August 25, 2019, 09:26:52 PM

Author Topic: Reina to sign new contract  (Read 1604 times)

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
Reina to sign new contract
« on: March 07, 2010, 07:22:28 PM »
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_6006109,00.html

Benitez delight at Reina deal-Reds shot-stopper agrees to new contract at Anfield

Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez has expressed his delight that Pepe Reina has agreed to sign a new deal, and labelled him the best goalkeeper in the country.

The 27-year-old Spain international has agreed a contract extension at Anfield, after a number of Europe's top clubs had been sniffing around him.

Reina has been a mainstay in the Liverpool team since moving from Villarreal in 2005, having come through the ranks at Barcelona.

He has not yet put pen-to-paper on a new deal, but has committed himself to the club, much to the pleasure of his manager.

"We are really pleased because I remember at the beginning people said 'for

England, in the air, he is not the best'," said Benitez.

"He is the best in England, miles away from the others, and we are really pleased to keep him here for a long time.

"He is always organising the defenders and is more than a keeper.

"Sometimes the style of goalkeepers is for them to be really good in the six-yard box, Pepe is really good in the 18-yard box.

"When you talk about a goalkeeper in a top side he normally doesn't have much to do.

"To be involved in this game especially at the end and the save shows the level of the player.

"Pepe is a key player and it is 100% he will continue with us. Since he came from Villarreal always he has shown his character and his passion, his commitment with the club."

Reds midfielder Javier Mascherano is also expected to agree a new deal in the near future.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
Re: Reina to sign new contract
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 07:28:48 PM »
Great news. Best keeper we've had in a long time. And if Mascherano signs a new deal i'll be over the moon. He's been back to his best over the past couple of months ;D

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 11:31:47 PM »
Pleased that Pepe is so happy on Merseyside and pleasantly surprised Masch looks like signing an extension. He must have persuaded his missus it's a nice place to live and we're guaranteed a nice summer this year.  ;D

I can't imagine for a minute it was press gossip that had him moving to Barca this year.  ::)
Cheers,
Ray

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 02:47:38 PM »
will be great to see Reina and Monster signing new contracts.

I'll believe the latter when I see it though.  I would not be surprised to see our argie midfielder leave in the summer.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 03:13:32 PM »
will be great to see Reina and Monster signing new contracts.

I'll believe the latter when I see it though.  I would not be surprised to see our argie midfielder leave in the summer.

Really Dude? Even before Rafa announced he wanted to extend his contract his attitude was not that of someone wanting away in the summer. He seems more pumped up than ever.

Of couse were a silly money offer to come in then things may change.  :(
Cheers,
Ray

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 07:02:04 PM »
my feeling ASI, is that Monster was highly peeved at not being allowed to leave for Barcelona last summer.  And you can see how his disillusion affected his form this season.  It's only in the past month or two, that we have started to see him get back to a decent level of performance.

Fair play to the lad, he's been smart enough to keep his thoughts, these past 9 months, out of the media.

It's just my hunch, but I don't think his attitude has suddenly turned around overnight. 

Come the summer, it will only take Man City, Real Madrid or Barcelona to come sniffing, and he will be off.  And our owners would probably be delighted to get the money.

Just my opinion.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 08:31:35 PM »
Interesting take Dude. You could well be right. OTOH, remember he was captain of Argentina and they really were struggling to qualify for the WC. I think that played heavily on him in the early part of the season.

Once they'd qualified his attitude and performance seemed to improve. Coincidence? Only you can decide.  ;)
Cheers,
Ray