November 26, 2020, 01:49:37 AM

Author Topic: Summer transfer window thread  (Read 141821 times)

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Summer transfer window thread
« Reply #180 on: June 02, 2010, 11:14:51 AM »
David Maddock in the Daily Mirror today is claiming Benitez has been told that there will be no money for him to spend this summer by the Anfield board.

He wont even be allowed to spend whats made through player sales.

Admittedly its the Daily Mirror so the validity of the story is questionable.

However if there is any truth to it then question marks over the likes of CP's intentions / motives have to be raised. This is something Jim has touched on before in his articles on the .com site.

Would the board be willing to put the need to strengthen the team in jeopardy for the sake of undermining Rafa in the hope that he will leave. Thats not putting the Club first   

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 02, 2010, 11:17:09 AM »
What would really set the summer transfers alight would be to snare Joe Cole too.

Without question he is exactly the sort of player we need, however I would be very concerned about his wage demands (we need to get the payroll back under the £100M a year mark as we simply can't afford such levels with our income/outgoings ratio as bad as is it is) and there's also a huge question mark over his injury history.
We simply can't afford to have players that can't be used due to long or frequent periods of injury. It makes no sense given our current financial plight to be paying out for players we can't use and in terms of squad depth we can't carry players like that, neither can we add to the squad depth in terms of numbers, again due to finances. There are probably four or five of the reserves we could rely on but we don't want to be using up places in the 25 man squad (under the new rules) who are over 21 if we're not likely to get a near on full season's usage from them.

If you were selling Riera, Babel and a few more maybe selling Aquillani wouldnt be necessary.

We certainly  need to raise enough for a left back and top quality wide left player. We'll probably need two wide left players if Babel, Riera and Benni all leave. Although Jovanovic 'can' play wide left, as he's mainly a striker he'll probably get plenty of time in that position, especially with Torres coming off a World Cup. His last two seasons of injury problems have both followed Summer tournaments, Euros and Confederations Cup. If Raul were to be signed, along with Pacheco and Lucas, who is better played further forward, Aquilani could be cashed in on, especially as I can't see him being used in a deeper midfield position as I don't think he can deal with the physicality of the league. Again the injury consideration has to come into play also.

Unfortunately whether we have money or not we tend to shop late in the summer or we tend to let everyone else who our targets are before missing out on them

Juan, I think that's entirely down to transfer cash flow, or rather lack of it. We can't afford to make our moves early, committing to further transfer payments and wages before getting players shipped out first. If we were to do our buying early and then not be able to sell certain players, we'd be expanding the payroll and taking on more in transfer payments than we could safely manage.
If we had an owner who would be prepared to put the money up up front and then be paid back when sales are made, or cover the transfer installments and wages of intended sales or the new players until sales are made and the money reimbursed, then we could move early, as we don't, we can't. Hamstrung every which way by the useless, know nothing turds that own us.

As for letting other teams know our targets, that tends to come more from the media, or the selling team trying to kick start an auction and again due to cash flow we can't move quick enough and get the deal done at the right price for both clubs before word gets out. 
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 02, 2010, 11:59:56 AM »
David Maddock in the Daily Mirror today is claiming Benitez has been told that there will be no money for him to spend this summer by the Anfield board.

He wont even be allowed to spend whats made through player sales.

Admittedly its the Daily Mirror so the validity of the story is questionable.

However if there is any truth to it then question marks over the likes of CP's intentions / motives have to be raised. This is something Jim has touched on before in his articles on the .com site.

Would the board be willing to put the need to strengthen the team in jeopardy for the sake of undermining Rafa in the hope that he will leave. Thats not putting the Club first   

IF there's any truth to it, then it's utter madness. If they don't want Benitez spending the money then they have to sack him. Hicks and Gillettt gave him the contract with whatever the terms are, therefore they should pay him off, not hamstring the club further. If they won't or can't sack him, he has to be given every penny raised through sales, either way we need changes to the squad. We can't go into a new season with a further weakened squad and a manager the board don't trust.
From the point of view of selling the club, Hicks and Gillett need to make it attractive to buyers. Weakening the team and putting further distance between us and the top teams in the league does not make us attractive.
Any new owner probably needs to build the stadium the two oinks have failed to do, that's a huge enough commitment anyway without looking to have to commit more funding to rebuild the team as a result of the neglect these two are now showing towards it.
Even if they intend to hang on and the sale is just a charade, they've no chance of increasing revenues off the pitch if the team are struggling.
As usual Hicks has overleveraged and adversely affected the ability of the 'business' to function and have the money to invest in the area of the business that needs strengthening.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 02, 2010, 02:46:28 PM »
who knows, maybe RBS is calling the shots re size of transfer budget.

but for the yanks, this will further ruin their asset.

without a transfer budget, Liverpool will never compete in the champions league again.....and most likely will at best be a top 8 club.

and if I were Rafa, I'd have to leave (even if I did lose all the money by breaking my contract).

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

wittsy

« Reply #184 on: June 02, 2010, 06:45:32 PM »
I just read that Benni is being used in a swap for Santa Cruz !!! Now that has to be untrue......................doesn't it ???

Jas

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 02, 2010, 06:47:13 PM »

and if I were Rafa, I'd have to leave (even if I did lose all the money by breaking my contract).

