September 23, 2017, 01:03:30 AM

Author Topic: An interesting stat from the World Cup  (Read 1590 times)

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
An interesting stat from the World Cup
« on: June 30, 2010, 06:44:18 PM »
Of the eight teams who made it through to the quarter-finals seven topped their groups.

The exception was Ghana who played the USA. The USA topped their group with a last minute goal against Algeria.

Now I'm not saying we would have won the Cup but had that goal not gone in we would have played Ghana, not Germany and I'd like to think England, whilst not brilliant, were good enough to beat Ghana.

On such small things so much changed. Your thoughts may differ.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: An interesting stat from the World Cup
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 07:05:04 PM »
interesting stat, asi.

but no, england were never good enough.  Their defence was as slow as a carthorse.......whenever they met anyone decent, they were always gonna be going home.

indeed, I think ghana would have run them ragged.

technically, england were very poor.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 12:54:33 PM »
Dude, I'm not saying we would have won the WC but by finishing second in the group we had a path of Germany, Argentina and Spain to even get to the final.

OTOH, if we'd finished top then a path of Ghana, Uruguay and Brazil would possibly have eliminated us at 1/4 final or at best the semi-final which would have at least been palatable.

The defence includes Ashley Cole and Glen Johnson who aren't carthorses. It was a lack of discipline that lost us those last two goals to Germany. That and a certain stubborness from the manager over formation.

Anyway, the WC pain has subsided now and with the appointment of Roy I'm hopeful we can start the season positively.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 05:47:52 PM »
Dude, I'm not saying we would have won the WC but by finishing second in the group we had a path of Germany, Argentina and Spain to even get to the final.

OTOH, if we'd finished top then a path of Ghana, Uruguay and Brazil would possibly have eliminated us at 1/4 final or at best the semi-final which would have at least been palatable.

The defence includes Ashley Cole and Glen Johnson who aren't carthorses. It was a lack of discipline that lost us those last two goals to Germany. That and a certain stubborness from the manager over formation.

Anyway, the WC pain has subsided now and with the appointment of Roy I'm hopeful we can start the season positively.

yes, but england couldn't win their group, asi........usa, algeria and slovenia.  indeed their efforts were pitiful.

and sorry but glen johnson is very poor defensively.

ashley cole is a great defender/attacker......but carragher is woefully slow...and upson is not much better.

to have any chance, the defence needed help, both from a disciplined central midfield in front of them (which they didn't get).....and from a keeper who could help out by sweeping (which james didn't do).

england got everything they deserved from the tournament.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.