October 20, 2017, 02:19:09 AM

Author Topic: Summer transfer window thread  (Read 62236 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Summer transfer window thread
« on: February 03, 2010, 11:42:41 AM »
Liverpool FC agree Serbian striker Milan Jovanovic summer move

Feb 3 2010 by Ian Doyle, Liverpool Daily Post

RAFAEL BENITEZ’S summer squad rebuilding began in earnest yesterday when Milan Jovanovic sealed a move to Liverpool.

The Serbia international has signed a pre-contract agreement that will see him arrive from Belgian club Standard Liege at the end of the season.

Jovanovic’s consistently impressive form had attracted a clutch of potential suitors from across Europe, including Italian giants AC Milan.

He was reported to be stalling over a move to Liverpool until assurances were made over the long-term future of Benitez.

But the 29-year-old has now negotiated a three-year deal at Anfield that commits him to the club until at least 2013.

Jovanovic boasts a record of a goal almost every other game during his spell at Standard Liege, for whom he appeared against both Liverpool and Everton in European competition last season.

A regular for Serbia, he is expected to play a key role for his country in this summer’s World Cup finals in South Africa.

And Jovanovic will have endeared himself to Liverpool supporters with his claims a year ago of having rejected a move to neighbours Everton by saying: “Everton aren’t a big club. That club I have turned down already.”

Benitez has been keen to bolster his attacking resources given the ongoing fitness concerns of Fernando Torres and last month’s departure of Andriy Voronin.

The Liverpool manager also remains interested in Marouane Chamakh, Bordeaux’s highly-rated striker who is also available on a free transfer in June.

Jovanovic’s imminent arrival is a sign of Benitez planning for life at Anfield beyond the end of the season, despite continued interest from Juventus.

But Jamie Carragher believes such rumours are nothing new, and is confident Liverpool’s players can ignore outside influences ahead of Saturday’s visit of Everton for the Merseyside derby.

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2010/02/03/liverpool-fc-agree-serbian-striker-milan-jovanovic-summer-move-92534-25749997/2/

Watch out for him at this Summer's World Cup as Serbia are there.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: Summer transfer window thread
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 02:59:23 PM »
His grandkids apparently persuaded him to go to Liverpool.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Dermac50

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 01:37:47 AM »
Glad to see Rafa will be getting another striker in the summer. Don't know much about him put he'll be welcome at Anfield. Could the Yanks finally be freeing up some funds and really investing in the team?
I won't hold my breath.

Offline Redman

• Settling in
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 07:59:28 AM »
I thought I read just after the New Year that Chamakh (sp) had signed a pre-contract agreement? or did that fall thru?

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.”

Nikola Tesla

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 11:49:47 AM »
Jovanovic has signed nothing

By Francisco Acedo   Last updated: 4th February 2010

The agent of Milan Jovanovic claims his client is not on the verge of signing a pre-contract agreement with Liverpool.

Reports earlier in the week had suggested that the Serbian playmaker was close to committing his future to the Reds and was expected to form part of Rafa Benitez's squad in 2010/11.

However, it has now emerged that such a deal has not been put in place, with the Standard Liege forward yet to decide where his next move will take him.

Jovanovic has plenty of avenues to explore, with numerous clubs monitoring his situation.

Liverpool had hoped to beat the rush for his signature by reaching an agreement in January, but could be about to see those efforts come to nothing.

"There are many possibilities," Jovanovic's agent Zoran Stojadinovic told Superdeporte.

"The situation will be resolved soon, but he has not signed for any club as yet."

Options
It is believed that Spanish giants Valencia have edged ahead in the race to land Jovanovic, with Stojadinovic admitting that discussions with the Primera Liga outfit are 'very advanced'.

However, there are plenty of other sides still in the frame and nothing has been ruled out as yet.

"There is plenty of interest from Spain," added Stojadinovic.

"But there are also a number of clubs from across Europe that remain keen."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5917446,00.html

::)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 11:44:21 PM »
Another one get's away:

Rafa concedes Chamakh defeat

By Ben Collins   Last updated: 9th February 2010

Rafael Benitez believes Liverpool's chances of signing Bordeaux forward Marouane Chamakh in the summer are now dead.

The 26-year-old is available on a free transfer as his contract with the French champions expires at the end of the season.

Benitez had hoped to lure the Morocco international to Anfield and only last month the Reds appeared to be leading the race for his signature.

But Chamakh has since expressed an interest in joining their Premier League rivals Arsenal while reportedly hitting out at Liverpool for being "fussy" over contract negotiations.

Benitez has now conceded defeat in his bid to secure Chamakh's services and is angry that talks broke down.

"I think that we will not sign him - but I will not say [any more]," said the Liverpool boss.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_5928428,00.html

::)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 08:53:04 PM »
Kjaer courts Liverpool move

Last updated: 3rd March 2010

Palermo want to keep hold of star defender Simon Kjaer, despite the player admitting he would like to leave the club at the end of the season.

Kjaer has conceded he wants a move to one of the bigger clubs in European football - highlighting Premier League giants Liverpool as his preferred choice.

