November 26, 2020, 01:17:06 AM

Author Topic: Summer transfer window thread  (Read 141799 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Summer transfer window thread
« Reply #405 on: July 27, 2010, 11:18:50 PM »
Insua's Viola move in doubt

Last updated: 27th July 2010

Liverpool defender Emiliano Insua's move to Fiorentina is in danger of falling through, according to the Serie A club.

Fiorentina fear the player's wage demands could put the Argentine's switch to the Artemio Franchi in jeopardy.

Insua seemed set to leave Liverpool after Fiorentina agreed an undisclosed fee with the Merseyside side for the left-back.

However, Fiorentina sporting director Pantaleo Corvino has warned Insua that he might have to take a drop in wages to tie up the move to Italy.

"We have an agreement with the English club, but we have to find an understanding with the player in terms of wages," Corvino told Quotidianopuglia.it.

"We cannot guarantee him the figures that he gets at Liverpool."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_6282213,00.html

Could it be a blessing in disguise or will it stop us buying another left back, which we need even if he stays?
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: July 27, 2010, 11:24:36 PM »
Liverpool table £2.75m offer to sign Aston Villa's Luke Young

Stuart James guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 27 July 2010 22.30 BST

Liverpool have made a surprise move for the Aston Villa full-back Luke Young. Roy Hodgson, the Liverpool manager, tried to sign Young earlier this year when he was in charge of Fulham and he has now rekindled his interest in the former England international. Liverpool have agreed a £2.5m fee for a player who has been told he is surplus to requirements at Villa Park.

Although Hodgson's pursuit of Young might raise a few eyebrows among Liverpool supporters, the 31-year-old is able to operate in both full-back positions and was asked to represent England as recently as last November, when Fabio Capello failed to persuade the defender to reverse the decision he made earlier that year to retire from international football with seven caps to his name. He would also increase Liverpool's quota of homegrown players to comply with the new Premier League rule.

Liverpool are also short of options in the full-back positions because Emiliano Insúa is set to join Fiorentina and Fábio Aurélio has left the club on a free transfer. Philipp Degen, the Switzerland right-back, has also been told that he can look for another club after meeting with Hodgson last week.

Villa have been keen to offload Young as he is one of the club's higher earners and has three years remaining on his contract. Sunderland had also expressed an interest in signing Young this summer but were unable to match his personal terms.

Villa's decision to make Young available for transfer came as a disappointment to many of the club's supporters. Having joined Villa from Middlesbrough in a £5.5m deal two years ago, Young performed well in his first season but his start to the following campaign was curtailed through a combination of injury and personal tragedy, when Andre, his 17-year-old half-brother, was found dead on holiday.

Young eventually came back into the Villa side but made only 14 Premier League starts and was ultimately unable to dislodge Carlos Cuéllar, an orthodox central defender, from the right-back position. He remained a popular figure among the Villa supporters, however, and was given a standing ovation when he appeared as a substitute against Blackburn Rovers in the final match of the season.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jul/27/liverpool-luke-young-aston-villa

On the face of it, it's a rather underwhelming prospect but if the manager can do for Luke Young what he did for Danny Murphy, Damien Duff and Bobby Zamora at Fulham, we might be onto something here.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: July 28, 2010, 12:27:46 AM »
Liverpool table £2.75m offer to sign Aston Villa's Luke Young

Stuart James guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 27 July 2010 22.30 BST

Liverpool have made a surprise move for the Aston Villa full-back Luke Young. Roy Hodgson, the Liverpool manager, tried to sign Young earlier this year when he was in charge of Fulham and he has now rekindled his interest in the former England international. Liverpool have agreed a £2.5m fee for a player who has been told he is surplus to requirements at Villa Park.

Although Hodgson's pursuit of Young might raise a few eyebrows among Liverpool supporters, the 31-year-old is able to operate in both full-back positions and was asked to represent England as recently as last November, when Fabio Capello failed to persuade the defender to reverse the decision he made earlier that year to retire from international football with seven caps to his name. He would also increase Liverpool's quota of homegrown players to comply with the new Premier League rule.

