November 26, 2020, 12:42:02 AM

Author Topic: Summer transfer window thread  (Read 141774 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Summer transfer window thread
« Reply #465 on: August 07, 2010, 11:44:24 PM »
Talking of ten foot:

Roy Hodgson lines up £10m raid to bring Peter Crouch back to Anfield

By Joe Bernstein   Last updated at 11:09 PM on 7th August 2010

Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson wants to take Peter Crouch back to Anfield two years after he was shown the door by Rafa Benitez.
Hodgson has made solving Liverpool’s striker shortage his priority and is ready to test Harry Redknapp’s resolve to keep Crouch at Tottenham with a £10million offer.
Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher, who played with Crouch at Anfield, have sung his praises to their new manager and Hodgson believes the 6ft 7in England international would be able to either play alongside Fernando Torres or step in whenever the Spaniard is injured or needs a rest.

Despite Liverpool’s financial problems with the club currently up for sale, Hodgson will be given money for a new striker if Javier Mascherano rejoins Benitez, now in charge at Inter Milan, in a £20m deal or signs for Barcelona.

He is keen to continue bolstering the English contingent in his squad, having already signed Joe Cole from Chelsea on a Bosman.

Intriguingly, Crouch may be tempted by the opportunity to complete unfinished business at Anfield despite the lure of Champions League football at Spurs.

He helped Liverpool win the FA Cup and reach the Champions League final in three seasons at the club but was sold by Benitez to Portsmouth in 2008 to make way for Robbie Keane.
However, the success of Hodgson’s mission would still depend on the attitude of Tottenham boss Redknapp. He has managed Crouch at three clubs - Southampton, Portsmouth and Spurs - and would only sell if chairman Daniel Levy backs his plans to bring in other targets Ashley Young of Aston Villa, Sevilla’s Brazil striker Luis Fabiano, AC Milan’s Klaas Jan Huntelaar and Craig Bellamy of Manchester City.
Redknapp has so far been frustrated in the transfer market, with Levy waiting to see if Spurs beat Young Boys of Berne in a two-leg qualifying round later this month to reach the Champions League group stage.
Spurs want to reduce their squad but have not been able to so far shift players like David Bentley, Jermaine Jenas and Roman Pavlyuchenko, who are surplus to requirements.

However, Keane is still likely to go to Aston Villa once their sale of James Milner to Manchester City is completed.
Crouch has been in demand throughout his career and will be keen to have a good season after a disappointing World Cup in which manager Fabio Capello preferred to partner Wayne Rooney with Emile Heskey or Jermain Defoe despite Crouch’s 21 goals for England.
Hodgson also has to deal with the interest of Barcelona, who may turn their attention to midfielder Mascherano after missing out on Cesc Fabregas.

The Spanish champions are being encouraged by Lionel Messi to make a move for his Argentina team-mate who would add steel alongside the dazzling attacking talent at the Nou Camp.
Barca were priced out of the market for Fabregas but Liverpool would be willing to listen to offers of £20-25m as they know Mascherano is keen to leave Merseyside for family reasons.
Inter manager Benitez is also keen on being reunited with Mascherano but has to wait until Mario Balotelli or Maicon are sold before he can launch a bid.
Liverpool hope two European giants competing for Mascherano will lead to a higher sale price. They would also see it as poetic justice if Benitez missed out on Mascherano after his acrimonious relations with the club hierarchy in the final few months of his time at Liverpool.
Mascherano has been a popular figure at Anfield since arriving from West Ham in 2008 but his wife has failed to settle in the north-west and the 26-year-old has wanted to quit for southern Europe for the past 12 months.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1301217/Roy-Hodgson-ready-stage-10m-raid-bring-Peter-Crouch-Anfield.html

I'm really not sure about going backwards to go forwards.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: August 08, 2010, 02:09:11 AM »
I'd rather we used a combination of Lucas and Gerrard centrally.

It would be better to use Spearing rather than blow £4M+ on Poulsen. Poulsen wouldn't be that much of an improvement on Spearing and the money would be better spent at left back or going towards cover for Nando.

If we're not going to spend Defour/ Banega / De Jong / Diarra(s)  type money on a defensive midfielder then let's see if we can get Mark Noble from West Ham. Poulsen should be way, way down the list. I'd prefer Momo back from Juve or even see what Roy can make of Plessis, who is really a similar player to the Dane.

This move really isn't using our resources, both financial and playing, very sensibly.

Yes it definitely doesnt improve on what we've got so why waste one of your 17 squad places.

Some managers just tend to spend the money because its there.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: August 08, 2010, 06:56:37 PM »
Yes it definitely doesnt improve on what we've got so why waste one of your 17 squad places.

Some managers just tend to spend the money because its there.

