November 26, 2020, 12:40:15 AM

Author Topic: Summer transfer window thread  (Read 141773 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Summer transfer window thread
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2010, 02:42:47 AM »
Right now, it feels like the partial end of an era, but that era can't end until the toxics are gone and a decent ownership structure put in place. Rafa, indeed Gerrard and Torres may also be victims of it. I feel sorry for Gerrard in a way that his time at the club has been spent under the axises of Moores/Parry/Houllier, Moores/Parry/Rafa and the toxics/Rafa.
Likewise Carra. Both lads deserve to be part of a history akin to the 70s and 80s.

As a club we need to simply consolidate. Halt the slide down the league, attempt to stabilise things, focus solely on the league and try and get through hopefully what will prove to be maybe one more season of upheaval as intact as possible.

Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2010, 10:40:18 AM »
Yossi Benayoun can't guarantee he'll be a Liverpool player next season

By Sportsmail Reporter Last updated at 10:23 AM on 3rd May 2010

Liverpool midfielder Yossi Benayoun has added to the growing uncertainty at the club by admitting he does not know if he has a future at Anfield.   

Speculation has long linked manager Rafa Benitez with Juventus and the Reds boss refused to clarify his own future after the final home match of the season, a 2-0 defeat to leaders Chelsea.   

Benitez, who only signed a new five-year deal 14 months ago, has tied a number of players to long-term deals, but Benayoun is not one of them and he was linked with a move away in January. 

The Israeli would like to finish his career at Anfield but accepts the final decision may not be his.   

'It's very difficult to speak now about next season,' said Benayoun. 'We don't know what changes there will be in the players, the staff so I think it's too early to speak.   

'I don't know personally even if I will be here or I will not be here. A lot of things can happen, so we have to wait and see.'
Uncertainty at boardroom level - co-owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett have put the club up for sale - is filtering down through Benitez to the players.   

'Liverpool is a great club and I enjoy it but a lot of things are happening in this moment,' added Benayoun.   

'If it depended on me, I would stay here and retire in Liverpool. The fans are the best in the world but it depends on a lot of things. It will be very clear soon.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1271024/Yossi-Benayouns-Liverpool-future-air.html?ITO=1490

He's exactly the sort of player we do need to keep. We have few enough players of his technical level as it is.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2010, 02:16:48 PM »
Benny is pure class.

We could not afford to replace him.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2010, 03:35:07 PM »

rumours that Gordona, a right winger, will be available soon, on a free.

lots of red tape and regulation tho, to be navigated, if he is to make the move to anfield.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2010, 12:26:42 AM »

rumours that Gordona, a right winger, will be available soon, on a free.

lots of red tape and regulation tho, to be navigated, if he is to make the move to anfield.

He'd bankrupt us with his wage demands.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2010, 12:35:28 AM »
Liverpool target Chelsea's Joe Cole as Reds plan new era with free agent England star

EXCLUSIVE By Simon Jones
Last updated at 11:01 PM on 3rd May 2010

Liverpool want England and Chelsea midfielder Joe Cole to spearhead an Anfield revival.

Cole is known to have infuriated Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich with his wage demands during preliminary contract talks.

The 28-year-old is potentially one of the best Bosman free transfers on the
market and Liverpool, who are driving to bolster their English contingent, have earmarked the skilful Londoner as a potential signing.

Manager Rafa Benitez has already signed up-and-coming stars Raheem Sterling (from QPR) and Jonjo Shelvey (from Charlton) and has talked openly about his desire to instill more ‘English passion’ into the club.

Even if Benitez leaves, the club will look to sign at least two more English players over the next month as they pursue a policy of signing more homegrown players to prepare for new UEFA guidelines.

Cole, who has struggled to hold down a Chelsea first-team place under Carlo Ancelotti, would give the club Premier League experience, plus the star quality that would appease disillusioned fans.

He would not command a transfer fee but is looking for around £6.2million a year in wages — £120,000 a week.

A move to Liverpool is believed to interest Cole as a next-best alternative to staying at Chelsea.

But that plan was originally smoothed by the idea of the Anfield club qualifying for the Champions League — which they have not — and being in a position to build this summer.

Instead, Liverpool find themselves in turmoil with big questions over the management and ownership still to be resolved.

That could open the door for Tottenham and Manchester City to make rival offers for Cole.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1271454/Liverpool-want-England-Chelsea-midfielder-Joe-Cole.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

A replacement for both Aurelio and Degen - on the treatment table.

Will we ever learn?

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2010, 04:46:21 AM »
He'd bankrupt us with his wage demands.

apparently a red all his life.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2010, 10:01:30 AM »
apparently a red all his life.

He's great at PR. The thought of Brownie makes many people see red (and then feel blue).

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2010, 12:42:55 PM »
Just to cheer everybody up I thought I'd just remind us what 'Mr Hicks' had to say in January about what we have to look forward to this Summer:

Tom Hicks: Liverpool FC will spend big and not sell players to fund debt this summer

Jan 12 2010 Dominic King

LIVERPOOL co-owner Tom Hicks has assured supporters the summer transfer window will "be big" and promised no players will be sold to finance the club's debt.

Hicks, whose son Thomas Jr resigned as a director of Liverpool and Kop holdings yesterday, was responding to an email from a concerned Liverpool supporter.

