December 11, 2019, 01:51:23 PM

Poll

How far do you think we'll get in the Europa League???

Kings of Europe (well more like Prince's of Europe)
3 (50%)
Runners up
0 (0%)
Semi's
1 (16.7%)
Quarters
1 (16.7%)
last 16
1 (16.7%)
last 32
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Europa League  (Read 10959 times)

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
Europa League
« on: February 18, 2010, 02:33:08 PM »
How does everyone think we'll do tonight and how far can we go in it?

I'd be gutted if we didnt make the final. A European final is a cracking few days away and without doubt the best moments as a fan. Even Athens was a great trip despite the result.

Despite Unirea being in the champions league this season and doing ok, i think we'll win comfortably tonight 3-0, with Pacheco getting some minutes and impressing again.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
Re: Europa League
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 02:34:15 PM »
Is anyone else going tonight?

centenaryjonny

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 03:16:36 PM »
Yeah, I'm going.  In truth I didnt really want to, a lot of money that I dont have at the mo, but I'm glued into that Champions league ticket scheme, which I only found out last week also automatically sends you Europa league tickets too!!!!

My old man and me both sit next to each other in the centenary, but for some reason with these european games this is impossible, so he's by the half way line I think, whilst I'm over by the Anny Road!!!  Why we cant just have our seats I dont know!!

But having said that, got the usually pre match buzz now, so happy I'm going, and looking forward to seeing a few goals.

I'd prob go 3-0 too, but I'm gonna stick my neck out and shove a fiver on 4-1!!

Hope the Aqua man plays tonight, and we dont get an stupid injuries!

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 05:22:58 PM »
Liverpool can expect a tough ride from Unirea Urziceni when the two sides meet at Anfield in Thursday’s Europa League clash, according to a Romanian football expert.

Emanuel Rosu, of the Gazeta Sportuliror, told Goal.com UK that despite losing influential coach Dan Petrescu in December, Unirea were heading to Anfield full of confidence, and ready to attack their more illustrious hosts under new coach Rony Levy.

“Dan Petrescu created the team, so it's hard to expect a rapid change in style,” said Rosu, “though from what I've seen in the friendlies Unirea played this winter, Rony Levy tries a slightly more offensive approach.

“General manager Mihai Stoica was in charge at Steaua when they played against Liverpool in the UEFA Cup and, if you remember, the Romanians did pretty well. He has said the usual classic stuff – that Unirea has nothing to lose, and will go to Anfield to make it a special game.

"Interestingly, they traveled to Merseyside over a week ago, and have been training at Everton's training ground. David Moyes' brother regularly organizes Unirea's tours of Scotland - which they have done for the past three years. They played a friendly against [non-league side] Northwich Victoria on Monday to give them some match-practice.

“I guess Unirea have to be realistic, they know they can’t go to Anfield and kill their opponents - like they can with [domestic rivals] Ceahlaul or Alba Iulia."

Unirea impressed many with their showing in a tough Champions League group - that included Sevilla, Stuttgart and Rangers - this term, and whilst Rosu admits the side has been weakened by sales in the January transfer window, he believes the Romanian champions have enough quality to ensure Liverpool do not have an easy passage into the last 16.

"Unirea lost two very important players - Tiberiu Balan and Dacian Varga - in the transfer window," says Rosu. "They were loaned from Sportul Studentesc, a club from the second division. Petrescu is a very good friend of Sportul's owner, and he agreed to let Balan and Varga play for free at Unirea, but now they have left. I don't think we can expect any great tactical surprise from Levy, Unirea usually like to attack, and are especially effective on the counter, but perhaps at Anfield they will be a little more cautious. Unirea's best player is Marius Bilasco, who is the side's top scorer this season. He is the target man, he isn't especially tall but he is great in the air and brings midfielders into the game. Iulian Apostol, Sorin Frunza and, if he's fit, Raul Rusescu are also excellent players, whilst the Argentine Pablo Brandan is a real talent, though he has recently asked to leave the club so is a doubt for the game. They are not major names, but they have enough ability to compete - as seen in the Champions League this season."

Indeed, Unirea are the seeded side in this tie - allowing them to play the second leg on home soil. However, due to the size of their home stadium in Urziceni - which holds just 7,000 fans - Unirea will play their home European games 60 kilometers away at Steaua Bucharest's 28,000-capacity stadium; something Rosu believes has benefited the team this season.

