December 02, 2020, 09:00:41 AM

Author Topic: Summer transfer window thread  (Read 142197 times)

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Summer transfer window thread
« Reply #75 on: May 16, 2010, 01:41:24 AM »
I just hope Broughton knows something that doesn't appear to be so to the rest of us.

Hopefully.

As far as Broughton goes do you think Chelseas persistence with torres at the moment possibly has anything to do with him?

I dont mean to start conspiracy theories here but everyone assumes he will do his job with integrity, that was assumed of Hicks and Gillett also. Is there any chance he is telling someone from the Abramovich company inside info or can he be completely trusted?

Obviously being in a high profile position he has been with BA possibly sees him mixing in circles at a level high up the Chelsea chain of command. So if he is privy to information that Torres is questioning his Liverpool future or that one or two board members want him sold then whose to say hes not making his beloved Chelsea aware of this fact and is encouraging them to maintain interest. They have shown interest very early this year and seem persistent. Its just a theory but these days you don't know who wants the best for the club and who doesn't

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2010, 01:04:15 PM »
Hopefully.

As far as Broughton goes do you think Chelseas persistence with torres at the moment possibly has anything to do with him?

I dont mean to start conspiracy theories here but everyone assumes he will do his job with integrity, that was assumed of Hicks and Gillett also. Is there any chance he is telling someone from the Abramovich company inside info or can he be completely trusted?

Obviously being in a high profile position he has been with BA possibly sees him mixing in circles at a level high up the Chelsea chain of command. So if he is privy to information that Torres is questioning his Liverpool future or that one or two board members want him sold then whose to say hes not making his beloved Chelsea aware of this fact and is encouraging them to maintain interest. They have shown interest very early this year and seem persistent. Its just a theory but these days you don't know who wants the best for the club and who doesn't

Juan, I don't think it is a conspiracy. I think it's a valid point. Until the Chelsea match, my opinion was that Broughton was here in a professional capacity, for which he will be being very well paid and the Chelsea aspect is a hobby. Afterall it's chic to have high profile fans and the media just to embellish anything.

Now, I'm uneasy. He should have been at the Chelsea match as chairman of the club, no matter the strength of his private feelings for Chelsea.

As for Chelsea's Summer transfer dealings, I'm not convinced we'll see a huge Summer from them unless they offload an ageing Dogbra or Fwank. For the past three Summers they've been signing Villa and Aguero, yet they remain with the same clubs they were with when the links started. Last year it was also Tevez and Ribery. This year because of the Ancelotti / Milan connection it's also Pato.
I don't see Abramovich being willing to fund tens of millions of pounds worth of transfers from his pocket either. There seems to have been a real drive to get the club to be as self sustaining as possible, hence them trying to sort out a possible move or redevelopment of Stamford Bridge.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2010, 03:26:48 PM »
LIVERPOOL'S FABIO AURELIO COULD BE ON HIS WAY TO GREEK CLUB OLYMPIAKOS

16th May 2010   By Daily Star reporter

LIVERPOOL full-back Fabio Aurelio could be on his way to Greek club Olympiakos.

Brazilian Aurelio, 30, has been injured for much of his time at Anfield since joining on a free transfer from Benitez’s former club Valencia in July 2006.

He missed the last ten weeks of the season with a thigh problem.

Aurelio is out of contract next month and, with his injury record counting against him, he may not find a new Kop deal coming his way.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/posts/view/135443/Liverpool-s-Fabio-Aurelio-could-be-on-his-way-to-Greek-club-Olympiakos/

Irrespective of his ability, he was rarely fit to show it. Frees up a place on the payroll.

He'll probably go there and never have need to know where the treatment is, knowing our luck with injured players.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 03:28:16 PM by Tes »

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2010, 02:17:09 PM »
The teams Yossi is being linked shows he is rated highly across Europe. I hope Rafa hasn't put himself and Yossi in a position where either one or the other has to go because Yossi is a quality player who is probably under utilized at times  at Liverpool.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=788361&sec=transfers&cc=5739&cc=5739

Chelsea consider Benayoun as Cole replacement

By Harry Harris, Football Correspondent

May 18, 2010

ESPNsoccernet understands that Chelsea are considering making a move for Liverpool midfielder Yossi Benayoun, with the Israeli international touted as a possible replacement for the out of contract Joe Cole.

