November 26, 2020, 12:58:47 AM

Author Topic: Summer transfer window thread  (Read 141786 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Summer transfer window thread
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2010, 04:31:26 PM »
The problem is we don't know if the agent is throwing these comments out there to test the water before then convincing his client to move back to Italy and hence take his cut of another deal or whether he's carrying out his client's wishes directly.

Out of all our players, Reina is the one who deserves a better team in front of him, considering how he's played this season, yet he's nailed his colours firmly to the mast by signing a new long term contract. The guy is pure class, in every way.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2010, 04:39:10 PM »
Liverpool and Arsenal eye Mamadou Niang transfer from Marseille

Premier League heavyweights Liverpool and Arsenal are both said to be keeping tabs on Marseille forward Mamadou Niang after he enjoyed another outstanding season in the French league.

The Senegalese striker scored the winning goal as L'OM sealed a 3-1 win over Rennes which, coupled with Auxerre's 2-1 defeat to Lyon, handed the southern side a first league crown since 1992.

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez is rumoured to be interested in signing Niang, although a price-tag of £14million may put off the Spaniard.

However, the Reds could knock down the asking price by offering a combination of unwanted players in return - including out-of-favour winger Albert Riera or unsettled Yossi Benayoun and Ryan Babel.

Arsenal have also been linked with the 30-year-old, although Niang's age could be something of a stumbling block for Arsene Wenger - not to mention the exorbitant price-tag.

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/824906-liverpool-and-arsenal-eye-mamadou-niang-transfer-from-marseille
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 04:46:31 PM by Tes »

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2010, 06:52:32 PM »
Liverpool and Arsenal eye Mamadou Niang transfer from Marseille

Premier League heavyweights Liverpool and Arsenal are both said to be keeping tabs on Marseille forward Mamadou Niang after he enjoyed another outstanding season in the French league.

The Senegalese striker scored the winning goal as L'OM sealed a 3-1 win over Rennes which, coupled with Auxerre's 2-1 defeat to Lyon, handed the southern side a first league crown since 1992.

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez is rumoured to be interested in signing Niang, although a price-tag of £14million may put off the Spaniard.

However, the Reds could knock down the asking price by offering a combination of unwanted players in return - including out-of-favour winger Albert Riera or unsettled Yossi Benayoun and Ryan Babel.

Arsenal have also been linked with the 30-year-old, although Niang's age could be something of a stumbling block for Arsene Wenger - not to mention the exorbitant price-tag.

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/824906-liverpool-and-arsenal-eye-mamadou-niang-transfer-from-marseille

30 years old - 14 million  :o :o :o somebody take the cheque book off Rafa until he signs on somewhere else

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2010, 08:20:45 PM »
30 years old - 14 million  :o :o :o somebody take the cheque book off Rafa until he signs on somewhere else

Or make Rafa use his own chequebook.

No team will pay anywhere near £14M for a 30 year old with no particular reputation outside of France. Surely if he was worth that sort of money he would have been snapped well before now.

Unless City are interested, I can start to see the end of transfer inflation starting with this Summer's window.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2010, 09:35:22 PM »
Rangers' Danny Wilson to complete Liverpool transfer

By Alasdair Lamont   Page last updated at 14:21 GMT, Saturday, 8 May 2010 15:21 UK

Defender Danny Wilson is expected to agree a move from Rangers to Liverpool in the next seven days.

The 18-year-old has just over a year left on his contract and had turned down the new deal on offer to him.

Liverpool had a previous bid turned down but have returned with an improved offer in the region of £2m plus add-ons that Rangers have deemed acceptable.

The Ibrox club stood to lose the player for around £500,000 in compensation had he not been sold this summer.

Wilson, who made his debut in October, was recently voted PFA Scotland young player of the year, having made over 20 appearances - two in the Champions League - and scored once this season.

Injury ended his campaign prematurely, but he will leave Ibrox with winners' medals from Rangers' Scottish Premier League and Co-operative Insurance Cup triumphs.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/8669988.stm

It's probably me but I must have missed the stampede for his signature that's causing us to pay 400% more than if we wait until next Summer, especially when our transfer budget amounts to an out of date voucher for 50p off a tube of Anusol, a half eaten dog chew and two fluff covered mint imperials. 

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2010, 02:53:41 AM »
It's probably me but I must have missed the stampede for his signature that's causing us to pay 400% more than if we wait until next Summer, especially when our transfer budget amounts to an out of date voucher for 50p off a tube of Anusol, a half eaten dog chew and two fluff covered mint imperials. 

making mental note - Tes seems dubious about Liverpool's plans to spend 'big' this summer.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2010, 01:22:44 PM »
I think the reverse is real possibility. With the bank debt remaining at £237M from July '09 to July '11 and interest payments probably being higher than those shown in the '09 accounts, from July '09 to Jan/March '10 then to July '10 and rising yet again from July '10 to July '11 and with the wage bill to July '10 and again to July '11 rising higher than the level in the '09 accounts and prize money vastly reduced going forward from July '10, Torres and Gerrard may need to be removed from the wage bill.