"Steaua's home ground has been great for Unirea," he says, "Urziceni is a small town near Bucharest, but they don't manage to have a full arena there because people are very poor and are more concerned to find things to eat than to go and see football games.

"In Ghencea (Steaua's stadium) they had about 15,000 fans in each of the three UCL games this season and the atmosphere was great!"

Unirea impressed in their maiden Champions League campaign, with their standout result being a 4-1 thrashing of Rangers at Ibrox. Graeme MacPherson of The Glasgow Herald was at that game, and told Goal.com UK that Liverpool should not under-estimate their lowly counterparts.

"Unirea certainly play good football," he says, "They get the ball down and they can pass the ball nicely. Brandan was a real threat, he bombed down the left side all night and caused all kinds of problems for Rangers, it was no surprise that he picked up the fourth goal on the night, and for a left-back his sense of adventure was very impressive. I guess the highest compliment you could pay Unirea was that I saw Sevilla at Ibrox as well, and they were no better than the Romanians in terms of football. Indeed Unirea beat Sevilla over in Bucharest, so they are certainly no pushover."
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 05:33:29 PM »
some interesting things above - e.g. Unirea have been in Liverpool for over a week now, training over at Everton's training ground.  David Moyes brother organised their close-season tours of Scotland, these past three years.

Anyroads.  If we are not on top of our game, this opponent is a potential banana skin. 

I wouldn't want to be depending on going to Romania, for the second leg, needing to win.

I'll go for a 3-0 tonight  (I just hope they don't get an away goal)

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 10:19:01 PM »
Im the pessimistic one whos voted us only getting as far as the quarters. Obviously it depends on who we would meet if we are to go forward in the competition but to be honest i think we would struggle against the likes of Milan if we were to come up against the likes of them.

As for tonight aside from Ngogs goal the only positive of the night for me was Pacheco getting minutes on the pitch.

You can say the fact we didn't concede again was another highlight but we should be hitting teams like this for 6.

Woeful performance against an inferior opposition. Plenty of possession but in essence we did very little with it.

The more the season drags on the more we look about 5 or 6 players short of being a top side.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 10:19:31 PM »
Dire game against a side not interested in playing in our half until they eventually conceeded a goal. We really struggle to break down sides who park the bus.

Earlier in the season we seemed to know how to break them down but tonight there was still lots of sideways and backward passing and passes to men stood still. Anyway, 1-0 is something I suppose.

Babel deserves to be given a start in our next game and also next Thursday for the return leg. His attitude seems to have improved and he did far more than Riera who I thought should have been taken off after 30 mins. Good too to see Pacheco brought on who setup Ngog's goal. Wonder when we'll see him again? I'm not holding my breath.

I voted for the semi's. Our lack of firepower will eventually be our undoing. Here's a damning statistic for you. We haven't scored more than 2 goals in a game since the demolition of Hull (6-1) on 26 September.  :(
Cheers,
Ray

centenaryjonny

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 06:26:43 PM »
Its embarrasing enough to be in this competition, but to struggle the way we did against a team like that is just wrong.

Aqualani seems to get worse with every game!  He was nowhere last night, and Riera and Aurellio shouldnt be at the club let alone on the pitch!

Another dire performance from our attacking tactical genius manager!!!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 08:47:37 PM »
Another dire performance from our attacking tactical genius manager!!!

Agreed, those two open goals he missed were embarrassing, even Houllier would have buried them.

C.J - regarding seats on European nights. Don't some of the season ticket holders get moved to accomodate corporates?
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 05:48:08 PM »
I've got a feeling we'll be alot better 2night. Well we cant be any worse.

I'm going for 2-1 to the reds. Mascherano man of the match and Torres and Gerrard to look completely different than they did monday.

Come on boys!!!

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 06:37:40 PM »
Not very impressed with what I've seen so far. I predict a single goal but couldn't say which side will get it.  ::)
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 06:53:47 PM »
Hasnt been great but we got a bit better as the half went on. Half times come at the wrong time

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 06:58:13 PM »
Agreed Kopite. Babel should have chipped the 'keeper.  :(
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 08:21:37 PM »
This is getting very painful to watch :'(

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 08:21:51 PM »
What a load of donkey p*ss.

This team/squad is starting to look finished as a group.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 08:27:09 PM by Juan »