November 26, 2020, 12:55:32 AM

Author Topic: Summer transfer window thread  (Read 141784 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Summer transfer window thread
« Reply #240 on: July 01, 2010, 01:19:44 PM »
De Jong to join SWP on City scrapheap

Published 23:00 26/06/10  By Simon Mullock

Nigel De Jong is set to become a shock casualty at Manchester City following the Blues’ £24million capture of Yaya Toure.

The Dutch international ­arrived at Eastlands just 17 months ago in a £16m deal from Hamburg.

But his future is in serious doubt after Roberto Mancini made Toure his first big-name signing of the summer after finally agreeing a deal with Barcelona for the Ivory Coast international.

City now have four defensive central midfielders – with Gareth Barry and Patrick Vieira also in Mancini’s squad – and Vincent Kompany has also been used in that role.

That could make De Jong surplus to requirements, even though he has become a cult hero with the City fans after some tenacious displays.

There would be no shortage of interest in the 25-year-old, who is anchoring Holland’s midfield at the World Cup.

Mancini is ready for a major clear-out of players once he has recruited the signings he has earmarked.

Sunday Mirror Sport revealed two weeks that Barcelona’s Brazilian full-back Dani Alves is on City’s radar, with the world’s richest club ready to pay £40m.

Alves’s arrival would ­enable Mancini to listen to offers for Micah Richards and Nedum Onuoha. Spurs want Richards, while Sunderland and Everton are ready to vie for Onuoha.

Fans’ favourite Shaun Wright-Phillips, who has failed to agree a new ­contract with City because of his wage demands, may find himself out in the cold if ­Valencia’s £30m-rated ­winger David Silva can be tempted to Manchester.

City also hope to tie up a £25m deal with Aston Villa for James Milner after the World Cup, which would signal the end of unsettled Stephen Ireland’s stay at Eastlands.

Liverpool and Everton both want the midfielder.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Nigel-De-Jong-could-be-sold-from-Manchester-City-to-make-way-for-Yaya-Toure-article496043.html

He wouldn't be a bad shout if/when Masch goes.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 01, 2010, 06:29:56 PM »
'We don't need to sell players'

1st Jul 2010

Martin Broughton is optimistic players like Javier Mascherano, Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres will stay at the club this summer.

The Chairman was quizzed on the influential trio's future at Roy Hodgson's unveiling as Liverpool manager on Thursday afternoon.

He said: "I haven't personally had any conversations with them but conversations have taken place and we remain optimistic on that.

"I know there are rumours out there about the club needing to sell players. If I can just go on record again and say they are not for sale, we don't need the money. We don't have any desire or need to sell players in order to pay down the debt."

Asked if money from any player sales would be available to Hodgson for transfers, Broughton replied: "Yes, it will."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/we-don-t-need-to-sell-players

Time will tell.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 01, 2010, 06:38:02 PM »
I take everything that our owners, and their agents, say, with a pinch of salt.

up is down, north is south, black is white.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 02, 2010, 10:29:45 AM »
Maybe we don't need to sell to pay down debt, but we sure as Hell do to generate a transfer fund worthy of it's name.

wittsy

« Reply #244 on: July 03, 2010, 07:05:59 PM »
Gossip says Uncle Woy is looking at the Japanese lad Endo (who looked ok in the WC) and Real wing back Royston Drenthe who is valued at £9 (who is a very interesting young Dutch player). I don't expect these players to arrive but it is nice to see us linked with players at last.

Jas

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 03, 2010, 07:32:44 PM »
Every transfer window we get linked with Drenthe. I like the idea of signing him but have got bored of us getting linked with him and nothing happening.

I read somewhere today Madrid are offering Gago and van der vart for Gerrard. Throw in Diarra who was at portsmouth aswell and u might get close.

But for the first time i actually think stevie might stay. Carra seems to think the captain and Torres will give it another season season. So thats good enough for me.