Yossi Benayoun joined Liverpool from West Ham in the summer of 2007

Cole is apparently no nearer to resolving his contract dispute with owner Roman Abramovich, and the feelers are already out to find a suitable replacement, though Benayoun could even be recruited if Cole stays.

There are ample suitors for Cole, but he would like to stay at Stamford Bridge if he can come to an agreement over new terms.

However, a list of possible replacements has been put to manager Carlo Ancelotti and the Israeli is highly thought of by the Italian coach, who has now a much clearer picture of the players in the Premier League after his first season in charge of the club.

He is also clearer about what is needed to improve the team that won the Double, but fell short in the Champions League.

A Stamford Bridge insider told Soccernet: "There is no doubt that Yossi Benayoun is highly thought of at the club, and it wouldn't surprise me if he came to Chelsea."

Salomon Kalou has had plenty of opportunities to stake his claim for a place but has been far too inconsistent. His performance in the FA Cup final underlined the need for a different type of player in his position, and with Cole failing to convince Ancelotti it should be him, changes are likely to be afoot.

Abramovich would be interested in a major player exchange with Liverpool, and though the Russian would primarily want that deal to involve Fernando Torres, it could also include Benayoun.

Half a dozen of Chelsea's first team squad will be offloaded this summer, which would give Liverpool a bigger choice of players to potentially bring to Anfield.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 18, 2010, 10:06:41 PM »
Yossi is exactly the sort of player we need to keep. In many ways the players who he decides to sell this Summer are more important than those he brings in.

For example to replace Yossi with someone of at least equal quality will no doubt cost more than we receive (especially the way we get bullied in the transfer market) therefore taking funds away from another position.   

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2010, 12:05:53 PM »
Villa has agreed to move to Barcelona. Surely that strengthens our chances of keeping Torres, I couldnt see him going to Man City or Chelsea.

And if they get Fabregas too again that probably rules out a move for Masch. Pitty for him hes nailed down his colours, I would flog him to the next highest bidder.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/8691888.stm

Striker David Villa moves to Barcelona from Valencia

David Villa will be unveiled as a Barcelona player on Friday after completing a £34.2m move from Valencia.

The Spain international has signed a four-year deal and is the first summer capture for the Catalan club, with Cesc Fabregas also said to be in the mix.

Villa, 28, is due in Barcelona on Thursday and is booked for a medical.

He is a regular in Spain's first team, was a member of the Euro 2008-winning squad and will be highly fancied to make a big impact at the World Cup.

His arrival at Barcelona is likely to lead to increased speculation over the futures of Thierry Henry and Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 19, 2010, 01:57:00 PM »
Villa has agreed to move to Barcelona. Surely that strengthens our chances of keeping Torres, I couldnt see him going to Man City or Chelsea.

And if they get Fabregas too again that probably rules out a move for Masch. Pitty for him hes nailed down his colours, I would flog him to the next highest bidder.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/8691888.stm

Striker David Villa moves to Barcelona from Valencia

David Villa will be unveiled as a Barcelona player on Friday after completing a £34.2m move from Valencia.

The Spain international has signed a four-year deal and is the first summer capture for the Catalan club, with Cesc Fabregas also said to be in the mix.

Villa, 28, is due in Barcelona on Thursday and is booked for a medical.

He is a regular in Spain's first team, was a member of the Euro 2008-winning squad and will be highly fancied to make a big impact at the World Cup.

His arrival at Barcelona is likely to lead to increased speculation over the futures of Thierry Henry and Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

Crazy fee for a soon to be 29 y.o.

The Masch / Fabregas thing is odd. I can't see Barca fitting them both into their team and if they go for Fabregas I can see Toure going the other way and he's the sort of player Arsenal need.
Masch has put himself on the spot now. I'd rather see him go if he's not 100% committed but I guess his options are limited and then there's the whole problem of us ending up with an adequate replacement, where some or all of the cash goes, if he's p/exed with another player and we get cash on top, does it get spent on the team or just disappear into the financial black hole.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 19, 2010, 04:07:28 PM »
Crazy fee for a soon to be 29 y.o.

