November 26, 2020, 01:39:27 AM

Author Topic: Summer transfer window thread  (Read 141814 times)

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Summer transfer window thread
« Reply #450 on: August 04, 2010, 07:11:14 PM »
Anfield flop Philipp Degen's Liverpool nightmare to be ended with £1.5m switch to Stuttgart

By Sportsmail Reporter  Last updated at 12:28 PM on 4th August 2010

Liverpool  flop Philipp Degen is on his way out of Anfield with German club Stuttgart claiming they have agreed personal terms with the defender.

The Switzerland international was told by manager Roy Hodgson he had no future on Merseyside, leaving him free to find a new club.

Stuttgart promptly discussed a return to Germany for the 27-year-old former Borussia Dortmund star and the Bundesliga outfit will now offer the Reds £1.5million to secure his signature.

'We have reached an agreement with the player (Degen),' Stuttgart sporting director Jochen Schneider told German daily Bild.

'The player wants to join our club.'

Degen arrived at Anfield on free transfer two years ago under former boss Rafael Benitez.

But the full-back failed to hold down a first team place making just ten appearances.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1300268/Philipp-Degens-Liverpool-nightmare-ended-Stuttgart.html

Hopefully (though it's doubtful), this is true and it's a permanent transfer and not a loan as was suggested earlier in the week.

From the word go I never thought Degen was going to be a successful free signing.

His injury record should have seen Rafa steer clear.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: August 04, 2010, 07:17:33 PM »
Heres another player I dont hold out a lot of hope to be a success. Not being negative, I just think he will prove to be an average midfielder an no better than is here. I hope he makes he eat my words but I doubt it.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6294798,00.html

Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson has admitted he is interested in signing Juventus' Danish midfielder Christian Poulsen.

The Reds have been strongly linked with a move for Poulsen as they consider replacements for wantaway midfielder Javier Mascherano.

Juventus are thought to be willing to let Poulsen move on as he is currently down the pecking order in new coach Luigi Del Neri's plans.

Hodgson is a big fan of Poulsen having worked with him during his time in charge of FC Copenhagen and he feels he would be a valuable addition to his squad at Anfield.

"If we can sign him from Juventus at a price I consider reasonable, he will be a very good player to bring into our team," Hodgson told Ekstra Bladet.

"Christian is a player I know well, a player whose career I actually kick-started many years ago and I have followed him closely ever since."

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: August 04, 2010, 09:19:21 PM »
Short term stop gap. The alternatives may be slightly more expensive but that's because they're better and younger. We'll now have two 30y.o midfielders needing replacing, instead of bringing in someone who can do Masch's job but equally could eventually replace Gerrard, as none of the others are simply destroyer types.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: August 05, 2010, 12:52:15 AM »
yes, Poulson hardly inspires the imagination.

but then again, Monster was pretty cr.ap last season....so the new lad must be better than that.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: August 06, 2010, 12:58:18 AM »
yes, Poulson hardly inspires the imagination.

but then again, Monster was pretty cr.ap last season....so the new lad must be better than that.

Unfortunately not. I'm surprised Fat Sham or Stoke haven't gone for him. He'd fit right in at either club.

wittsy

« Reply #455 on: August 06, 2010, 04:24:05 PM »
OK I haven't seen alot about him but to me he's Robby Savage but doesn't pass as much and is uglier..... is that good....... no.

Yes he's combative but he'll fail to boss the midfield the same way over here and will likely just give away alot of free kicks in our half. I'd rather we left it to Lucas.

The guy is 30 for gods sake, play like that here and he'll end up on the medical table more than on the pitch, it's faster and harder.

Jas

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: August 07, 2010, 12:39:08 AM »
........... it's faster and harder.

Jas

Actually it's harder, faster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAIda65XhYI&feature=related

"Suck me, suck me, eat me raw."
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 12:44:57 AM by Tes »

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: August 07, 2010, 09:39:10 AM »
Someone is getting carried away with themselves. Barca have lost out on Cesc so its time to start unsettling someone else. As good as Barca are I think if Liverpool were to start challenging this is the only place Nando would want to be.

http://www.imscouting.com/global-news-article/Liverpool-striker-Fernando-Torres-was-waiting-for-Barcelona-move-until-last-minute/9370/

According to Mundo Deportivo, the Spaniard did not want to join Manchester City or Chelsea - who bid £40 million for the player as well as reportedly offering him a huge contract.

Citing a close friend of both Barcelona President Sandro Rosell and Torres – an associate who was said to be responsible for talking to the player – the paper said contact was first made with the striker before the new Nou Camp chief was elected.

Torres was said to be “excited” by the possibility of a transfer to the Catalan club, although it later emerged that Barcelona would only make a move for the 26-year-old should Zlatan Ibrahimovic leave the Nou Camp.

And according to the report, only when it became apparent that the Swede was staying put, did Torres commit his future to Liverpool.

Nevertheless, the paper added that in fact, the Catalan club has not closed its lines of communication with Manchester City and AC Milan over the possible sale of the Ibrahimovic.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: August 07, 2010, 09:44:59 AM »
And the hilarity continues......