Broughton has stated we don't need to sell them but if the bank debt isn't reduced (as is likely) the increased interest payments could see Kop Holdings loosing a further £100M in addition to the +£90M they've lost up to July '09 by July 2011.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2010, 12:06:16 PM »
Benny's off with Roma being the latest destination: http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2010/05/15/agent-sparks-questions-over-yossi-benayoun-s-liverpool-fc-future-100252-26450106/

Of course Nando's already had his shirt fitting with the rent boys: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/chelsea/7470187/Liverpool-striker-Fernando-Torres-linked-with-Chelsea-summer-move.html

So if our manager's off to Inter, I wonder who's selling these players, especially as the prices are ridiculous. £40M for Torres, £5M for Benayoun, both to Chelsea if you collate the reports.
I smell the hand of Broughton in this.  :D

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2010, 03:26:29 PM »
more like the hand of fleet street. 

having said that, I suspect with no funds of note available for Rafa to spend this summer.....I suspect his meetings with Broughton are to clarify, that he will be allowed to spend any money that he raise svia sales.

i.e. that being the case, I'm half-expecting to see Torres depart.......bringing in 70 million odd quid.........and Rafa using that to rebuild.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2010, 03:38:49 PM »
more like the hand of fleet street. 

having said that, I suspect with no funds of note available for Rafa to spend this summer.....I suspect his meetings with Broughton are to clarify, that he will be allowed to spend any money that he raise svia sales.

i.e. that being the case, I'm half-expecting to see Torres depart.......bringing in 70 million odd quid.........and Rafa using that to rebuild.

Dude, I think I'd be more surprised if both those things didn't happen.

Getting back in the top four will definately be the new 'title challenge'.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2010, 09:03:19 PM »
Dude, I think I'd be more surprised if both those things didn't happen.

Getting back in the top four will definately be the new 'title challenge'.

agreed, Tes.

and though I am a massive fan of Torres - his fitness record is dire.

If someone gives us 70 million quid for a *trophy* signing (e.g. chelsea or man city strutting their riches) then grab it.

if gerrard were to leave too - bringing in 35 or 40 million, I'd grab that hand as well.

rafa can use this poor season, as a good reason to take some difficult steps.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2010, 10:26:49 PM »
agreed, Tes.

and though I am a massive fan of Torres - his fitness record is dire.

If someone gives us 70 million quid for a *trophy* signing (e.g. chelsea or man city strutting their riches) then grab it.

if gerrard were to leave too - bringing in 35 or 40 million, I'd grab that hand as well.

rafa can use this poor season, as a good reason to take some difficult steps.

Dude, the problem is we're from the old school of economics. £30M for a 30 year old Gerrard makes sense. Afterall, where will we get the sort of money needed to replace a 'retiring' Gerrard? Likewise Nando. £120,000 a week is a lot to pay out for no return each time he's injured. £70M could buy two stikers who together could cover Nando's goals. Of course it would take them a full season to do what he does in half a season but it could also help with the consistancy of the team. No great peaks and troughs according to who's in the treatment.

I'd prefer Torres went abroad. I could deal with him playing for a team like Barca. Seeing him play for the two new classless playthings would be a stomach churner, he deserves better. However, if he were to go to either City or Chelsea, I'd lose all respect for him considering his comments about how the Premier League was taking a physical toll on him.

It stinks talking like this, but this is the economic reality we find ourselves in. The earlier it's faced up to, the earlier we come to terms with it and the earlier we deal with it. The good of the club comes first, second and third. The most important member of the team is the team itself.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2010, 10:40:35 PM »
Torres will go down as our "Alex" Rodriguez.

I can't believe I'm comparing us to the Texas also-rans.

*covers ears against screeching noise as bottom of the barrel is reached.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2010, 11:39:37 PM »
It stinks talking like this, but this is the economic reality we find ourselves in. The earlier it's faced up to, the earlier we come to terms with it and the earlier we deal with it. The good of the club comes first, second and third. The most important member of the team is the team itself.

Guys things are bad financially at the moment but lets not go and do anything we may regret.

As you point out Tes the good of the club comes first second and third but how much would we be kicking ourselves if we sold Torres and Gerrard for the cash only to be taken over by a wealthy investor later in the summer.

I wouldn't ever seriously contemplate selling Gerrard or Torres. Even if I were Rafa or Purslow or whoever is pulling the strings the fact the club is up for sale I would hold on to the likes of Torres and Gerrard in the hope that we will be taken over in the not so distant future.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2010, 12:49:03 AM »
Guys things are bad financially at the moment but lets not go and do anything we may regret.

As you point out Tes the good of the club comes first second and third but how much would we be kicking ourselves if we sold Torres and Gerrard for the cash only to be taken over by a wealthy investor later in the summer.

I wouldn't ever seriously contemplate selling Gerrard or Torres. Even if I were Rafa or Purslow or whoever is pulling the strings the fact the club is up for sale I would hold on to the likes of Torres and Gerrard in the hope that we will be taken over in the not so distant future.

I don't think anyone's positively pushing to sell them, but there's a very real chance we're going to receive tempting (at least as far as a certain duo are concerned) bids for them and so if we look at positives that could come out of it, it's easier to deal with the whole situation. Of course there's always the twin problems of whether the manager gets every penny raised to spend on the team and whether the money (if he did get it all) would be invested wisely to the betterment of the team. Those two are probably less easy to find positives in.

As far as a new owner goes, where Hicks in particular, is concerned it's hard to be positive. The Texas Rangers have had new owners in principal since January but seem someway off actually have new owners in reality. RBS are the pivotal player in all this but I'm not convinced they've got the tools to get the job done. I just hope Broughton knows something that doesn't appear to be so to the rest of us.