November 26, 2020, 12:23:49 AM

Author Topic: Summer transfer window thread  (Read 141767 times)

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Summer transfer window thread
« Reply #165 on: June 01, 2010, 12:53:53 AM »
All just speculation but I guess thats what this thread is for. I would say this report will be the story of our summer but i doubt very much we will be competing with any of the top 5 for anyone.   :'(

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/liverpool-to-lose-race-for-spanish-international

Liverpool to lose race for Spanish international
Liverpool - Javi Martinez could join Manchester City instead
By GMF Editor  May 31, 2010

Liverpool look set to miss out on Spanish international Javi Martinez.

The Athletic Bilbao youngster has impressed in La Liga after making his debut in 2006, and both Liverpool and Manchester City have been linked with a move for the 21-year-old.

It is reported that the Citizens are now favourites to land Martinez, with Mancini monitoring the former Osasuna midfielder for several months after admiting his interest in the player.

The Basque side paid €6 million for a then 17-year-old in four years ago, and Martinez instantly forced his way into Athletic's side in his first season at the club.

With over 150 appearances to his name, Martinez has experience in abundance and was linked with a move to Anfield last summer.

Rafa Benitez never made his move, and could now be priced out of the market for the versatile star with City reportedly ready to meet a buy-out clause in the player's contract.

The Daily Mail reports that Mancini could splash out around £18 million for the Spanish U21 skipper, who has forced his way into the national side for the World Cup in South Africa.

Benitez is expected to try and use his Spanish contacts in an effort to persuade Bilbao over a move to Merseyside, but the financial might of City could be too much for the Reds.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 01, 2010, 10:20:06 AM »
All just speculation but I guess thats what this thread is for. I would say this report will be the story of our summer but i doubt very much we will be competing with any of the top 5 for anyone.   :'(

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/liverpool-to-lose-race-for-spanish-international

Liverpool to lose race for Spanish international
Liverpool - Javi Martinez could join Manchester City instead
By GMF Editor  May 31, 2010

Liverpool look set to miss out on Spanish international Javi Martinez.

The Athletic Bilbao youngster has impressed in La Liga after making his debut in 2006, and both Liverpool and Manchester City have been linked with a move for the 21-year-old.

It is reported that the Citizens are now favourites to land Martinez, with Mancini monitoring the former Osasuna midfielder for several months after admiting his interest in the player.

The Basque side paid €6 million for a then 17-year-old in four years ago, and Martinez instantly forced his way into Athletic's side in his first season at the club.

With over 150 appearances to his name, Martinez has experience in abundance and was linked with a move to Anfield last summer.

Rafa Benitez never made his move, and could now be priced out of the market for the versatile star with City reportedly ready to meet a buy-out clause in the player's contract.

The Daily Mail reports that Mancini could splash out around £18 million for the Spanish U21 skipper, who has forced his way into the national side for the World Cup in South Africa.

Benitez is expected to try and use his Spanish contacts in an effort to persuade Bilbao over a move to Merseyside, but the financial might of City could be too much for the Reds.

This is where the Alonso money should have gone last Summer. Another ship that's sailed.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 01, 2010, 10:46:44 AM »
This is where the Alonso money should have gone last Summer. Another ship that's sailed.

agreed.

our transfer activity in the past 2 or 3 years has not been what it used to be (i.e. poorer than what it was in the first few years of Rafa's time at anfield).

for some reason, rafa has lost touch with his home market.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 01, 2010, 11:04:12 AM »
for some reason, rafa has lost touch with his home market.

- Pako Ayestaran - Paco Herrera + Eduardo Macia = disasterous transfer decisions

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 01, 2010, 11:15:38 AM »
Prem duo eye Real youngster

Last updated: 1st June 2010

Reds and Hammers linked with Opare loan

Liverpool and West Ham are competing with a host of clubs from across Europe for Real Madrid starlet Daniel Opare, skysports.com understands.

Opare is regarded as one of Africa's brightest talents and was spotted by Real early on as he moved to the Spanish capital in 2007.

The Ghana youngster was tipped to make the breakthrough from their Castilla side last term, but injury hampered his progress.