I wont paste the story itself because its from the s*n but they claim Arsenal are going to offer 23 million for Pepe Reina.

Why waste their own time.

That's one of those offers to make themselves look like they can compete with Chelsea and City  with the big money even though they know there is not a chance of it happening.

Show their intentions to Cesc for another season before going on to sign Mark Schwarzer

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: August 07, 2010, 09:55:37 AM »
Someone is getting carried away with themselves. Barca have lost out on Cesc so its time to start unsettling someone else. As good as Barca are I think if Liverpool were to start challenging this is the only place Nando would want to be.

http://www.imscouting.com/global-news-article/Liverpool-striker-Fernando-Torres-was-waiting-for-Barcelona-move-until-last-minute/9370/

According to Mundo Deportivo, the Spaniard did not want to join Manchester City or Chelsea - who bid £40 million for the player as well as reportedly offering him a huge contract.

Citing a close friend of both Barcelona President Sandro Rosell and Torres – an associate who was said to be responsible for talking to the player – the paper said contact was first made with the striker before the new Nou Camp chief was elected.

Torres was said to be “excited” by the possibility of a transfer to the Catalan club, although it later emerged that Barcelona would only make a move for the 26-year-old should Zlatan Ibrahimovic leave the Nou Camp.

And according to the report, only when it became apparent that the Swede was staying put, did Torres commit his future to Liverpool.

Nevertheless, the paper added that in fact, the Catalan club has not closed its lines of communication with Manchester City and AC Milan over the possible sale of the Ibrahimovic.

Considering our situation it's hardly surprising that Torres would think about Barca.
World class players want to win things and as fans so do we. Unfortunately we can't improve our chances by transferring to another team.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: August 07, 2010, 09:59:57 AM »
Considering our situation it's hardly surprising that Torres would think about Barca.
World class players want to win things and as fans so do we. Unfortunately we can't improve our chances by transferring to another team.

I know what you mean Tes. But regarding that article it loses credibility for me when it says Torres only committed to Liverpool when he knew Ibrahimovich wasnt going to leave. I dont buy that. If Barca were going to buy Torres I think they would do it and worry about trying to sell Ibrah later.

Man City would definitely taken him for 20 or 30 million.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: August 07, 2010, 11:01:27 AM »
I know what you mean Tes. But regarding that article it loses credibility for me when it says Torres only committed to Liverpool when he knew Ibrahimovich wasnt going to leave. I dont buy that. If Barca were going to buy Torres I think they would do it and worry about trying to sell Ibrah later.

Man City would definitely taken him for 20 or 30 million.

And there's been no sniff of any Ibrahimovich move anyway. Even City haven't been linked in any sustained way with him. Guardiola's also come out and said the Swede is in his plans. 

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: August 07, 2010, 11:42:45 AM »
Heres another player I dont hold out a lot of hope to be a success. Not being negative, I just think he will prove to be an average midfielder an no better than is here. I hope he makes he eat my words but I doubt it.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6294798,00.html

Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson has admitted he is interested in signing Juventus' Danish midfielder Christian Poulsen.

The Reds have been strongly linked with a move for Poulsen as they consider replacements for wantaway midfielder Javier Mascherano.

Juventus are thought to be willing to let Poulsen move on as he is currently down the pecking order in new coach Luigi Del Neri's plans.

Hodgson is a big fan of Poulsen having worked with him during his time in charge of FC Copenhagen and he feels he would be a valuable addition to his squad at Anfield.

"If we can sign him from Juventus at a price I consider reasonable, he will be a very good player to bring into our team," Hodgson told Ekstra Bladet.

"Christian is a player I know well, a player whose career I actually kick-started many years ago and I have followed him closely ever since."

I'd rather we used a combination of Lucas and Gerrard centrally.

It would be better to use Spearing rather than blow £4M+ on Poulsen. Poulsen wouldn't be that much of an improvement on Spearing and the money would be better spent at left back or going towards cover for Nando.

If we're not going to spend Defour/ Banega / De Jong / Diarra(s)  type money on a defensive midfielder then let's see if we can get Mark Noble from West Ham. Poulsen should be way, way down the list. I'd prefer Momo back from Juve or even see what Roy can make of Plessis, who is really a similar player to the Dane.

This move really isn't using our resources, both financial and playing, very sensibly.

wittsy

« Reply #463 on: August 07, 2010, 01:00:02 PM »
Actually it's harder, faster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAIda65XhYI&feature=related

"Suck me, suck me, eat me raw."

Haha can't better a bit of WASP, I'd rather Mr Lawless sign than Poulsen even if he is about 50 with a beer belly hanging out of his spandex LOL

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: August 07, 2010, 11:39:22 PM »
Haha can't better a bit of WASP, I'd rather Mr Lawless sign than Poulsen even if he is about 50 with a beer belly hanging out of his spandex LOL

And all ten foot of Chris Holmes at centre half. He'd make Soto look like a pussy cat.