November 13, 2019, 07:20:34 AM

Author Topic: Summer transfer window thread  (Read 100785 times)

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Summer transfer window thread
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2010, 02:51:20 PM »
And now for something completely different, er, bizarre:

Carlos Tevez to walk if Manchester City miss out on Champions League spot

By Joe Bernstein Last updated at 11:58 AM on 25th April 2010

Carlos Tevez is set to stun Manchester City fans by fighting for a summer move if the club fail to qualify for the Champions League.
Tevez has become increasingly disillusioned at life at Eastlands under manager Roberto Mancini, and his adviser Kia Joorabchian is believed to have contacted some of Europe's leading clubs as a contingency if City miss out on the top four.
City fans will be dismayed by the split between Tevez and Mancini, having taken the 26-year-old striker to their hearts following his arrival from Manchester United at the start of the campaign.

The Argentine has scored 28 goals this season and has been nominated for the PFA Player of the Year award, which will be announced tonight.

But he publicly questioned the sacking of Mark Hughes in a recent interview and openly disagreed with Mancini's decision to make the players train twice a day.

He also voiced his displeasure about City using his image in a provocative 'Welcome to Manchester' poster campaign.

Significantly, Joorabchian, an important figure in Tevez's life, has fallen out with the hierarchy at City following the departure of Hughes and will not be averse to finding Tevez a new club if instructed to do so.

Real Madrid and Inter Milan will be among the contenders to sign him, but there could also be a surprise move from Liverpool, even though their own Champions League hopes are slim.
Liverpool hope the fact that Tevez's friend and Argentina team-mate Javier Mascherano is at the club will boost their chances, although the player would have to kick up a real fuss at Eastlands before City allowed him to move to Anfield for a cut-price £18million.

Mascherano is in contract talks with Liverpool but negotiations have dragged on for weeks.

Manager Rafa Benitez admitted: 'We were very close, but I don't know if something has changed since the last time I spoke to him, which was a few days ago. I still expect him to sign.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1268590/Carlos-Tevez-walk-Manchester-City-miss-Champions-League-spot.html

Never going to happen unfortunately.

To be honest Id say there would be a better chance of Torres going to City.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2010, 02:58:34 PM »
Kuranyi didnt Sunderland try to sign him last summer. Nuff said although I think I would prefer to take him on the free than to pay 15 million Sunderland were looking for Kenwyne Jones.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2010, 03:47:56 PM »
Kuranyi didnt Sunderland try to sign him last summer. Nuff said although I think I would prefer to take him on the free than to pay 15 million Sunderland were looking for Kenwyne Jones.

Yes, I think the quoted offer was around £3.5M.

The problem is after the last two Summers with 2 £20M transfers having added nothing to the squad, we are in a position were we desperately need cover for Torres and with the World Cup in the Summer, a disturbed pre-season and now his doubts about the Premier League's effects on his health, I can see the need being even greater than it has been this season.

It wouldn't be so bad if we could blow any transfer fund accumulated just on this one purchase, but yet again the buttons are going to be spread thinly and we'll be rooting through the discount pile in Lidl.

Factor in the need for a first choice left back and we've got to prioritise how we spend the meagre scrappings we'll have on offer.

Maybe the plan is to use Jovanovic as cover. 192 club games with 102 goals and 9 goals in 23 appearances for Serbia.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2010, 06:42:42 PM »
The thing about Bent, especially at Spurs, is that he can come in/on and score at a decent rate without a multi-game settling in period. He can play as a lone striker, has pace and with one eye on the quotas, he's English.

We need cover (hopefully not a replacement) for Torres, who's probably a similar style player to Nando. Either we look at an older player nearer to the end of his career than the start, or we find a younger player who can make an impact when needed but isn't ready to perform consistently over a full season. But it's who? And with the quota system around the corner, the nationality is equally important. We need to balance this so that we don't have to juggle nationalities within the squad/team and maybe have to omit a first choice player in favour of another because of quota rules.
Maybe there's a case therefore to keep Babel (yeah, I know) and focus on developing him quickly as a striker, as he'd count as homegrown soon, I think.

it's true, Tes, that Bent would be a positive signing re the new homegrown rules.

for me, it all depends on the money/risk factor.  If we can get him for peanuts, then it may be worth the risk.  But I'm just not sure that he has what it takes at the highest level (a top 4 club).  But at the right money (or on a free), he may be worth a go.

