2 (13.3%)
No-But my support for him is running thin
6 (40%)
No-Give him at least another year to turn things around
4 (26.7%)
Definately Not-He's the man for the job and has got my 100% support
3 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Rafa's Future.  (Read 30453 times)

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
Rafa's Future.
« on: March 10, 2010, 07:16:19 PM »
So what does everyone think? I watched This is Anfield on LFC TV on Monday night and a few knives came out for Rafa. Just wanted to see what the opinions are on here?

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
Re: Rafa's Future.
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 07:33:36 PM »
I voted to give him another year. As much as i am very dissapointed at the way this year has gone and is likely to finish, i believe that he can turn things around next season and restore us to the side that swept away Real Madrid and the scum at Old Trafford. 

But has he lost the dressing room?

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 09:17:26 PM »
I voted "No but my patience is running thin". No decision should be taken until the end of the season.

It's clear we haven't been playing good football all season but he does not try changing things. Babel had a decent game a couple of weeks ago and deserved a start in the next game but he just warmed the bench. That is so typical of the man. STubborn bugger!

We have Kelly who put in a good performance at RB but what does he do against Wigan? Play Masch at RB and takes him away from a key central role. Why can't the reserves get a decent chance? Pacheco looks really good but never features even when he had a good 20 mins in the Europa League.

And it doesn't matter how dire Lucas is he will always get a game. He has his favourites which is wrong. No-one has a divine right to be in the first 11 unless they deserve it.

I do believe there is unrest with the players hence the poor performance all season. Even when we've won games the performance hasn't been outstanding. And too many of our games have been absolutely dire.

If you had a manager who insisted on doing things a certain way and you knew it wouldn't work you would get irritated. That might explain why Gerrard has been poor for so long. And if your captain isn't happy it spreads like a virus.

No point voting to eject him until the replacements are known. Would I take Mouhrino? Not sure. Hiddinck? Absolutely!
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 09:53:02 PM »
I think Hiddink is in charge of Ivory Coast for the world cup and then takes over as the Turkish national team manager after that.so he's unavailable now

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 10:30:51 PM »
Has our standing fallen that much that if there was a decision to be made between managing us or Turkey he would chose the latter?

Then again, who would make the decision to sack Rafa? H&G? God forbid they would do it without taking advice from Dalglish and CP.

We have so many problems with debt management, poorly motivated players, no funds for new players and little chance of CL football next season.

And to top it all the bloody Mancs just keep on getting stronger with even players like Nani improving. And our star striker misses chance after chance. I don't think there's been a more depressing time to be a supporter.  :(
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 11:43:33 PM »
The reason I think i tend to give Rafa a bit of a reprieve is because of the two muppets that own the club. As much as I hate the way we are playing, the constant claims we've turned a corner from the players and the lame excuses from Rafa my angst, anger and dismay at the state of club affairs always seems to end up being directed at the American owners.

They dont pick the team, they dont buy the players , change the tactics but their ongoing presence at the club has continued to leave a dark shadow haning over the club, its supporters and its financial position. The clubs position weighs heavily on me as a supporter.

To sum up what im trying to say is I think the priority should be to find new owners and after that the managers position should be looked at.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 08:25:31 AM »
Reading that Tomkins piece was interesting...hadn't known about the carragher power play, puts in to perspective the outburst at the weekend and the 'play me or i'm off' attitude..if both Carra and Gerrard are creating dissent off the field, and on (by sulking and therefore not playing)...this strikes me as a disgrace. No players are bigger than the club.

But then no manager is either. Sure Rafa has been hindered by the 2 yanks but he's irritating beyond belief with his negativity and his favourites. If we play defensively against stoke, wigan and blackburn we show we're scared of them, we should be playing them off the park.

I like Rafa and he'd given me some of the greatest nights of football celebration but he needs to change as well. No more negativity (when we threw the gauntlet down last march we went on to win everything - granted with alonso), he needs to clamp down on the dissenters and drop them if need be...if gerrard is too busy sulking then he's of no use anyway, he destablises the rest of the players with his tuts and hissy fits, everyone then gets nervous..we did allright when he was injured with aquilani beginning to show his worth. I think Gerrard needs reminding of this.