Liverpool are also short of options in the full-back positions because Emiliano Insúa is set to join Fiorentina and Fábio Aurélio has left the club on a free transfer. Philipp Degen, the Switzerland right-back, has also been told that he can look for another club after meeting with Hodgson last week.

Villa have been keen to offload Young as he is one of the club's higher earners and has three years remaining on his contract. Sunderland had also expressed an interest in signing Young this summer but were unable to match his personal terms.

Villa's decision to make Young available for transfer came as a disappointment to many of the club's supporters. Having joined Villa from Middlesbrough in a £5.5m deal two years ago, Young performed well in his first season but his start to the following campaign was curtailed through a combination of injury and personal tragedy, when Andre, his 17-year-old half-brother, was found dead on holiday.

Young eventually came back into the Villa side but made only 14 Premier League starts and was ultimately unable to dislodge Carlos Cuéllar, an orthodox central defender, from the right-back position. He remained a popular figure among the Villa supporters, however, and was given a standing ovation when he appeared as a substitute against Blackburn Rovers in the final match of the season.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jul/27/liverpool-luke-young-aston-villa

On the face of it, it's a rather underwhelming prospect but if the manager can do for Luke Young what he did for Danny Murphy, Damien Duff and Bobby Zamora at Fulham, we might be onto something here.

Sweet J*sus.

I dont know whether to laugh or cry.

This is one of those situations I'd rather use the likes of Kelly or Darby or Carra than fork out 2.5 million.

At least he cant be any worse than Degen i suppose.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: July 28, 2010, 12:36:35 AM »
Sweet J*sus.

This is one of those situations I'd rather use the likes of Kelly or Darby or Carra than fork out 2.5 million.

At least he cant be any worse than Degen i suppose.

As he can play left back apparently, I would hope he's more of a cover player in that position. Although Kelly is primarily a centre half, he's also looked the part playing right back and playing him there occasionally whilst playing as a centre half for the reserves will benefit his footballing education. How many centre halves do you see struggle when they have to cover across in wider positions.

Alternatively, he could be seen as a squad player to play either fullback position (if Kelly's injured, like last season) in the Europa, League and FA Cups, meaning Johnson or the new first choice left back is kept fresher for the league. Also, we have a lot of Internationals at the club (see the numbers at the World Cup) and again players like Young could be useful.

Or I'm just trying to keep myself from crying.  :'(

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: July 28, 2010, 01:14:31 AM »

Or I'm just trying to keep myself from crying.  :'(

Lol, hopefully theres a method to Hodgsons madness.

Who knows he may be a good cover signing. And if we are going to waste our money I'd prefer to do it on British players who speak English than foreign players with unhappy missuses that dont.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: July 28, 2010, 08:06:39 AM »
Lol, hopefully theres a method to Hodgsons madness.

Who knows he may be a good cover signing. And if we are going to waste our money I'd prefer to do it on British players who speak English than foreign players with unhappy missuses that dont.

I guess we'll see Hodgson's intentions when the 25 man squad is named (not sure when that is).
If he were to play Europa, League Cup, early rounds of FA Cup and possibly the odd league game (depending on opposition) immediately after International games, it could help keep the core league players (full backs) fresher for the league challenge ahead.*

*Still got the Kleenex at the ready.

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: July 28, 2010, 08:38:07 AM »

Never been a fan of his but I'm not surprised at the type of player we are going for, bargain basement.

I'm sure Torres feels the same as us!
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: July 28, 2010, 11:25:54 AM »
When i heard we'd agreed a fee with Villa for Young i couldnt believe it. Why would Villa want to sell one of their best players when Milner might go aswell? Then i realised it was Luke not Ashley!! I've had a few texts from Villa fans already saying 'what is the world coming to when you have our rejects'!!! :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :o :o :o :o :'( :'( :'( :(

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: July 28, 2010, 12:25:00 PM »
All we can pray for his that the manager has the same effect on Luke Young as he had on Murphy, Duff and Zamora at Fulham.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: July 28, 2010, 04:46:36 PM »
he's only costing us 2.5 million. 

he would have had more than his 7 england caps, if he had not retired from international football.

he was a very popular player at villa park. 

