November 26, 2020, 12:36:41 AM

Author Topic: Summer transfer window thread  (Read 141772 times)

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Summer transfer window thread
« Reply #300 on: July 10, 2010, 11:40:52 AM »
http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/the-22-names-linked-to-lfc

The 22 names linked to LFC

Paul Scharner

Wigan utility man Paul Sharner is out of contract and looking for a new club. The first Latics player to ever reach 100 Barclays Premier League games, he spent almost five years at the JJB Stadium in which he played almost every outfield position.

Does Roy have alzheimer's and still think hes managing Fulham. Paul Scharner. Dear God.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 10, 2010, 12:03:07 PM »
As much as i agree that some players arent fit to wear the shirt, Roy is in a job that nowadays requires some wheeling and dealing (Del-Woy!). I think now is the time to build a squad with premiership experiance rather than starlet young foreigners

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: July 10, 2010, 01:04:57 PM »
Does Roy have alzheimer's and still think hes managing Fulham. Paul Scharner. Dear God.

Not alzheimer's but Scharneritis.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 10, 2010, 01:13:33 PM »
I would sooner keep the likes of Insua or use reserve team players in positions than buy players just to make up the numbers.

So Roy if they are not going to improve the first team then dont buy them! Save your money for players who will.

Exactly, I'd rather the youngsters be given a chance - who knows we might be pleasantly surprised.
Even if they don't measure up, we're still better off than spending on low cost 'established' players who will cost more in wages and are loss making when shipped out. Let's keep what money we have until the manager sorts out a new chief scout and we can hopefully start picking up Hyypias and Arbeloas etc rather than Dossenas, Pennents, Keanes and Rieras. 

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 10, 2010, 03:11:05 PM »
Its ok saying giving the youngsters ago Tes but have you actually watched any reserve games in the past couple of years?  Kelly and Pacheco could possibly step up next year but thats it. Hardly a youth revolution. Ngog was used quite abit last season but apart from the odd goal he was out of his depth and its unfair to rely on him so heavily because he then gets criticised by all quarters and this is likely to do more harm than good. By all means blood them from the bench but to expect our youngsters to start and make an instant impact given our current crop is misguided. I'd like to see a squad of 25 decent premiership players who can do a job rather than 40 players where 10 or more are young foreigners. I wont list them but the amount of youngsters from abroad that have come to melwood and not made an impact, and after a couple of years returned home is outrageous. This was one part of Rafa's reign i didnt appreciate

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 10, 2010, 04:20:42 PM »
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 11, 2010, 12:09:04 AM »
Its ok saying giving the youngsters ago Tes but have you actually watched any reserve games in the past couple of years?  Kelly and Pacheco could possibly step up next year but thats it. Hardly a youth revolution. Ngog was used quite abit last season but apart from the odd goal he was out of his depth and its unfair to rely on him so heavily because he then gets criticised by all quarters and this is likely to do more harm than good. By all means blood them from the bench but to expect our youngsters to start and make an instant impact given our current crop is misguided. I'd like to see a squad of 25 decent premiership players who can do a job rather than 40 players where 10 or more are young foreigners. I wont list them but the amount of youngsters from abroad that have come to melwood and not made an impact, and after a couple of years returned home is outrageous. This was one part of Rafa's reign i didnt appreciate

Kopite I agree with what your saying in theory but we just don't get those decent Premiership players or players that could hack it in the Premiership. Instead we waste millions on the Riera's, Degens, Dossena's, Pennants etc. I realise we're pretty sparse in the reserve ranks but the whole reserve setup in this country is woeful. 19 games a season is a joke. If Duran could stay fit, I'd rather see him, whether he sinks or swims, than the likes of Paul Scharner. Mark Noble is one who would improve massively if surrounded by better players. No doubt he'll join the list of players we've overlooked.