The Masch / Fabregas thing is odd. I can't see Barca fitting them both into their team and if they go for Fabregas I can see Toure going the other way and he's the sort of player Arsenal need.
Masch has put himself on the spot now. I'd rather see him go if he's not 100% committed but I guess his options are limited and then there's the whole problem of us ending up with an adequate replacement, where some or all of the cash goes, if he's p/exed with another player and we get cash on top, does it get spent on the team or just disappear into the financial black hole.

Barca seem to do crazy deals, none crazier than paying 40 million + Samuel Eto for Ibrahimovich last summer. And again this summer Villa top quality player but as you say Tes even if we had some cash to play with at 29 im not sure 34 million is good business, for us anyway. Barca can afford it.

Of course selling Masch would be dependent on Rafa getting the transfer fee. I just dont see the point in keeping him now, he will most likely just see out his contract and even if he signs a new deal any sign of interest from Real or Barca he will be highlighting his unhappiness in Liverpool again.

Masch has had his head turned. I would sell him and buy somebody who is going to commit to being a Liverpool player 100 %.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2010, 04:31:35 PM »
if Rafa sells Yossi, then I will have lost all confidence in our manager.

I think Rafa needs to go, if he is selling Yossi. 

(assumption is that there is not something we do not know about the issue)
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2010, 01:02:48 AM »
from Thursday's Times

Jamie Carragher has told his unsettled team-mates that if their commitment to Liverpool is in doubt, they should not bother returning to the club for pre-season training.

The centre back is thought to have been referring to Javier Mascherano, who has expressed an interest in joining Barcelona, but his words of warning are equally pertinent to Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres, whose futures at Anfield are also uncertain.

In his first interview since returning from international retirement, Carragher spoke passionately yesterday about his pride over the prospect of representing England at the World Cup finals, but his love for Liverpool is even more enduring.

Carragher, 32, has taken heart from Rafael Benítez’s announcement yesterday that he wants to stay as Liverpool manager and would welcome a similar expression of commitment from some team-mates. There is little prospect of Gerrard leaving, despite renewed interest from Real Madrid, but with Chelsea, Manchester City and Barcelona preparing to bid for Torres, the same cannot be said of the Spain striker.

Liverpool finished seventh in the Barclays Premier League and Carragher said yesterday: “As soon as the game at Hull finished I wished the start of next season was the next day. The best thing is to forget it and get on with it. I know what it’s like on the back of a poor season and just want us to get back.

“The people who want to be there will come back. If people don’t, then no problem. There will always be a Liverpool Football Club. People always talk about players leaving, about ‘Is this the end of Liverpool?’ but no chance.

“Better players than the ones we have now have left and we have replaced them. Anyone who doesn’t want to be there, no problem, but we’ll start next season with the players who want to do well.”

Carragher said that Liverpool’s disappointing season, in which they failed to qualify for the Champions League for the first time since 2003, had influenced his decision to end a self-imposed international exile dating back to 2007.

It will only be a brief international return, which he attributes to injuries to the likes of Wes Brown and Joleon Lescott. Carragher does not plan to make himself available for the European Championship qualifying campaign, which begins in September.

“Don’t forget Liverpool had come off the back of two Champions League finals in 2007,” he said. “I’m not in that situation now. That is what’s changed.

“With how it’s gone this season, at my age, you want to play at the highest level possible for as long as possible, and the highest level is the World Cup and the Champions League. Hopefully, if I go to South Africa, it’s a one-off because the injury situation will have been cleared up for next season.”

Carragher said that he has not been given any assurance by Fabio Capello that he will make the England manager’s final squad of 23, to be announced on June 1, but it seems inconceivable that he will be left out, with Matthew Upson or Michael Dawson the most likely central defensive casualty.

Capello emphasised yesterday that England can win the tournament and identified the state of the pitches in South Africa as one of his biggest concerns. Given the condition of the turf at Wembley, though, his players should have little problem adjusting to a substandard surface.

