December 08, 2019, 02:35:08 AM

Author Topic: Summer transfer window thread  (Read 104602 times)

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Summer transfer window thread
« Reply #525 on: August 29, 2010, 11:19:59 AM »
Agreed ASI, on both points. Probably poor journalism, getting him mistaken with Masch. I guess all South Americans look the same to said 'journalist'.
We'd be left with 3 established central midfielders only, plus Spearing. Still I guess 'their' interest payments come before what's important. Talking of which, from the Telegraph: 

The second part of that report is depressingly familiar Tes. When I think how much stronger our first team could have been with that extra £40M invested in quality players I want to weep. Having said that if Rafa had stayed and had access to it I wonder how wisely he would have invested it when you look at purchases like Aquilani.

But the first part of Rory Smith's report gives me considerable hope that once Poulson and Meireles form a relationship in midfield it can be as good as the Alonso / Masch one was. And with Gerrard moving forward behind Torres that should keep both of them happy.
Cheers,
Ray

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: August 29, 2010, 02:02:13 PM »
This Sunday People report suggests Babel will be offered to WHU in exchange for Carlton Cole. I'm not convinced one is any better than the other but Roy's judgement is probably just a little better than mine.  :D

It all hinges on whether Babel wants the move as Cole is happy to come north. I would imagine all those bright lights of London would suit young Ryan.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: August 29, 2010, 02:09:53 PM »
This Sunday People report suggests Babel will be offered to WHU in exchange for Carlton Cole. I'm not convinced one is any better than the other but Roy's judgement is probably just a little better than mine.  :D

That makes two of us, ASI.  Cole's injury record is worrying aswell. I'd rather stick than twist on this one.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: August 29, 2010, 02:14:04 PM »
That makes two of us, ASI.  Cole's injury record is worrying aswell. I'd rather stick than twist on this one.

Babel is on the bench this afternoon Tes which seems to make a swap unlikely (for potential injury reasons). I don't think this one will go through. Stick it is!
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: August 29, 2010, 03:31:16 PM »
Babel is on the bench this afternoon Tes which seems to make a swap unlikely (for potential injury reasons). I don't think this one will go through. Stick it is!

Good to see that Roy knows where to come for a bit of sound advice.  ;D

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: August 29, 2010, 05:01:49 PM »
Good to see that Roy knows where to come for a bit of sound advice.  ;D

;D We're all good managers from the safety of the sofa Tes!
Cheers,
Ray

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: August 29, 2010, 06:17:24 PM »
In an ideal world (well my one anyways!)...Babel (plus cash) would be swapped for Toivonen...
(Han solo voice) got a bad feeling about carlton cole tbh

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: August 29, 2010, 06:23:11 PM »
In an ideal world (well my one anyways!)...Babel (plus cash) would be swapped for Toivonen...

Well Barticus it doesn't look like this will happen unless PSV reduce their asking price. That's according to Rory Smith on Twitter.

Can't wait to see Meireles in action though. But there's internationals coming up.  :(
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 06:24:50 PM by Ageing Stick Insect »
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: August 29, 2010, 10:47:50 PM »
But there's internationals coming up.  :(

Again!!!  >:(

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: August 30, 2010, 12:00:41 AM »

It seems Real are now in for Toi so I guess we can forget that one

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: August 30, 2010, 10:48:25 AM »
It seems Real are now in for Toi so I guess we can forget that one

Hodgson has now come out and stated he's not the sort of striker we're looking for atm.

Asked if Toivonen could arrive he said: "No. Unlikely. He's a good player but not the profile I'm looking for.''

So why have we been watching him so closely?

More worrying therefore, is what sort of striker are we (the manager) looking for. I hope he doesn't make the same mistake as Rafa did and try and buy a partner for Torres. Are we just looking for a battering ram?

Toivonen would seem like the ideal player. From what I know of him he would seem able to play off Torres, as Gerrard did, plus he could replace Torres, either up front on his own or with a partner.

Whoever we sign as a striker they will be of no use unless we create chances for them and help them out by having other players weigh in with goals also.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: August 30, 2010, 12:41:03 PM »
Hi Tes,

What formation would you like us to play? 4-4-2 which proved so disasterous at City or 4-2-3-1? If the former who do you think could play alongside Torres without occupying the space Fernando takes up? It's a difficult one to work out and even harder to find that kind of player in 36 hours!

I still feel we'd be better sticking to 4-2-3-1 with Gerrard just behind Torres and maybe Meireles in there too as he seems quite attack-minded.

I wonder what Roy means when he say's "he's not our sort of player"? The mind boggles.  :o
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Jim B

• Just me
  • Administrator
  • A regular
    • View Profile
    • Anfield Road
« Reply #537 on: August 30, 2010, 02:10:54 PM »
I think Roy sees Toivonen as another Dirk/Cole/Kuyt - a secondary striker or the "in the hole" type of striker as opposed to the out-and-out Ian Rush / Fernando Torres / Nicolas Anelka / John Aldridge type.

I think he's looking for someone to fill in for Torres when he's injured, out of form, tired or for less important games (whatever they turn out to be).

If that's the case I don't know that Carlton Cole would be happy about it. Sky will keep telling us he isn't - because he'd be a player getting occasional games and being "dropped" despite scoring in his last game.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: August 30, 2010, 02:21:54 PM »
Hmmm, that a tricky one to solve. Good enough to score goals when being played but gracious enough when occupying the bench not to complain.

Only one man for the job... Emmanuel Adebayor!!  ;D

Tes and I don't see Carlton Cole being any better than Babel and could be worse. But it seems Roy thinks differently if the report in yesterday's Sunday People is to be believed.

Once Joe Cole returns I think he'll have the trickery to help unlock defences and that in turn should make life easier for Gerrard, Torres et al.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: August 30, 2010, 08:13:52 PM »
I think Roy sees Toivonen as another Dirk/Cole/Kuyt - a secondary striker or the "in the hole" type of striker as opposed to the out-and-out Ian Rush / Fernando Torres / Nicolas Anelka / John Aldridge type.

I think he's looking for someone to fill in for Torres when he's injured, out of form, tired or for less important games (whatever they turn out to be).

If that's the case I don't know that Carlton Cole would be happy about it. Sky will keep telling us he isn't - because he'd be a player getting occasional games and being "dropped" despite scoring in his last game.

With Cole's injury record he's just as likely to be partnering Torres on the treatment table. His scoring record doesn't suggest that he'd be up to the job either.
With Torres out it would give us the option of playing a lone striker or a pairing. Toivonen can play the lone role but with good movement off and around the front 3 or 4 can rotate and hence there's no need for a fixed focal point.