Now fully fit, the versatile full-back, who can also play anywhere in midfield, is now set to be allowed to move on loan next season.

This has alerted a string of clubs from across Europe, with England very much a potential destination with both Liverpool and West Ham understood to be keen on taking him.

Also keen to snap him up are the likes of Lyon, PSV Eindhoven, Club Brugge, Buraspor and Steve McClaren's Wolfsburg.

The player's representative Chris Nathaniel confirmed to skysports.com that interest in Opare was significant.

"Daniel is fully fit again now and is ready to play next season," he told skysports.com.

"Of course his injury means he will not be considered for Real's first-team but he hopes a spell on loan somewhere could help him come to the attention of Jose Mourinho.

"With that in mind, Daniel is now considering his options carefully as he has a number of options and he is already looking forward to pre-season training - wherever that may be."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_6183423,00.html

Interesting. If a loan move frees up cash to strengthen the left sided attacking role and striking positions, then so be it. This season is just about getting through it, hopefully getting back in the top four and hopefully start the season after next with a new owner. Only then can we start to rebuild and move forward.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 01, 2010, 05:30:58 PM »
No clue what this guys like. Anyone got any idea? I will hold fire on predicting how this guy will fair out if he signs.

http://community.footballpools.com/blog/2010/06/01/ever-banega-rafa-closing-in-on-85m-argentine-playmaker-for-reds/

Ever Banega: Rafa Closing in on £8.5M Argentine Playmaker for Reds

According to reports in both the Spanish and Argentine press, Liverpool are set to sign Valencia’s talented young midfielder Ever Banega for a fee of £8.5m as Rafa Benitez begins his rebuilding process at Anfield. The young Argentinean has been a long-term target of Benitez but also David Moyes who attempted to sign the 21-year-old on loan last summer. However, it would seem that Liverpool rather than Everton have won the race for his signature.

Last summer Everton attended a home office meeting in London to push through the necessary paperwork to seal a late transfer window move but the deal could not be agreed. The Toffees loss could be Liverpool’s gain as he could be a very exciting signing for the club and fill the role that was vacated by Xabi Alonso’s exit last summer.

The 21-year-old joined Valencia in January 2008 but after just 47 League appearances for the club (40 starts) the Spanish side are likely to offload the youngster. Valencia’s financial problems are well documented but they are set to take a loss on a player signed for £14m. Ironically, Banega has had his best season with the club after making 35 league appearances (33 starts which is a major breakthrough considering in his first season he only started seven league matches and then was loaned out to Atletico Madrid. However, despite a tough start to his time in Europe, Banega has shown enough talent to impress Rafa Benitez who is keen to bring him to Liverpool to join fellow Argentines Javier Mascherano, Maxi Rodriguez and Emiliano Insua.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 01, 2010, 05:51:24 PM »
Just wondering, what would you guys think of signing Raul on a free?

Just saw a report that he is weighing up his future at Real. I know we have been linked previously. His experience alone would worth a punt. Hes not the same player he once was but a model pro and with our transfer budget id snap him up. He could be our equivalent to when United signed Teddy Sheringham at 33.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 01, 2010, 08:36:06 PM »
Would be good to get him because he's better than ngog but his wages might be very excessive

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 01, 2010, 09:15:17 PM »
No clue what this guys like. Anyone got any idea? I will hold fire on predicting how this guy will fair out if he signs.

http://community.footballpools.com/blog/2010/06/01/ever-banega-rafa-closing-in-on-85m-argentine-playmaker-for-reds/

Ever Banega: Rafa Closing in on £8.5M Argentine Playmaker for Reds

According to reports in both the Spanish and Argentine press, Liverpool are set to sign Valencia’s talented young midfielder Ever Banega for a fee of £8.5m as Rafa Benitez begins his rebuilding process at Anfield. The young Argentinean has been a long-term target of Benitez but also David Moyes who attempted to sign the 21-year-old on loan last summer. However, it would seem that Liverpool rather than Everton have won the race for his signature.

Last summer Everton attended a home office meeting in London to push through the necessary paperwork to seal a late transfer window move but the deal could not be agreed. The Toffees loss could be Liverpool’s gain as he could be a very exciting signing for the club and fill the role that was vacated by Xabi Alonso’s exit last summer.