“I think England are one of the best teams in the world and we can win against anyone,” Capello said. “Whenever you go to South Africa you are interested in the quality of the pitches, but my most important hope is that all my best players will be injury-free.”
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 20, 2010, 01:13:22 AM »
from Thursday's Times

Jamie Carragher has told his unsettled team-mates that if their commitment to Liverpool is in doubt, they should not bother returning to the club for pre-season training.

The centre back is thought to have been referring to Javier Mascherano, who has expressed an interest in joining Barcelona, but his words of warning are equally pertinent to Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres, whose futures at Anfield are also uncertain.

In his first interview since returning from international retirement, Carragher spoke passionately yesterday about his pride over the prospect of representing England at the World Cup finals, but his love for Liverpool is even more enduring.

Carragher, 32, has taken heart from Rafael Benítez’s announcement yesterday that he wants to stay as Liverpool manager and would welcome a similar expression of commitment from some team-mates. There is little prospect of Gerrard leaving, despite renewed interest from Real Madrid, but with Chelsea, Manchester City and Barcelona preparing to bid for Torres, the same cannot be said of the Spain striker.

Liverpool finished seventh in the Barclays Premier League and Carragher said yesterday: “As soon as the game at Hull finished I wished the start of next season was the next day. The best thing is to forget it and get on with it. I know what it’s like on the back of a poor season and just want us to get back.

“The people who want to be there will come back. If people don’t, then no problem. There will always be a Liverpool Football Club. People always talk about players leaving, about ‘Is this the end of Liverpool?’ but no chance.

“Better players than the ones we have now have left and we have replaced them. Anyone who doesn’t want to be there, no problem, but we’ll start next season with the players who want to do well.”

Carragher said that Liverpool’s disappointing season, in which they failed to qualify for the Champions League for the first time since 2003, had influenced his decision to end a self-imposed international exile dating back to 2007.

It will only be a brief international return, which he attributes to injuries to the likes of Wes Brown and Joleon Lescott. Carragher does not plan to make himself available for the European Championship qualifying campaign, which begins in September.

“Don’t forget Liverpool had come off the back of two Champions League finals in 2007,” he said. “I’m not in that situation now. That is what’s changed.

“With how it’s gone this season, at my age, you want to play at the highest level possible for as long as possible, and the highest level is the World Cup and the Champions League. Hopefully, if I go to South Africa, it’s a one-off because the injury situation will have been cleared up for next season.”

Carragher said that he has not been given any assurance by Fabio Capello that he will make the England manager’s final squad of 23, to be announced on June 1, but it seems inconceivable that he will be left out, with Matthew Upson or Michael Dawson the most likely central defensive casualty.

Capello emphasised yesterday that England can win the tournament and identified the state of the pitches in South Africa as one of his biggest concerns. Given the condition of the turf at Wembley, though, his players should have little problem adjusting to a substandard surface.

“I think England are one of the best teams in the world and we can win against anyone,” Capello said. “Whenever you go to South Africa you are interested in the quality of the pitches, but my most important hope is that all my best players will be injury-free.”

..........and breathe, Jamie. And it might be better if you take your foot off Riera's neck. Nah, second thoughts, press down harder.

16 more like him and Pepe, and who knows we could be back in 'the top four' again come the end of next season.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2010, 01:23:11 AM »
you know, I quietly trace the beginnings of our dire season, way back to August.....and that first game. 

We were bossing the game to that point, away from home....and then Carra was way too over eager and rather than leave a high ball to his centreback colleague (skytrel), he went for it himself.

Skitrail and Carra collided.....head injuries........the game changed and our season never recovered.

and what do we take from this story (feels like like a sermon, where I have to wrap it up a hour later, with an important point).....well Carra maybe is a tad too commited at times.  He needs to delegate and trust others.

Mind you, he's firing off at Monster and probbaly Riera....which is fine in my book.

Tho this outburst tells me (by deduction) that Captain Marvel (who Carra is big mates with) WILL NOT be leaving this summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 20, 2010, 12:03:05 PM »
you know, I quietly trace the beginnings of our dire season, way back to August.....and that first game. 

We were bossing the game to that point, away from home....and then Carra was way too over eager and rather than leave a high ball to his centreback colleague (skytrel), he went for it himself.

