December 12, 2019, 09:13:53 AM

Poll

Should we play the reserves or youth team or even under 14's so Man U dont get NO.19?

Yes
3 (42.9%)
No
2 (28.6%)
Depends on results for top 4 on saturday
2 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: LIVERPOOL VS CHELSEA  (Read 12159 times)

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
LIVERPOOL VS CHELSEA
« on: April 26, 2010, 11:43:49 AM »
What do you think?

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: LIVERPOOL VS CHELSEA
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 12:15:43 PM »
Whilst it's tempting just to see Taggart's head final explode if we were to hand Chelsea the game, whilst ever we have a mathmatical chance of fourth, however incredibly slim that is, we must go for the win.

Even if the Mancs do overtake us, we need to think of our future and that is best served by trying to secure fourth. Finishing outside the top four will make it harder to finish inside it next season and so it starts a vicious circle which takes us ever further away from the chance to secure OUR 19th title.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 02:31:11 PM »
If City beat Villa and Spurs beat Bolton on Saturday, and we've beaten Atletico on Thursday, I think we may see Rafa 'rest' a few players anyway, although that's more likely to occur in the Hull game 3 days before the final. It's a shame the Man City v Spurs game on Wed May 5th wasn't a week earlier as our fate would be known before Sunday.

Strange hows there so little talk about how Steve Bruce's Sunderland are going to do against the Mancs the day before.

Worst case scenario - we lose to Chelsea and Hull, Chelsea lose to Wigan, United beat Sunderland and Stoke, Everton beat Stoke and Portsmouth. We come 8th, Everton take our Europa League place, United win the league.

Best case scenario - We beat Chelsea and Hull, Chelsea beat Wigan, United lose to Sunderland and Stoke, Villa and City draw, Spurs lose to Bolton, City and Spurs draw, Villa lose to Blackburn, Spurs lose to Burnley, City lose to West Ham, we come 4th, Chelsea win the league.

Nightmare situation - Sunderland beat United, we lose to Chelsea, the Mancs and Chelsea both win their last game, Spurs, Villa, City's results go our way meaning we could have beaten Chelsea, they'd still win the title despite that and we could have got fourth.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 02:42:13 PM by Tes »

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 02:48:28 PM »
For the integrity of the game and the club and as long as we have a chance of fourth we have to go out to win.

Ideally it would be strangely great to see Chelsea win the league at Anfield as Blackburn did 15 or 16 years ago but only because it would mean United haven't won 19.

As Tes has already suggested though we need to forget the obsession with United and 19 and look to getting LFC back to where it belongs.

In the mean time I think its only a matter of time before United pass us out

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 06:54:44 PM »
4th place is gone - the THREE teams above us, would ALL need to slip up.

And as much as I want to win the Europa Cup this season, I really don't care much if we qualify for it next season.

I want Chelsea to win at Anfield....simple as that.

I've never said that before i.e. that I wanted Liverpool to lose.

But I don't want to hand the title to United.

Ferguson, on the last day of the season a year or two back, put out a very much weakened United side at Old trafford - for the massive game against West Ham.  The result was that Tevez scored for West Ham, to win the game at Old trafford...and consign Sheff Utd to relegation. 

Ferguson has very few scruples.

I'd rest several key men for this weekend's game.

Come on Chelsea!

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 07:56:47 PM »
I agree dude. if we cant be in the champions league which i dont think we will be i'd rather not be in the Europa league next year and concentrate on the league. But its whether the financial whole of not being in europe at all would be so great that key players might have to be sacrificed to balance the books. But then the club will look alot less attractive to potential owners so its a catch 22 :o :o

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 08:14:25 PM »
But its whether the financial whole of not being in europe at all would be so great that key players might have to be sacrificed to balance the books. But then the club will look alot less attractive to potential owners so its a catch 22 :o :o

agreed, kopite.

I look at it from the positive, of it being the final nail in the coffin of our yankee owners.

if it means the club sells for 250 million quid this summer, with a host of interested investors, as opposed to not selling for 500 million, then the Europa Cup is a price well worth paying.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 08:32:33 PM »
It's so incredibly sad that we're now talking about things in financial terms and not football terms.

As far as football goes I want us in European competition EVERY season. We're one of the most successful teams both in terms of the European Cup and the UEFA Cup and another victory in Hamburg in May would reinforce that.

We need to be careful what we wish for. United getting to no 19 and overtaking us is an irrelevance when compared to our future. Once we drop out of the top four it will be so much harder to get back in.