The 21-year-old joined Valencia in January 2008 but after just 47 League appearances for the club (40 starts) the Spanish side are likely to offload the youngster. Valencia’s financial problems are well documented but they are set to take a loss on a player signed for £14m. Ironically, Banega has had his best season with the club after making 35 league appearances (33 starts which is a major breakthrough considering in his first season he only started seven league matches and then was loaned out to Atletico Madrid. However, despite a tough start to his time in Europe, Banega has shown enough talent to impress Rafa Benitez who is keen to bring him to Liverpool to join fellow Argentines Javier Mascherano, Maxi Rodriguez and Emiliano Insua.

He has a bit  of a reputation as a hot head, but as he's an Argie I guess it comes with the territory. He should be able to cope with the physical side.
He's one of those that you would take a bit of a gamble on. Not sure that he's proved himself quite enough yet at Valencia, but if he did, a bit like Javi Martinez, he'd then end up out of our price range.

We're back in the territory of taking gambles on players that cost not exactly insignificant amounts (at least for us) that if they work will be viewed as a bargain, if they don't it's a big chunk of wonga down the pan for us.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 01, 2010, 11:00:19 PM »
Just wondering, what would you guys think of signing Raul on a free?

Just saw a report that he is weighing up his future at Real. I know we have been linked previously. His experience alone would worth a punt. Hes not the same player he once was but a model pro and with our transfer budget id snap him up. He could be our equivalent to when United signed Teddy Sheringham at 33.

I guess it depends on his wage demands, however on the plus side, it might persuade Torres to stay and as Raul wouldn't be playing all the time it would give the opportunity for Pacheco to get some games. He'd also be a great example for Pacheco to learn from. Master and apprentice sharing the duties.

That would probably mean the need to cash in on Aquilani (quick before the end of June then he would stand us at only an €8M outlay). I don't see him being able to cope in a central midfield position in the league and we simply can't afford to keep him on the bench (nice though it would be).

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 01, 2010, 11:06:39 PM »
Would be good to get him because he's better than ngog but his wages might be very excessive

You'd have to hope that hes past looking for major money and the attraction of the PL might see him accept a realistic wage.

Unfortunately i cant see it happening.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 01, 2010, 11:10:49 PM »
He has a bit  of a reputation as a hot head, but as he's an Argie I guess it comes with the territory. He should be able to cope with the physical side.
He's one of those that you would take a bit of a gamble on. Not sure that he's proved himself quite enough yet at Valencia, but if he did, a bit like Javi Martinez, he'd then end up out of our price range.

We're back in the territory of taking gambles on players that cost not exactly insignificant amounts (at least for us) that if they work will be viewed as a bargain, if they don't it's a big chunk of wonga down the pan for us.

I suppose if he is one of the managers top targets you would have to hope we can snare him.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 01, 2010, 11:19:55 PM »
I suppose if he is one of the managers top targets you would have to hope we can snare him.

It's maybe a signal of Masch's intentions.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 01, 2010, 11:23:48 PM »
I guess it depends on his wage demands, however on the plus side, it might persuade Torres to stay and as Raul wouldn't be playing all the time it would give the opportunity for Pacheco to get some games. He'd also be a great example for Pacheco to learn from. Master and apprentice sharing the duties.

That would probably mean the need to cash in on Aquilani (quick before the end of June then he would stand us at only an €8M outlay). I don't see him being able to cope in a central midfield position in the league and we simply can't afford to keep him on the bench (nice though it would be).

I think a signing like Raul would be a huge lift for the club and as you point out Tes there would be a bit of master and apprentice thing going on.

What would really set the summer transfers alight would be to snare Joe Cole too.

If you were selling Riera, Babel and a few more maybe selling Aquillani wouldnt be necessary.

After Raul and Cole,  Banega and a defender would leave me very pleased with the summers business.

Unfortunately whether we have money or not we tend to shop late in the summer or we tend to let everyone else who our targets are before missing out on them

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 01, 2010, 11:25:30 PM »
It's maybe a signal of Masch's intentions.

True. I think Masch's future depends on Fabregas though and thats a situation that doesnt look to like it will be resolved this side of the world cup.