Someone (maybe you) mentions Louis Saha earlier in the thread.  If Saha was a few years younger, and I was convinced about his injuries/fitness, then he would be my number one target.  He would be a great standby striker.  But his age is against him.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2010, 06:46:58 PM »
oh and I meant to add that Babel is one that I would sell.

maybe he could be transformed in another role (striker).

but his career to date (save for an interesting start) has been a major disappointment.

he can't hold the ball up.....he rarely beats a man......he takes way too many touches.....he can't deliver a decent cross often enough...........too often he gifts possession to the opposition......too often he shows no interest in winning it back again (retrieving HIS mistake).

Very disappointed with his progress and efforts to date.

I think we need to move on.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2010, 09:48:24 PM »
The problem is our need is severe and our options are so limited where cover for Torres is concerned. I think we missed the boat on Bent last Summer when he went to Sunderland for much less than Spurs had paid for him.

I think we'll end up with an older striker due to the nature of the job description. He won't ever be first choice but will need to hit the net running whenever called upon due the importance of Torres' goalscoring to us. Of course this need could be reduced if we could share the goals around the whole team and reduce our reliance on Nando, starting with providing a goal threat from centre half at set pieces which we really don't have and likewise our central midfield are frugal in the goal scoring department. On that point I think Maxi, once he's acclimatised a bit more will prove to be a real asset and redress the balance in the free transfer success stakes.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2010, 02:46:22 PM »
SHELVEY SET FOR ANFIELD MOVE

Tuesday April 27,2010

Charlton midfielder Jonjo Shelvey was undergoing a medical at Liverpool on Tuesday after the two teams agreed a fee for a transfer.

The Addicks confirmed on their website the clubs had agreed an initial fee of £1.7million for the 18-year-old, who travelled to Merseyside on Tuesday for talks and a medical.

A statement on Charlton's official website said: "As part of the potential transfer, the two clubs are also in talks to develop a strategic partnership involving the development of players in both directions."

The results of the medical will be known on Wednesday.

Shelvey holds the record as Charlton's youngest ever player, having made his debut in April 2008 at the age of 16 years and 59 days.

The England youth international has scored eight goals in 48 games for the Addicks.

Charlton chairman Richard Murray revealed earlier on Tuesday that there had been interest in the player but claimed they were "some way off doing a deal".

Big-money moves are likely to be at a premium at Anfield this summer with uncertainty surrounding the future of both the club's owners and manager Rafa Benitez, who has been linked with a move to Juventus.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/171867/Shelvey-set-for-Anfield-move

Also from the Express:

CHELSEA WANT PAUL INCE'S SON THOMAS TO SHAPE FUTURE

Wednesday April 28,2010  By Tony Banks

CHELSEA want to poach Paul Ince’s teenage son Thomas from Liverpool as part of their drive for youth this summer.

Talented winger Thomas, 18, has been at Liverpool’s academy since he was 16 and is one of their most highly rated prospects. He is expected to make it into the first-team soon, at the club where his father spent two years.

Thomas has a year left on his Anfield contract and Chelsea scouts, under orders to bring bright young talent to Stamford Bridge, have watched him regularly. The club are trying to put together a deal to persuade Ince to come to London for the start of next season, but Liverpool are desperate to hang on to him.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/171909/Chelsea-want-Paul-Ince-s-son-Thomas-to-shape-future

Offline Redman

• Settling in
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2010, 07:01:11 AM »
Why are we nurturing young talent and then seeing the likes of Chelski come in and prise them away? Get your finger out Liverpool and hang on to these young lads for the time being. Although maybe the way the youngsters never seem to get a game under Rafa could well swing it for them to leave anyway.
“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.”

Nikola Tesla

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2010, 01:34:09 AM »
Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez wants overhaul at Anfield

Page last updated at 23:12 GMT, Thursday, 29 April 2010 00:12 UK

Rafael Benitez admitted it could take five new signings to turn Liverpool into trophy challengers once more.

The Reds lost to Atletico Madrid on away goals in the Europa League semi-finals to compound a miserable season, which they will finish empty-handed.

"Someone said we needed four or five players. I would more or less agree with that. That is what we have to do," said Liverpool boss Benitez.

"I do not know whether I will have any funds. We will find out in the summer."

Liverpool do still have the fourth Champions League place to aim for, but even that is a forlorn hope.