City will strengthen massively whether they get fourth or not.
Spurs always have money and if they just miss out will strengthen to try and go one better next season, if they make it they will strengthen even more, knowing they have the potential CL pot of gold.
Villa, I'm guessing will strengthen if they make fourth otherwise I can see them maybe sticking with what they've got or only doing a bit of tweaking. Either way, their squad has proved to be better than ours so far this season.
Arsenal will add one or two, no more, it's not Wenger's way, but even doing that season after season, and with the injuries they've suffered over the past two seasons, they've always proved themselves good enough to remain in the top four quite comfortably.

Then there's us. Unlike the last two Summers, I can't see there being a £20M signing, in fact if we have £20M gross to spend it will be down to the sales we've made, players that will then need replacing one way or the other, either directly or in terms of squad numbers.
European football, even if it's in the Europa League, is an attraction for players. Of course some will be honoured to play for Liverpool Football Club, but playing for our club in European competition is obviously more attractive and if we don't even qualify for the Europa League how can we expect players to see it as a blip and have any confidence that they will have the chance of playing Champions League football the season after next?

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 08:40:57 PM »
I'd rest Reina, Carragher, Monster, Captain Marvel, Aggers, Kuyt and Rodriguez.

And all the better if Chelsea's winning goal comes from a dodgy penalty, that goes in, off the underside of the crossbar and the back of our goalie's head, 5 minutes into 3 mins of added on injury time.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 09:55:06 PM »
If after saturday,  CL Football is impossible, then I'd like to see at 0-0 deep in injury time, Kyriakos 'accidently on purpose' head in an own goal and cement his place as a kop icon :D. I was even chatting with friends earlier about the possibility of chanting for Chelsea. But we agreed this would be too much. As much as i hate them, my hatred for the mancs is alot lot greater.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 09:56:11 PM »
agreed, kopite.

I look at it from the positive, of it being the final nail in the coffin of our yankee owners.

if it means the club sells for 250 million quid this summer, with a host of interested investors, as opposed to not selling for 500 million, then the Europa Cup is a price well worth paying.

Dude, I'm not sure one season of Champions League wilderness will have affect on the value, as any potential buyer will be looking longer term at the potential growth the club has in terms on stadium and the untapped merchandising and other commercial possibilities. However if the chumps remain here past the end of next season and we fail again then we might start to see a drop as our reputation in European football would start to become tarnished and the investment needed to retake a place at Europe's top trough would be even greater as our rivals would have moved further ahead of us than they are already having benefitted from will amount to two more seasons of CL loot than we've benefitted from.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 10:46:24 PM »
If after saturday,  CL Football is impossible, then I'd like to see at 0-0 deep in injury time, Kyriakos 'accidently on purpose' head in an own goal and cement his place as a kop icon :D .

LOL

yes, someone could become an absolute hero on the Kop, this coming weekend!

Beardy Kyokias could become a Greek God.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 10:48:48 PM »
Dude, I'm not sure one season of Champions League wilderness will have affect on the value, as any potential buyer will be looking longer term at the potential growth the club has in terms on stadium and the untapped merchandising and other commercial possibilities. However if the chumps remain here past the end of next season and we fail again then we might start to see a drop as our reputation in European football would start to become tarnished and the investment needed to retake a place at Europe's top trough would be even greater as our rivals would have moved further ahead of us than they are already having benefitted from will amount to two more seasons of CL loot than we've benefitted from.

all very good points, Tes.

but

Come on Chelsea! 

Penalty ref!!!!!  Definite penalty in front of the Kop.  Lamps broke a nail.  Stonewall penalty.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 12:05:56 AM »
I'd rest Reina, Carragher, Monster, Captain Marvel, Aggers, Kuyt and Rodriguez.

As much as I would love Chelsea to beat United to the title Dude think of what your saying. If Liverpool were to put out a much weakened team just to influence the outcome of the league title then I think its says much more about how far this club has fallen from grace than it would about United surpassing us.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 12:48:12 AM »
As much as I would love Chelsea to beat United to the title Dude think of what your saying. If Liverpool were to put out a much weakened team just to influence the outcome of the league title then I think its says much more about how far this club has fallen from grace than it would about United surpassing us.

all salient points, Juan.

but best if the blues winner comes 5 mins into 3 mins of added time.

a dodgy penalty (Lamps fouled outside the box, but a penalty given)..........or a deflected Reina clearance, that cannons in off the ref.