The Academy to reserves to first team progression has been a victim of both the political infighting at the club and the woeful reserve set up the FA has presided over. I realise that clubs can't have B teams like in other countries, mainly due to the sheer amount of professional clubs this country perversely has in comparison to other major European footballing nations. There is therefore a greater need and no reason why there can't be a properly run reserve setup in this country. The Central league used to work fine.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 11, 2010, 04:58:09 PM »
I completely agree about the reserve set up. There was a point in the season where our reserves didnt play for a couple of months for various reasons. Hows this going to help their development? Unfortunately clubs seem to want to maximise what they can afford for player salaries rather than invest in youngsters

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 11, 2010, 11:37:50 PM »
The problem is they can't afford the fees they're paying out, hence the debt levels amongst Premier League clubs.

The other problems we have in this country are the ridiculous work permit rules for footballers and the youth recruitment rule that means the player has to live within 30 minutes of the club.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 13, 2010, 11:05:22 AM »
Cisse targets future Liverpool return

July 13, 2010

Former Liverpool striker Djibril Cisse admits he would relish a dream return to the club, and insists that he never got the opportunity to prove himself at Anfield.

Cisse, currently plying his trade with Greek side Panathinaikos, joined Liverpool for £14 million in 2004, having been singned by Gerard Houllier just before he was replaced by Rafael Benitez.

He struggled to make an impact under Benitez and his first season was cut short by an horrific leg break, though he returned to lift the Champions League - netting a penalty in the shootout victory over AC Milan.

A move back to France with Marseille followed in 2006, before he returned to England on loan with Sunderland. After the Wearsiders declined to sign him permanently he moved to Greece, where he flourished last season, scoring 23 goals.

And now Cisse, who was part of the France squad that endured a torrid World Cup, has revealed that he would love another opportunity to prove himself in the Premier League with the Merseysiders.

"At Liverpool I didn't have my chance," Cisse said. "At Sunderland I had a good time but I fancy coming back to Liverpool - that would be nice.

"I like Arsenal because my friends are there, Manchester is nice, but my club is Liverpool. From my point of view, England is one of the best if not the best place to play football."

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=808455&sec=england&cc=5739

Would he be worth a punt if the price was right?

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: July 13, 2010, 11:33:22 AM »
I like the fact in an interview shown on sky sports news today he said Liverpools his team and he'd love to come back. He would definately make an impact from the bench and give us alot more depth up front. But he would be 2nd choice behind Torres and would he accept spending most of the time on the bench? Because i dont think Torres and Cisse could play together

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: July 13, 2010, 12:56:26 PM »
I like the fact in an interview shown on sky sports news today he said Liverpools his team and he'd love to come back. He would definately make an impact from the bench and give us alot more depth up front. But he would be 2nd choice behind Torres and would he accept spending most of the time on the bench? Because i dont think Torres and Cisse could play together

It would take some work but as both players pull wide sometimes we'd have one pull wide and one central. He also scored a lot of goals when Rafa played him on the right.

Considering his injury problems and the fact that this was his third Summer tournament (all the way to the finals in each) in a row, I don't see us getting anything like a full season from Nando anyway. As always, it depends on the price, but having a player that positively wants to play for us is a definate positive.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 13, 2010, 01:00:17 PM »
Internazionale move 'has a magical taste' for Javier Mascherano – agent

Press Association - guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 13 July 2010 12.06 BST

Javier Mascherano's agent claims the Liverpool midfielder would jump at the chance of a reunion with Rafael Benítez at Internazionale.

The Argentina captain is reportedly one of the top transfer targets for Inter this summer. And Mascherano's agent Walter Tamer has done little to quell the speculation, telling Italian newspaper Corriere dello Sport: "Mascherano has not spoken to [the new Liverpool manager Roy] Hodgson nor with Liverpool. After the World Cup, he has switched off but it's clear that he is happy to be a target of top clubs in the transfer market.