The 20-year-old - who joined Palermo just over two years ago - says he is seeking a new challenge in his career, but insisted any switch would have to be to an 'attractive club'.

The central defender still has over two-and-a-half years left on his current deal at the Stadio Renzo Barbera, however the Dane is eager to finalise a transfer before he turns his attention to World Cup duties with his national side.

Kjaer said: "I will take a step towards the dream or I will stay in Palermo. I would prefer to have it sorted out before the World Cup. I am ready for a new challenge, but is has to be an attractive club.

"(The) Premier League is the best league in the world and then there is Barcelona and Real Madrid in Spain.

"England and the physical playing style would probably suit me better. In case the right offers come, it would be exciting to form a partnership with (Daniel) Agger (at Liverpool)."

Officials at the club are not as keen to let their prize stopper exit, though, with Palermo president Maurizio Zamparini saying he does not want coach Delio Rossi to lose key players in the close-season.

Palermo currently sit fourth in Serie A and are well positioned to secure a UEFA Champions League berth, a feat which Zamparini believes could persuade the likes of Kjaer to remain in Italy.

He said: "I hope that all can remain in Palermo and maybe if we go into the Champions League, (the) boys are more encouraged to stay.

"I want (Edinson) Cavani, Javier Pastore and Kjaer to remain here. Kjaer is much too an important player for us - I'd buy him again just to not make him go away."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6000906,00.html

If this were to happen it would definately be a step in the right direction. However...............

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 05:04:27 PM »
Rami up to speed on marking Torres

Published: Monday 15 March 2010, 12.58CET

LOSC Lille Métropole defender Adil Rami is relishing the challenge of trying to keep Fernando Torres quiet for the second time in eight days as the Ligue 1 outfit travel to Liverpool FC looking to book their place in the UEFA Europa League quarter-finals.

Rami had been hoping to face the Spanish international three times this month after receiving a call-up to the France squad for the friendly against the UEFA EURO 2008 winners, yet the 24-year-old had to settle for a watching brief in Paris on 3 March. Eight days later the uncapped centre-back showed Les Bleus coach Raymond Domenech he is capable of competing with the best with a commanding display in Les Dogues' 1-0 first-leg victory against Liverpool.

Torres proved a handful throughout, and was unlucky not to score with a first-half header that drew a superb save from Mickaël Landreau. Yet Rami was delighted to have helped restrict the English club to only a handful of chances. "We're playing against one of the best teams in Europe and, even if they aren't in brilliant form, they still have some of the best players in the world," he told UEFA.com. "It's really nice to have a chance to measure yourself against the best and see what level you're at. Overall, we kept our focus well."

Of his own duel with Torres, Rami said he was relieved to have denied the 25-year-old space for much of the contest. "You have to be so careful with him," the Corsican-born centre-back explained. "He's good in the air, he's strong and he imposes himself. Above all, you can't let him turn because when he does he runs at 2,000 kilometres an hour! But I did pretty well. Apart from one moment in the first half when I tried to take the ball past him, I managed to keep my concentration."

Rudi Garcia's charges will now look to draw inspiration from another French team, Olympique Lyonnais, who won the home leg of their UEFA Champions League tie against Real Madrid CF 1-0 before progressing to the last eight. Rami believes they are capable of emulating that feat. "We're holding all the cards. But at the same time, we should keep our feet on the ground because if we can win at home then so can they. It'll be a true battle and we'll need to give it our all. But even if we concede three at Anfield and go out, I'm sure we'll have done our best."

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/matches/season=2010/round=2000039/match=2000952/prematch/focus/index.html

We were linked with him a few weeks back IIRC and it'll be interesting to see how he deals with Torres again on Thursday.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 10:24:30 AM »
Clearly Benitez is puzzled by the situation but one thing he is sure on is Albert Riera’s standing in the squad; though the winger tried to broker peace with Liverpool on Thursday, his attempts of reconciliation will be futile.

Benitez, whose side face Birmingham City tomorrow, is still furious that Riera did two radio interviews before Liverpool faced Lille in the Europa League and called the club a “sinking ship”.

Riera’s loan move to Spartak Moscow collapsed after he asked the Russian club to double his wages but there is unlikely to be any way back for him at Anfield, even though he feels there can be.

“We still have some time until the end of the Russian transfer window so we will see what happens,” said Benitez.

“I didn’t see his latest comments but for me, on the day before a massive game when he was talking this way was disappointing. It was especially so when he was saying things that weren’t true, so I was really surprised.

“I was really disappointed with his timing and the comments themselves. He also said he wants to play, that’s why he had to go, but our fans are not stupid and they will know what’s going on. We’ll see what happens now.”

The Reds boss, meanwhile, has brushed aside fears that an uneven pitch at St Andrew’s tomorrow will stymie Liverpool’s hopes of pushing for the top four and wants to see another encouraging performance.

“It’s always difficult when the pitch isn’t good enough, so we will have to see,” said Benitez.

“After a couple of days rest we will check the players and see how they are.

