November 20, 2019, 06:09:05 AM

Author Topic: Summer transfer window thread  (Read 101701 times)

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Summer transfer window thread
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2010, 11:25:25 PM »
I would be happy with Van Der Vaart but Benzema would be the scoop of the summer.

The thoughts of Benzema and Torres leading the line is appealing. But as you say Kopite we cant afford him. Another reason I dont believe Benzema will end up at Anfield is because Rafa would then have to change his tactics to play 2 up front and hes not going to do that.

I wouldnt pay major money for VDV but if we could snare him for 8-10 million he would be worth it.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2010, 12:37:36 AM »
I would be happy with Van Der Vaart but Benzema would be the scoop of the summer.

The thoughts of Benzema and Torres leading the line is appealing. But as you say Kopite we cant afford him. Another reason I dont believe Benzema will end up at Anfield is because Rafa would then have to change his tactics to play 2 up front and hes not going to do that.

I wouldnt pay major money for VDV but if we could snare him for 8-10 million he would be worth it.

The €13M for VDV seems a bit steep but if we could net him for around half that, in fact for anything less than we get for Benny from the Russians (as that rumour just refuses to die) then it could be a smart piece of business.

I really don't know what to make of Benzema. Is he the real deal (no pun intended) or not? I'm not sure if we should be looking for a partner for Torres but rather cover for him. I'd rather have Darren Bent as cover. He does the lone striker thing really well, excellent scoring record no matter who he's played for, the size of the club and the regularity with which he's play (which is crucial in this role) and is English, which will help when all the quotas come in.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2010, 01:11:13 AM »
A certain publication has a piece, with quotes from Torres, where he appears to be blaming his injury problems on the physicality of the Premier League and questioning his long term future in it.

Whether there's anything in it or not remains to be seen, but there are two other factors worth taking into consideration. The first is that with the Barcelona presidental elections looming, Torres is just the sort of player any candidate would build his campaign around, especially with the added bonus of Torres being Spanish, with the UEFA quotas on the horizon and if he really has doubts about the Premier League's long term effect on his health it could just be the perfect way out for him. Secondly linked to that is the fact that Mancini wants Ibrahimovich at City after working with him at Inter, especially with rumours that Adebayor is looking for a way out after problems with some of his team mates and Mancini. Ibrahimovich is just the sort to go for it especially if Sheik Moneybags decides to make him this Summer's headline signing.

I hope Hicks' statement about it being a big Summer doesn't come true for all the wrong reasons.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2010, 09:53:06 AM »
The €13M for VDV seems a bit steep but if we could net him for around half that, in fact for anything less than we get for Benny from the Russians (as that rumour just refuses to die) then it could be a smart piece of business.

I really don't know what to make of Benzema. Is he the real deal (no pun intended) or not? I'm not sure if we should be looking for a partner for Torres but rather cover for him. I'd rather have Darren Bent as cover. He does the lone striker thing really well, excellent scoring record no matter who he's played for, the size of the club and the regularity with which he's play (which is crucial in this role) and is English, which will help when all the quotas come in.

7 or 8 million would be good business for VDV but as you say no more. Whether he would be replacing Benni I'm not so sure, I get the impression Benni would love to stay but isn't necessarily Rafas first choice. He like some other of our players will most likely see how things develop before deciding his next step. I wouldnt be surprised if Masch, Gerrard, Torres and Babel are all weighing up their futures.

Benzema will be a class act if he leaves Real. The only thing is I think Untied will sign him. In relation to Bent agreed he has done really well wherever he has gone, probably deserves a crack at a top club. I think the fact he has scored more than Tevez yet Tevez gets a player of the year nomination and Bent doesnt is ridiculous. Bent would cost big bucks though, I assume Sunderland would be looking in the region of 20 plus million and he would never play second fiddle to Torres and with his goal record why should we expect him to really.

wittsy

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2010, 12:24:02 PM »
I find it hard to think where VDV would fit in unless one of our "big names" is offloaded. I think he would play well behind the striker but would he shift Gerrard back ?? and then what about Aguilani ?? I could also see Lucas being pushed down the pecking order to try and fit all these players in so what would he do ?? Maybe Benni would leave but he is a more flexible player than VDV in my eyes and can play anywhere around a striker.. could he use him to move Babel out the door ??

