November 26, 2020, 01:35:40 AM

Author Topic: Summer transfer window thread  (Read 141809 times)

centenaryjonny

Re: Summer transfer window thread
« Reply #135 on: May 27, 2010, 05:19:51 PM »
I greatfully accept, and shall soon be publishing both a pie-chart, and graph to illustrate my happiness!!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 27, 2010, 08:54:55 PM »
I greatfully accept, and shall soon be publishing both a pie-chart, and graph to illustrate my happiness!!

Bar charts aswell. All with plenty of pretty, sparkly colours. Welcome aboard.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 28, 2010, 10:04:24 AM »
Been linked with Simao.

Some papers suggesting it will be to replace Benni who will be off to Chelsea which if the Benni half of the story is true would be the final straw for me.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6176080,00.html

Atletico Madrid winger Simao Sabrosa has admitted his interest in playing in the Premier League amid reports Liverpool are planning an £8million bid.

The Portugal international has one year left on his contract in Spain and has been linked with a move to Anfield for many years.

Rafa Benitez is understood to be a fan and is in the market for a left winger, while Simao did his reputation no harm when starring in Atletico's Europa League semi-final victory over the Reds.

Liverpool could therefore make a move this summer and the 30-year-old has indicated that he is attracted by the prospect of switching to England.

Simao is quoted as saying in the Daily Star: "Nobody has spoken with me in the last days about this subject.

"I only say that some people in Madrid have suggested that Atletico are preparing my sale, but I don't know too much.

"I have always been interested in playing in the Premier League, but my head is in the World Cup and I have a deal with Atletico."

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 28, 2010, 10:42:56 PM »
Been linked with Simao.

Some papers suggesting it will be to replace Benni who will be off to Chelsea which if the Benni half of the story is true would be the final straw for me.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6176080,00.html

Atletico Madrid winger Simao Sabrosa has admitted his interest in playing in the Premier League amid reports Liverpool are planning an £8million bid.

The Portugal international has one year left on his contract in Spain and has been linked with a move to Anfield for many years.

Rafa Benitez is understood to be a fan and is in the market for a left winger, while Simao did his reputation no harm when starring in Atletico's Europa League semi-final victory over the Reds.

Liverpool could therefore make a move this summer and the 30-year-old has indicated that he is attracted by the prospect of switching to England.

Simao is quoted as saying in the Daily Star: "Nobody has spoken with me in the last days about this subject.

"I only say that some people in Madrid have suggested that Atletico are preparing my sale, but I don't know too much.

"I have always been interested in playing in the Premier League, but my head is in the World Cup and I have a deal with Atletico."

This is one of my beefs with Rafa. £8M is the rumoured price for a player with 1 year left on his contract. He is a year older than Benni.
So just what is the point? Very similar players, yet the player we already have is younger, premier league tried and tested and will we make more for Benni (which we should having only signed a contract last Summer) than it costs to buy Simao?

It just seems like buying and selling for the sake of it.

We need stability. All other aspects of the club are a mess. As we don't have the cash to massively strengthen then lets strengthen in other ways by making only essential changes, having as few new players to try to blend into the team/squad and work on continuity. Continuity brings a greater depth of understanding of the way each player plays and settled teams/squads tend to perform better. It's why Chelsea have continued to do well despite managerial changes as the playing staff has seen few changes in reality over the last 2-3 years. Likewise Arsenal. It's the reason they've easily remained in the top four despite spending less than they've made in sales as the bulk of the squad has remained stable with just a couple of outgoing players and an addition or two keeping the changes to a minimum.

With the exception of left back which definately needs to be a new addition, we can have a core of 15/16 players who have all been at the club for around 2 seasons with the exception of Johnson (no premier league settling in period required), Aquilani and Maxi (who have both shown promise). Aquilani and Maxi look as though if played consistantly will combine well with Torres, Gerrard and Benni, add in Johnson's attacking ability and that gives us a very promising attacking threat if played together constantly so the understanding can blossom further.   

wittsy

« Reply #139 on: May 28, 2010, 11:49:23 PM »
It says on Football365 thats he's a replacement for Riera... so it's gotta be an improvement. Should have been here a couple years ago when the rumours first popped up not now when he's 30.