“If we have to rest someone we will see because we want to keep the performance at the same level. But at this moment I don’t see anyone as a risk. The pitch will be the same for both sides, but we will have to show character too.”

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport-news/liverpool-fc/2010/04/03/rafa-benitez-has-no-idea-when-liverpool-fc-s-alberto-aquilani-will-play-again-55578-26166396/

Let's hope this blert is the first one out of the window (preferably a fifth floor one) come the Summer.

We really need to reassess both the physical and mental criteria we are using when looking at potential signings. No more Babbels, Rieras, Degens and Aquilanis. We can't afford anymore mistakes in this area as it's having an equally large impact on the quality of the squad as the funding situation is.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 05:25:58 PM »
Standard Liege forward Milan Jovanovic has insisted his summer move to Liverpool is still going ahead despite suggestions of a problem.

The 28-year-old Serbia international agreed terms with the Reds in January and is set to move on a free transfer at the end of the season. And despite reports of a hitch, Jovanovic is confident everything is still going to plan.

"For me, it's sorted. The only thing is that my work permit is not yet in order," he said.

"But I have until June to get it. I'm at ease. Next season I will play at Liverpool."
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 08:15:53 PM »
Standard Liege forward Milan Jovanovic has insisted his summer move to Liverpool is still going ahead despite suggestions of a problem.

The 28-year-old Serbia international agreed terms with the Reds in January and is set to move on a free transfer at the end of the season. And despite reports of a hitch, Jovanovic is confident everything is still going to plan.

"For me, it's sorted. The only thing is that my work permit is not yet in order," he said.

"But I have until June to get it. I'm at ease. Next season I will play at Liverpool."

Let's hope his work permit situation doesn't turn into a saga as others have done previously.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 02:36:51 PM »
Kolarov flattered by Reds link

Last updated: 6th April 2010

Lazio defender Aleksandar Kolarov is honoured to be linked with the likes of Liverpool and Real Madrid, but insists that he has not received a 'concrete' approach.

The full-back is hot property in Serie A and reports in the winter transfer window suggested that Inter's Goran Pandev had pleaded with the 24-year-old to move to the Giuseppe Meazza.

Liverpool are rumoured to be in the market for a left-back following the unimpressive season of Emiliano Insua and Kolarov has been mentioned as a target, while Real are also thought to want to reinforce their defence.

The Serbia international is pleased to be attracting such interest, however, he maintains that he has not been in official contact with either of the European giants.

"I open the newspapers on a daily basis and find that different clubs are interested in me," Kolarov told lalaziosiamonoi.it.

"The interest from Real Madrid, Liverpool and Inter cannot but flatter me. However, up until now there has never been anything concrete."

Asked about the speculation regarding Pandev, Kolarov added: "No, it's absolutely not true that he called me to ask that I move to Inter.

"We talk simply as two friends. We don't just speak about football."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_6078761,00.html

At least he's not Italian.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010, 10:36:42 PM »
Liverpool in talks for Real Madrid striker Benzema

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/media-watch/liverpool-in-talks-for-real-madrid-striker-benzema

Liverpool are moving to trump Manchester United for troubled Real Madrid striker Karim Benzema.

The former Lyon star has failed to settle in Madrid this and been engulfed by troubles off the pitch in his native France.

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson is a big admirer of Benzema, but Reds rival Rafa Benitez has stolen a march on him by opening serious transfer talks with Real Madrid this week.

Benitez is taking interest in an imminent clear-out at the Bernabeu that will include Rafael Van der Vaart, Lassana Diarra, Benzema, Christoph Metzelder and Royston Drenthe.

Liverpool took the opportunity of travelling to Madrid to hold talks with Real officials about available players and Benitez is believed to have singled out Van der Vaart and Benzema as potential targets.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 10:46:00 PM »
Didnt realise Real are now accepting shirt buttons as payment for their players. Seems a bit far fetched given our financial situation and he'll probably cost around 25-30 million. I'd be EXTREMELY surprised if we signed anyone worth anything over 10 million.and that will be with players going out the door first.

However if there is a bit of truth in it it would definately be a step in the right direction. Also on the same website van der vaart has been linked...

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 10:48:56 PM »

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/media-watch/liverpool-tempted-by-move-for-van-der-vaart

Liverpool tempted by move for Van der Vaart

Liverpool are considering a summer move for Rafael van der Vaart, having been offered the chance to sign the Holland international by Real Madrid.

Club officials met in the Spanish capital before Liverpool's Europa League semi‑final against Atlético Madrid on Thursday, with Real taking the opportunity to try to offload several players deemed surplus to requirements by the club president, Florentino Perez. Liverpool were interested in Van der Vaart, who was offered despite forcing his way into Manuel Pellegrini's plans this season, in a deal that would see Real recoup much of the €13m they paid Hamburg in 2008.

Whether Rafael Benítez envisages a role for the 27-year-old midfielder in his plans is not clear and there are several issues for the club to address before pursuing a deal for the former Ajax favourite. Liverpool's interest, however, has been registered.