They would require victory over title favourites Chelsea in their penultimate game of the season on Sunday to stand any chance, while hoping other results go their way.

Benitez acknowledged there is plenty of work ahead if Liverpool are to regain their former status.

"Liverpool is a massive club," said the Spaniard after his side beat Atletico 2-1 at Anfield but drew 2-2 on aggregate to bow out on away goals.

"There has been a change in the last two or three years. We have had to balance the books and manage in this way."

However, whether he is stay at Anfield to undertake the rebuilding job remains to be seen.

Juventus are reported to be keen on acquiring the services of Benitez, who saw his hopes of leading Liverpool to a third European final under his charge collapse after they had found themselves in such a promising position.

The 50-year-old was cagey about his future, refusing to look any further ahead than the two games his side have left.

"The future is Chelsea. And then Hull," he said.

The exit was a microcosm of Liverpool's season - plenty of effort and some finesse in the first half, Alberto Aquilani providing the latter with a superb finish to put the hosts in front.

Although there were no more goals in normal time, Yossi Benayoun struck at the start of the additional 30 minutes and seemed to have set up an all-English final with Fulham in Hamburg on 12 May.

But former Manchester United striker Diego Forlan wrecked those dreams, leaving Benitez to pick his players up once more, after he ran out of experience to make a difference from the bench.

"Everything seems to have been against the players this season," he said. "It is clear that we had some problems.

"We had too many injuries and were lacking forward options. But the players worked so hard tonight and I am very proud of them.

"Now we have to concentrate and do our best in the next two games."

For Atletico it was a glorious night, allowing them to revel in the joy of becoming the only Spanish side to reach a European final this season.

"No one would have expected this," said coach Quique Sanchez Flores. "We are happy to represent our country and be Spain's only team in a European final.

"It was an amazing night. You can't come to Anfield without knowing you are going to suffer some difficult moments but we were the stronger side in extra-time and deserved to go through."

Now they must deny Fulham a magical end to one of the most incredible seasons in the west London club's history, and Sanchez Flores is wary.

"Never trust any team that goes all the way to the final," he added. "Any English team will be very competitive and Fulham are no exception."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/8652883.stm

So the revolving door is set to revolve ever faster.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2010, 02:03:04 PM »
rafa is off to juve...and his time has come...
no more negativity...no more taking off the goalscorers..and creative players to replace them with sh***...

enough now....i'll wake up from this nightmare soon...

« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 02:08:00 PM by barticus »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2010, 03:05:57 PM »
rafa is off to juve...and his time has come...
no more negativity...no more taking off the goalscorers..and creative players to replace them with sh***...

enough now....i'll wake up from this nightmare soon...

Barticus, do you trust the toxic twosome or Purslow, with their lack of accredited football knowledge, to get the appointment of Rafa's replacement right?
That is my biggest worry should Rafa leave. I can't see him being sacked as they won't be able to afford the rumoured £16M payoff.

Out of interest Barticus, who would your choice be?

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2010, 07:47:05 PM »
Barticus, do you trust the toxic twosome or Purslow, with their lack of accredited football knowledge, to get the appointment of Rafa's replacement right?
That is my biggest worry should Rafa leave. I can't see him being sacked as they won't be able to afford the rumoured £16M payoff.

Out of interest Barticus, who would your choice be?

I absolutely do not trust the yankee carpetbaggers or purslow...never will...
Rafa is on a 4 year contract...getting 16 mil for his time...any mention of Juve should be shot down in an instant...
I seriously tire of the just plain BIZARRE choices he's made this season...
Last night....to put on Pacheco who's 18 and inexperienced...when he could have gained that experience all season against the supposed 'lesser' teams who beat us anyway...
to not play NGOG who he's been backing all season and then leave him on the bench...and plays EL ZHAR...
to put on DEGEN and not the Greek god..
To take off Benayoun when we're 2-0 up and he's on fire....

just because scum run the club and use it for their own gain does not mean i can ignore the choices Rafa makes...
I love Rafa but there comes a time in life when things come to a natural end...he's far too defensive and takes delight when we don't lose..but we have done anyway this season...

i think he lost the dressing room as far back as november...
i think rafa sees this hence the juve talk and whispers...
if by some miracle a saudi despot buys our club then maybe he'll stay...maybe rafa will then be able to play the football he wants played...with multiple options and attacking formations..,
i pray to ODIN, SHIVA and YHWH and anyone else who listens that this will happen...(we can set up a god for LFC only but thats magick and i digress)

last month i was on the road to perdition...realising that much of Rafa's woes were down to the yankee scum...he would have had bellamy and crouch...maybe even alonso...and all would be good in the world..

but he still makes those bizarre decisions...
Torres against Birmingham..
Benayoun off and no kyriakos on FFS against athletico madrid...
was aquilani injured?? why did he come off?? he was running the midfield...

