December 02, 2020, 10:25:17 AM

Author Topic: Summer transfer window thread  (Read 142210 times)

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Summer transfer window thread
« Reply #420 on: July 28, 2010, 10:18:55 PM »
If these rumours are true I don't understand why Roy would go for another RB when we already have Johnson and Kelly as an excellent apprentice.

I wonder if he's considering moving Johnson forward to RH and slotting Young in at RB. That might ease Kuyt's workload who's stamina amazes me but he can't go on forever.

But we really need a LB and soon!
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: July 29, 2010, 12:44:25 AM »
If these rumours are true I don't understand why Roy would go for another RB when we already have Johnson and Kelly as an excellent apprentice.

I wonder if he's considering moving Johnson forward to RH and slotting Young in at RB. That might ease Kuyt's workload who's stamina amazes me but he can't go on forever.

But we really need a LB and soon!

ASI, you're showing your age referring to that position as RH (right half for those of you that aren't of ASI's, Dude's and my generation).  ;D

2,3,5 - now that was a formation.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

wittsy

« Reply #422 on: July 29, 2010, 10:21:48 AM »
Don't think this is likely and hope it's not true but.....

- Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson is already lining up a replacement for Javier Mascherano and believes Aston Villa's £7 million-rated midfielder Stiliyan Petrov is the man to do the job (Daily Mirror)

I'm assuming all these players we're linked with are just paper talk. I have to say though that these players do appear to be of very average quality so I hope this ISN'T our level of ambition.

Jas

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: July 29, 2010, 10:47:04 AM »
Don't think this is likely and hope it's not true but.....

- Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson is already lining up a replacement for Javier Mascherano and believes Aston Villa's £7 million-rated midfielder Stiliyan Petrov is the man to do the job (Daily Mirror)

I'm assuming all these players we're linked with are just paper talk. I have to say though that these players do appear to be of very average quality so I hope this ISN'T our level of ambition.

Jas

I think it's an Alan 'never been right yet' Nixon piece, so I wouldn't worry too much Jas. It feels like we're becoming a clone of Aston Villa though with all the 'middle table' names we're being linked with. I'd rather we were finding the next Hyypia or Arbeloa types (buying cheaply and developing them into top quality players) than being linked constantly with mediocrity.

It's about time we had some proper football journalists in this country.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: July 29, 2010, 10:51:37 AM »
The luke young story isn't paper talk unfortunately.if villa give him a golden handshake because he'll be on less money with us, he'll sign.hopefully they'll give him a golden shower instead!!!!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: July 29, 2010, 12:08:38 PM »
The luke young story isn't paper talk unfortunately.if villa give him a golden handshake because he'll be on less money with us, he'll sign.hopefully they'll give him a golden shower instead!!!!

I doubt the Goblin even knows what one is, he just doesn't seem the type to go in for watersports. Maybe Deadly Doug will come back and do the honours.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: July 29, 2010, 12:38:09 PM »
I doubt the Goblin even knows what one is, he just doesn't seem the type to go in for watersports. Maybe Deadly Doug will come back and do the honours.

;D ;D

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: July 29, 2010, 03:44:27 PM »

You could be in luck Kopite SSN are reporting (wait for it) that Young has turned us down. He doesnt want to move his family up North.

That shows ambition!

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: July 29, 2010, 03:48:25 PM »
As for Petrov, I would have preferred to have signed his namesake Martin for nothing than sign Stilian for 7 million.

Someone needs to phone Roy and tell him to chalk an interest in Flamini or the likes.

Unless he is attempting to sign Ashley Young hopefully Roys recent obsession with Villa is over.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: July 29, 2010, 03:50:47 PM »
The family bit sounds like a cover story to me because Villa wont give him his golden handshake

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: July 29, 2010, 04:46:14 PM »
The family bit sounds like a cover story to me because Villa wont give him his golden handshake

Also hes probably on about 50 grand a week at Villa and we were probably only offering 15.

Not bad dough for keeping the bench warm.

HarryHole

« Reply #431 on: July 29, 2010, 05:20:18 PM »
Wish RH would try to get his old player from Fulham, Brede Hangeland. Would also like to see Peter Crouch back in the red shirt.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: July 29, 2010, 05:27:03 PM »
Coulnt agree with you more about Hangeland. Last season we missed a tall powerful traditional centre half.hope I haven't disrespected the big Greek too much

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: July 30, 2010, 01:35:44 PM »
Also hes probably on about 50 grand a week at Villa and we were probably only offering 15.

Not bad dough for keeping the bench warm.

young was offered 10k less by liverpool (for a 32 yr old mind)..so its so much nicer to sit on yer bottom for 47k rather than 37k! If there are any premiership managers reading this, i will happily sit on a frozen bench midwinter in siberia at minus 46 centigrade for 37k ....no worries...
i think the new 25 player rule is a glorious thing...the end (eventually) of overpriced spidermonkeys sitting doing nowt in a profession that most of us would gladly cut off our left hand to have the privilege of playing...

thank feck we dodge the young bullet...oh and a personal message to young...get a job you twit!

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: July 30, 2010, 02:13:15 PM »

i think the new 25 player rule is a glorious thing...the end (eventually) of overpriced spidermonkeys sitting doing nowt in a profession that most of us would gladly cut off our left hand to have the privilege of playing...

I'm not so sure its going to go that way bart. True clubs like Man City wont be able to have huge squads of 40 top players. They will however be able to have 17-19 players (i forget how many exactly) or so of top talent and the remaining 6-8 will be made up of homegrown. What I think that might do is force up the prices of the very best players.

Also its definitely going to up the price of young homegrown players whether they are good bad or indifferent.

This rule is going to cause as many problems as it solves.