November 26, 2020, 01:31:44 AM

Author Topic: Summer transfer window thread  (Read 141808 times)

centenaryjonny

Re: Summer transfer window thread
« Reply #105 on: May 24, 2010, 02:15:03 PM »
Steve G has been our most consistent performer for the past 10 years, no one has come close to having the same overall impact and working as hard for the team in that time.  The thought that he can just be binned after a season where he was in and out of the team through injuries is ridiculous.  Would £30m buy us someone with the same level of passion and heart, let alone the same skill.

To say he is not a team player is nonesense.  In the past 5 years he has played on the right for a year, in the middle for a year, up front for 2, and anywhere inbetween for the rest.  Ive seen him at right back, at left back, and despite saying that its not his natural position, he has never sulked on the pitch, or let us down.

The problem has been that he is so far ahead of the rest when it comes to the impact he has on matches, that bad games are highlighted even more.  And an average game is classed as a bad one!!

To sell Stevie G at the moment is sending a huge message out to the rest of football that Liverpool are a spent force.

It will be hard enough attracking the best players this summer as it is, why would a great player turn down a Barca, or a Chelsea to go to a club that fininshed 7th?  The name of liverpool FC is one thing, but even so, is it a bigger name nowadays than Barca, United, or even Chelsea?  If we go off names, then Blackpool will hae no problems this summer, with all players wanting to follow in the footsteps of Stanley Matthews!!!!

For the next level of players, we will be competing with the likes of City and Spurs.  Spurs can offer CL football, whilst City can offer cash, and the promise of a bright future.  If Liverpool start offloading our prized assets in Torres, Gerrard and Masch, then who is going to come with the same quality, no matter how much money we get?

The only way to build a better team is AROUND your best players, not instead of them.  Get rid of the dead wood, the 300 reserve team players who will never make it, and will be given away in 3 years having earned a fortune.  Get them off the wage bill.  Build a team with the right players in the right position.  Need a right winger? then dont buy a striker, Need a striker? Then dont buy a midfielder! 

This summer is crucial, we need players who WANT to play for Liverpool, but are also able to offer a consistent high standard.  We dont need quantity, we need quality, and getting rid of the few bits of quality we already have is just ludicrous!!!

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 24, 2010, 03:04:34 PM »
Steve G has been our most consistent performer for the past 10 years

he has never sulked on the pitch, or let us down.

The problem has been that he is so far ahead of the rest

To sell Stevie G at the moment is sending a huge message out to the rest of football that Liverpool are a spent force.

For the next level of players, we will be competing with the likes of City and Spurs. 

The only way to build a better team is AROUND your best players

I pretty much disagree with your post, in it's entirety, CJ.  ;D

TEAMS are not built around an INDIVIDUAL.  Did we build a team around Keegan?  Did we build a team around Souness?  Did we build a team around King Kenny?  Of course we didn't.  And they were FAR better players than Gerrard.

Re attitude - Stevie is well known for his sulks.

Re consistency - Stevie's lack of consistency has always been a problem.  Some have always made excuses for him e.g. his hea isn't right, he's got a world cup on his mind, he's got problems at home, he's being chased by gangsters, he's being played out of posititon, etc, etc.

Re us competing with the likes of Villa and Spurs for players.  Here's some new for you - we ALREADY ARE.  WE haven't been competing for the top tier players for many years.

And as for this notion of seinging out the wrong message (if we sold gerrard).  On the contrary, it makes excellent footballing and business sense.  As long as Rafa gets the money to spend in the market.

The lad is 30 next Sunday.  If someone offers 35 or 40 million for him, grab the hand off them.  Tho I suspect it will be more like a 30 million offer.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 24, 2010, 04:03:37 PM »
Steve G has been our most consistent performer for the past 10 years, no one has come close to having the same overall impact and working as hard for the team in that time.  The thought that he can just be binned after a season where he was in and out of the team through injuries is ridiculous.  Would £30m buy us someone with the same level of passion and heart, let alone the same skill.

To say he is not a team player is nonesense.  In the past 5 years he has played on the right for a year, in the middle for a year, up front for 2, and anywhere inbetween for the rest.  Ive seen him at right back, at left back, and despite saying that its not his natural position, he has never sulked on the pitch, or let us down.

The problem has been that he is so far ahead of the rest when it comes to the impact he has on matches, that bad games are highlighted even more.  And an average game is classed as a bad one!!

It will be hard enough attracking the best players this summer as it is, why would a great player turn down a Barca, or a Chelsea to go to a club that fininshed 7th?  The name of liverpool FC is one thing, but even so, is it a bigger name nowadays than Barca, United, or even Chelsea?  If we go off names, then Blackpool will hae no problems this summer, with all players wanting to follow in the footsteps of Stanley Matthews!!!!