So maybe it's just time...

as for the 16 mil on rafa's contract...that will prolly go into interest repayment...

and possible managers..

for a side low on morale, would be O'neill

low on money would be Hodgson...

huge amount of money...MOURINHO

but my choice for working wonders...

Hiddink

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2010, 08:22:00 PM »
I absolutely do not trust the yankee carpetbaggers or purslow...never will...
Rafa is on a 4 year contract...getting 16 mil for his time...any mention of Juve should be shot down in an instant...
I seriously tire of the just plain BIZARRE choices he's made this season...
Last night....to put on Pacheco who's 18 and inexperienced...when he could have gained that experience all season against the supposed 'lesser' teams who beat us anyway...
to not play NGOG who he's been backing all season and then leave him on the bench...and plays EL ZHAR...
to put on DEGEN and not the Greek god..
To take off Benayoun when we're 2-0 up and he's on fire....

just because scum run the club and use it for their own gain does not mean i can ignore the choices Rafa makes...
I love Rafa but there comes a time in life when things come to a natural end...he's far too defensive and takes delight when we don't lose..but we have done anyway this season...

i think he lost the dressing room as far back as november...
i think rafa sees this hence the juve talk and whispers...
if by some miracle a saudi despot buys our club then maybe he'll stay...maybe rafa will then be able to play the football he wants played...with multiple options and attacking formations..,
i pray to ODIN, SHIVA and YHWH and anyone else who listens that this will happen...(we can set up a god for LFC only but thats magick and i digress)

last month i was on the road to perdition...realising that much of Rafa's woes were down to the yankee scum...he would have had bellamy and crouch...maybe even alonso...and all would be good in the world..

but he still makes those bizarre decisions...
Torres against Birmingham..
Benayoun off and no kyriakos on FFS against athletico madrid...
was aquilani injured?? why did he come off?? he was running the midfield...

So maybe it's just time...

as for the 16 mil on rafa's contract...that will prolly go into interest repayment...

and possible managers..

for a side low on morale, would be O'neill

low on money would be Hodgson...

huge amount of money...MOURINHO

but my choice for working wonders...

Hiddink

Cheers Barticus. I think we all share same frustrations.

I just hope the fire won't be hotter than the frying pan. I just have no faith, maybe 'trust' was the wrong word, in Hicks', Gillett's or Purslow's ability to be able to both identify and attract a suitable replacement.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2010, 02:05:45 AM »
the yankees are the problem, barticus......not rafa.

he's been working miracles these past 5 years.....this season, he couldn't quite manage it.

ok, it's been 4 years without a trophy.......but wenger's in the same boat.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2010, 02:30:45 AM »
Cheers Barticus. I think we all share same frustrations.

I just hope the fire won't be hotter than the frying pan. I just have no faith, maybe 'trust' was the wrong word, in Hicks', Gillett's or Purslow's ability to be able to both identify and attract a suitable replacement.
the yankees are the problem, barticus......not rafa.

he's been working miracles these past 5 years.....this season, he couldn't quite manage it.

ok, it's been 4 years without a trophy.......but wenger's in the same boat.

I think its now a case of be careful what you wish for. Rafa going wont solve our immediate problems of who the hell is going to buy the club.

And like you guys say I wouldnt trust H&G to pick a replacement for Rafa.

As Kopite said earlier I think we may just lose Gerrard and torres now. When Athletico won last night I looked at Torres and thought he left them to win trophies with Liverpool and 2 seasons on ironically Athletico are now closer to a major trophy than hes ever been with us. I have a feeling he feels his time is up. It doesnt help being a world cup year either, players been tapped up while with their countries at the World Cup.

Plus I'm not sure that if Rafa goes Gerrard will want to be hearing about 5 year plans from Rafas replacement. Its just a pity Rafa wasnt given the resources to finish what he started