December 02, 2020, 09:29:12 AM

Author Topic: Summer transfer window thread  (Read 142202 times)

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Summer transfer window thread
« Reply #330 on: July 17, 2010, 01:09:27 PM »
Jim Boardman has alot to say about Purslow on his .com site and by all accounts he is has his own agenda.

And if he is forcing player signatures and sales its only a matter of time before the managerial situation blows up again.

What worries me is Purlows influence as to who the club is sold to. I would fear he would influence selling the club to someone that retains him in his position rather than the investor with the clubs bests interests at heart.

It could be argued thats what Parry did when choosing the yanks over DIC and we know how that turned out.

If Roy doesnt want Remy then Roy should not have to waste 12 million of his slender transfer budget to do so.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: July 17, 2010, 01:21:58 PM »
Remy makes three, along with Insua and Lucas. Benni we'll put down to Pursestring's carrying out Rafa's wishes.

If we're going to have a director of football type position at the club then it needs to be someone with a football background like Kenny.

The MD / CEO's involvement should to be buy and sell the players the manager wants if the money is available. His involvement as far as individual purchases and sales go should be to obtain to highest price possible for any player that is to be sold (especially in our financial position) and to acquire players at the lowest cost (both transfer fee and wages) possible. Of course he can discuss valuations with the manager and in extreme cases veto a purchase if the price becomes too inflated (the Simao situation for example), but he shouldn't be deciding on who is bought or sold.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: July 17, 2010, 01:28:46 PM »
Remy makes three, along with Insua and Lucas. Benni we'll put down to Pursestring's carrying out Rafa's wishes.

If we're going to have a director of football type position at the club then it needs to be someone with a football background like Kenny.

The MD / CEO's involvement should to be buy and sell the players the manager wants if the money is available. His involvement as far as individual purchases and sales go should be to obtain to highest price possible for any player that is to be sold (especially in our financial position) and to acquire players at the lowest cost (both transfer fee and wages) possible. Of course he can discuss valuations with the manager and in extreme cases veto a purchase if the price becomes too inflated (the Simao situation for example), but he shouldn't be deciding on who is bought or sold.

The one thing that sometimes frustrated me about Rafa was his need for power. One of the only positive from his sacking was that whole political agenda that wrecked heads was gone.

My head coudnt handle another power hungry individual at the club desperate to make all the decisions footballing or financial.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: July 17, 2010, 01:35:51 PM »
the role of Director of Football is nutty.

If we go that route, then we are gonna create a mess.

It never works.

Let the manager manage the football side of things.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: July 17, 2010, 01:48:15 PM »
the role of Director of Football is nutty.

If we go that route, then we are gonna create a mess.

It never works.

Let the manager manage the football side of things.

It's very much a continental thing where you tend to have a coach and a director of football, basically splitting the duties of a manager (as we know it) between two people. Also the contracts for the coach tends to be shorter than in this country, so I guess DOF role is there to provide some continuity.
It's got to be easier having a manager to make the footballing decisions and let him appoint a staff to carry out those various tasks.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: July 17, 2010, 03:26:33 PM »
It's very much a continental thing where you tend to have a coach and a director of football, basically splitting the duties of a manager (as we know it) between two people. Also the contracts for the coach tends to be shorter than in this country, so I guess DOF role is there to provide some continuity.
It's got to be easier having a manager to make the footballing decisions and let him appoint a staff to carry out those various tasks.

director of football never works, Tes........at least not in this country.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 17, 2010, 05:53:29 PM »
Paddy Powers have stopped taking odds on Joe Cole moving to Liverpool due to a flurry of large bets. Interesting...........

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2010/07/17/liverpool-complete-15-6m-deal-to-sign-joe-cole/

Paddy Power today suspended betting on Joe Cole’s next club following a flood of bets on the ex-Chelsea player moving to Liverpool.

Liverpool had been available at odds of 11/2 to be Cole’s next club on Saturday morning but was backed into just 7/4 after numerous lumpy bets were wagered. The bookie then suspended betting when the slashing of odds failed to stem the tide.

Tottenham had been the bookie’s favourite since betting opened, but the Liverpool plunge was the first significant move in the market.

Paddy Power said, “We’ve raised the white flag and it looks like good news for Liverpool fans. It was a very quiet market that suddenly sprang to life and scores of bets were placed one after the other at all odds between 11/2 and 7/4. Money usually talks in markets like this and it’s shouting louder than a vuvuzela!”

Joe Cole’s next club closing odds
    7/4 Liverpool
    7/4 Tottenham
    11/4 Arsenal
    15/2 Man Utd (Paddy Power)

As the saying goes, you never see a broke a bookie. Does this news indeed mean that Joe Cole has managed to get the three year £100k a week deal? That would cost Roy Hodgson’s Anfield side a total of £15.6m but that would still be something of a bargain as there is clearly no transfer fee involved for the free agent.

The adaptable attacker can be played out wide or indeed could even be used as a man in the hole behind the strikers. The 28 year old still has a lot to offer and perhaps Carlo Ancelotti was too quick to turn down the former West Ham man’s demands.