Exactly. That should always be the yardstick. Is the potential target better than a first choice player or better at least than a player who regularly makes up the matchday squad of 18. If not, then don't buy.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: August 08, 2010, 08:34:02 PM »
12 million for 29 year old Crouch is too much. I would prefer Hodgson to pay 12 million taking a chance on Remy than paying 12 million for a striker although we know hes solid is never going to be anything more than a squad player.  The fact that Harry is considering selling one to buy the other is enough for me to know where I'd like to see the money spent.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1301352/Redknapps-ready-offload-Peter-Crouch-Loic-Remy-issues-come-plea-Spurs.html

Harry Redknapp is considering allowing striker Peter Crouch to rejoin Liverpool so he can free up a move for Nice forward Loic Remy.

A potential stalling point is Spurs wanting at least £12million for the 29-year-old, who scored 13 goals for the club last season.

Remy is keen to move to White Hart Lane instead of Stoke or  West Ham but is desperate for  Nice to drop his £13m price tag.

The 23-year-old said: ‘A move to Spurs would be interesting. Stoke is not the move that I want. Nice are in real need of money and adapt the price to help sell me.’

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: August 08, 2010, 08:44:26 PM »
tough call, Juan.

Crouch is a top notch proven premiership and international class striker, and with his height, unmarkable.

I'd not pay more than harry paid for him tho - something around 9 million.

Interesting aside - the papers today all cr.ap over rafa, saying he forced Crouch out of anfield.  What a fecken load of crap.  Libellous crap.  Rafa should sue the lot of them.

Their vendetta against Rafa, and other foreign bosses, has to end.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: August 08, 2010, 10:31:46 PM »
tough call, Juan.

Crouch is a top notch proven premiership and international class striker, and with his height, unmarkable.

I'd not pay more than harry paid for him tho - something around 9 million.

Interesting aside - the papers today all cr.ap over rafa, saying he forced Crouch out of anfield.  What a fecken load of crap.  Libellous crap.  Rafa should sue the lot of them.

Their vendetta against Rafa, and other foreign bosses, has to end.

But Dude Crouch is Crouch we know what he can do, he is a good premier league player but will never be top notch. I just dont like the way football is played with him in the team. I would like to see Torres play with a sheringham type of striker, someone who can get you goals as well as set you up. Joe Cole could well play off Nando and if he does I would prefer to see us sign the likes of Remy to come off the bench than Crouch. I understand when you say tough call, I guess I would just like to see a manager maybe go for someone different without reverting back to the safe bet. We have seen Crouch at Anfield, I would like to give someone else a try.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: August 08, 2010, 11:22:47 PM »
But Dude Crouch is Crouch we know what he can do, he is a good premier league player but will never be top notch. I just dont like the way football is played with him in the team. I would like to see Torres play with a sheringham type of striker, someone who can get you goals as well as set you up. Joe Cole could well play off Nando and if he does I would prefer to see us sign the likes of Remy to come off the bench than Crouch. I understand when you say tough call, I guess I would just like to see a manager maybe go for someone different without reverting back to the safe bet. We have seen Crouch at Anfield, I would like to give someone else a try.

If Torres isn't available then we either switch to a two up front, Pacheco and one other, or we find a similar player to Nando. Whoever that is, we need to maintain the pace Torres brings. Crouch wouldn't do that. Plus they'd be the temptation to hit it long.

Paying more for an older Crouch than we sold him for makes no sense. For that reason, I'm out. 

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: August 08, 2010, 11:33:46 PM »
Apparently a story will break in tomorrows papers that Crouchies been caught with his pants down.  ;)

Hopefully Roy wont want the controversy that will follow Crouchie.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: August 09, 2010, 02:09:58 PM »
Hats off to Hodgson hes been a breath of fresh air at the club. Getting Cole in could be a master stroke, persuading Gerrard and Torres to stay equally if not more important. His interviews are straight forward and he doesnt seem to want to get caught up in controversy e.g the way he dealt with being questioned about Al Fayed slating him was top notch.

But there is one small thing that concerns me up to now and maybe Roy has a perfectly good reasoning for it but Joe Cole aside the players he seems to be chasing are more mid table, Fulham, Blackburn players than they are Liverpool quality.  Brad Jones, Luke Young, Zoltan Gera, Christian Poulsen are all players you might have seen Roy chase at Fulham. But I think he needs to start upping the quality of his search. I'm probably being a little unfair on Jones, he will probably come in as understudy to Reina and could well do a good job but the other 3 aren't exactly top quality players.

In the case of Christian Poulsen I would prefer Roy to wait and see if Masch is going to go or stay. According to Broughton he will be given any proceeds from player sales, therefore why not identify someone younger with more quality than Poulsen. If Masch goes attempt to bring them in, if Masch stays then theres no need for a replacement.

I dont know why we wouldnt be in the running for players like Ozil seeing as he is down to the last year of his contract.

I will probably take some stick for this but all I'm saying is I think someone needs to tell Roy that the players he had lined up for Fulham arent necessarily good enough for Liverpool.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_6302651,00.html?

Skysports.com understands a number of clubs are tracking Fulham ace Zoltan Gera.

Gera's future at Fulham could be in doubt following the arrival of new boss Mark Hugheswith the Welshman expected to bring in new faces to put his own stamp on the side.

