November 26, 2020, 01:01:38 AM

Author Topic: Summer transfer window thread  (Read 141788 times)

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
Re: Summer transfer window thread
« Reply #435 on: July 30, 2010, 02:25:50 PM »
Got to agree with juan. I think the price of home grown players will rise and the price of average foreigners will fall as demand from the premier league falls.simple demand and supply economics.hopefully though we'll see some clubs blooding their youngsters a bit more rather than rushing for the phone and trying to get a cheap foreigner in

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: July 30, 2010, 09:33:50 PM »
Wish RH would try to get his old player from Fulham, Brede Hangeland. Would also like to see Peter Crouch back in the red shirt.

Harry, welcome.

Hodgson made an arrangement with Al Fayed not to go back for any of the Fulham players.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: July 30, 2010, 09:38:35 PM »
Roy Hodgson swoops to steal Standard Liege's Steven Defour from under the nose of Sir Alex Ferguson

By Colin Young
Last updated at 8:50 PM on 30th July 2010

As Inter Milan prepare their first bid for unsettled Liverpool midfielder Javier Mascherano, manager Roy Hodgson has stepped up the search for his replacement.
The Liverpool boss was due to watch Standard Liege midfielder Steven Defour in Belgium last night and is considering a £10million bid for a player who is also a target for Manchester United.

So keen are United on the 22-year-old Belgium international that manager Sir Alex Ferguson wrote him a letter of encouragement when he broke his foot last year and has since kept an eye on his year-long recovery.
With Mascherano expressing his desire to leave Anfield, Hodgson and the Liverpool board will not stand in his way but they are determined not to sell him on the cheap to former boss Rafael Benitez.

The Spaniard and his new employers are prepare for a long fight for the Argentina captain, valued at £25m by Liverpool, and are ready to offer former Portsmouth midfielder Sulley Muntari as part of their first offer this week.
But the Ghana international, a virtual ever-present at Inter under Jose Mourinho, is unlikely to want to quit the San Siro, while Hodgson has his eyes on other options in any case.
Aston Villa’s Stiliyan Petrov is on his radar, along with Juventus midfielder Christian Poulsen.
Another option for Hodgson is to redeploy Brazil midfielder Lucas Leiva, who was recalled for his country this week by new coach Mano Menezes.
He has been captain in Steven Gerrard’s absence for all three games of Hodgson’s tenure, including Thursday’s Europa League triumph in Macedonia.
While Hodgson looks at alternatives to Mascherano, Lucas says he is ready to step into his shoes and fight for the right to keep the position over the coming season.

Lucas said: ‘Of course we all hope Javier stays because he is such a good player but we’ll just have to wait and see over that.
‘I’m not the same player as Javier, we have different styles, but I am ready to play and to impress and do whatever job the manager needs from me.
‘I think I did well last season but I think in this one I can do even better wherever I play. I know I am able to play the role Javier does because last season I played a few games when he was at right back.
‘I’ve got no problem with doing that job - I know I can do it if that is what the manager wants.’

Lucas will hand over the armband when Gerrard returns to the side. England’s World Cup skipper is expected to play at least 45 minutes in a friendly against Borussia Moenchengladbach in Germany tomorrow, along with Joe Cole, Jamie Carragher and Glen Johnson.
It has taken Lucas some time to be accepted at Anfield but his solid start to preseason has not gone unnoticed by Hodgson, who has only worked with a threadbare squad so far.
Lucas added: ‘I know there are a lot of senior players in front of me but I hope I did a good job and that I can stay in the team as well.
‘If everyone’s back for the second leg I’m sure we will be even better. There is a lot of competition for places, but that can only be good for Liverpool and what we want to do this season.

‘We are expecting positive things this season. We’ve got good players who have come, others who are to come back, and hopefully this year will be a lot better than last.’
Meanwhile, UEFA have confirmed they are to investigate claims of racist chants against Liverpool players in Thursday’s 2-0 win over FK Rabotnicki.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1299064/Roy-Hodgson-steal-Steven-Defour-Sir-Alex-Ferguson.html

I know it's only The Fail, but please let this be true.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: July 31, 2010, 02:30:08 PM »
Roy Hodgson swoops to steal Standard Liege's Steven Defour from under the nose of Sir Alex Ferguson

I know it's only The Fail, but please let this be true.

Tes is Defour really that good?

I ask because for a number of years I've heard people talk alot about him but I've only really seen him play a handful of times.

Why has nobody snapped him up by now? I know he got injured in January but even before that.

Well if he is as good as people make out he sounds like he would be 10 million well spent.

wittsy

« Reply #439 on: July 31, 2010, 08:19:21 PM »
Skysports are claiming we're about to re sign Aurelio, Uncle Woy is a big fan (they say) and wants him back to help fill the gap that has now appeared at LB.

If he could stay fit I wouldn't mind but why bother, only 8 starts in the prem last year !!!

Jas

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: July 31, 2010, 08:48:27 PM »
Skysports are claiming we're about to re sign Aurelio, Uncle Woy is a big fan (they say) and wants him back to help fill the gap that has now appeared at LB.

If he could stay fit I wouldn't mind but why bother, only 8 starts in the prem last year !!!

Jas

Sums our club up perfectly.

wittsy

« Reply #441 on: July 31, 2010, 10:22:29 PM »
Apparently he has already signed its says on the LFC.TV site

really can't understand it myself.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: July 31, 2010, 10:32:51 PM »
Yep, it's official and actually I'm quite pleased. One of my abiding memories of him is that crackin' goal he scored against Chelsea in the CL semi-final at SB last year and a sublime free kick against Manure at OT in the March.

