November 26, 2020, 12:21:37 AM

Author Topic: Summer transfer window thread  (Read 141766 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Summer transfer window thread
« Reply #150 on: May 31, 2010, 01:00:11 AM »
I thought Benni had signed a new contract last Summer. Him and Simao are the same age, very similar types of players, established internationals and yet Benni looks like being sold for less despite Simao only having a year left on his contract.

I'm with you Juan. We have the financial clout of a newly promoted Championship team or one of the Premiership's perennial relegation candidates, so why don't we start behaving like them and asking for top price. Sh!t, just for once, take a leaf out of our lords' and masters' book.

If Rafa's got a problem with him, tough. If he wants him gone, tough. Unless we get an amount for him that means we can get a replacement without having to put much to it, then Rafa needs to start acting like the well paid manager he is and not like some spoilt brat. Club before personality clashes.

If we're regarding him as a left sided attacker (he's not a winger and despite so many thinking it to be the case, in our formation we don't play wingers, in the traditional sense) then likely replacements such as Turan or Mata will cost into double figures and from a footballing perspective, he's third of three left sided players who could be sold. A very definate and distant third. Van de Vaart may be as close to Benni as we could afford but Benni is Premiership proven unlike VDV so that attracts a premium when setting the price, as does the fact it's Chelsea that's interested. Abramovich was only too happy to throw rubles around like cheap confetti previously, so if he wants one of our players, he can do 'a Shaun Wright Phillips version 2'.

As he can also cover two other positions his value to us, not just financially, is immense.

Rafa seems to have been infected with Parryitis.   
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 31, 2010, 01:44:17 AM »
I have no heart, or interest, in even thinking about new players to buy, when I think of the stupid sale of Benny.

If Benny goes, then as far as I am concerned, Benitez can go with him.

I will have lost all confidence in our manager, if such a sale goes through - considering the facts that: a) we are losing a top quality player at the height of his brilliance, b) we are further strengthening a key rival Chelsea and c) at a poxy six fuking million quid.......and d) we haven't a fecking hope in hell in finding a Benny replacement (of his quality) for 6 million.  Hell, 15 million wouldn't get you a replacement.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 31, 2010, 10:12:40 AM »
Hell, 15 million wouldn't get you a replacement.

15 million might get you a potentially quality unproven PL foreign replacement.

Premiership quality as a characteristic in a player alone should cost an extra 10 million. Oh wait it actually does but just not when your buying from Liverpool.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 31, 2010, 11:03:08 AM »
15 million might get you a potentially quality unproven PL foreign replacement.

Premiership quality as a characteristic in a player alone should cost an extra 10 million. Oh wait it actually does but just not when your buying from Liverpool.

We appear to offer discounts instead of adding on premiums. At this rate the sale of Riera, Benni and Babel will raise enough for us to bid for a 'Mathew Etherington'.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 31, 2010, 10:38:18 PM »
Apparently the presenter Charlotte Jackson who is at the center of the Martin Broughton / Fernando Torres comments has now denied any truth in the story whatsoever.

She announced on twitter;

“By the way, if you have read the Mail or Times article about Torres it’s complete nonsense. Never said anything about him or Tottenham!”

No chance of Martin Broughton denying it before now.

I just hope player unsettling stories like these arent emanating from inside Anfield!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 01, 2010, 12:03:08 AM »
So what's our chairman doing at a Chelsea players' award dinner?

Strange how they've been so quick off the mark with the Yossi bid (never been linked before) and they seem to know what sort of (derisory) bid Benitez would accept. I'm not suggesting anything, however..............

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 01, 2010, 12:14:58 AM »
So what's our chairman doing at a Chelsea players' award dinner?

Strange how they've been so quick off the mark with the Yossi bid (never been linked before) and they seem to know what sort of (derisory) bid Benitez would accept. I'm not suggesting anything, however..............

You couldnt make this stuff up Tes.

