjonny

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 12:58:41 PM »
Watching the pace of the game at OT tonight compared to the tripe we played last night showed me how far we have dropped off. We look pedantic always playing the ball to men stood still. Utd play it into space. Until we can change our style of play we won't see 4th or even 5th.

Bolton will be difficult and with Everton on a roll that will be even harder. Rafa has some serious thinking to do.

United go out to win EVERY game, we go out NOT TO LOSE, and thats the difference between a positive manager and a negative one.

They dont attack in ones, they go forward in 4s and 5s.

We are miles away from them, and in truth have been for years.  Last year was a one horse race for most of the season.  United spluttered at the start, there was all the stuff with Ronaldo, and then they went to Japan.  Chelsea had 2 new managers and were never really close enough. Yet our inability to break teams down meant United just overtook us when they came back.

It was a 'title race' for about 3 weeks.  Until we beat them at Old Toilet we were never in it, they nearly drew with villa and then lost to fulham.  That was it, that was our 'title race'!!!!

Since October we have been playing for 4th, why?

We are 15 points behind Chelsea now with what 15 ish games to go, so 45 points to play for, why arent we still 'playing for the title?' Ok it probably wont happen, but at least it gives the players more of a lift, than playing for 4th.  There is a negativity around the club and an acceptance that 'there or thereabouts will do!'

Can you imagine Taggart 'playing for 4th' in October?  Of course not, he plays for the title until its mathematically impossible.

Can you imagine Shankly 'playing for 4th?'

4th is a failure, its not even bronze!  Why are we treatig it as an achievement?

You cant win things with a negative attitude, and thats exactly what he has covered the club with

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 02:16:44 PM »
4th is a failure, its not even bronze!  Why are we treating it as an achievement?

Don't think anyone is apart from Rafa. 

After reaching the dizzy heights of last season, this season has been and is a catostrophic failure!

All IMO

It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 04:26:27 PM »
United go out to win EVERY game, we go out NOT TO LOSE, and thats the difference between a positive manager and a negative one.

You play negative football when you know you're inferior to the opposition to try and grab a point. There is a time and place to do it. But you should never play negative when you're one of the top four clubs in the country!  :(

Since October we have been playing for 4th, why?
I'm not sure I agree we've had that attitude since October but you do have to be realistic based on our form. 4th guarantee a chance of CL football which is why it's the minimum acceptable position but shouldn't be the target.

We are 15 points behind Chelsea now with what 15 ish games to go, so 45 points to play for, why arent we still 'playing for the title?'
Because you only think about the next game and try to win it. Everyone does that.

Can you imagine Taggart 'playing for 4th' in October?  Of course not, he plays for the title until its mathematically impossible.
No-one plays to win the title. You play to win the game. Nothing more, nothing less.

4th is a failure, its not even bronze!  Why are we treatig it as an achievement?
It will be until such time as it doesn't guarantee a chance of CL football.
Cheers,
Ray