December 02, 2020, 09:11:59 AM

Author Topic: Summer transfer window thread  (Read 142200 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: Summer transfer window thread
« Reply #120 on: May 25, 2010, 01:39:21 AM »
I don't see why they can't, for Premier League purposes at least, include Scotland and Nord Ireland. Just because UEFA choose to ignore the constitutional make up of GB / UK and work to UEFA / FIFA affiliated FAs when forming their basis for what constitutes 'home grown' and what is a 'foreigner', doesn't mean the league licensed by the largest FA within the component countries of the UK has to follow suit.   

excatly, Tes.

thing is, wales gets pulled in.....so why not the other UK countries.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 25, 2010, 06:17:25 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImZFPF9HNKo

we're linked with Brazilian striker, Tardelli....the lad is mid 20s,  has played in Europe.....presently with Atlético Mineiro in Brazil.

we are apparently close to making a bid of 6 million for him.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 25, 2010, 06:48:01 PM »
6 Million!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmmm so he's good at:
penalites....and cheeky ones at that...
stroke ins...
headers....
volleys....
simple tap ins...
running past the last defender and scoring...
and knee ins...

The rumour is out now...rafa should be on the plane to get his signature..
otherwise someone jump's in and will have him...

Anyone else remember how we dillied and dallied over a certain millito and look where he was on saturday night!!!

centenaryjonny

« Reply #123 on: May 25, 2010, 07:27:19 PM »
Dude, to me selling Stevie G makes no sense at all.

You're right that you dont really build a team around one player, but the spine of the team is its basis, and SG is integral to the spine of the team.

I dread to think where we would have been over the past 10 years without him.  No FA Cup in 2006 for certain and chances are no Istanbul, even if someone else had the skill, determination and nerve to score THAT goal against Olympiacos, I cant see us turning the final around without his heart.

If you are trying to build a team (ignore the fact that its so far taken 6 years to build this one) then you dont sell your best players.  Whats the point?  Would you really trust Rafa to find a replacement for Gerrard with £30m?  And if so, who?  Who else in the world can tackle, pass, shoot, cross and run as well as SG, and will also bring a love for the club and the city as big as his? 

The best and only way to build a team is to have 3 or 4 players who you can rely on to perform at a constantly high level, and add other players to it.  If Carra is the grit, and Torres the finesse, then Stevie is the heartbeat of the team.  Wherever you put him on the pitch, he will perform as good if not better than the man he replaces, so please Dude, I'm all ears tell me someone who is available, who wants to come and will cost £30m or less that can play DM, RW, CM, AM, and CF as good as Gerrard?

Or do you still want to build your team around your beloved Kuyt as you have previously said, who by the way is 30 in July, so surely must be shipped on along with the ancient Carra at 32!!!

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 25, 2010, 07:48:46 PM »
but your hero, arsene wenger, sold Vieira.   :P

and fergie very rapidly got rid of roy keane.

clubs move on.....organisations move on.

gerrard's value will plummet fast, like his stamina, once he gets on the far side of 30.

we always seemed to have to chase games, especially big ones, when stevie was at the heart of our midfield.  I can never recall that being such an issue under souness.

I much prefer a more disciplined central midfielder.

Souness, for me, was the king of midfielders.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 25, 2010, 08:23:00 PM »

gerrard's value will plummet fast, like his stamina, once he gets on the far side of 30.

we always seemed to have to chase games, especially big ones, when stevie was at the heart of our midfield.  I can never recall that being such an issue under souness.

Gerrard has very rarely played in the centre this year, and has been mainly used just behind the striker. When he has played in the middle we have looked like a much better team, solid and alot more creative. Since Alonso has left i've always said Gerrard should drop back. But our lack of strikers has meant that this hasnt been possible. Getting rid of Gerrard would dash any hope of finishing in the top 4 next year

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 26, 2010, 06:23:55 AM »
Who's joking?  ;D

Didn't Kenny try the same sort of thing with John Barnes at Celtic?

I seem to remember that at the time when Gerrard didn't sign for Chelsea in 2006...there was a lot of talk about how Gerrard would be groomed as a potential player manager by Benitez...if he goes off to Real Madrid...
I haven't seen any sign of this though...but i think a Gerrard and Dalglish double act would be something to consider...
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 06:32:02 AM by barticus »

centenaryjonny

« Reply #127 on: May 26, 2010, 11:24:07 AM »

Why is Wenger my hero?????

Anyway, yes Fergie sold Keane because he was a manager who knew what he was doing, he knew how to change a team to fit around its best players, he hasnt though sold Giggs or Scholes or Neville has he?  Players who have come up through the ranks who have experience and know what it means to play for their club.

By selling Gerrard you are losing one of the best assests both on and off the pitch the club has got, and I notice you have failed to offer up a replacement??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gerrard IS a central midfielder, and thats where he should be, hes not a striker, or a second striker, yet he does a good job there, the fact that Lucas is keeping him out of the centre says more about our wonderful manager than it does about anyone else!!

And why are we always 'chasing games'?  Could it be that with only one striker and often not the proper one, by playing 2 holding defensive midfielders regardless of the opositition, we are leaving our open to a sucker punch that means we have to 'chase the game' to get a result.  Meaning our players, especially the best ones have to push that bit harder each week possibly causing pulls and strains of the muscles.  Any coincidence that Torres, Gerrard and Yossi (probably our 3 best attacking options) who are called on each week to dig us out of another hole seem to always have strains and pulls??????????????????

Any coincidence that the same three have suffered their longest spells on the sidelines, (apart from broken bones) in their careers since playing under Rafa due to strains and muscle pulls????????

So again, I pose the question, who would you buy who shares ALL the qualities of Stevie for £30m?  A player who would come, and a player who would show the same determination and passion that he does?  I'm all ears!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 26, 2010, 11:54:32 AM »
It's understandable that Dude seems to be in a majority of one as far as letting Gerrard go but the reality in three years time of keeping him could be (and I paraphrase CJ here, only because his wording fits well) - "how can we afford to buy a player who shares ALL the qualities of Stevie?  A player who would come, and a player who would show the same determination and passion that he has?  I'm all ears!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Adductor problems rapidly increase with age, the signs are really not good already.

Best hope all round is that come circa 2013 we won't be worried about how we replace him. Either the replacement is already at the club ready to step up or we have the finance to bring in a suitable replacement.

Unfortunately, both sides of the argument have their merits, especially considering our current plight and the fact that damage is caused much more quickly than it's fixed and the Toxics have already been here more than 3 years.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 26, 2010, 02:15:16 PM »
thanks, Tes. 

I think Tes should be the leader of the Anfieldroad's coalition govt.

centenaryjonny

« Reply #130 on: May 26, 2010, 04:12:52 PM »
A close season love in, nice!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 26, 2010, 05:13:33 PM »
Ask nicely, and you never know.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 26, 2010, 11:41:50 PM »
A close season love in, nice!

I have lobbied Prime Minister Tes, in this coalition govt, to make you Minister or War.....and me, Minister of Peace, Love & Understanding.

You are looking after Iraq, while I'm taking it easy here, in the tropics, overseeing tobacco quality and high fliers.

;D

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 27, 2010, 12:18:51 PM »
I have pleasure in announcing an offer to CJ to become the minister for FACTS.  ;D

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 27, 2010, 03:31:34 PM »
I have pleasure in announcing an offer to CJ to become the minister for FACTS.  ;D

;D

And we know what happened to the last minister for facts.