The 31-year-old has just a year to run on his current contract and talks over a new deal have yet to take place as yet, alerting a number of clubs to his possible availability.

Liverpool could be in the market for Gera with Roy Hodgson a big fan of the Hungarian and his versatility would appeal to the new Reds boss.

Sunderland are also thought to be interested in Gera with Black Cats chief Steve Bruce keen to bolster his squad before the close of the transfer window.

German side Werder Bremen are also thought to be monitoring Gera's situation following his stunning 12-minute hat-trick against the German club in Saturday's pre-season friendly between the two sides.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: August 09, 2010, 03:17:58 PM »
to get back in the hunt for league titles, we need to be in the market for lads like Mesut Ozil.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: August 10, 2010, 07:11:40 PM »
Seriously. Underwhelming.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: August 10, 2010, 08:44:08 PM »
to get back in the hunt for league titles, we need to be in the market for lads like Mesut Ozil.

Barca apparently have an 8 million bid in.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/european/7936347/Barcelona-agree-deal-for-Mesut-Ozil-with-Manchester-United-and-Chelsea-too-slow.html

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: August 10, 2010, 09:31:01 PM »
Barca apparently have an 8 million bid in.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/european/7936347/Barcelona-agree-deal-for-Mesut-Ozil-with-Manchester-United-and-Chelsea-too-slow.html

It'll be interesting to see how he fits in. Along with Masch:

Barca pounce on Mascherano

Tuesday 10 August, 2010

Inter appear to have given up on Javier Mascherano, sending the Liverpool midfielder closer to Barcelona.

He had made it clear he wanted to reunite with Rafa Benitez at San Siro and even went so far as learning Italian during the World Cup this summer.

However, this week Nerazzurri President Massimo Moratti decided he was too expensive at €30m, especially with Douglas Maicon now off the market.

According to Catalan newspaper ‘El Mundo Deportivo,’ Barcelona have dived right in to take advantage of the situation.

Their own bid for Arsenal’s Cesc Fabregas failed, so they would be willing to pay Liverpool’s requested sum for Mascherano.

They would also be able to hand over Aleksandar Hleb as part of the transfer package.

“The player would like to talk to Barca. After all, the sums requested are half of what they put on the table for Fabregas,” agent Horacio Zandonadi told Com Radio.

“Mascherano has not renewed his contract and the club promised to release him if he requested a transfer.

“The situation is much easier than a year ago, when Barcelona already made an offer for Javier.

“Many clubs like Mascherano, as he is a great player at the highest level.”

http://www.football-italia.net/aug10h.html

Would we have a place for Hleb in the team?

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: August 11, 2010, 02:06:15 PM »
I saw Poulsen playing for Sevilla the whole season a couple of years back and he was magnificent (remember Sevilla under Juande Ramos when they took all by storm)...so we shall see...good back up for mascherano anyway...cos at the moment the monster masch aint going nowhere (until citeh buy ballotelli and then inter invests that money)...as for the swapping of a 6 mil benayoun for a 6 mil poulsen...both the same age...both obviously do different jobs...but there's one difference...benny didnt want to play for liverpool anymore and poulsen does...good enough for me...

we might need one more striker...maybe...not convinced that pacheco can not step up and do the job...robbie was trusted as was owen...maybe its time to have that trust once more...

if we don't have that trust...then crouch for 12-15 mil...for a 28 year old is stupid...
...i'd much prefer the return of bellamy for 6...even though hes a nutjob...he's fit and he knows where the net is...

if we do sell masch to inter (cos he aint going to barca)...then ozil should be the next target...that is if he's still available...

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: August 11, 2010, 11:55:16 PM »
I saw Poulsen playing for Sevilla the whole season a couple of years back and he was magnificent (remember Sevilla under Juande Ramos when they took all by storm)...so we shall see...good back up for mascherano anyway...cos at the moment the monster masch aint going nowhere (until citeh buy ballotelli and then inter invests that money)...as for the swapping of a 6 mil benayoun for a 6 mil poulsen...both the same age...both obviously do different jobs...but there's one difference...benny didnt want to play for liverpool anymore and poulsen does...good enough for me...

we might need one more striker...maybe...not convinced that pacheco can not step up and do the job...robbie was trusted as was owen...maybe its time to have that trust once more...

if we don't have that trust...then crouch for 12-15 mil...for a 28 year old is stupid...
...i'd much prefer the return of bellamy for 6...even though hes a nutjob...he's fit and he knows where the net is...

if we do sell masch to inter (cos he aint going to barca)...then ozil should be the next target...that is if he's still available...

I think there is far more imaginative players you could buy instead of Poulsen.

Poulsen is 30 so at 6 million we are paying a premium for a player that we could probably manage without.

Who would I buy instead? Hes not a defensive midfielder but I still would go for Stephen Ireland. 8 million hes valued at, didnt make Citys 25 man Europa squad. And the guys only 23, proven premiership quality. Before injuries and loss of form last season he was Citys best player the year before.

Bart you have suggested Bellamy. I think Ireland and Bellamy would strengthen our squad no end.