Thing is.... is it even worth thinking about at this time of year?? He'll probably end up in Germany or maybe Italy where he's almost definately going to get a regular start.. Rumours in the summer are hardly reliable never mind this early in the year..

Jas

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2010, 05:36:34 PM »
A certain publication has a piece, with quotes from Torres, where he appears to be blaming his injury problems on the physicality of the Premier League and questioning his long term future in it.

Whether there's anything in it or not remains to be seen, but there are two other factors worth taking into consideration. The first is that with the Barcelona presidental elections looming, Torres is just the sort of player any candidate would build his campaign around, especially with the added bonus of Torres being Spanish, with the UEFA quotas on the horizon and if he really has doubts about the Premier League's long term effect on his health it could just be the perfect way out for him. Secondly linked to that is the fact that Mancini wants Ibrahimovich at City after working with him at Inter, especially with rumours that Adebayor is looking for a way out after problems with some of his team mates and Mancini. Ibrahimovich is just the sort to go for it especially if Sheik Moneybags decides to make him this Summer's headline signing.

I hope Hicks' statement about it being a big Summer doesn't come true for all the wrong reasons.

This is what I was referrring to:

Torres - PL could finish me

Last updated: 25th April 2010

Fernando Torres is concerned his health is at risk by playing for Liverpool in the Premier League and fears he could be injured for life if he stays in England.

All the recent speculation has seen the Reds' star striker being linked with £60million move to Manchester City in the summer.

But the former Atletico Madrid marksman has hinted he will leave the British Isles if he does say goodbye to Anfield.

"The Premier League is such a tough competition and I have always admired this championship and the players who are here," Torres, whose season has been scuppered by a knee injury which could see him miss the start of the World Cup with Spain, told The News Of The World.

"This is my third season and I'm still amazed to see (Steven) Gerrard, (Wayne) Rooney and (Frank) Lampard, players who have been here a long time, still playing at such a high level and with such impressive rhythm because the English league really wears down a player.

"I just can't imagine what state I'll be in within five or six years if I continue to play here - it could easily give me problems when I stop playing. The physical level is superior to all other countries."

Ruthless
Torres has admitted that he would not have come to England had it not been for Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez, who has the right managerial approach for the 26-year-old to improve his game.

"If I score twice in a game I want to hear that I played badly to help me do even better next time," he added.

"Rafa is ruthless and sometimes it is tiring but he knows the right way to deal with me.

"I have put in a lot of effort but you always need someone who brings the best out in you, someone who is very demanding.

"If Rafa had not been here I would never have come. He has taught me a lot and he has helped me go beyond my limits and to be the player I am today."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6114773,00.html

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2010, 06:46:51 PM »

In relation to Bent agreed he has done really well wherever he has gone, probably deserves a crack at a top club. I think the fact he has scored more than Tevez yet Tevez gets a player of the year nomination and Bent doesnt is ridiculous. Bent would cost big bucks though, I assume Sunderland would be looking in the region of 20 plus million and he would never play second fiddle to Torres and with his goal record why should we expect him to really.

We probably missed the boat last Summer with Bent when he left Spurs. Still it would be great to see us linked just to watch Fathead's head explode.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2010, 11:30:49 PM »
Sorry lads but bent isnt good enough to wear the red shirt.He's a good player in crap teams but a shed player in a decent team. He's found his level.let him stay there

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2010, 12:12:41 AM »
Sorry lads but bent isnt good enough to wear the red shirt.He's a good player in crap teams but a s*** player in a decent team. He's found his level.let him stay there

Look at his scoring record especially at Spurs where he was in and out of the team (same as he would be here). There aren't many strikers who can come in and hit the ground running. He's not good enough to be first choice but as a player who can come in and be relied upon to get goals when Torres isn't available, he fits the bill.