Jas

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 29, 2010, 12:21:43 AM »
If we can cover the purchase with the sale of Riera then it's a definate improvement. His age isn't the end of the world. Age brings experience and as he's never been the quickest it's not one of his strengths he'll lose. As long as he can acclimatise to the Premier League, all things considered, he could be a solid addition.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 29, 2010, 12:24:40 AM »
This is one of my beefs with Rafa. £8M is the rumoured price for a player with 1 year left on his contract. He is a year older than Benni.
So just what is the point? Very similar players, yet the player we already have is younger, premier league tried and tested and will we make more for Benni (which we should having only signed a contract last Summer) than it costs to buy Simao?

It just seems like buying and selling for the sake of it.

We need stability. All other aspects of the club are a mess. As we don't have the cash to massively strengthen then lets strengthen in other ways by making only essential changes, having as few new players to try to blend into the team/squad and work on continuity. Continuity brings a greater depth of understanding of the way each player plays and settled teams/squads tend to perform better. It's why Chelsea have continued to do well despite managerial changes as the playing staff has seen few changes in reality over the last 2-3 years. Likewise Arsenal. It's the reason they've easily remained in the top four despite spending less than they've made in sales as the bulk of the squad has remained stable with just a couple of outgoing players and an addition or two keeping the changes to a minimum.

With the exception of left back which definately needs to be a new addition, we can have a core of 15/16 players who have all been at the club for around 2 seasons with the exception of Johnson (no premier league settling in period required), Aquilani and Maxi (who have both shown promise). Aquilani and Maxi look as though if played consistantly will combine well with Torres, Gerrard and Benni, add in Johnson's attacking ability and that gives us a very promising attacking threat if played together constantly so the understanding can blossom further.   

Agree with every word Tes. I think its shows a huge flaw in Benitez's make up to be falling out with someone like Benni.

If anything he should be deciding to play him every week. Drop Gerrard back next season and if we aren't playing two up front i see no reason why he cant start either behind Torres or on the left or right.

Hes guaranteed a goal every other game.

Ancelotti seems to see his worth.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 29, 2010, 12:30:15 AM »
It says on Football365 thats he's a replacement for Riera... so it's gotta be an improvement. Should have been here a couple years ago when the rumours first popped up not now when he's 30.

Jas

He would be there or there abouts with Riera. I thought Riera did very well in his first season until he seemed once again to have a falling out with the gaffer. It was down hill from there and this year was a write off for him.

If Simao can adapt to England it wouldnt be a bad buy.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 29, 2010, 10:36:55 AM »
ln the Red! Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez handed measly £5m summer transfer kitty

EXCLUSIVE By Chris Wheeler
Last updated at 11:22 PM on 28th May 2010

Liverpool co-owner Tom Hicks’ pledge to hand Rafael Benitez a ‘substantial transfer budget’ was in question last night after it emerged that the manager has no more than £5million to spend.

Despite three meetings with new Anfield chairman Martin Broughton, Benitez is still unsure if money generated from player sales will be made available to him for signings and remains wary of giving the go-ahead to deals that would see Yossi Benayoun, Ryan Babel, Albert Riera and Philipp Degen sold to foreign clubs.

Amid concern that it could take up to 18 months for Hicks and George Gillett to sell up as they hold out for £800m, and with Benitez’s own future still in some doubt, Liverpool are wide open to big offers for unsettled stars Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard.

Both players have indicated they will wait until after the World Cup before making any firm decisions and incoming Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho yesterday became the first to register his interest in Gerrard openly.

Benitez is desperate to keep hold of the pair, a feeling shared by the various factions that have emerged at Anfield as Liverpool have descended deeper into debt and internal chaos.
But opinion is split over whether it might make financial sense to cash in on at least one of the stars if it allows the club to make several new signings.

Javier Mascherano, Pepe Reina and Glen Johnson are the other players Benitez would be loath to lose, although problems over agreeing a new contract with Mascherano have left the Liverpool boss with no option but to consider sacrificing the Argentina midfielder to try and raise transfer funds.

On Wednesday, Hicks ruled out the possibility of selling Liverpool’s top players and promised ‘significant investment’ this summer which, he claimed, would mean the club’s gross and net transfer spending had doubled since he and Gillett took over three years ago.

Benitez is believed to be working to a budget of £4-5m. It is one of the reasons he has struggled to tie up a modest £2m deal for Rangers defender Danny Wilson, which would rise to £4m with add-ons.

The Liverpool boss has not always helped his own cause, however, with many fans still wondering why he paid £17m for Roma midfielder Alberto Aquilani last summer.

