November 26, 2020, 01:02:33 AM

Author Topic: Summer transfer window thread  (Read 141789 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: Summer transfer window thread
« Reply #90 on: May 20, 2010, 01:49:38 PM »
Dude, I know what you're saying about Carra. He plays as much with his heart as with his head. However, given some of the spineless wonders that have had the afront to pull on a Liverpool shirt these last few years, I'd have Carra's methods everytime.
The other thing with Carra is that he's at the age where he feels he has to prove himself every game, which in reality should be the case with every player who ever gets minutes on the pitch in a red shirt.

I totally agree, Tes.

tho when I played, Carra would have been somewhat of what we'd have called an 'agricultural player'  i.e. a tad limited technically, no style or panache....but who gave 110 percent, was fearless, and got the job done.

To be honest, in our dominant era, I suspect Carra would have been quietly replaced one of these summers.  But we don't have too many others with his level of skill and experience. 

I'd like to see Agger step up to the plate one of these seasons - ala Big Sami or Carra....and start to carry a lot more responsibility.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 20, 2010, 06:16:09 PM »
I'd like to see Agger step up to the plate one of these seasons - ala Big Sami or Carra....and start to carry a lot more responsibility.

Me three. Agger + 1 is the future, if he can just stay fit.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 23, 2010, 06:15:16 PM »
Does anyone else think that once Mourinho goes to madrid he'll go all out to try and get Gerrard as his landmark signing? I cant get this worrying thought out of my mind :'(

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 23, 2010, 06:43:56 PM »
Quote from: Tes link=topic=713.msg10542#msg10542  date=1274375769
Me three. Agger + 1 is the future, if he can just  stay fit.
yes, he needs to stay fit and have a decent run in the team.

Does anyone else think that once Mourinho goes to madrid he'll go all out to try and get Gerrard as his landmark signing? I cant get this worrying thought out of my mind :'(
40 million for a stamina-energy-based player, who turns 30 years of age next Sunday, just off a dire season of performances.

I can't see a downside.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 23, 2010, 09:40:18 PM »
Mourinho bought a 30 yr old last summer for 30 mill and he got a lot of slack and last night he scored 2 goals in the champions league final

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 23, 2010, 09:47:43 PM »
yes, he needs to stay fit and have a decent run in the team.
40 million for a stamina-energy-based player, who turns 30 years of age next Sunday, just off a dire season of performances.

I can't see a downside.

So you'll still back Rafa after a bad season but not our captain who's done more for the club than anyone else has in nearly 20 years?

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 24, 2010, 12:10:41 AM »
So you'll still back Rafa after a bad season but not our captain who's done more for the club than anyone else has in nearly 20 years?

aye, but rafa doesn't have to run 7 miles, two or three times a week.

we haven't bossed the midfield arena across those 20 years......thus we rarely compete for the league title. 

gerrard, as a team player, has never particularly impressed me. 

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 24, 2010, 12:16:15 AM »
Chelsea eye another Double as Blues ready bid for Liverpool duo Yossi Benayoun and Javier Mascherano

By Sportsmail Reporter Last updated at 11:52 PM on 23rd May 2010

Chelsea are weighing up a double move for Liverpool's Javier Mascherano and Yossi Benayoun.

The Double winners realise Liverpool are vulnerable to offers and have earmarked the duo to reinforce their ageing squad with Michael Ballack and Joe Cole expected to leave.

Liverpool do not want to sell to Chelsea but if the financial offer is bold enough they may have little choice with Rafa Benitez's budget almost non-existent.

Mascherano has shelved talks on a new contract while Benayoun is hoping to discuss a move to Stamford Bridge for around £6m this week.

Benayoun, 30, said: 'Ancelotti wants me for next season and now everything depends on Liverpool. Chelsea will have to pay some £6m but I believe that in the end I'll be moving there.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1280690/Chelsea-eye-double-Blues-ready-bid-Liverpool-duo-Yossi-Benayoun-Javier-Mascherano.html?ITO=1490

Why would they want three players, if you include Torres, from some sh!t 7th place team?