Who else is there with that sort of scoring record who wouldn't need three or four games to find his rhythm before scoring? Unless we could find a good youngster who would be prepared to bide his time but could get the goals and play the lone striker role with as much success. I can't think of anyone English/home grown and if we're not careful we'll have problems when UEFA's and the Premier League's quota systems start.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 12:17:20 AM by Tes »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2010, 12:26:26 AM »
Reds line-up Shelvey deal

Last updated: 25th April 2010

Liverpool are set to win the race to sign Charlton starlet Jonjo Shelvey, skysports.com understands.

The 18-year-old midfielder has long been touted as one of the finest young prospects in England.

He has previously turned down Chelsea's overtures, whilst Tottenham, Arsenal and West Ham are also known to have been keen on securing his services.

However, skysports.com now understands that Liverpool have indeed won the battle for his services.

Despite the ongoing uncertainty at Anfield over boss Rafa Benitez and the club's owners, they have managed to seal a deal for Shelvey.

It is understood that the teenager will travel to Merseyside early next week to undergo a medical before completing a summer switch.

Shelvey will finish the season with Charlton, who he still hopes to guide back into the Championship.

The 18-year-old has long been touted as one of the finest young prospects in England.

He has previously turned down Chelsea's overtures, whilst Tottenham, Arsenal and West Ham are also known to have been keen on securing his services.

However, skysports.com now understands that Liverpool have indeed won the battle for his services.

Despite the ongoing uncertainty at Anfield, over boss Rafa Benitez and the club's owners, they look to have managed to seal a deal for Shelvey.

It is understood that the teenager will travel to Merseyside early next week to undergo a medical - before a summer switch.

Shelvey will finish the season with Charlton, who he still hopes to help back into the Championship.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6116529,00.html

Good to see us linked with players the likes of Chelsea and Arsenal are also looking at instead of the likes of Bolton and Everton that seem to be the sort of clubs linked with players we now seem to be scrapping for.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2010, 12:41:22 AM »
I find it hard to think where VDV would fit in unless one of our "big names" is offloaded. I think he would play well behind the striker but would he shift Gerrard back ?? and then what about Aguilani ??

Jas

I would like to see Gerrard moved back from next season, giving us a bit more creativity and a better range of passing from deeper, whilst still allowing him to choose his moments to break forward and combine with Aquilani or Lucas who should play in advance of Gerrard and link with Torres. It might just prolong Gerrard's career whilst placing less of a physical demand on him as it did when Roy Evans moved Barnes back into a deep lying central midfield role.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2010, 05:53:59 AM »
darren bent didn't pull up any trees at ipswich.  But he subsequently had a good scoring record at charlton and now Sunderland.

When he had stepped up a grade, to Spurs, for two seasons (2007-2009), his scoring was minimal (8 goals from 36 appearances in 2007/2008 and 17 goals from 43 appearances in 2008/2009).

Maybe if he is available for minimal money, he would be worth a risk, as a second (or third) striker.  I dunno.  Rafa would pick up a lot of flak if he signed him tho.

Not that I expect Rafa to be around, come the summer.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2010, 11:18:16 AM »
darren bent didn't pull up any trees at ipswich.  But he subsequently had a good scoring record at charlton and now Sunderland.

When he had stepped up a grade, to Spurs, for two seasons (2007-2009), his scoring was minimal (8 goals from 36 appearances in 2007/2008 and 17 goals from 43 appearances in 2008/2009).

Maybe if he is available for minimal money, he would be worth a risk, as a second (or third) striker.  I dunno.  Rafa would pick up a lot of flak if he signed him tho.

Not that I expect Rafa to be around, come the summer.