Aquilani ruled out a move to Juventus yesterday, insisting he wants to stay.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1282328/ln-Red-Liverpool-boss-Rafa-Benitez-handed-measly-5m-summer-transfer-kitty.html?ITO=1490

If this is true it makes a mockery of Hicks' claims about a ‘substantial transfer budget’ and "Since Moores ownership in the last three years including this summer we will have doubled both gross and net spending on players."
The other day Sky proved that the net spend under these pair was substanially less than Moores last 3 years.
If they can't give the manager a transfer budget of any significance, then it's imperative that he is able to keep every last penny he raises.
Afterall, Pursestrings claimed that the player costs, including transfers, had to be self sustaining and that no transfer income could be used to pay debts as the transfer account was ring fenced.
Re-investing all transfer income into new players is self sustaining.

Looks like more lies from the owners and management at the club.

Hopefully the media, come Sept 1st when the window shuts and we can see exactly what has been raised and (not) spent, will rip into these two vultures, and Pursestrings, in the same way they rip into Bentitez about his spending, and expose their lies to the fullest extent.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 29, 2010, 02:40:48 PM »
[
Hopefully the media, come Sept 1st when the window shuts and we can see exactly what has been raised and (not) spent, will rip into these two vultures, and Pursestrings, in the same way they rip into Bentitez about his spending, and expose their lies to the fullest extent.

Can't see the media ever playing fair...now i've been a critic of rafa's...mainly for his negative play...but the media always back big business and they always hate johnny foreigner...

the FACTS have been there in the first year that the 2 yankee scum profiteers bought the club.... and the media have said nowt...laughing at rafa as he's had to sell players to buy...if Ferguson had been anything other than a gin swigging british isles taciturn git then they would have turned on him decades ago...

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 29, 2010, 04:10:16 PM »
I agree with Tes.  We need consistency at the club.  All this chopping and changing ruins a club's ability to compete.

Simao may, or may not, do well in england.  But at 30 years of age, no thanks.

I am a fan of Rafa, by and large.  But for me, it will be the end of the road if he shows Benni the door.  I won't be able to defend the sale of such a superb player.

As for the media, I imagine this 5 million supposed budget, is just more lies......similar to the way the media skewed Hick's comments earlier in the year, to suggest that we were gonna 'spend big' come the summer. 

They just make stuff up, and manipulate quotes.  They honestly think they can get away with it, even in this internet age.  It just makes me stop taking such newspapers/journalists seriously.

On a similar vein, I was pissed off at James Lawton, of the Independent, latest anti-Liverpool article this week.  This season, that man has spent loads of time attacking the club in his weekly articles.  But rather than attack our owners, and the severe debt issues across football, he attacks Rafa (seemingly his pet hate) and now this week, Moores.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/james-lawton-moores-liverpool-lament-is-a-selfpitying-testament-to-football-mens-follies-1983747.html

if that link is too long, here is a shorter link

http://tinyurl.com/36nlhv3
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 30, 2010, 03:13:38 PM »
A story of when a blonde met a Chav:

Fernando Torres should sign for Tottenham if Liverpool are going to spend three years in transition, quips Sky babe (and Reds fan) Charlotte Jackson

By Sportsmail Reporter
Last updated at 12:13 PM on 30th May 2010

Sky Sports News babe Charlotte Jackson may be a Liverpool fan - but her views on Fernando Torres are unlikely to go down well at Anfield.

In an interview for the Mail On Sunday's Live magazine, the presenter admits even Tottenham Hotspur might be a better place for the Spain striker than on Merseyside.

Revealing a recent conversation with Liverpool chairman Martin Broughton, Jackson hardly got the feeling that Torres was untouchable as the club have been at pains to point out.

'I saw Martin Broughton at Chelsea's Player of the Year dinner, and he refused to tell me we weren't going to sell Torres, said the 30-year-old.

'He said: "We'll let him go to the World Cup. At the moment he's still on board, but it's going to take three years to turn the club around, and at his age..."

If it's going to take three years to turn the club around, that's going to coincide with the peak of his career, and he'll want to be playing in Europe. So he should probably go and join Tottenham.'

Sportsmail have already revealed that Chelsea - the team Broughton supports - are lining up a £70million bid for Torres, while Manchester City's interest was all-but-scuppered by their failure to qualify for Champions League football.