Two owners who dont speak, CP who is apparently very much trying to undermine Benitez (for what greater good or purpose i'm not sure), and then Martin Broughton a lifelong Chelsea fan brought in to oversee one of the most pivotal points in the clubs 118 year history. This has all the ingredients for a Hollywood blockbuster.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 01, 2010, 12:21:16 AM »
Someone at Anfield must be reading these boards  ??? or else they have decided to grow a pair and not accept the first offer for a change. Saying that 10 millions not enough and we have probably just played in to Chelseas hands and will now go on to meet somewhere in the middle.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1282954/Liverpool-demand-10m-Chelsea-wantaway-Yossi-Benayoun.html?ITO=1490

Liverpool demand £10m from Chelsea for wantaway Yossi Benayoun

By Sportsmail Reporter
Last updated at 11:08 PM on 31st May 2010

Liverpool will demand £10million from Chelsea for Yossi Benayoun in a bid to put them off a move for the Israeli.

Sportsmail revealed Chelsea's interest last month but, despite needing cash for players, manager Rafa Benitez does not want to sell to their main rivals and would prefer Benayoun to move abroad with another £6million offer already on the table from Spartak Moscow.

The problem for Benitez is that Benayoun, 30, wants the move to Chelsea and will push for a deal to be done.

Aston Villa have also shown interest as they weigh up possible replacements for Manchester City target James Milner.

Ironically, Milner is a player that Benitez would like to sign but can't afford with his current budget.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 01, 2010, 12:30:41 AM »
Benni is under contract so he stays until the fee is sufficient to make us decide to release him from that contract. £10M should be the floor price, not the ceiling one. Does Rafa not realise no other club is going to give their players away to us for peanuts? He needs to screw the maximum for every player sold. God, I hope he doesn't run the finances in the Benitez household. 

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 01, 2010, 12:34:21 AM »
You couldnt make this stuff up Tes.

Two owners who dont speak, CP who is apparently very much trying to undermine Benitez (for what greater good or purpose i'm not sure), and then Martin Broughton a lifelong Chelsea fan brought in to oversee one of the most pivotal points in the clubs 118 year history. This has all the ingredients for a Hollywood blockbuster.

It would be hilarious if it was any other club.

Another thing I don't understand is if Broughton is only in charge of the sale and it's Pursestrings that's supposed to be running the club 'day to day', what's Benitez doing having these meetings with Broughton, unless he's wanting to buy the club.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 01, 2010, 12:34:33 AM »

Aston Villa have also shown interest as they weigh up possible replacements for Manchester City target James Milner.

Ironically, Milner is a player that Benitez would like to sign but can't afford with his current budget.

Same old same old, Rafas never able to pick these players up when they are half the price but in need of someone to give them a chance. He was well within budget then.

It was the same before Aguero signed for Athletico, he was pleading to come to Liverpool and cost 14 million then.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 01, 2010, 12:39:01 AM »
It would be hilarious if it was any other club.

Another thing I don't understand is if Broughton is only in charge of the sale and it's Pursestrings that's supposed to be running the club 'day to day', what's Benitez doing having these meetings with Broughton, unless he's wanting to buy the club.

Lol if Rafa bought the club he would probably want to take over everyone's role. From cooking the breakfast to lining the pitch, LFC would be a one man show.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 01, 2010, 12:41:23 AM »
Same old same old, Rafas never able to pick these players up when they are half the price but in need of someone to give them a chance. He was well within budget then.

It was the same before Aguero signed for Athletico, he was pleading to come to Liverpool and cost 14 million then.

Add Gary Cahill to that list if all the links are to be believed.
£4.5M to Bolton in Jan 2008, £15M+ in Summer 2010.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 01, 2010, 12:43:25 AM »
Lol if Rafa bought the club he would probably want to take over everyone's role. From cooking the breakfast to lining the pitch, LFC would be a one man show.

As we're now a 'franchise' I'm sure we'd (he'd) have no problem changing the name to Benitez (un)United.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 01, 2010, 12:47:38 AM »
As we're now a 'franchise' I'm sure we'd (he'd) have no problem changing the name to Benitez (un)United.

That has a nice disharmonious ring to it