Rafa will not be sacked because of the contract he is on. He might walk if Real come calling in the summer as they've just been dumped out of the CL. If he can start to steer the ship away from the iceberg in the next few games and we see a change in both him and the team, then he might be able to get us out of this mess. If he does the 'business as normal' then he's gone.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 11:18:57 AM »
It now looks extremely likely that Real Madrid will be looking for a new manager. Real want success in Europe after failing to qualify for the quarters 6 years on the bounce. I would be very surprised if Rafa's not top of their list, even given our season. Looks like theres alot of 'fun & games' on the horizon 

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 11:51:29 AM »
It now looks extremely likely that Real Madrid will be looking for a new manager. Real want success in Europe after failing to qualify for the quarters 6 years on the bounce. I would be very surprised if Rafa's not top of their list, even given our season. Looks like theres alot of 'fun & games' on the horizon 

If and I say If he went....who the hell would we get to replace him?  In my eyes Hiddink was that man but he's got other plans now.  Maybe LFC will be forced to stick it out with Rafa as there are no suitable replacements around at the minute?
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 04:03:17 PM »
I agree that theres no stand out candidate across Europe that I'd be happy with. Looking closer to home Matin O'Neil could do a job, but would Torres, Reina, and Mascherano hang around if Rafa did leave? I suspect not.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 04:38:55 PM »
have been in costa rica these past few days.....thus did not manage to see the wigan game.

for me, Rafa's team has never looked the same since his assistant Paco left for Spain.  We do not chase down the ball, when the opposition have it, to the same extent now.

But it goes far deeper than that.  We have a very poor captain.  The lad has a tiny brain, and a major lack of tactical discipline when it comes to his midfield work.  From all that I have been hearing, the young Wigan midfielder (McCarthy) totally bossed Gerrard in the middle the other night.  Surprise, surprise.  We need to control the midfield.  We have not done that consistently for near 20 years.

His corners are dire (can't get over the first man, or are hit over the top, and far too hard).   

His free kicks too, are average at best. 

Carra seems to think he needs a guaranteed first team place, or else he won't sign a new contract.  An interesting attitude for a 32 year old, who has always struggled with pace.  In that case, thanks Jamie and collect your P45 on the way out the door.

And if these past two seasons are indicative of Torres future fitness, then I would be extremely tempted to see 100 million offers from City this summer.

For me, though major questions will be asked behind closed doors, Rafa is ok if he finishes say in the top 6.  7th or 8th is dangerous.  Below 8th and I think it's over.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

BandWMisery

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 12:19:51 PM »
Hehe I was just reading that we have a young and upcoming manager that hopefully will get us promoted and as champions(Looking more likely each week) one better than McLeish.(Please, please take him, that's CH)

I hope for your sakes that is BS, as even I can see you're better with who you've got over him.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 12:22:01 PM by BandWMisery »

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 12:34:16 PM »
http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Liverpool-keeping-a-close-eye-on-Alex-McLeish-s-contract-talks-with-Birmingham-as-Rafa-Benitez-continues-to-struggle-at-Anfield-article353255.html

:o

If there was any truth in that story (which after Klinsmann I wouldn't be surprised) it would further highlight that there doesnt seem to be anybody at the club with an ounce of football knowledge. It would be one thing to replace Rafa but something very different to replace him with someone who has won less and has less all round top level experience.

Houllier brought in dodgy french players, rafa has brought in a few dodgy spaniards from time to time so if McLeish were to keep up the trend would we be signing Kenny Miller and the likes........

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2010, 02:27:41 PM »
http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Liverpool-keeping-a-close-eye-on-Alex-McLeish-s-contract-talks-with-Birmingham-as-Rafa-Benitez-continues-to-struggle-at-Anfield-article353255.html

:o

:D   Gurdeep, I came in late last night, to find that article. 

Articles in the Mirror (and the People) always provide for a good chuckle.

Before hitting the pillow last night, I also had a laugh at Patrick Barclay's notion that Jamie Carragher could succeed Benitez.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/columnists/patrick_barclay/article7060316.ece

And this from the Times Chief Football Commentator.    It indicates a very poor level of understanding of the game.  But Lawton's the same (Independent).  Good journalists - but very poor understanding of football.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.