Rafa was lied to when he signed the contract...just as the yankee pondlife have lied all through their tenure...

what amazes me is that any contract with them is effectively worth nowt due to there being no clauses to actually make them follow through on these supposed promises (aka lies)...

how is this legal? Surely there must be some due process that they personally can be sued?

Maybe they're above the law?

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 02, 2010, 08:19:49 PM »
Rafa was lied to when he signed the contract...just as the yankee pondlife have lied all through their tenure...

what amazes me is that any contract with them is effectively worth nowt due to there being no clauses to actually make them follow through on these supposed promises (aka lies)...

how is this legal? Surely there must be some due process that they personally can be sued?

Maybe they're above the law?

Unless there were specific amounts stated in the contract then in reality no breach has been made. He can be given control of the transfer budget etc but if the budget he is given is only £5, then a fiver is all he has to control. It is very difficult to prove at an employment tribuneral that verbal promises were made and broken.
The toxics work week to week, month to month due to the lack of medium to long term credit facilities with RBS. From the accounts it would 'appear' that the last refinance was only until March this year. Whether there was another short term arrangement made to July, who knows. RBS gave Broughton and the Premier League 'non-binding assurances' as to us having the finances to complete our fixtures this coming season but that hardly seems like a refinancing agreement over a determinate period. It seems more a case that RBS simply haven't asked for full or part repayment of the £237M or whatever it currently is outstanding as long as they are satisfied the club is up for sale and as the capital remains outstanding a higher than normal interest rate is probably being charged whilst ever it remains unpaid. 

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 02, 2010, 10:21:51 PM »
IF there's any truth to it, then it's utter madness. If they don't want Benitez spending the money then they have to sack him. Hicks and Gillettt gave him the contract with whatever the terms are, therefore they should pay him off, not hamstring the club further. If they won't or can't sack him, he has to be given every penny raised through sales, either way we need changes to the squad. We can't go into a new season with a further weakened squad and a manager the board don't trust.
From the point of view of selling the club, Hicks and Gillett need to make it attractive to buyers. Weakening the team and putting further distance between us and the top teams in the league does not make us attractive.
Any new owner probably needs to build the stadium the two oinks have failed to do, that's a huge enough commitment anyway without looking to have to commit more funding to rebuild the team as a result of the neglect these two are now showing towards it.
Even if they intend to hang on and the sale is just a charade, they've no chance of increasing revenues off the pitch if the team are struggling.
As usual Hicks has overleveraged and adversely affected the ability of the 'business' to function and have the money to invest in the area of the business that needs strengthening.

Its all making sense now Tes.

If Rafa goes the Summer Transfer Window thread will take a new direction. God only knows what that will mean for the likes of Riera, Benny etc.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 02, 2010, 11:02:42 PM »
I hope Reira will still be thrown head first through the Summer transfer window.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 02, 2010, 11:38:35 PM »

to be honest, Barticus, I don't think Rafa wanted a new extended contract, to merely have such verbal promises (re transfer budget) in place.

No, just like the bride who gets married, she's ow legally in the money.  Rafa's extension gave him that guaranteed legal bounty too.   
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 03, 2010, 09:27:40 AM »
to be honest, Barticus, I don't think Rafa wanted a new extended contract, to merely have such verbal promises (re transfer budget) in place.

No, just like the bride who gets married, she's ow legally in the money.  Rafa's extension gave him that guaranteed legal bounty too.   

Dude, I'm not convinced about this £16M pay off. There will obviously be some sort of agreed termination package, afterall it's only normal people who get sacked without reward.
I can't see a set figure being put in his contract, nor can I see the remainder of his contract being paid up in full. Why would any employer agree to pay up a fixed term contract on termination, especially as you also have to pay the replacement for that same period of time.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 03, 2010, 03:50:12 PM »
Dude, I'm not convinced about this £16M pay off. There will obviously be some sort of agreed termination package, afterall it's only normal people who get sacked without reward.
I can't see a set figure being put in his contract, nor can I see the remainder of his contract being paid up in full. Why would any employer agree to pay up a fixed term contract on termination, especially as you also have to pay the replacement for that same period of time.

agreed, Tes.

Surely, with Rafa going to a new job immediately, at a similar wage level, it would be entirely unreasonable to expect him to *also* simultaneously pick up what he would have earned at anfield, during the same period.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 05, 2010, 11:33:39 PM »
Just wondering, what would you guys think of signing Raul on a free?

Just saw a report that he is weighing up his future at Real. I know we have been linked previously. His experience alone would worth a punt. Hes not the same player he once was but a model pro and with our transfer budget id snap him up. He could be our equivalent to when United signed Teddy Sheringham at 33.

Juan, I would guess the odds on Raul have lengthened somewhat now, and the odds on Danny Murphy making a return could be shortening.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 05, 2010, 11:39:06 PM »
Juan, I would guess the odds on Raul have lengthened somewhat now, and the odds on Danny Murphy making a return could be shortening.

Spud. He was probably one of the players Rafa should have kept. He was certainly better than some of the players he bought.

Your right though Raul is definitely not going to arrive now.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 05, 2010, 11:45:10 PM »
Spud. He was probably one of the players Rafa should have kept. He was certainly better than some of the players he bought.

Your right though Raul is definitely not going to arrive now.

Totally agree, Juan. Danny should have been kept a lot longer than he was. Some of Rafa's early decisions reminded me a bit of when Souness came in. In some cases the decks were swept with too much haste.