For the next level of players, we will be competing with the likes of City and Spurs.  Spurs can offer CL football, whilst City can offer cash, and the promise of a bright future.  If Liverpool start offloading our prized assets in Torres, Gerrard and Masch, then who is going to come with the same quality, no matter how much money we get?

The only way to build a better team is AROUND your best players, not instead of them.  Get rid of the dead wood, the 300 reserve team players who will never make it, and will be given away in 3 years having earned a fortune.  Get them off the wage bill.  Build a team with the right players in the right position.  Need a right winger? then dont buy a striker, Need a striker? Then dont buy a midfielder! 

This summer is crucial, we need players who WANT to play for Liverpool, but are also able to offer a consistent high standard.  We dont need quantity, we need quality, and getting rid of the few bits of quality we already have is just ludicrous!!!

I think this might be the first time me and CJ agree on something!!!!lol

Stevie has arguably on his own stopped us slipping down the league over the past 10 years.  I've missed very few home games in that time and i can safely say he's probably won man of the match in 50-60% of those games. Some of your comments Dude come close to Blasphemy!!

Offline Redman

• Settling in
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 24, 2010, 05:21:58 PM »

I agree with your post, christ am I going mad? :o agreeing with CJ whatever next? Anyway I chopped the part I really wanted to go on about. The only thing I see nowadays is football players out of touch with reality. You said we need players that want to play for LFC, most of them aren't really interested in the club/s anymore, they are only after a fat pay check. A lot of kids coming thru nowadays will all be thinking the same thing. Money has ruined the game. :(
“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.”

Nikola Tesla

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 24, 2010, 06:14:40 PM »
Alternatively sell Rafa for £30M and make Gerrard manager?
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 24, 2010, 08:35:17 PM »
Alternatively sell Rafa for £30M and make Gerrard manager?

Joking aside if Rafa did leave, my first choice to replace him would be Carra with King Kenny his assistant

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 24, 2010, 08:48:04 PM »
Joking aside if Rafa did leave, my first choice to replace him would be Carra with King Kenny his assistant

Who's joking?  ;D

Didn't Kenny try the same sort of thing with John Barnes at Celtic?

Kenny's best off staying where he is.

Alternatives are thin on the ground. Hodgson's being linked with Inter.

At least Mark Hughes is still available.  ::)

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 24, 2010, 09:16:47 PM »
Carra's no Johnny Johnny Barnes. Carra loves watching football 24/7. He knows the European game inside and out. I think he'll definately be our manager one day its just whether he needs to learn the trade as our assistant first.

Mark Hughes is a good manager but is an ex manc so he can stay away

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 24, 2010, 09:18:18 PM »
Anyone see Glen Johnsons goal for England? Belter

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 24, 2010, 09:37:48 PM »
Alternatively  sell Rafa for £30M and make Gerrard manager?

:o :o ;D and disrupt the  dream team of sammy lee and carragher.

Quote from: Kopite999 link=topic=713.msg10597#msg10597  date=1274713417
Stevie, as we speak, is working Steat sea level to plug the BP pipeline  leak off Amerika.  Stevie, at nights, is developing new technology to  counter global warming.  Our captain will fly directly to south africa  on Batmobile One.

Some of your comments Dude come close to Blasphemy!!

;D    it would be  boring if we all agreed on everything, Kopite.

Quote from: centenaryjonny link=topic=713.msg10593#msg10593  date=1274706903
we need players who WANT to play for Liverpool........we  don't need quantity, we need quality.

you're stating the bleedin obvious.

but let's be real here - we cannot afford the top tier players.

and also, do you think some kid from south america or mainland europe,  is coming to England because of his great love or knowledge for  Liverpool?   Could they even find the city on the map.

They come primarily because of the fantastic money and the opportunity.   And their da (or grandpa) has told them of our great history.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 24, 2010, 10:51:14 PM »
Carra's no Johnny Johnny Barnes. Carra loves watching football 24/7. He knows the European game inside and out. I think he'll definately be our manager one day its just whether he needs to learn the trade as our assistant first.

Mark Hughes is a good manager but is an ex manc so he can stay away

Carra doing a Bob Paisley, going from long serving player (though in Bob's playing days there were no such acolades as 'legend') to top class successful manager, is everybody's dream. Whether he could step straight in, on the balance of probabilities and football's history of failed top ex players as managers, it's doubtful, though if there's one player who's been on the clubs books in the last 20 years who you'd fancy to do it, it would be Carra.