Skitrail and Carra collided.....head injuries........the game changed and our season never recovered.

and what do we take from this story (feels like like a sermon, where I have to wrap it up a hour later, with an important point).....well Carra maybe is a tad too commited at times.  He needs to delegate and trust others.

Mind you, he's firing off at Monster and probbaly Riera....which is fine in my book.

Tho this outburst tells me (by deduction) that Captain Marvel (who Carra is big mates with) WILL NOT be leaving this summer.

Dude, I know what you're saying about Carra. He plays as much with his heart as with his head. However, given some of the spineless wonders that have had the afront to pull on a Liverpool shirt these last few years, I'd have Carra's methods everytime.
The other thing with Carra is that he's at the age where he feels he has to prove himself every game, which in reality should be the case with every player who ever gets minutes on the pitch in a red shirt.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 20, 2010, 12:31:34 PM »
You have to love him.

This season I started to wonder was he starting to show creaks in his game and as good as hes been I think he will need to keep proving himself as Tes mentioned. He was rock solid in defense at times but he was beaten too easily in others. I think the jury maybe out on whether he can keep performing each and every game at his impeccable best or does Rafa start using him a bit more sparingly like he did with Sami.

But no matter what, the guy has been and still is an absolute legend for the club. That outburst was definitely directed at Mascherano and maybe to 1% directed at Nando. To be honest guys I dont think any of it was even directed at Riera for the simple reason that hes history already.

And to be honest I wouldnt be surprised if Masch got a call from Carra to tell him exactly what he thinks. Its just refreshing that when one player the fans respect and admire lets you down like Masch another appears with fighting words exuding fire in the belly and passion for the club. I just wish at times Stevie G could show the same type of angry passion that Carra does and kick a few team mates up the ar*e

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 20, 2010, 12:48:36 PM »
Its not like we could afford him so I'd prefer to see him at Madrid than the Scum

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/38515/Spanish_press_No_Silva_lining_for_United_as_Real_close_in_.aspx

Spanish press: No Silva lining for United as Real close in

Author:  Ben Moss
Posted on:20 May 2010 - 12:05

Reports in Spain claim Real Madrid are on the verge of beating Manchester United to the signature of Valencia midfielder David Silva. The La Liga giants have been perturbed by Barcelona’s thus far unrivalled spending in the transfer window, with Josep Guardiola’s side following up the signing of David Villa by mounting a double offensive for Arsenal FC’s Cesc Fabregas and Liverpool FC’s Fernando Torres, and the Los Merengues are eager to ensure they do not lose out to Sir Alex Ferguson in the race for the mercurial midfielder. Liverpool FC, Chelsea FC, Tottenham Hotspur and Manchester City have also been linked with Silva, but Marca claim Real hope to conclude a deal by the end of the week.

Real Madrid are likely to a appoint a new coach this summer but despite the uncertainty surrounding Manuel Pellegrini’s future, Florentino Perez is still eager to bring in new recruits. Real Madrid’s lengthy pursuit of Silva, which began last summer with Manchester United and Liverpool FC, remains their top priority in light of Barcelona’s proactive work in the transfer market and Sir Alex Ferguson’s continued coveting of the Valencia star. The player is believed to favour a move to the Bernabeu despite recently expressing honour at Manchester United’s purported interest, and Marca claim Real will complete the £28 million signing of the 24-year-old on Friday. The news will not only be a blow to the Old Trafford supremo, but also his Premier League rivals Tottenham Hotspur, Chelsea FC and Liverpool FC, all of whom have retained an interest in the player for some time.  Last week Spurs boss Harry Redknapp was linked with the player, hoping the lure of Champions League football could tempt the player to White Ha
rt Lane, while Liverpool FC manager Rafa Benitez tried to sign Silva last summer and the following January.

According to Marca, Real Madrid will pip Manchester United, Liverpool FC, Tottenham Hotspur and Manchester City to the Valencia star by the end of the week. The Spanish international has provided ten assists in 38 games this season, scoring nine goals and is expected to play a key role in Spain’s efforts to add the World Cup to their 2008 European Championship win this summer.

After announcing the departure of David Villa yesterday, Valencia president, Manuel Llorente, warned the club’s fans that more high profile players are likely to leave the Mestalla.

He told the press: “I do not discount further exits."