my only issue would be that the lad is 31 years old and more specifically, he is more a right full back, not a left one.  He doesn't feel entirely comfortable on the left side.  If he's been brought in for the left, I would have some concerns.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: July 28, 2010, 05:49:53 PM »
I can only see him signing as a left back.we've got Johnson,kelly and even carra could play there if we're struggling where as we've only got Darby at left back at the moment.I like the idea of Mr Woy signing players with premiership experiance but not right backs playing on the left

wittsy

« Reply #416 on: July 28, 2010, 06:56:12 PM »
I can see the sense in buying him if he's just there as a squad player covering injured or rested players but he does seem alittle old to strengthen the squad. Maybe a two year contract would be OK. We really need an out n out left back of some quality... thing is can we find one at a good price ?? Maybe he's struggling to get his real targets and is forced to buy a lesser left back and thus is covering all bases buy aquiring an experienced prem/international player as extra cover (2.5 mill isn't a bad price for an English player of his experience).

Jas

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: July 28, 2010, 08:11:37 PM »
I can only see him signing as a left back.we've got Johnson,kelly and even carra could play there if we're struggling where as we've only got Darby at left back at the moment.I like the idea of Mr Woy signing players with premiership experiance but not right backs playing on the left

Darby also falls into that catagory.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: July 28, 2010, 08:14:33 PM »
I can see the sense in buying him if he's just there as a squad player covering injured or rested players but he does seem alittle old to strengthen the squad. Maybe a two year contract would be OK. We really need an out n out left back of some quality... thing is can we find one at a good price ?? Maybe he's struggling to get his real targets and is forced to buy a lesser left back and thus is covering all bases buy aquiring an experienced prem/international player as extra cover (2.5 mill isn't a bad price for an English player of his experience).

Jas

We need to keep one eye on this new rule so sifting through the squad an English/Welsh left back would be ideal, however, you're more likely to tread in rocking horse manure than find one of them at an affordable price.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: July 28, 2010, 08:33:56 PM »
Hodgson silent on Young transfer rumours

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 - 07:40 PM

Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson tonight refused to comment on reports he has made a bid for Aston Villa's Luke Young.

Villa manager Martin O'Neill has revealed the defender is considering an approach from an unnamed club.

Sources close to Villa Park have indicated that the offer has come from Anfield but Hodgson would not be drawn when questioned at a press conference for tomorrow's Europa League qualifier against FK Rabotnicki.

Hodgson did speak at length about the game in Macedonia - his first competitive fixture since taking charge - but appeared agitated when the subject changed to other matters.

When asked about Young and on rumours linking winger Maxi Rodriguez with a return to Espanyol, the 62-year-old said: "They are not playing tomorrow."

Hodgson was also unhappy when asked if reports that Emiliano Insua's proposed move to Fiorentina had hit a snag were true.

"No information to be given about that," he said.

When another question was asked about the difficulties of trying to sign English players - to comply with new Premier League squad rules - in the current market, Hodgson decided to make a firm point.

He said: "We're changing the subject. I don't think it's right in a room full of Macedonian journalists to be talking about things like homegrown rules and English players.

"I think we should be talking about the game, because that is what interests people.

"The subjects you are bringing up now are subjects for a future press conference.

"It is quite important in these last seven minutes that the questions I try to answer - and I gladly will for the Macedonians - will be about the football match tomorrow and not things like systems of play and future transfer targets or the long-term future of English football."

The proposed deal for Young is believed to be worth just over half the £5m he cost when he joined Villa from Middlesbrough two years ago.

The 31-year-old, who began his career at Tottenham and later joined Charlton, had limited first-team opportunities last season after losing his right-back slot to Carlos Cuellar.

Moving to Merseyside would bring him into competition with current England right-back Glen Johnson but his versatility could see him deployed on the left.

Hodgson is looking for a new left-back with Insua available for sale and Fabio Aurelio having been released.

Young has played in the position on several occasions under O'Neill in preference to Nicky Shorey.

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/hodgson-silent-on-young-transfer-rumours-467196.html#ixzz0v0VTQ1uU

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/hodgson-silent-on-young-transfer-rumours-467196.html

At least we have one person on the management side at the club that seems to understand 'the Liverpool Way'. If nothing else, we have a classy man as our manager.