December 14, 2019, 10:53:03 AM

Author Topic: Summer transfer window thread  (Read 105147 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Summer transfer window thread
« Reply #540 on: August 30, 2010, 08:15:29 PM »
Only one man for the job... Emmanuel Adebayor!!  ;D

The poster boy for the modern footballer.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Jim B

• Just me
  • Administrator
  • A regular
    • View Profile
    • Anfield Road
« Reply #541 on: August 30, 2010, 08:28:07 PM »
The Mascherano deal's officially gone through now so we've got about 21 hours to spend anything left from it. Unless we miraculously find there isn't anything left from it.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: August 30, 2010, 08:31:58 PM »
Hi Tes,

What formation would you like us to play? 4-4-2 which proved so disasterous at City or 4-2-3-1? If the former who do you think could play alongside Torres without occupying the space Fernando takes up? It's a difficult one to work out and even harder to find that kind of player in 36 hours!

I still feel we'd be better sticking to 4-2-3-1 with Gerrard just behind Torres and maybe Meireles in there too as he seems quite attack-minded.

I wonder what Roy means when he say's "he's not our sort of player"? The mind boggles.  :o

ASI, I really don't like this two holding midfielders setup. WBA had a setup (at least according to MOTD2) that I favour - 4-1-4-1. One defensive midfielder, the four ahead being made up of two wide players (not neccessarily wingers) and two behind the striker, one of which can be an attacking midfielder/playmaker with the other being a more traditional in the hole type striker. The front central 3 or indeed 5 rotate and switch positions according to the position taken up by any of them. For example, if the single striker pulls wide to work the channel, he is supported by the full back, whilst the wide player takes up the advanced central position. It also allows for either or both the players behind the striker to break beyond the striker. When the ball is wide left, the wide right player's job is to get in the box, either far post, centrally or ahead of the main striker if he's dropped deeper during build up play, and vice versa with the other wide player.
When defending it easily adapts to a bank of four or even five. With a bank of four, the main striker and hole player defend from the front taking a fullback and centre half each to close down.

We can easily adapt it to play Gerrard and Meireles behind Torres, with Meireles playing slighly deeper than Gerrard, but with the way Gerrard plays, he, Cole (starting on the left) and Kuyt (who showed his ability on the left against WBA) would interchange fluently. Meireles would also be in a position to drop deeper and help Poulsen out or drop in the hole left should Poulsen bring the ball out with him.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: August 30, 2010, 08:41:05 PM »
The Mascherano deal's officially gone through now so we've got about 21 hours to spend anything left from it. Unless we miraculously find there isn't anything left from it.

Jim, wash your mouth out, surely that money can't just disappear.  :D

Remember this is 'Big Summer'. Uncle Tom said so. We've been playing it rather canny. They'll be a couple of Robinho, last minute mega signings tomorrow. Have faith. Uncle Tom said so.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 08:43:14 PM by Tes »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: August 30, 2010, 08:44:57 PM »

What time does the window slam shut? Is it 6pm?

Offline Jim B

• Just me
  • Administrator
  • A regular
    • View Profile
    • Anfield Road
« Reply #545 on: August 31, 2010, 08:19:17 AM »
What time does the window slam shut? Is it 6pm?

Yes, 6pm sharp. (Although you can guarantee some club or other will request special dispensation for an extension after their fax machine ran out of toner.)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: August 31, 2010, 11:26:31 AM »
Yes, 6pm sharp. (Although you can guarantee some club or other will request special dispensation for an extension after their fax machine ran out of toner.)

I doubt our's has either toner or paper and the plug's probably been borrowed for Cecil's cappuccino machine.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: August 31, 2010, 07:24:37 PM »
ASI, I really don't like this two holding midfielders setup.
I agree. 3 would be better but I suppose a striker is essential.  ;D One seems okay so I agree that a 4-1-4-1 formation makes more sense.

WBA had a setup (at least according to MOTD2) that I favour - 4-1-4-1. One defensive midfielder, the four ahead being made up of two wide players (not neccessarily wingers) and two behind the striker, one of which can be an attacking midfielder/playmaker with the other being a more traditional in the hole type striker. The front central 3 or indeed 5 rotate and switch positions according to the position taken up by any of them. For example, if the single striker pulls wide to work the channel, he is supported by the full back, whilst the wide player takes up the advanced central position. It also allows for either or both the players behind the striker to break beyond the striker. When the ball is wide left, the wide right player's job is to get in the box, either far post, centrally or ahead of the main striker if he's dropped deeper during build up play, and vice versa with the other wide player.
When defending it easily adapts to a bank of four or even five. With a bank of four, the main striker and hole player defend from the front taking a fullback and centre half each to close down.

We can easily adapt it to play Gerrard and Meireles behind Torres, with Meireles playing slighly deeper than Gerrard, but with the way Gerrard plays, he, Cole (starting on the left) and Kuyt (who showed his ability on the left against WBA) would interchange fluently. Meireles would also be in a position to drop deeper and help Poulsen out or drop in the hole left should Poulsen bring the ball out with him.

That's explained very well. Perhaps Jim could pass it on to Roy. You're never too old to learn.  :P

I hope you'll remember this when we play Birmingham and see how close you were.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: September 01, 2010, 10:40:56 AM »
I agree. 3 would be better but I suppose a striker is essential.  ;D One seems okay so I agree that a 4-1-4-1 formation makes more sense.

That's explained very well. Perhaps Jim could pass it on to Roy. You're never too old to learn.  :P

I hope you'll remember this when we play Birmingham and see how close you were.

So 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 it is then. We're going to need to win the right to play against Birmingham. Time to dig deep.