The thing about Bent, especially at Spurs, is that he can come in/on and score at a decent rate without a multi-game settling in period. He can play as a lone striker, has pace and with one eye on the quotas, he's English.

We need cover (hopefully not a replacement) for Torres, who's probably a similar style player to Nando. Either we look at an older player nearer to the end of his career than the start, or we find a younger player who can make an impact when needed but isn't ready to perform consistently over a full season. But it's who? And with the quota system around the corner, the nationality is equally important. We need to balance this so that we don't have to juggle nationalities within the squad/team and maybe have to omit a first choice player in favour of another because of quota rules.
Maybe there's a case therefore to keep Babel (yeah, I know) and focus on developing him quickly as a striker, as he'd count as homegrown soon, I think.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2010, 11:39:59 AM »
And now for something completely different, er, bizarre:

Carlos Tevez to walk if Manchester City miss out on Champions League spot

By Joe Bernstein Last updated at 11:58 AM on 25th April 2010

Carlos Tevez is set to stun Manchester City fans by fighting for a summer move if the club fail to qualify for the Champions League.
Tevez has become increasingly disillusioned at life at Eastlands under manager Roberto Mancini, and his adviser Kia Joorabchian is believed to have contacted some of Europe's leading clubs as a contingency if City miss out on the top four.
City fans will be dismayed by the split between Tevez and Mancini, having taken the 26-year-old striker to their hearts following his arrival from Manchester United at the start of the campaign.

The Argentine has scored 28 goals this season and has been nominated for the PFA Player of the Year award, which will be announced tonight.

But he publicly questioned the sacking of Mark Hughes in a recent interview and openly disagreed with Mancini's decision to make the players train twice a day.

He also voiced his displeasure about City using his image in a provocative 'Welcome to Manchester' poster campaign.

Significantly, Joorabchian, an important figure in Tevez's life, has fallen out with the hierarchy at City following the departure of Hughes and will not be averse to finding Tevez a new club if instructed to do so.

Real Madrid and Inter Milan will be among the contenders to sign him, but there could also be a surprise move from Liverpool, even though their own Champions League hopes are slim.
Liverpool hope the fact that Tevez's friend and Argentina team-mate Javier Mascherano is at the club will boost their chances, although the player would have to kick up a real fuss at Eastlands before City allowed him to move to Anfield for a cut-price £18million.

Mascherano is in contract talks with Liverpool but negotiations have dragged on for weeks.

Manager Rafa Benitez admitted: 'We were very close, but I don't know if something has changed since the last time I spoke to him, which was a few days ago. I still expect him to sign.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1268590/Carlos-Tevez-walk-Manchester-City-miss-Champions-League-spot.html

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2010, 11:54:22 AM »
Kevin Kuranyi, 28, is available on a free from Schalke this Summer, any takers?

01-02 VfB Stuttgart      1 Goal,   5 Games     
02-03 VfB Stuttgart    15 Goals, 31 Games       4 Goals, 8 Games (UEFA Cup)   
03-04 VfB Stuttgart    11 Goals, 33 Games       3 Goals, 8 Games (Champions League)   
04-05 VfB Stuttgart    13 Goals, 29 Games       3 Goals, 5 Games (UEFA Cup)   
05-06 Schalke 04         9 Goals, 30 Games   
06-07 Schalke 04       15 Goals, 34 Games        2 Games (UEFA Cup)   
07-08 Schalke 04       15 Goals, 32 Games        3 Goals, 8 Games (Champions League)   
08-09 Schalke 04       13 Goals, 33 Games        2 + 5 Games (Champions League + UEFA Cup)   
09-10  Schalke 04      18 Goals, 31 Games   

Apparently, though I don't know if it's accurate, so is Louis Saha.

Likewise Christoph Metzelder, centre half, terrific in the air, but he has the turning circle of a synchronised fleet of aircraft carriers.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 12:08:27 PM by Tes »