P.S Come on the Spaniards tonight. After they won the Euro's we went on and had our best season for a long time. Hope the same happens again

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 03, 2010, 11:28:49 PM »
Roy Hodgson wants Ashley Young to lead Anfield revival

By Joe Bernstein Last updated at 10:49 PM on 3rd July 2010

Aston Villa winger Ashley Young is top of Roy Hodgson's wishlist as he tries to add British players to his Liverpool team.

Hodgson, who has strongly denied that he is not a big enough name to persuade Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres to stay, will try to find out this week if Villa manager Martin O'Neill is willing to let Young leave.

The winger, who celebrates his 25th birthday on Friday, made a big early impact at Villa following a £10million move from Watford in 2007.
But inconsistency last season meant he missed out on going to the World Cup with England.
Liverpool have sold Yossi Benayoun to Chelsea for £6.5m and replaced him with 29-year-old Serbia World Cup player Milan Jovanovic, a free agent. Hodgson could also sell Javier Mascherano to Barcelona for £25m and bring in Brazil's Gilberto Silva at a fraction of the price.

He said: 'We would be foolish not to be aware of the importance of homegrown players with the way UEFA and Premier League rules are going. Otherwise we're going to struggle to get our squad numbers together.

'I think the club have been trying to do that already with younger players like Jonjo Shelvey and Raheem Sterling but it takes time for them to come through so we might have to go into the transfer market.'
Hodgson is anxious to sort out the futures of Torres and Gerrard but if the Liverpool and England skipper decides to join Jose Mourinho at Real Madrid, Liverpool want Holland forward Rafael van der Vaart in part-exchange.
The manager turned down the chance to sign Jovanovic for a fee when he was at Fulham but sees him as a good capture on a free transfer.

He said: 'We have furnished the World Cup with more players than any other team but looking at the squad at Melwood, it did seem very small in terms of seniors.'

[/b]

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1291775/Roy-Hodgson-wants-Ashley-Young-lead-Anfield-revival.html

If he could do for Ashley Young what he did for Murphy and Zamora, it could be an interesting purchase.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 04, 2010, 12:04:32 AM »
ashley young could be an interesting signing.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

wittsy

« Reply #248 on: July 04, 2010, 10:59:31 AM »
I also see he's after Steven Taylor and asked Newcastle if he can talk. Could be an interesting signing but that would be 5 senior CB's plus the younger lads trying to push into the team. Could this be a sign of a player leaving ???

It also says that if Masch leaves they may look at Gilberto Silva...........hmmmmm.

There seems to be a rush of activity so I wonder just how much is being made up by the press. Most I would assume.

Jas

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 04, 2010, 11:20:04 AM »
I also see he's after Steven Taylor and asked Newcastle if he can talk. Could be an interesting signing but that would be 5 senior CB's plus the younger lads trying to push into the team. Could this be a sign of a player leaving ???

It also says that if Masch leaves they may look at Gilberto Silva...........hmmmmm.

There seems to be a rush of activity so I wonder just how much is being made up by the press. Most I would assume.

Jas

Steven Taylor. Please Roy, for the love of god, I beg you, don't do it. I'd rather have Steven Tyler than Steven Taylor.

wittsy

« Reply #250 on: July 04, 2010, 11:39:51 AM »
Steven Taylor. Please Roy, for the love of god, I beg you, don't do it. I'd rather have Steven Tyler than Steven Taylor.

lol

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 04, 2010, 01:29:36 PM »
Micah Richards seems to be available with a price in todays papers of 7mill. I think Hodgson could get the best out him. Might be worth a punt

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 04, 2010, 06:27:23 PM »
I also see he's after Steven Taylor and asked Newcastle if he can talk.

I've seen him grunt a few times on match of the day.

wittsy

« Reply #253 on: July 04, 2010, 08:54:21 PM »

lol

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 04, 2010, 10:53:55 PM »

As a Geordie AND a footballer to have mastered grunting is a fair feat. Still don't want him.

I was impressed with the pair of Mensahs that were the central defensive partnership for Ghana.

Having a Mensah would give us the most intelligent defence in the league. Beats Steven 'Grunt' Taylor any week of the day.