The former Setanta presenter also admitted it was difficult to be a calm impartial broadcaster when her team were in the news.

'It's hard not to react when your team is doing well,' she said. ;Celebrating on-air would not go down well. When Liverpool scored against Man Utd I couldn't resist a quick celebration - off the air - but I was warned not to, just in case I did it on-air by mistake.

'I mean, everyone supports a team and looks for them to win - the problem is that Liverpool are very high profile. If I supported Tranmere I could probably get away with it.'

However, she can be excused for cheering on England in South Africa this summer and will is optimistic about the country's chances.

''I think we will win the World Cup,' she said. 'Everyone always says we fall victim to the hype and the tension, but Fabio Capello has instilled a massive sense of confidence and self-belief.

'We've got a really good draw, although I am a bit worried about the game against the United States, purely because of first-match nerves.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1282615/Fernando-Torres-sign-Tottenham-says-Liverpool-fan-Charlotte-Jackson.html?ITO=1490

As Broughton's taking the club's money, as opposed to the Toxics', he could at least appear professional and committed to the club.

I wonder if this c*nt uses Virgin Atlantic exclusively aswell.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 30, 2010, 11:38:58 PM »
As Broughton's taking the club's money, as opposed to the Toxics', he could at least appear professional and committed to the club.

I wonder if this c*nt uses Virgin Atlantic exclusively aswell.

The club seems more rotten to the core by the day. Outside of Rafa theres not many at the club I trust.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 30, 2010, 11:49:53 PM »
The Benny story wont go away. And it looks as if he will go for a paltry 6 million. Rafa risks alienating himself from the fans after this one. If next season started like the last one ended I couldn't defend him much more if hes going to sell our best players for that sort of money.

Its one thing not having the resources to compete, its quiet another letting your ego and pigheadedness get in the way of your professional relationship with some of the team.

Of course there wont be any hope of Joe Cole coming in as replacement.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/may/30/joe-cole-chelsea-contract

Chelsea set to free Joe Cole and go after Yossi Benayoun

Joe Cole on England duty against Japan – the Chelsea midfielder looks set to leave the club on a free transfer. Photograph: Darko Bandic/AP

Chelsea have paved the way for Joe Cole's departure from Stamford Bridge by formalising their interest in the Liverpool midfielder Yossi Benayoun, with the Israeli confident a transfer can be completed over the next week.

An opening bid of £4m is understood to have been knocked back by the Merseyside club, though they have offered Chelsea encouragement that an improved offer of about £6m will secure the 30-year-old. Carlo Ancelotti is keen to sign the Israel international after talks with Cole's representative over a new deal reached an impasse, with the midfielder now expected to leave under freedom of contract next month.

Tottenham Hotspur, with a potential Champions League campaign ahead, remain favourites to secure Cole under the Bosman ruling, ending his seven-year stay in south-west London since a £6.6m move from West Ham United. The 28-year-old had hoped to gain an increase on his weekly wage to £100,000, but Chelsea are set upon restructuring financially and did not offer him improved terms.

Cole has not had a regular first‑team place at the Double winners under Ancelotti, and Benayoun will have to accept life as a squad player as well. His own fortunes at Liverpool dipped somewhat towards the end of last season to mirror those of the team, with his relationship with the manager, Rafael Benítez, steadily deteriorating to the point where Liverpool effectively sanctioned his departure in the closed season.

The move is surprising given that Benayoun, who had also attracted tentative interest from his former club West Ham United and Spurs, is two years older than Cole in a squad that is already considered to be ageing, though he does have pedigree in the Premier League.

The Israeli anticipates the completion of his move to Stamford Bridge over the next few days having indicated last week while on international duty that Chelsea were keen to sign him. "Ancelotti wants me for next season and now everything depends on Liverpool," he said. "Chelsea will have to pay some £6m, but I believe that, in the end, I'll be moving there."

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 31, 2010, 12:06:33 AM »
With Benny on the way and with the financial nightmare at the club im trying to decide what signings i would constitute as being a successful summers spending.

Aside from the Liege lad already signed i would consider Joe Cole on the free, Stephen Ireland / Van Der Vaart in the 10 million region and possibly Micah Richards aswell constituting a good summers work.

Thats with Benny (not willingly selling him), Degen, Aurelio, Babel leaving to raise the cash.

If Masch walked Id buy another striker aswell. Although we desperately need a left back too.