I agree with you about Mark Hughes. He did an excellent job with Wales, considering the players at his disposal, likewise at Blackburn and his transfer record was pretty impressive too. It's hard to judge with City. Just how many signings were his and how much influence other people, like Gary Cook, had is hard to tell. Factor in the cash hungry modern footballer aspect and culture around City now and it's hard to say whether he could do the required job at a big team if there wasn't the same culture.

The Manc bit's not quite such a big deal for me, considering he spent time at Barca, and then finished his top flight career essentially, at Chelsea and the Manc thing becomes more diluted. I certainly don't see him in the same way as Bruce or Robson etc.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 25, 2010, 12:45:45 AM »
Liverpool's move for Rangers kid Danny Wilson in fresh doubt over new 'homegrown' rules

EXCLUSIVE By Peter Jardine
Last updated at 12:05 AM on 25th May 2010

Danny Wilson’s dream move to Liverpool has stalled — because the young Rangers defender does not meet a ‘homegrown’ quota system being introduced by the English Premier League.

Now the cash-strapped Ibrox club could lose out on up to £3million if the 18-year-old remains in Glasgow next season before leaving when his contract expires.

Sportsmail understands Wilson had proven particularly attractive to the Merseyside giants because they are planning for new regulations which will demand eight homegrown players in every topflight club’s 25-man squad.

Liverpool initially believed it applied to footballers from across the whole of the British Isles, but their interest has now cooled after it emerged only youngsters brought through at English and Welsh clubs will qualify.

This has forced a hitch in the projected Wilson deal, which had seen Liverpool offer a £2.5m down payment, with a further £1.5m in add-ons.

While it is believed they still want to sign the PFA Scotland Young Player of the Year, it will not be with the same urgency as before. Wilson has rejected all offers of an extension to his contract with Rangers.

And it’s understood that, if no agreement can be struck with Liverpool at the moment, he will resolve to remain at Ibrox next season before becoming eligible to sign a pre-contract elsewhere in January.

Any club signing Wilson would then have to pay only around £650,000 in compensation under FIFA rules relating to players under the age of 24.

FA Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore said: ‘All clubs must declare their 25-man squad at the end of August after the close of the transfer window.
‘No more than 17 of those players can be over the age of 21 and not home-grown.

‘The definition of homegrown is trained for three years under the age of 21 by somebody in the English and Welsh professional system. It is not in a club’s interests to stockpile players. It will make buying home-grown talent more attractive.’

Rafa Benitez has already started to adjust Liverpool’s staffing levels, with young Englishman Jonjo Shelvey signing from Charlton Athletic.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1281183/Liverpools-Rangers-kid-Danny-Wilson-fresh-doubt-new-homegrown-rules.html?ITO=1490

So why didn't we fully understand the rule before potentially unsettling the player and now leaving him high and dry?

Why just the English and Welsh professional systems? I realise that Welsh professional clubs play in the English leagues but by applying that same logic Scottish players should be included as Berwick Rangers (an English club) plays in the Scottish league. Time for a 'Berwick rule'.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 25, 2010, 12:49:26 AM »
if Carra had 20 more years of top level experience under his belt, then possibly yes.   Sir Robert Paisley learnt all the jobs at anfield, across his long career....before getting the nod.

as for mark hughes....good job at wales.....but beyond steadying mid table ships, or a top 6 finish at city, what has he won or achieved?

if being an ex manc isn't an issue, we'd be far better employing that dutch bloke, mclaren.

not for me tho.....it has to be o'neill, or a top senior european boss (hiddink too old tho I fear......pity).

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 25, 2010, 12:53:51 AM »
FA Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore said: ‘The definition of homegrown is trained for three years under the age of 21 by somebody in the English and Welsh professional system.’

fecking bizarre.

hasn't scudamore checked and noted that the uk is made up of england, scotland, wales and n. ireland?

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 25, 2010, 01:23:41 AM »
fecking bizarre.

hasn't scudamore checked and noted that the uk is made up of england, scotland, wales and n. ireland?

Too many bangs to the head falling off horses. Oops, that's Peter Scudamore. Still, even he'd do a better job.

Dude, it's all down to this ridiculous make up of the home countries FAs. There are 4 FAs, hence 4 votes with FIFA. However, I don't see why they can't, for Premier League purposes at least, include Scotland and Nord Ireland. Just because UEFA choose to ignore the constitutional make up of GB / UK and work to UEFA / FIFA affiliated FAs when forming their basis for what constitutes 'home grown' and what is a 'foreigner', doesn't mean the league licensed by the largest FA within the component countries of the UK has to follow suit.