Similar moves by bookmakers occurred when Manchester United were chasing Michael Owen last summer and that was a move that many found hard to believe until the deal was indeed sealed.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: July 18, 2010, 09:30:29 AM »
director of football never works, Tes........at least not in this country.

Agreed Dude, but is it the fault of the system or the clubs for not instigating it?

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: July 18, 2010, 09:38:09 AM »
Liverpool FC agree fee with Italian club Fiorentina for sale of Emiliano Insua

Jul 17 2010

Liverpool have agreed a fee with Fiorentina for the sale of defender Emiliano Insua and the player is travelling to Italy to discuss personal terms.

The Argentinian had a difficult season as injury to Fabio Aurelio meant he was first-choice left-back for most of the campaign and that eventually took its toll on his performances.

Insua has left the club’s training camp in Switzerland to have talks with the Serie A outfit.

His imminent departure, combined with Aurelio being released after his contract expired, means manager Roy Hodgson’s priority is finding a new left-back as soon as possible.

``We have agreed a fee for the sale of Emiliano Insua to Fiorentina and given them permission to speak with the player,'' said a club spokesman.

“Emiliano has now left our Swiss training camp and we’ll make further comment when appropriate.”

Insua arrived at Anfield in January 2007 from Boca Juniors and played 62 matches for the Reds.

Liverpool's friendly against Al-Hilal in Switzerland this evening has been called off after the pitch was deemed unplayable following heavy rain.

It means Hodgson will have to wait until Wednesday, when they face Swiss side Grasshoppers, for his first game since taking over from Rafael Benitez on July 1.

Hodgson thanked Insua for his service to the club.

“A deal has been struck with Fiorentina. We wish him well for the rest of his career and thank him for his time spent at Liverpool,” he said.

“I am expecting him to join Fiorentina next week.”

The Liverpool boss played down suggestions former Chelsea midfielder Joe Cole, whose contract expired at Stamford Bridge this summer, was on the verge of signing after bookmakers suspended betting on the England international’s next club.

“I’m not a betting man so that doesn’t actually play a big part that betting is suspended,” he added.

“I don’t even know enough about betting to know what that means.

“I know we’ve been connected with him, and it’s good to know we’re connected with players of that quality, but I don’t have anything to report on the subject.

“I haven’t had any discussions with him, but I had a brief chat a while back.

“If you want to know about transfer targets, and how things are progressing, you’ll have to ask (managing director) Christian Purslow because he’s the man looking after those discussions, not me.”

Hodgson also revealed he met with Liverpool co-owner George Gillett prior to tonight’s scheduled friendly.

“It was nice to meet him, of course. I don’t know him very well, but it was nice to speak to him,” he said.

“It was good of him to come to the game. It’s a pity that, I’m sure, like the rest of us he would have liked to have seen Liverpool play.”

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2010/07/17/liverpool-fc-agree-fee-with-italian-club-fiorentina-for-sale-of-emiliano-insua-100252-26876104/2/

You really do have to hand it to Roy (or maybe Pursestrings actually deserves the credit for the inspired idea). For years (since Stan Staunton mk1), the position of left back has always been troublesome for us. Solution - do away with it entirely. What a masterstroke.*

*So it looks like The Konkster's on his way from Fulham

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: July 18, 2010, 09:45:19 AM »
Paddy Powers have stopped taking odds on Joe Cole moving to Liverpool due to a flurry of large bets. Interesting...........

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2010/07/17/liverpool-complete-15-6m-deal-to-sign-joe-cole/

Paddy Power today suspended betting on Joe Cole’s next club following a flood of bets on the ex-Chelsea player moving to Liverpool.

Liverpool had been available at odds of 11/2 to be Cole’s next club on Saturday morning but was backed into just 7/4 after numerous lumpy bets were wagered. The bookie then suspended betting when the slashing of odds failed to stem the tide.

Tottenham had been the bookie’s favourite since betting opened, but the Liverpool plunge was the first significant move in the market.

Paddy Power said, “We’ve raised the white flag and it looks like good news for Liverpool fans. It was a very quiet market that suddenly sprang to life and scores of bets were placed one after the other at all odds between 11/2 and 7/4. Money usually talks in markets like this and it’s shouting louder than a vuvuzela!”

Joe Cole’s next club closing odds
    7/4 Liverpool
    7/4 Tottenham
    11/4 Arsenal
    15/2 Man Utd (Paddy Power)

As the saying goes, you never see a broke a bookie. Does this news indeed mean that Joe Cole has managed to get the three year £100k a week deal? That would cost Roy Hodgson’s Anfield side a total of £15.6m but that would still be something of a bargain as there is clearly no transfer fee involved for the free agent.

The adaptable attacker can be played out wide or indeed could even be used as a man in the hole behind the strikers. The 28 year old still has a lot to offer and perhaps Carlo Ancelotti was too quick to turn down the former West Ham man’s demands.

Similar moves by bookmakers occurred when Manchester United were chasing Michael Owen last summer and that was a move that many found hard to believe until the deal was indeed sealed.