"Last season, it was the European champions Barcelona that wanted him and this year it's Inter, the current Champions League winners. For him to be linked to Inter has a magical taste ... it's a dream. Think about it – the strongest team in the world wants him, a team where many of Mascherano's compatriots play and a side that is guided by a coach with whom Mascherano has a personal bond."

Mascherano is under contract with Liverpool until June 2012, which Tamer admitted is a potential stumbling block. "If it was up to Mascherano, the negotiations [with Inter] would be very easy," said Tamer. "But he has a contract with Liverpool and first the two clubs would have to find an agreement before we step in."

Tamer claims 26-year-old Mascherano was the subject of an offer from Barça last summer. "Last year [former Liverpool coach] Benítez turned down a lot of money offered by Barcelona for the player but this is a different market," Tamer said. "I have not been informed what Mascherano's buy-out clause is. I await a call as I am the only one authorised to speak of his eventual transfer."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jul/13/internazionale-javier-mascherano-liverpool-agent

I wonder if his wife knows of his 'dream' or maybe there's a much larger Argentinian population in Milan than I had realised.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 13, 2010, 06:59:55 PM »
Lecce offer £1million for  Liverpool youngster Krisztian Nemeth after failing to break through at Anfield

By Sportsmail Reporter and Ashley Gray  Last updated at 4:06 PM on 13th July 2010

Lecce have made a £1million bid for Liverpool youngster Krisztian Nemeth.

The 21-year-old came to England from MTK Hungaria amid much fanfare three years ago, with the Reds' official website still describing him as 'one of the most exciting prospects on Liverpool's books'.

However, Nemeth has failed to break through to the first time despite impressing for the reserves and he spent last season on loan at AEK Athens - scoring three goals in 18 appearances.
Lecce hope to sign him as part of plans to build a squad capable of staying in Serie A.
Nemeth has impressed as a youth international and helped Hungary to third place at the Under 20 World Cup last year. In May he won his first full international cap during a 3-0 defeat by Germany.
Meanwhile, Flamengo have joined the race to sign Liverpool reserve keeper Diego Cavalieri.
The Rio de Janeiro side are in a stronger position to meet the Brazilians wage demands than rivals Santos and Corinthians, but none of the suitors want to pay a fee for a player who still has two years to run on his Anfield contract.

Reports in Brazil say Ronaldinho has verbally agreed terms on an £85,000 a week deal with Flamengo. The club face difficult negotiations with AC Milan to try to agree a fee, but it is claimed there is a clause in his contract allowing a free transfer in January.

The 30-year-old, who has enjoyed his summer vacation in Rio, has 12 months to run on his current Milan deal.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1294345/Liverpool-youngster-Krisztian-Nemeth-offered-1m-Lecce-failing-break-Anfield.html

So just what exactly is the idea behind our academy?

Answers on a postcard (for those of us old enough to remember) or alternatively txt 666 (texts will cost £1,500 plus network charges - all proceeds to go towards Tom and George's favourite charity, RBS)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: July 13, 2010, 09:27:19 PM »
Liverpool linked with £10m Defour

Tuesday 13th July 2010

Liverpool are linked with a move for Standard Liege captain Steven Defour, according to reports in the Belgian press.

The Belgian international is thought to be on the verge of leaving the Belgian giants despite recently signing an extension with the club.

The 22-year-old, who was out of action for much of last season with an injury, is still highly rated in European football and is expected to command a fee of around £10 million.

Manchester United and Real Madrid are also reportedly interested in the versatile midfielder.

Defour could join former team-mate Milan Jovanovic should he make a move to Anfield.

http://www.espnstar.com/football/premier-league/news/detail/item466267/Liverpool-linked-with-%C2%A310m-Defour/

Please let this be true. If we can add Ever Banega of Valencia, Raul Meireles of Porto or Miguel Veloso of Sporting Lisbon with Masch's money and if we could get Mark Noble for the same fee we sell Lucas for (looks like a serious possibility) then we'd have an improved midfield with a better balance of creativity and defensive capability.