December 02, 2020, 09:46:42 AM

Author Topic: Summer transfer window thread  (Read 142205 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: Summer transfer window thread
« Reply #360 on: July 21, 2010, 04:37:41 PM »
Agreed Dude, but is it the fault of the system or the clubs for not instigating it?

oops, I missed this reply.

good question Tes.....I think's it's a totally flawed concept.

the manager is being asked to work alongside another figure, re incoming players. 

How often do people always get on/agree?  Even within a family, family members  are often not speaking, or on very poor terms....loads of potential for disagreement, etc.

It is madness to undermine the manager.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: July 21, 2010, 08:34:27 PM »
danny wilson hasn't got a prayer.

But Mary has.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: July 21, 2010, 08:47:18 PM »
oops, I missed this reply.

good question Tes.....I think's it's a totally flawed concept.

the manager is being asked to work alongside another figure, re incoming players. 

How often do people always get on/agree?  Even within a family, family members  are often not speaking, or on very poor terms....loads of potential for disagreement, etc.

It is madness to undermine the manager.

I agree that you can't have a manager and a technical director/director of football but it's a different setup where it's a director of football and a coach. It's basically splitting the responsibility of a manager between two people, but for it to be successful both the coach and DOF have to share the same footballing philosophy and method of playing and there has to be both trust and mutual respect. It's a different philosophy abroad where coaches tend to have shorter contracts as they have less overall involvement and therefore continuity isn't such a problem as the coach wasn't involved in all levels of the footballing side at the club.

Looking at the likes of Wenger and Ferguson, even in the modern age, one person in charge shaping the whole of the footballing side within the club works. The other model is more like the international setup  where the coach concerns himself purely with the 1st team and all other levels and aspects are dealt with by an FA or equivalent governing body.

It's also more fair and accountable. As a coach, if you're simply given a collection of players, however balanced or inbalanced you still carry the can in the same way, the coach ends up paying the price when the blame should be shared equally with the DOF.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: July 21, 2010, 09:09:35 PM »
But Mary has.

Has the Danny Wilson remark gone right over my head?  :-[

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: July 21, 2010, 09:11:17 PM »
http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/reds-in-talks-over-riera-sale?

Liverpool are in talks with Olympiacos over the sale of winger Albert Riera.

The Spaniard played no part in Wednesday night's friendly draw with Grasshoppers as discussions over his future continue with the Greek outfit.

Roy Hodgson told Liverpoolfc.tv: "Albert Riera did not play as a precaution because negotiations are ongoing with Olympiacos."

Riera signed from Espanyol in August 2008 and has scored five goals in 56 appearances.

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: July 21, 2010, 10:27:14 PM »
Guessing Albert wants to move on.  With Cole's arrival he may be worried that he'll be playing second or third fiddle.  If that is the case then bye bye.  We need players to have the desire/fight and hunger to play for the 1st team and not turn up expecting their name on the teamsheet automatically.

It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: July 21, 2010, 11:24:57 PM »
If you describe the club as a 'sinking ship' you've got to go. If we're a sinking ship how would he describe his latest career move?? :-X

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: July 22, 2010, 02:01:25 AM »
Has the Danny Wilson remark gone right over my head?  :-[

Tes and moi are obviously of a certain age.   :o ;D

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: July 22, 2010, 12:40:37 PM »

Huntelaar to sign for Liverpool

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/transfer-gossip/huntelaar-to-sign-for-liverpool

Milan striker Klaas-Jan Huntelaar will join Liverpool, with Ryan Babel heading the other way as part of the deal, claims Il Corriere dello Sport.

On Tuesday Huntelaar was reportedly in Manchester, leading to speculation talks with either Manchester City or Manchester United are impending.

However, the latest reports from Italy suggest he could join Liverpool. Huntelaar was not at Milanello on Wednesday, leading to further belief his future is away from Milan.

And should the deal with Liverpool take off, Milan will press for Ryan Babel as part of negotiations.

Everton are also said to be tracking the Rossoneri striker, but the lure of Anfield is likely to prove pivotal in his decision.

There has been little official confirmation in relation to Huntelaar's future, but Milan coach Massimiliano Allegri didn't appear too convincing when he was probed for a diagnosis.

"Huntelaar, for now, is a Milan player," he told the press. The Dutchman has also been linked with Tottenham and Aston Villa previously.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: July 22, 2010, 12:41:38 PM »
Get this deal done Woy :D

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: July 22, 2010, 02:01:17 PM »
Get this deal done Woy :D

Thats would be a very clever deal indeed out of Woy.

Both players are in similar situations at their clubs and country, on the fringes of the teams and not really trusted.

We could do with Huntelaar more than Babel though.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: July 22, 2010, 02:02:10 PM »
On Tuesday Huntelaar was reportedly in Manchester, leading to speculation talks with either Manchester City or Manchester United are impending.

does easyjet or ryanair not fly to John Lennon's airport?

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: July 22, 2010, 08:28:52 PM »
Bridge next for Kop

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/transfer-gossip/bridge-next-for-kop

Wayne Bridge is the latest English star to emerge on Roy Hodgson's radar at Liverpool.

The Manchester City left-back, 30 next week, faces an uncertain future at Eastlands with the club close to confirming the signing of £17million Lazio left-back Alexander Kolarov.

It would place luckless Bridge in the same position he was in at former club Chelsea last year.

Hodgson has already pulled off a massive transfer coup with his swoop for England midfielder Joe Cole on a free earlier this week.

The new Anfield chief has been further boosted by captain Steven Gerrard's insistence that he will not be leaving the club.

And with Argentine full-back Emiliano Insua on his way to Fiorentina for around £5million, Hodgson is now ready to add yet another Englishman to his Anfield ranks.

At Chelsea Bridge was the second-choice left-back behind Ashley Cole before moving to Manchester for £12million.

Although he initially made a solid start at Eastlands, Bridge suffered a torrid time last season with a long-term knee injury and poor form casting doubt over his position in the team.

Bridge was then rocked by the scandal involving the England skipper John Terry and Bridge's former partner Vanessa Perroncel.

Although he was backed by coach Roberto Mancini and his team-mates, Bridge's form was still affected and he went on to retire from international football in order not to face Terry.

Kolarov, who made two appearances for Serbia at the World Cup in South Africa, has yet to agree personal terms or complete a medical with Manchester City.

But with the club having agree a fee with Lazio for the 24-year-old, there is little doubt that he will conclude a deal to become City's latest recruit shortly.

This story has been reproduced from today's media. It does not necessarily represent the position of Liverpool Football Club.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: July 22, 2010, 08:30:08 PM »
What does everyone make of Bridge?

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: July 22, 2010, 09:19:05 PM »
What does everyone make of Bridge?

It wouldnt be a bad buy if we got him for a max 6 million, hes english and it wouldnt be hard for him to better Insua last season.

However I think we can do better. Hes turning 30, he is apparently one of the worlds highest paid full backs so Im not sure he would come that cheap.

I would be happy if he signed but I think Woy can do better.