Hicks attempted to defuse the situation currently surrounding the Reds and their transfer policy in the January window by insisting they will come out fighting in the summer.

The Dallas-based businessman is also convinced Liverpool's future will be transformed once work begins on the new stadium in Stanley Park, something he says managing director Christian Purslow is endeavouring to make happen.

Hicks wrote: "Our debt is very manageable (see Man U) and we never use player sales for debt service.

"Our interest on £200 mm is about 16mm. The new stadium will be the game changer. Christian is working very hard on it. January is a poor quality market. The summer window will be big."

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2010/01/12/tom-hicks-liverpool-fc-will-spend-big-and-not-sell-players-to-fund-debt-this-summer-100252-25581592/

Sorted then, Tom said so. Don't know what we're all worried about.  ::)

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2010, 08:51:02 AM »
Alberto Aquilani’s agent refuses to rule out move to Italy for Liverpool FC midfielder

May 6 2010 by James Pearce, Liverpool Echo
Add a comment
Recommend

LIVERPOOL midfielder Alberto Aquilani could return to Italy this summer, according to the player’s agent.

The 25-year-old, who was signed from Roma in a £20million deal last August, has endured a disappointing first season at Anfield with injury and illness limiting him to just 12 starts and 13 substitute appearances.

Fiorentina are believed to be keen on taking Aquilani back to his homeland and agent Franco Zavaglia has refused to rule out a move.

Zavaglia admits the uncertainty over Rafa Benitez's position means Aquilani is also considering his own future.

"It's still too early to tell if a deal is possible,” he said.

“First of all he must finish the season well and then once we understand Liverpool's future plans we can make concrete decisions.

"The interest of Fiorentina is not new. People have talked about it for three years.

"There are many things to consider. If Benitez is taking his time to understand Liverpool's future then you must imagine what it's like for Aquilani."

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2010/05/06/alberto-aquilani-s-agent-refuses-to-rule-out-move-to-italy-for-liverpool-fc-midfielder-100252-26386686/

If these quotes attributed to Aquillanis agent are true you have to question the players mentality to play for Liverpool whether Benitez stays or goes. I want players who want to play for Liverpool first irregardless of whose in charge.

If Benitez stays he really needs to reconsider his transfer policy. Whether he has 50 million to spend or 5 million to spend there is no sense anymore in buying players just to beef up the squad. I'd prefer to see him use reserves that aren't good enough than buying poor quality / injury prone players that aren't good enough. Save our cash until we can afford to buy someone that is Liverpool quality.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2010, 08:52:39 AM »
And if the above story is true and Fiorentina were willing to offer us the opportunity to recoup the 20 million splashed out on Aquillani I would bite their hands off for it.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2010, 12:49:35 PM »
Aqua looks like a potentially very good player.  I'd like to see him injury free and with a long run of games in the team.

And Lucas also looks a far better player, when allowed to play more offensively.

But offensive midfield is an area that has always been overshadowed by one player....to the detriment IMHO of the rest of those around him.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2010, 02:27:17 PM »
And if the above story is true and Fiorentina were willing to offer us the opportunity to recoup the 20 million splashed out on Aquillani I would bite their hands off for it.

Aquilani's transfer fee is made up as:

Four cash installments:

* €5m upfront
* €3m by 4th January 2010
* €7m by June 30th 2010
* €5m by June 30th 2011.

Base transfer fee = €20m/£18m

Further Add ons include:

* €300k for every year Liverpool qualify for the CL from 2010/11 to 2014/15.

* €250k every time the player reaches 35 appearancs; 70 appearances; 105 appeances and then 140 appearances.

* €1m the first time Liverpool either wins the Premier League or Champions League by 30 June 2014.

* 5% of any future transfer fee paid to Roma.

So at the moment we've paid out €10M with no add-ons. To recoup our outlay we'd need to sell before 30th June with another €5M is due and for a fee of approx €10.6M to break even after paying Roma 5% of that fee.
After 30th June the fee needed to break even would be €16M.

If we were to break even then I think I'd prefer to keep him and use him correctly as an advanced midfielder, where he can use his obvious strengths and be kept out of the mosh pit of a Premier League central midfield position.

However keeping him would be dependant upon a) his desire to remain at the club b) his ability and desire to face the increased physical aspects he will encounter, even in a more advanced midfield position c) the long term prognosis on his overall physical condition

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2010, 02:51:56 PM »
Aqua looks like a potentially very good player.  I'd like to see him injury free and with a long run of games in the team.

And Lucas also looks a far better player, when allowed to play more offensively.

But offensive midfield is an area that has always been overshadowed by one player....to the detriment IMHO of the rest of those around him.

No doubting the guy looks to have a lot of potential but I just dont like to see his agent already raise questions about his future at the club after just one season.

If we only had more players with an attitude like Reina

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2010, 03:00:21 PM »

However keeping him would be dependant upon a) his desire to remain at the club b) his ability and desire to face the increased physical aspects he will encounter, even in a more advanced midfield position c) the long term prognosis on his overall physical condition

I had an idea his transfer fee was broken up alright, just wasnt sure of the breakdown.

Unless his agent starts to make the right noises or the players starts re-affirming his commitment to the club I would be willing to let him leave if we were to break even.

What we cant afford is expensive imports that wish they were plying their trade somewhere else.