Anyhoo, the bidding starts at £15M for Benny, seeing as he signed a new contract last Summer.
If we're going to be selling players like Benny, let's get back what it would cost to replace him and not just give them away for chicken feed.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 24, 2010, 12:40:23 AM »

I can't see a downside.

Selling Gerrard would send out all of the wrong signals. Attracting players would be more difficult let alone trying to keep the likes of Torres.

One season off form doesn't make him a bad player Dude and to be honest I dont see him leaving or Rafa selling him for that matter.

Hopefully he will be back with a bang next season because as with years gone by so much of our success depends on him.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 24, 2010, 12:47:27 AM »
Chelsea eye another Double as Blues ready bid for Liverpool duo Yossi Benayoun and Javier Mascherano

Why would they want three players, if you include Torres, from some sh!t 7th place team?

Anyhoo, the bidding starts at £15M for Benny, seeing as he signed a new contract last Summer.
If we're going to be selling players like Benny, let's get back what it would cost to replace him and not just give them away for chicken feed.

Fair deal , at least 15 for Benny and they can have Masch for 40. Masch can go back to sitting on the bench in London.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 24, 2010, 01:20:30 AM »
Fair deal , at least 15 for Benny and they can have Masch for 40. Masch can go back to sitting on the bench in London.

Damn, it means I'm also going to have to try to get a refund on my reader's digest world atlas as it has London as the capital of England, not Argentina.

We need to stop giving away our players for chump change. We slap a huge price on our players as Wenger does and stick to it. If players are under contract then that means they are ours. If they want to leave then they need to make the sacrifice and accept a lower salary, not us accept a lower fee. We're too 'nice' in negotiations.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 24, 2010, 03:38:34 AM »
exactly, put a massive price on their heads.

personally, before his final piece of kyryptonite finally fades, I'd sell aging captain marvel and sicknote, torres......90 - 100 million quid.

if monster also wants to feck off......50 million will do nicely.

I wouldn't let Benny go.  And Reina would always be my captain. 

Offline Redman

• Settling in
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 24, 2010, 07:12:56 AM »
I see we're being linked with Diego Forlan :o I really hope not, he never cut it at the scum what makes someone at Liverpool think he'll manage it 2nd time around?
“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.”

Nikola Tesla

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 24, 2010, 11:41:47 AM »
Damn, it means I'm also going to have to try to get a refund on my reader's digest world atlas as it has London as the capital of England, not Argentina.

We need to stop giving away our players for chump change. We slap a huge price on our players as Wenger does and stick to it. If players are under contract then that means they are ours. If they want to leave then they need to make the sacrifice and accept a lower salary, not us accept a lower fee. We're too 'nice' in negotiations.

Completely agreed Tes re selling players on the cheap. Alonso was the first player I have seen them play hard ball with price wise. Not only do clubs bully us when we try to buy their players (Martin O'Neil and Gareth come to mind) but as you say we get bullied into selling cheaply. We paid 18 million for Masch so we should be at least looking at 40 million.

Parry seemed a soft touch in negotiations but hopefully things are different now

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 24, 2010, 12:44:22 PM »
Chelsea representative: "Hello there, old chap. We're interested in taking Mr Benayoun off your hands. For a fair price, of course."

Liverpool representative: "Right then, let's see". Looks at price list written on the back of an envelope. "Well, we would like £15M for that player, if that's OK with you".

Chelsea representative: Sucks in air. "You see we do have other players we need to buy so I'd like to offer you £10M".

Office door is open suddenly by tea lady, causing a draught and envelope blows out of open window.

Liverpool representative scratches his bottom, bites down on his pen and tries to remember price on back of envelope. Remembers it had a 5 in the price.
"Yes, I understand your problem. Tell you what, £5M and not a penny more".

Chelsea representative: "Spiffers, old chap. Mr Abramovich will be most pleased. Will 4 installments of a £1M each, minus the VAT of course, be agreeable?"

Liverpool representative: "Done". I'll send you our Paypal email address."

Chelsea representative puts down phone. Turns to Bruce Buck, Chelsea's American chairman. "Worra wazzock".

Bruce Buck: "Told you my 'fellow American' Thomas Ollis Hicks wouldn't let us down".