It helps keep the money for one or maybe two more quality signings.
Cheers,
Ray

wittsy

« Reply #443 on: July 31, 2010, 10:40:50 PM »
I like the fella, a good pro and hard worker but it's wages going out to a player who doesn't play more than half a season at best, think we have a few of them already. If the new medical staff can keep him fit it will be a good (re) signing but you have to wonder if he's ever going to do it.

Jas

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: July 31, 2010, 10:45:51 PM »
I hear where you're coming from Wittsy but you have to accept that Roy would have been made aware of his fitness / injury status and wouldn't have resigned him if that was a big risk.

Maybe a 3 month rest has worked wonders for him.
Cheers,
Ray

wittsy

« Reply #445 on: July 31, 2010, 11:05:43 PM »
That is true, hopefully he will have no major problems for the two years of his contract. At least we didn't have to pay out for him so we can hopefully get a younger fitter LB and use Aurelio as cover.

Jas

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: July 31, 2010, 11:27:58 PM »
He's probably the best left back we could have hoped to sign and probably the most injury jinxed one aswell. It's swings and roundabouts (and treatment tables).

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: August 01, 2010, 11:45:37 AM »
Insua left in limbo - Argentine full-back sees Serie A switch stall

Last updated: 1st August 2010

Skysports.com understands Liverpool defender Emiliano Insua's move to Fiorentina has fallen through.

Insua was expected to leave Anfield after Liverpool accepted an undisclosed fee from Fiorentina for his services last month

Despite fears over the player's personal demands it was thought Insua would tie up a move to Artemio Franchi next week.

However, it appears both parties have been unable to reach a compromise and the deal is now very much in the balance.

It is believed Insua has linked up with the Liverpool squad in Germany for Sunday's clash with Borussia Monchengladbach after failing to agree terms with the Viola.

It remains to be seen if Fiorentina will come back in with a new offer to try and push through the move before the close of the transfer window.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_6289597,00.html

So let's keep him and develop him. Maybe his lack pace could prove to be a problem against wingers who simply 'push and go' but all other faults can be worked on and improved. I can't ever see him being world class but with hard work he could become a very solid full back.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: August 01, 2010, 01:43:04 PM »
Liverpool to make shock Parker swoop - Exclusive

Published 23:00 31/07/10  By Steve Stammers

Liverpool are set to make an £8million bid for Scott Parker.

Anfield boss Roy Hodgson has pinpointed the West Ham midfielder as the man to replace Javier ­Mascherano, who is set to join Inter Milan in a £20m deal.

The Hammers ­hierarchy have ­insisted that Parker is the one player they will not sell this summer.

“Not at any price,” said chairman David ­Sullivan.

That has not stopped Tottenham declaring their interest.

And just as Liverpool allowed Spurs and ­Arsenal to make the running in the ­pursuit of Joe Cole, before stealing their thunder, they are poised to strike again with Parker. The key issue is whether West Ham will relax their tough stance.

The Upton Park club have been boosted by the news that Robert Green wants to stay and they are likely to start talks soon with ­Matthew Upson about a new contract.

Upson’s current deal ­expires at the end of this season and he would ­qualify for a free transfer but West Ham want to avoid that scenario.

Meanwhile, Hodgson’s attempts to land Christian Poulsen have been given a boost after the Juventus midfielder’s agent said it was an “honour” to be linked with Liverpool.

Joern Bonnesen, his agent, said: “There has not been any contact and there is not much more that can be said ­until there has been, but we know there’s an interest from them.”

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Liverpool-are-lining-up-Scott-Parker-for-8m-and-also-Christian-Poulsen-article542791.html

I think we can safely file this under 'bound to fail'.

What's interesting is that all these midfielders we are being linked with aren't the destroyer type like Masch. They are more you're traditional type of central midfielder, players who can 'put their foot in' but who also offer a greater degree of creativity than Masch is given credit as possessing.
It probably allows for a better blend and against the 'park the bus' lot we could get an extra body going forward.

I hate to say it but the Mancs have never done too badly with a more rounded pair of midfielders. Carrick and Fletcher types have hardly let them down in recent seasons.

It would certainly help us if our central midfield were able to win the ball higher up the pitch but also had the ability to pick and play a telling pass in addition.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: August 04, 2010, 05:46:16 PM »
Anfield flop Philipp Degen's Liverpool nightmare to be ended with £1.5m switch to Stuttgart

By Sportsmail Reporter  Last updated at 12:28 PM on 4th August 2010

Liverpool  flop Philipp Degen is on his way out of Anfield with German club Stuttgart claiming they have agreed personal terms with the defender.

The Switzerland international was told by manager Roy Hodgson he had no future on Merseyside, leaving him free to find a new club.

Stuttgart promptly discussed a return to Germany for the 27-year-old former Borussia Dortmund star and the Bundesliga outfit will now offer the Reds £1.5million to secure his signature.

'We have reached an agreement with the player (Degen),' Stuttgart sporting director Jochen Schneider told German daily Bild.

'The player wants to join our club.'

Degen arrived at Anfield on free transfer two years ago under former boss Rafael Benitez.

But the full-back failed to hold down a first team place making just ten appearances.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1300268/Philipp-Degens-Liverpool-nightmare-ended-Stuttgart.html

Hopefully (though it's doubtful), this is true and it's a permanent transfer and not a loan as was suggested earlier in the week.