So having got rid of Aurelio, which only leaves us with Torres, Gerrard and Aquilani (I'm not sure that Degen really counts [in any way]), Cecil 'I can be a director of football' Pursestrings has obviously decided Peter Brukner will be one short in his team of 'regulars'. Well done on blowing the whole transfer budget in one go.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: July 18, 2010, 10:07:27 AM »
Poulsen in Liverpool link

Sunday 18 July, 2010

Liverpool are pondering a bid for Juventus midfielder Christian Poulsen, according to reports.

The Danish international is, like many of his Turin teammates, available for transfer at the right price.

According to whispers, the Premiership outfit are considering a move for the player at the request of new boss Roy Hodgson.

Juventus are ready to sell one from Poulsen, Momo Sissoko and Felipe Melo after the outfit failed to qualify for the Champions League next season.

Poulsen could be being targeted by the Anfield boys as a possible replacement for Javier Mascherano.

The Argentine's future in England is in doubt given that he is wanted by new Inter boss Rafael Benitez at San Siro.

Poulsen arrived at Juventus from Sevilla in the summer of 2008 but has endured two difficult seasons with the Bianconeri.

http://www.football-italia.net/jul18e.html

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: July 18, 2010, 01:43:24 PM »
Poulsen in Liverpool link

Sunday 18 July, 2010

Liverpool are pondering a bid for Juventus midfielder Christian Poulsen, according to reports.

The Danish international is, like many of his Turin teammates, available for transfer at the right price.

According to whispers, the Premiership outfit are considering a move for the player at the request of new boss Roy Hodgson.

Juventus are ready to sell one from Poulsen, Momo Sissoko and Felipe Melo after the outfit failed to qualify for the Champions League next season.

Poulsen could be being targeted by the Anfield boys as a possible replacement for Javier Mascherano.

The Argentine's future in England is in doubt given that he is wanted by new Inter boss Rafael Benitez at San Siro.

Poulsen arrived at Juventus from Sevilla in the summer of 2008 but has endured two difficult seasons with the Bianconeri.

http://www.football-italia.net/jul18e.html

I cant see how Poulsen would improve our midfield. I would hope Hodgson goes down a different route to Benitez in terms of if a player doesnt improve the team then dont buy him.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: July 18, 2010, 02:14:12 PM »
Its hard not to be sick of Mascherano. I hope they hold out for at least 35 million. As for Militos comments, they just wreak of non committal players looking to jump ship at the first sign of trouble. Mascherano has never fully committed himself to the club. First angling the for the move o Barca last summer and now this.

He will be alot easier to replace than Alonso was.

http://www.clubcall.com/liverpool/mascherano-set-for-italian-job-1078625.html?

Mascherano set for Italian job
Liverpool, 13:14, July 18, 2010

Diego Milito believes his Argentinian team-mate Javier Mascherano will quit Liverpool to link-up with him at Inter Milan.

The reigning European and Serie A champions are known to be interested in the Liverpool midfielder, with former Reds boss Rafa Benitez having succeeded Jose Mourinho at the Giuseppe Meazza helm this summer.
The Spaniard is a huge admirer of Mascherano, and is keen for the South American enforcer to follow him to Italy.
His quest has been aided by the fact that Liverpool can no longer offer their top talents Champions League football, and Milito is convinced that could be the deciding factor in the midfielder's thought process.
"We are very excited about Mascherano joining us at Inter," the experienced striker said in the Daily Star Sunday.
"He has made it clear he wants to be here and it's just down to the relevant people agreeing the deal now.
"In my view we are getting the very best defensive midfield player in the world and Maradona calls him one of the three most important players in the Argentina squad along with Lionel Messi and (Carlos) Tevez. That's how highly he is regarded."
Milito added: "I think it's unrealistic of Liverpool to think they can keep hold of Mascherano when they can't even offer Champions League football and are not challenging Manchester United and Chelsea for the Premier League title.
"The boss and Mascherano have a good friendship so there were no other clubs on the cards for him after that, including Barcelona. He has wanted to join for a while but when the boss joined Inter I think that sealed the deal.
"Rafa has already made it clear that he wants another season like Jose had with us last season. Javier is a natural-born winner.
"He'll relish being at a club where he will win top honours.
"I think it will be hard for Liverpool to hold on to the top players, including (Steven) Gerrard and (Fernando) Torres, but that is not my concern."

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: July 18, 2010, 08:11:03 PM »
Milito says: "I think it will be hard for Liverpool to hold on to the top players, including (Steven) Gerrard and (Fernando) Torres, but that is not my concern."

Millito finally gets something right.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: July 18, 2010, 08:14:20 PM »
"I think it will be hard for Liverpool to hold on to the top players, including (Steven) Gerrard and (Fernando) Torres, but that is not my concern."

Exactly. It's not your concern, but you still feel the need to comment anyway. Let's just see if your medal haul has increased come the end of the season, and just how much of part you get to play. So what happens when your mate's wife find that Milan's not Argentinian enough for her taste either? Karma can be a b!tch Diego. Keep an eye out for it.